Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship (973 Views)

500 Fulani Herdsmen Ready To Attack Imo/Anambra Communities / Tension As Oil Spill Destroy Communities In Niger Delta / Panic In Anambra Communities Over Arrival Of Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by zimoni(f): 9:06pm On May 14, 2015
Source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/herdsmen-anambra-communities-in-cat-and-mouse-relationship/By Vincent Ujumadu

AWKA — HERDSMEN who have set up what looks like a permanent abode at the border town of Ugwuoba close to Awka, the Anambra State capital, have become a pain in the neck for the surrounding communities of Amansea, Utoko, Nibo and even the Awka Capital Territory as a result of the menace of their cattle on the farms in the area. Unfortunately, the affected communities appear to be scared of confronting the herdsmen who are often wielding sophisticated weapons while grazing on the people’s farmlands.
So far, the much the people did was speak in hushed tones and the herdsmen seem to be ready to face anybody who dare challenge them for destroying their crops.

Apart from the destruction of farmlands, the presence of the herdsmen at Ugwuoba has created a chaotic traffic situation in the area such that the dual carriage way has been reduced to almost half of one lane due to indiscriminate parking of trailers by drivers, most of who end up there and spend days after discharging their goods in parts of Anambra and Delta states.

An indigene of Amansea, Mr. Jacob Okoli said the menace of cattle on their farmlands has forced them to move across the Amansea River to farm since the herdsmen cannot ferry the cattle across for grazing. According to him, they had previously complained to their traditional ruler over the matter, adding that although meetings were held in that regard in the past, the herdsmen had continued with the destruction of the farms.

He said: “Initially we were driving them out of our farms, but we later noticed that the herdsmen acquired guns which they hung on their backs while grazing. This development frightened our people with the result that we had to abandon our farms close to the area they have converted as their new community at Ugwuoba. “We chose to ignore them because nobody confronts somebody with gun empty handed. We had wondered how the herdsmen acquire the guns they brandish, which they use to intimidate us on our farms.

“Even our river, which is the source of our water supply, had been polluted by the herdsmen as they frequently take the cattle to river where they drink and defecate indiscriminately. In addition, the herdsmen have become a real security and social threat to our people as many girls from our community had become pregnant for the herdsmen who do not even care to marry the girls formally.”

Another community, Utoko in Awka South Local Government Area is also complaining of the menace of cattle in the area. The mainly agrarian community said the herdsmen often graze on their backyards and sometimes frightening children and women with their presence. According to John Ibeh, it is usually disturbing to see people with guns very close to your compound with cattle scattered all over the place.

However, one of the herdsmen, Mallam Aminu said they decided to be carrying guns following frequent theft of their cattle by unknown persons, adding that the theft had reduced considerably since they decided to be providing security for themselves and their cattle. He denied the allegation that the herdsmen take their cattle to farmlands to destroy crops, explaining that such a thing could only happen if they farmland was on their way to a grazing area.

Aminu said: “The people are creating the impression that we are destroying their farms. This is not true. Anytime we have the cause to pass through any farmland, we ensure that out cattle do not eat the crops until we get to our destination.”

Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by zimoni(f): 9:09pm On May 14, 2015
Something has to be done about these Fulani herdsmen. They are giving the whole nation headache.

Ghana is planning on chasing them out of the country.

Wherever they go, they are pain in the as.s

They killed two farmers in Osun state early this year and ran away.

I hope the incoming administration shall look into the issue.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Ikengawo: 9:15pm On May 14, 2015
The incoming admin is one of them

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by funkybully(f): 9:28pm On May 14, 2015
They should not dare Awka, that town is not called blacksmith city for fun. Every household there have locally made Awka gun.

