Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,128 members, 7,867,270 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:05 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (251805 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:39am On Feb 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo: God Told Me To Reject £300k-A-Week China Offer
[/size]

Odion Ighalo has revealed that he turned down a fresh, mind-boggling offer from China – because God told him to.

The Nigeria striker had previously disclosed that the rich Chinese made an offer last year, but they returned with an even bigger one recently that could have netted him around an incredible £300,000 a week.

“I have 14 goals in the Premier League, how do I go to China now?” Ighalo, who signed a new five-year deal in September thought to be worth about £30,000 a week, told the Daily Mail.

“I was very close. They made a £10m bid and were offering me over £200,000 a week; a four-year contract. I couldn’t sleep for three days. That kind of money is not easy to turn down. Some team-mates in the dressing room were saying, “You can’t miss this chance”. But I don’t jump into decisions like that.

“I prayed about it, and God said it was not for me, no matter how much money it was. I knew God would direct me. When I said I didn’t want to go, they offered me more money, almost £300,000 a week. I told them it’s not about the money.”

Chinese Super League clubs are on an aggressive recruitment drive, having brought in big names like Ranires and Alex Texeira recently and their transfer window is open until February 26.

Ighalo added: “They have called again and I have turned them down again. Maybe if I keep scoring goals, that team will come with triple the money at the end of the season. When the time is right to go to China I will know. If it’s for me it will come to pass.

“When I was in Ajegunle, I was watching the Premier League, dreaming one day I would be part of it. If I keep doing what I’m doing I can enjoy my football in England for four, five or six years.

“I helped this team to promotion. How can I leave because of money? I know money is good.
With that sort of money I can secure my life. But you can’t sell your dream.”

Uber-religious Ighalo explains why he looks to the heavens in supplication whenever he scores a goal.

“Whatever I am now and what I am going to be is through God,” he said.

“I want to return the glory to him when I score goals, and that’s why I go down on my knees, point my hands to the sky and say this goal is dedicated to you. I believe he gave me the strength to score the goals. I don’t care what anyone says about that. I don’t think anything in life will ever stop me believing in God.”

As for the ‘Iggy Scoop’, the deceptive feint he does to get defenders out of the way, he said: ” (Nwankwo) Kanu used to do this at Arsenal. It’s not one of my own, but I’ve been doing it for a long time. I scored a few goals with it in Norway.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-god-told-me-to-reject/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:41am On Feb 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Newcastle, Arsenal, Pompey … Five of the best Nigerians in Prem history
[/size]
[img]http://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/newcastle-arsenal-pompey-five-of-the-best-nigerians-in-prem-history/2[/img]
Written by Ben Hide

Watford’s Odion Ighalo has burst onto the scene in the Premier League this season. 15 goals in all competitions have brought him to the attention of many, but he is not the only eye-catching Nigerian to have graced the Premier League.

Other Nigerian’s plying their trade in the Premier League currently include Manchester City’s emerging young striker Kelechi Iheanacho and Chelsea’s long-serving midfielder John Obi Mikel, amongst others.

The African nation has a history of producing some fantastic players, many of whom have made their mark on English football.

Featuring an exciting blend of pace and power mixed with guile and technical ability, the success of their National side the “Super Eagles” in both the ’94 and ’98 World Cups led to an influx of players joining the ranks of the Premier League over that time and beyond.

Here we look at five of the best to have entertained the crowds of English football fans over the years.
Read more...www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/newcastle-arsenal-pompey-five-of-the-best-nigerians-in-prem-history
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:46am On Feb 07, 2016
[size=14pt]
Dundee United complete signing of Nigerian striker
By Tom Duthie,
[/size]
Dundee United have signed former Inverness Caley Thistle striker Edward Ofere on a deal to the end of the season.

The 29-year-old Nigerian was available after leaving Turkish outfit Boluspor last month.

Ofere scored six goals in 13 appearances for the Caley Jags last term, including one in a 2-1 win over the Tangerines at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium in early May.

