Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,468 members, 7,812,431 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 (7946 Views)

Fight At Agege Stadium As Shooting Stars Beats MFM FC 1-0(pics) / NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Kano Pillars (0 - 1) On 6th May 2015 / NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Heartland (1 - 2) On 14th March, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 1:00pm On May 15, 2015
[b]Shooting Stars Vs Enugu Rangers

Venue: Lekan Salami Stadium, Ibadan

City: Ibadan

Date: 17/5/2015

Time: 16:00

Match Hashtag: #SHORAN

Hello Soccer loving fans, this is the one we 've all been waiting for..... the clash of the titans!

Welcome to the live coverage of Nigerian Premier League clash between Shooting Stars of Ibadan and Enugu Rangers from the LKS.
The biggest game on African soil is upon as the rivals lock horn for the first time in 2 years.

My name is Crown Prince and I will be your guide through all the actions coming up from the Lekan Salami Stadium in Ibadan.

TEAM NEWS: Rangers Onoriode Odah has been handed a super eagles call up after some fantastic display this season. He remains Rangers highest goal scorer with 3 goal including the fantastic strike against Heartland which was awarded goal of the week in all African league by Super Sport. Femi Ajayi Junior of the Olympic team is Shooting Stars highest goal scorer with 2 goals in 4 games.

Rangers is coming into this game with a win over oriental derby rival Heartland while Shootings will be hoping to improve their performance after loosing to South West derby rival and current league leader, Sunshine Stars.

Stay tuned and catch all the fun upcoming from the ancient city of Ibadan.

[/b]

2 Likes

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 1:26pm On May 15, 2015
[b]COMPARISM WITH EL-CLASICO
Today we can say this is the Nigerian version of El-clasico but in the 80s, El-clasico is second to the Shooting Star Vs Rangers rivalry. It is arguably most fierce rivalry in the world. You can ask and confirm from your football loving Dad or Grandfather.

HISTORY OF THE RIVALRY
* The rivalry was the greatest on African soil in the 80s and arguably the most fierce in the world if not for racism. It was closely followed on the continent by Cairo derby between Al Ahly and Zamalek.

* The rivalry was majorly between Igbo and Yoruba tribe. Shooting Stars are majorly Yorubas while Rangers are Igbos.

* The rivalry was fierce to the extent it affected the country's national team. The green eagles was full of Ranger and Shooting star players, due to the rivalry between them, they were against each other in the team. Rangers Christian Chukwu speaks only Igbo in the team and Sam Ojebode speak pure Yoruba to motivate the team. Nigeria should have made world cup appearance in 1978 but the hatred between them cost us the ticket.

* Nigeria greatest players of all time such as Segun Odegbami, Christian Chukwu, Rashidi Yekini, Adokiye Amiesimaka, Best Ogedengbe, Emmanuel Okala, Samuel Ojebode, Slyvanus Okpala,etc played in this rivalry.

* Read more about how fierce the rivalry between this two team was through this link
http://mobi.supersport.com/football/nigeria50/news/110201/Nigerias_greatest_ever_matches_part_1

WHY IT IS MORE FIERCE THAN EL-CLASICO
El-clasico is today world most fierce rivalry but back then in the 80s, it can't stand beside Shooting Stars vs Rangers rivalry. This are my point.
* The record attendance in el-clasico is 98,760. Approximately 120,000 fans watch the match between Shooting and Rangers in a challenge cup match in the late 70s which led to stampede and some fans lost their lives.

* El Clasico since immemorial depends on foreign stars to give it glamour. In the 80s world legend like Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, Alfredo Di Stephano, Ferenz Puskaz, Hugo Sanchez, etc were not spanish but they were the fun to watch in the el-clasico. Imagine an el-clasico today without Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale, Suarez, Benzema, Modric, Dani Alves, etc I know you won't ever bother to watch it. That wasn't the case here, only 4 Ghanian ever played in the rivalry and they add little or no glamour to it.

* El-clasico has witness some crazy result like 5:0, 4:1, 5:2, etc. This won't happen in this rivalry in the 80s, matches are won my mistakes. You have to capitalize on your opponent mistake to win the game.

* Lionel Messi has scored a number of hat-trick in the el-clasico. In the history of this rivalry, I don't think any player has ever score an hat-trick just for once.[/b]

Photo: Rangers' Captain Christian Chukwu and Shooting Stars' captain Sam Ojebode exchanging club's banner before the commencement of the match in the late 70s.