These Fulani are taking more than required.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Scholes007(m): 10:09pm On May 14, 2015
A woman went to her farm in Afikpo only to find out that the Fulani herdsmen and their cattle have destroyed(and was still destroying) everything in her& other peoples farms .Then she went to complain to them (Fulani herdsmen ) but they having noticed that there were few to no persons in the farm as at then gave the woman the beaten of her life. The lady had to struggle back home to tell her sorry, this prompted the youths to go and enquire why such happened but when the herds men saw the youths (which i was among the first batch) the opened fire, it made some of the youths to get back home and source for arms. When arms came and the herdsmen where over powered, they were tied and their cattle shot at random...but to the greatest surprise some group of men in military uniform came and started arresting some of the youths, when the youths noticed that the soldiers where of Fulani Hausa origin there had to source for bigger arms. The soldier sensing that they were not welcome started shooting sporadically in the air but where replied by some the youths...they had to release the youths they held captive....and there was dialog,the herdsmen were given limits and they abide by it strictly.
On my own view people should replicate these or even more for that's the only language they understand (note it is not only the herdsmen you will be fighting but also some very rich Fulani
men within and outside the state therein)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Yujin(m): 10:54pm On May 14, 2015
Any Igbo community that does not stand firm to secure their farmlands from these herdsmen should be wiped out. This is my position.
Kudos to Ndi Ebonyi. These are very brave Igbos that I love so much.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by blaqoracle: 12:00am On May 15, 2015
Scholes007:
A woman went to her farm in Afikpo only to find out that the Fulani herdsmen and their cattle have destroyed(and was still destroying) everything in her& other peoples farms .Then she went to complain to them (Fulani herdsmen ) but they having noticed that there were few to no persons in the farm as at then gave the woman the beaten of her life. The lady had to struggle back home to tell her sorry, this prompted the youths to go and enquire why such happened but when the herds men saw the youths (which i was among the first batch) the opened fire, it made some of the youths to get back home and source for arms. When arms came and the herdsmen where over powered, they were tied and their cattle shot at random...but to the greatest surprise some group of men in military uniform came and started arresting some of the youths, when the youths noticed that the soldiers where of Fulani Hausa origin there had to source for bigger arms. The soldier sensing that they were not welcome started shooting sporadically in the air but where replied by some the youths...they had to release the youths they held captive....and there was dialog,the herdsmen were given limits and they abide by it strictly.
On my own view people should replicate these or even more for that's the only language they understand (note it is not only the herdsmen you will be fighting but also some very rich Fulani
men within and outside the state therein)
nolly wood story of the year.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by SHARIAREPORTERS: 12:02am On May 15, 2015
Buhari brodas Dem wicked pass anytin
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Ojiofor: 12:21am On May 15, 2015
funkybully:
They should not dare Awka, that town is not called blacksmith city for fun. Every household there have locally made Awka gun.

These Fulani are taking more than required.
Akuko uwa.is it until they sack the whole community before they take action.fulanis have turned the whole Nigeria into their grazing field with force of arm.the state government should do something about it asap.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Scholes007(m): 6:45am On May 15, 2015
blaqoracle:
nolly wood story of the year.
i didn't tell someone like you to believe ok...people that where in Ebonyi and Abia can attest to that.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by kettykings: 6:58am On May 15, 2015
If you igbos should stop eating cow meat then foolanis will be finished economically. The problem is that majority of igbos talk 99% but think 1%
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Nobody: 8:12am On May 15, 2015
Are fulanis some sort of special Nigerians such that they are allowed to brandish rifles in broad daylight?

Can any other set of Nigerians openly carry guns and not get harassed by security agents?

4 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by eagleeye2: 8:19am On May 15, 2015
zimoni:

I hope the incoming administration shall look into the issue.
The incoming administration is headed by a Fulani herdsman......General Buhari, and you believe he will do what a exactly to his brothers?

GMB will value those cattle way and above any common Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Yeske2(m): 8:37am On May 15, 2015
I was banned for three days because i insisted on spelling a word the way i wanted but nobody was banned when my moniker was changed from 'yeske!' to 'yeske2'. Oga mode you try and God dey watch you, I don come back.
@topic, this is simply news sensationalism, the Fulani herdsmen in Ugwuoba and Amansea actually limited their business to areas they operate and please remove my country home Nibo from that article. Herdsmen roam every part of the country even in large cities as Onitsha and Lagos so what's the fuss.
Nobody is saying the herdsmen ain't causing problems wherever they go but the ones around Ugwuoba and Amansea are there just to sell their cows and not that nonsense that author wrote.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:54am On May 15, 2015
it is not by force to eat beef, abeg make this people go there town na
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by eaglechild: 9:00am On May 15, 2015
Yeske2:
I was banned for three days because i insisted on spelling a word the way i wanted but nobody was banned when my moniker was changed from 'yeske!' to 'yeske2'. Oga mode you try and God dey watch you, I don come back.
@topic, this is simply news sensationalism, the Fulani herdsmen in Ugwuoba and Amansea actually limited their business to areas they operate and please remove my country home Nibo from that article. Herdsmen roam every part of the country even in large cities as Onitsha and Lagos so what's the fuss.
Nobody is saying the herdsmen ain't causing problems wherever they go but the ones around Ugwuoba and Amansea are there just to sell their cows and not that nonsense that author wrote.
It think they constitute more of an environmental hazard in that location.
Just like they do at Lokpanta.
Re: Herdsmen, Anambra Communities In Cat And Mouse Relationship by Nobody: 9:06am On May 15, 2015
If they can trample on your farmlands and get away with it, then maybe you don't deserve those farmlands to start with. You are igbos, the community is yours and so are the farmlands. How come you are being intimidated by a bunch of fulani people in your community, on your lands? Shame even gree you complain!
Smh for chest beaters. The sooner you make them realise the east is not the west, the better for you. Igbos please there is nothing romantic about being victms all the time. If you continue to be weak, you will forever remain the whining, complaining, chest beating tribe.
Handle this problem before it gets out of hand and stop embarrassing yourselves!

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Dissolves Cabinet Tomorrow-daily Trust / Pictures Of World Leaders Taking A Dump / NDLEA Explains Why Buruji Kashamu Is Under House Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.