He was also in the starting line up as ICT lifted the Scottish Cup by beating Falkirk at Hampden later this money.

He left the Highlands in June after failing to agree a long term contract and headed for Turkey.

Ofere has three caps for Nigeria but United do not require a work permit for him because he also holds a Swedish passport.
www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/02/06/united-complete-signing-of-nigerian-striker/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:07am On Feb 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
I’ll reclaim my Super Eagles shirt —Moses
[/size]
SuperEagles striker Victor Moses has revealed that it was injury that forced him out of the national team. Moses on loan at West Ham from Chelsea, was key to the Super Eagles winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa with Coach Srephen Keshi in charge. But under coach Sunday Oliseh, Moses have yet to lace his boots for Nigeria.

His last Super Eagles appearance was in the 2-0 loss to France at the 2014 World Cup but he has reaffirmed his commitment to Nigeria.

“I’m proud of being a Nigerian international and am always committed to playing for my country,” Moses told BBC Sport.

“It’s the best feeling representing your country and I always want to perform and give 100% for the team.

“Unfortunately, I have not been able to play due to injuries but I have an unwavering commitment to Nigeria.”

“There is a new manager and the team has been doing well but without me,” said Moses, who misses his involvement.

“I’m prepared to give it my all and fight for a place on a regular basis, that’s my aim.

“This is football, a competitive stage and I have to fight hard to get in but I don’t mind doing that.”
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/ill-reclaim-my-super-eagles-shirt-moses/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:22am On Feb 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Tanzania
Oliseh agrees for Kaduna to stage AFCON cracker against Egypt
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/609140/Oliseh-agrees-for-Kaduna-to-stage-AFCON-cracker-against-Egypt[/img]
Nigeria coach Oliseh

Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has agreed for the Super Eagles to welcome Egypt to the northern city of Kaduna in a crucial AFCON 2017 qualifier next month.

Media reports have suggested that Oliseh rejected Kaduna, arguing instead that the all-important AFCON showdown be played in Port Harcourt.

However, a source close to the embattled coach said this was not true.

“Oliseh did not reject Kaduna. He only argued that he has won all his matches in Port Harcourt and may be it would have been better if the Eagles stayed put there. He was only rubbing minds with the top NFF officials,” revealed the source.

Kaduna was picked as venue for the clash against Egypt soon after a 2-0 home win there against Chad in June 2015.

That was a month before Oliseh was appointed in place of Stephen Keshi.

Then Eagles skipper Vincent Enyeama sparked off a controversy when he openly kicked against the choice of Kaduna, saying it was not safe for the national team in the wake of attacks by the terrorists’ group Boko Haram.

The Kaduna State Government then approved for the match against Egypt to be staged at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna.

The match will be played on March 23 with the return leg four days later in Egypt.
africanfootball.com/news/609140/Oliseh-agrees-for-Kaduna-to-stage-AFCON-cracker-against-Egypt
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:23am On Feb 07, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Sweden
Ofere returns to Scotland to join Dundee United
[/size]

Ofere - Back to Scotland

Nigeria striker Edward Ofere has returned to Scotland to join Dundee United after he featured for another Scottish club Inverness Caley Thistle last season.

Ofere has signed till season’s end and he does not need a work permit as he holds a Swedish passport.

The 29-year-old quit Turkish club Boluspor last month.
He scored six goals in 13 appearances for Inverness last season and also featured when they won the Scottish Cup.

One of his goals was against Dundee United last term.
However, he quit the club when he could not get a long-term contract and he headed for Turkey in June.
africanfootball.com/news/609138/Ofere-returns-to-Scotland-to-join-Dundee-United

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:28am On Feb 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2015 U23 Africa Cup of Nations FC Taraba
CHAN Eagles star Usman moves to Portugal
[/size]

Usman Mohammed has moved to Portugal

by Samm Audu
CHAN Eagles midfielder Usman Mohammed has joined Portuguese club Associacao Desportiva Sanjoanense on a two-year contract.