The little crowd the camera was able to capture or you are able to see from the pics should tell you something about the attendance in this rivalry

4 Likes

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 1:26pm On May 15, 2015
[b]PREVIEW
The Glo Premier League returns this weekend from a midweek break that allowed teams participate in the Federation Cup fixtures with the most mouth-watering of the fixtures this Sunday being a clash between traditional rivals and old heavy weights, Shooting Stars of Ibadan and Rangers International of Enugu. There is no rivalry that equates to theirs in terms of longevity even with Shooting Stars occasionally dropping out of top flight league as they did two seasons ago before returning this season to renew the football rivalry.
Three decades ago, this fixture would have dominated conversations in the Nigerian football community as these are two teams that not only ruled the country but were feared even outside the shores. The older generation would readily recall how the likes of Segun Odegbami, Muda Lawal, Christian Chukwu, Okwuchukwu Anigbogu and the rest of that football class of the era mesmerized teams back in the day.
In 1975, Rangers parading the likes of Dominic Nwobodo, Christian Chukwu, Emmanuel Okala and coached by Dan Anyiam claimed all domestic trophies beating Shooting Stars 1-0 in the final. It was the first time any team would achieve that feat in that era. The next year, Shooting Stars then known as IICC Shooting Stars stripped Rangers of the league title but Rangers retained their Challenge Cup beating Ayufsalam Rocks of Ilorin 2-0 in the final. Shooting then stepped up the rivalry the next year by winning the then Africa Cup Winners cup, the first Nigerian side to achieve that success. Rangers will not be outdone as they retained the trophy for Nigeria the next year to claim equal bragging rights on the continent with their rivals.
Head to head in the last five meetings of both sides in the league, Rangers have won three including a 1-0 win at Ibadan on the 12th of June in the 2011 season. Rangers also won 3-2 on April 1 in the 2012 season while Shooting Stars won 1-0 in the corresponding fixture on 29th July of same year. Their most recent meeting before Shooting Stars dropped off the Premier League was in 2012/13 season and each side won on their home turf. Rangers won 2-0 in Enugu on June 19, 2013 while Shooting reciprocated 2-1 in Ibadan on September 22nd.
Both teams have lost one fixture at home in their last five matches this season with Rangers losing 1-0 to Giwa FC and Shooting Stars losing 2-1 to Heartland. However, Rangers have won two out of their last five games while their hosts won just once, losing three and drawing one.
This is the form they take into this weekend's fixture which shows a less than an ideal start to their Premier League campaigns. The clubs thus square up against each other to secure the points first and foremost and for the players, to get their names in the League's history books in what has been a most intriguing Glo Premier League season[/b]

1 Like

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 1:27pm On May 15, 2015
1. Entrance scene of the clash in the 80s
2. Shooting Stars team pics

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 1:37pm On May 15, 2015
1. Another entrance scene in the 70s
2. Ranger fc team pics in the 80s

1 Like

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 1:40pm On May 15, 2015
More pics

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 12:50pm On May 16, 2015
Lekan Salami Stadium

Capacity: 18,000

Owner: Oyo State Government

Built: 1978

Surface: Grass

Cc: Uduokirika1, Taiocol, Krasid, groundnutoil, Honeric01

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by honeric01(m): 1:21pm On May 16, 2015
impressive surface!
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by uduokirika1(m): 1:39pm On May 16, 2015
Visited and just finished discussing dis thread with my dad on this epic rivarly. My Dad who was based in Onitsha then in d 70s told me he bought his fisrt motor bike (Honda CD 175) just because of Rangers FC. Imagine following Rangers every weekend to either owerri, Benin-city and frequenting Enugu from onitsha for home matches. He told a story of how they rode in convoy with his friends to and fro Enugu to watch Rangers home fixtures.
(omo so dis men enjoy life like dis choiiiii**** after dem go dey tell us say dem no enjoy****ifa I hear eeeeeeh!!!)
The Rivalry between Rangers and 3sc is one yet to be equated by any not even d Spanish el clasico. My NYSC days in Oyo state availed me d oppurtunity to assess dis rivalry from d other side of d coin and got to know dat sometime ago in this country fans practically besiege stadia several hours before kickoff if not u will not find any available space 2hrs to kick off. But when it is Rangers vs. 3sc just know dat if you are not in d stadium before. 12noon for a match of 4PM then forget it!!!

But today these two giants ate struggling but that will not erase d nostalgic feeling die hard fans still ve for their respective clubs.

Crownprince102 more MB to ur browser for a job welldone.