The club are based in Sao Joao da Madiera and were founded in 1924.

According to his agent Pedro, Usman has subsequently been loaned out to first division Uniao Madiera, where he will play alongside compatriot Shehu Abdullahi.

Last season, the Sokoto-born star played for FC Taraba, who have since been relegated.

Usman moves to Europe a free player after the League Management Company (LMC) declared Taraba players free following a huge backlog of salaries owed them by the Jalingo club.

He is a versatile midfielder, who could play either as a defensive or offensive player.

He has a good technique and he is full of running.
He has been capped at U23 and full international levels by Nigeria.
africanfootball.com/news/609090/CHAN-Eagles-star-Usman-moves-to-Portugal
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:54pm On Feb 07, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

I agree with you that Oliseh erred but at the same time why do the NFF see the media as a fertile ground to attack their Coaches and players.

They did same treatment to Keshi. What about the Enyeama issue, when he complained about the Kaduna venue, siting security chanllenges. Why don't they also learn how to address some critical and delicate issues inhouse? Must they always wash their dirty linen in the public? Why are they fond of using the media to send threats to the Coaches and players when they go wrong?

That's very unprofessional as well.

There was a public outcry from Enyeama's comments so it had to be addressed but i do agree that everyone needs to show maturity when dealing with the public.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:01pm On Feb 07, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

And the Money earmarked for such projects from the budget goes back into thr national treasury or goes to the NFF Members right.

If its about thinking what you can do for Nigeria then, our Senator, House of Reps., Ministers, NFF Members and the rest should also work for free and let the monies be used for the generality of the poor Nigerians.

Abi na only players go sacrifice?
The nff says there is no money and there is no proof they are taking any salaries either. These men are not bums off of the streets they were well to do men even before taking their posts. At this rate children will start using "the nff ate my homework as an excuse".
Winning with Nigeria does alot for a cv. I can guarrantee u there are coaches who would do this job for free.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:22pm On Feb 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The ten thousand dollars bonuses will make them rich. I am sure all other countries that pay bonuses do not think of what the players can do for their country.

Let Busquets and Iniesta pay for their own hotel bills when they are playing for Spain.

George Weah paid all expenses for Lib to play qualification matches.
The Greek national team gave back all their bonus after the world cup and no greek players is that rich.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:29pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

George Weah paid all expenses for Lib to play qualification matches.
The Greek national team gave back all their bonus after the world cup and no greek players is that rich.

Have you not heard of Coach Oliseh feeding his team during the Chan. Did Mikel, Osaze and co. not support their team mates when Bonuses were owed.

Does that mean that is the standard way of doing things? Are you saying the Brazilian team do not collect bonuses ever. What is your point?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:32pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

The nff says there is no money and there is no proof they are taking any salaries either. These men are not bums off of the streets they were well to do men even before taking their posts. At this rate children will start using "the nff ate my homework as an excuse".
Winning with Nigeria does alot for a cv. I can guarrantee u there are coaches who would do this job for free.

Is there proof that they are not taking salaries?

Instead of the NFF to apologize for putting the team in poor conditions in the tournament, you are here looking for an excuse.

If there is no money, why blast the coaches.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:49pm On Feb 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Have you not heard of Coach Oliseh feeding his team during the Chan. Did Mikel, Osaze and co. not support their team mates when Bonuses were owed.

Does that mean that is the standard way of doing things? Are you saying the Brazilian team do not collect bonuses ever. What is your point?

I don't know about Brasil but the English team gives all their money to charity. What u don't want to understand is we are broke do u want them to go steal? Football is won on the field not banks. If they had won chan the story would have been all the more better, a team beating all odds to win.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:56pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I don't know about Brasil but the English team gives all their money to charity. What u don't want to understand is we are broke do u want them to go steal? Football is won on the field not banks. If they had won chan the story would have been all the more better, a team beating all odds to win.

English team gives to charity but they collect bonuses. Many of our players are bread winners and they support their families. Charity begins at home.

I did not say we are not broke. The NFF should stop all their bullying of Coaches when they complain about the harsh conditions they are in. How broke are they that they could not provide kits for Coach Siasia's players.

They should acknowledge that they left Coach Oliseh in an awful condition and promise to work hard to make sure it would not repeat itself.

Instead they are threatening sack. Querying Siasia. They sacked Coach Sylvanus Okpala.

Even when they had money, this attitude went on with Siasia, Bonfere Jo, Obuh and others.

See the so called NFF people. They can not do one thing without government money. Even to buy kits for players on National duty but they are the first to run to FIFA and Cry interference on an independent body.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:43pm On Feb 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

English team gives to charity but they collect bonuses. Many of our players are bread winners and they support their families. Charity begins at home.

I did not say we are not broke. The NFF should stop all their bullying of Coaches when they complain about the harsh conditions they are in. How broke are they that they could not provide kits for Coach Siasia's players.

They should acknowledge that they left Coach Oliseh in an awful condition and promise to work hard to make sure it would not repeat itself.

Instead they are threatening sack. Querying Siasia. They sacked Coach Sylvanus Okpala.

Even when they had money, this attitude went on with Siasia, Bonfere Jo, Obuh and others.

See the so called NFF people. They can not do one thing without government money. Even to buy kits for players on National duty but they are the first to run to FIFA and Cry interference on an independent body.
U already know my take on the Siasia situation and i can bet he is so happy that he didn't get fired or quit. Now he has a story to tell.
U are talking about the past NFF, these guys are trying, they inherited an awefull situation and we can see progress. Pinnicks plan is for Nigerian football to generate money and not have to wait on the government. This is only his second year in office how can u really judge him? We never hear this man bash anyone yet some idiot insider comes out with a rumour and everybody jumps on the nff saying how unprofessional they are. This is the same Nff that surported Oliseh when all Nigrians were against him. Remember this same nff just lost a member to violence instead of wishing them well Oliseh makes it hot on them. Nigerians look in the mirror not out the window.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:50pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U already know my take on the Siasia situation and i can bet he is so happy that he didn't get fired or quit. Now he has a story to tell.
U are talking about the past NFF, these guys are trying, they inherited an awefull situation and we can see progress. Pinnicks plan is for Nigerian football to generate money and not have to wait on the government. This is only his second year in office how can u really judge him? We never hear this man bash anyone yet some idiot insider comes out with a rumour and everybody jumps on the nff saying how unprofessional they are. This is the same Nff that surported Oliseh when all Nigrians were against him. Remember this same nff just lost a member to violence instead of wishing them well Oliseh makes it hot on them. Nigerians look in the mirror not out the window.

Coach Oliseh is not making it hot on them. He is telling them and Nigerians the situation of things. Things at Rwanda was terrible. Threatening sack is not the way. The NFF should call Coach Oliseh, explain to him the situation of things and how to work things out to prevent a reoccurrence.

The bullying tactics should stop. It is just a means to cover their incompetence.

Amaju Pinnick is just the head. The corrupt elements from the past leaders are still walking on the corridors of powers of the NFF.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:01pm On Feb 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Oliseh is not making it hot on them. He is telling them and Nigerians the situation of things. Things at Rwanda was terrible. Threatening sack is not the way. The NFF should call Coach Oliseh, explain to him the situation of things and how to work things out to prevent a reoccurrence.

The bullying tactics should stop. It is just a means to cover their incompetence.

Amaju Pinnick is just the head. The corrupt elements from the past leaders are still walking on the corridors of powers of the NFF.

Conditions in Rwanda? Nff? Isn't it a caf event. Oliseh picked SA and he was first to reach there.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:05pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Conditions in Rwanda? Nff? Isn't it a caf event. Oliseh picked SA and he was first to reach there.