2 Likes

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by groundnutoil(m): 2:13pm On May 16, 2015
crownprince102:
Lekan Salami Stadium

Capacity: 18,000

Owner: Oyo State Government

Built: 1978

Surface: Grass

Cc: Uduokirika1, Taiocol, Krasid, groundnutoil, Honeric01
predictions.3sc 1 rangers 2 u go cry again today
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by honeric01(m): 3:21pm On May 16, 2015
crownprince102:
COMPARISM WITH EL-CLASICO
Today we can say this is the Nigerian version of El-clasico but in the 80s, El-clasico is second to the Shooting Star Vs Rangers rivalry. It is arguably most fierce rivalry in the world. You can ask and confirm from your football loving Dad or Grandfather.

* Messi and Ronaldo has scored countless hat-trick in the el-clasico. In the history of this rivalry, I don't think any player has ever score an hat-trick just for once.

Ronaldo scored any hattrick in e-classico not to even mention countless?
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 4:57pm On May 16, 2015
honeric01:

But I 've watched him scored a brace.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 5:00pm On May 16, 2015
groundnutoil:
predictions.3sc 1 rangers 2 u go cry again today
You dey make me laugh..... grin.

Enyimba is loosing, are you aware cheesy
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by honeric01(m): 5:40pm On May 16, 2015
crownprince102:

But I 've watched him scored a brace.

There is a difference between brace and hattrick, not to talk of countless hattrick.

Just advising you on accurate reporting.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 10:04am On May 17, 2015
Players to watch
3SC
* Femi Ajayi Junior
* Rasheed Olabiyi
* Rafael Ademola
* Yinka Adedeji

Rangers
* Solomon Agba
* Emeka Eze
* Onoriode Odah
* Emmanuel Daniel

seun, lalasticlala
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by Krasid(m): 10:21am On May 17, 2015
crownprince102:

You dey make me laugh..... grin.

Enyimba is loosing, are you aware cheesy
I see 3SC dropping at least 2 points today.Nobody is afraid of 3SC anymore.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by Krasid(m): 10:23am On May 17, 2015
honeric01:

Na only dat one you see.Bad belle.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 10:24am On May 17, 2015
Krasid:
Rangers is not in form also

Both team coaches looks clueless. They are ordinary team co-ordinator.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by crownprince102: 10:26am On May 17, 2015
Krasid:
Rangers away form is also bad....... That will give us a boost

I pray they use Agbim in goal grin
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by honeric01(m): 10:34am On May 17, 2015
Krasid:
Na only dat one you see.Bad belle.
Swallow the truth lolz
Sorry eh..Accept my condolence kekekek
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by uduokirika1(m): 5:06pm On May 17, 2015
Crownprince102 e be like 3sc dey chop am dis one wey everywhere dry like dis. But na 3sc 1 : 1 Rangers
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by uduokirika1(m): 5:28pm On May 17, 2015
Lalasticlala, mukina2, seun abeg dis na our own ancient el classico make una move am to f.page 3sc 1: 1 Rangers
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by okooloyun1(m): 5:31pm On May 17, 2015
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by limolalikamaila: 5:33pm On May 17, 2015
Someone should borrow comment for this post
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by carik(m): 5:36pm On May 17, 2015
Up sooting

I heard home teams hardly lose a game in our league.
Ib go grab ya points.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by meforyou1(m): 5:42pm On May 17, 2015
Rangers will win 3-0. Anyone ready to bet?
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by uduokirika1(m): 5:43pm On May 17, 2015
Dolphins 1: 2 Enyimba Gabros 0:0 sharks Abia warriors 0:1 kano pillars
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by oluamid(m): 5:43pm On May 17, 2015
I love this. Keep it up OP. I'm following this thread like Twitter.

1 Like

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by uduokirika1(m): 5:44pm On May 17, 2015
meforyou1:
Rangers will win 3-0. Anyone ready to bet?
3 zero ko when it is already 1:1
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by uduokirika1(m): 5:46pm On May 17, 2015
carik:
Up sooting

I heard home teams hardly lose a game in our league.
Ib go grab ya points.
enyimba and kano pillars are currently leading away

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by oluamid(m): 5:50pm On May 17, 2015
Up sooting!

Please who is watching the match. Describe the goals for us pls.
Re: NPFL: Shooting Stars Vs Rangers (1 - 1) On 17th May 2015 by fredoooooo: 5:51pm On May 17, 2015
See better game .. up sootin , gbele gba da grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Footballer Dele Alli Caught On Video Receiving MouthAction From Prostitute / Dereck Chisora Slaps(!) Vitali Klishkov / Eagles’ Debut, A Dream Come True – Chukwueze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.