What does Coach Oliseh picking South Africa have to do with the poor conditions our players faced in Rwanda? The conditions were poor and the food was bad simple.

Coach Oliseh had to support the team to cope with the conditions.

Was the U20 World Cup in New Zealand not a FIFA organized tournament. A Nigerian family there supported the team's feeding.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:46pm On Feb 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

What does Coach Oliseh picking South Africa have to do with the poor conditions our players faced in Rwanda? The conditions were poor and the food was bad simple.

Coach Oliseh had to support the team to cope with the conditions.

Was the U20 World Cup in New Zealand not a FIFA organized tournament. A Nigerian family there supported the team's feeding.

CHAN is a caf event and thwy are to pay for everything rooming and feeding. That family brought them home cooking they had food just not what they wanted. Moral of the story eat wat is in ur plate.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:27pm On Feb 07, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria
Amokachi pushes Finnish club to be more competitive
[/size]

Amokachi with his players in Finland

JS Hercules coach Daniel Amokachi has promised to improve the Finnish third-tier league team and make them one of the best in the league.

The ex-Super Eagles star and manager said he will make the team competitive after he doubled their training schedule.

"First, doubled the team's training volumes," said Amokachi.
"Our goal is to be a series of tough condition and most competitive team."

The former Everton star has introduced two training periods a day (morning and evening) to the squad.

The league will commence on May 3.
africanfootball.com/news/609067/Amokachi-pushes-Finnish-club-to-be-more-competitive

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:30pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

CHAN is a caf event and thwy are to pay for everything rooming and feeding. That family brought them home cooking they had food just not what they wanted. Moral of the story eat wat is in ur plate.

Moral of the story is that the NFF should do more to support a team to win titles. It is ridiculous to believe the English players will come to Nigeria to eat Akpu to win a tournament.

If NFF members do not know something as simple as that, then they are the wrong people to run Nigerian football.

Just like how these men in NFF camped our U20 boys in Summer weather to go and win the title in a tournament played in winter.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:36pm On Feb 07, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria African Football
Africa Stars Watch – (Sunday 7 February) - Live
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/609495/Africa-Stars-Watch-Sunday-7-February-Live[/img]
Mikel

Welcome to AfricanFootball.com's live coverage of African players' performances in Europe for Sunday, 7 February 2016.

Burkina Faso forward Betrand Traore and Ghana full-back Abdul Baba are on the bench for Chelsea ahead of their big English Premier League (EPL) clash with Manchester United at the Stamford Bridge this evening.

While Nigeria international midfielder John Obi Mikel starts for Chelsea this evening.

In the French Ligue 1, Guinea defender Florentin Pogba and Senegal midfielder Sall Moustapha start for St Etienne against Bordeaux.

18h20 - 20 minutes played: Chelsea 0-0 Manchester United
18:00 - Kick-off: Chelsea 0-0 Manchester United (English Premier League)

Bordeaux 0-0 St Etienne (French Ligue 1)
africanfootball.com/news/609495/Africa-Stars-Watch-Sunday-7-February-Live
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:58pm On Feb 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Moral of the story is that the NFF should do more to support a team to win titles. It is ridiculous to believe the English players will come to Nigeria to eat Akpu to win a tournament.

If NFF members do not know something as simple as that, then they are the wrong people to run Nigerian football.

Just like how these men in NFF camped our U20 boys in Summer weather to go and win the title in a tournament played in winter.

All these are escuses and i will never surport such. My football idol Yekini died poor yet his family is still giving money away to help Nigerians. Look at Kanu didn't the nff also owe him too but yet he still helps with funds and surport he knows the value of representing naija. Nigeria means more to me than any amount of money and for someone to go down in history and turn around and cry money is petty(sorry i guess it's my word of the day)

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:55pm On Feb 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

All these are escuses and i will never surport such. My football idol Yekini died poor yet his family is still giving money away to help Nigerians. Look at Kanu didn't the nff also owe him too but yet he still helps with funds and surport he knows the value of representing naija. Nigeria means more to me than any amount of money and for someone to go down in history and turn around and cry money is petty(sorry i guess it's my word of the day)

[b]Did you hear Mikel, Osaze, Enyeama, Yobo complain about Bonuses. The only time you hear their voices is because of the home based players.

Reports came of these guys using their money to give the home based players to travel home to their families due to unpaid bonuses. Reports said Coach Keshi used his money to maintain some of the coaching crew.

The foreign boys like Mikel and co even takes care of hotel bills sometimes. Coach Keshi did it sometimes as a player.

So Kanu not complaining is not a new thing, it is a tradition. Osaze left £400,000 of his bonuses for West Brom. Do you think the $10,000 bonuses is his problem. The cry is for the home based lads. When Kanu was home based, he valued his bonuses.

This even just opened my eyes to why the NFF stand against the use of Home based players. In the AFCON Coach Keshi won, Coach Sylvanus Okpala fought for the bonuses of players and lost his job. Then the NFF warned Coach Keshi to stop using Home based players.

Maybe the NFF prefer foreign based players who will not complain about bonuses while they receive allocations for these kind of things. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:37pm On Feb 07, 2016
[b]This was a report on John Mikel Obi before the Man United game today.

[size=14pt]John Obi Mikel: Chelsea midfielder still unbeaten under Guus Hiddink[/size]

With Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel having extended his unbeaten record under Guus Hiddink to 25 games, Adam Bate examines his impressive record and the reasons for his success…

John Terry is Chelsea's captain, leader and legend and one of the definitions of leadership is making others better as a result of your presence. It's a hard one to identify in sport as it is in business but it's customary to examine results. It's here that John Obi Mikel might feel entitled to a claim.

The Nigerian midfielder's unbeaten record under Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has become well documented in recent weeks and that sequence continued at Watford on Wednesday. Over two spells under the Dutchman, Mikel has gone unbeaten in 25 appearances for the Blues.

It's not been straightforward. The run has included shut outs away to Barcelona and Manchester United, while there have been wins at Arsenal seven years apart. The only game that Hiddink has lost so far as Chelsea boss came against Tottenham at White Hart Lane in 2009. Mikel was injured.

There was another game that ended badly for Hiddink's Blues - Andres Iniesta's stoppage-time equaliser winning that year's Champions League semi-final for Barcelona. It wouldn't be a shock if the boss regrets leaving Mikel on the bench that day rather than having him shutting the Spaniard down.

So what is it about Mikel? At Vicarage Road, there were four tackles, two clearances and three interceptions to emphasise his influence. The 28-year-old was the only midfielder on the pitch to win possession of the ball more times than he surrendered it. It was classic Mikel.

The Premier League tracking data that records distance covered and sprints is not so remarkable, but perhaps there's some sense in that too. Protection for the back four is provided by his presence. As a result, mobility in midfield isn't always a virtue when it's vacating the position that's the problem.

Ostensibly, Nemanja Matic is the more capable player in many ways but Mikel's appreciation of the holding aspect of the holding-midfield role might make him, rather that the talented Serb, the man that Chelsea needed during their period of poor form earlier in the campaign.

Mikel's domination of this key central zone was particularly apparent in the recent 3-0 win at Crystal Palace, a game in which his name was chanted vociferously by the visiting supporters. "I don't think I've ever seen John Obi Mikel play so well," Graeme Souness told Sky Sports. "He bossed that area."

Hiddink, on the other hand, has seen it all before. "He's the ideal player to bring balance to the team," he said. "If the team is not willing to defend well, or hasn't got the right balance, then you'll concede a lot of goals. I think John Obi can be one of the key figures in bringing back that balance.

"He reads the game very well, he knows where the strength of the opponent is and knows how to combat that. He has very good sense, he doesn't do it in a brutal way, he's very elegant. Someone who can defend so smoothly is very beautiful."

It's also effective. Since being restored to the starting line-up, Chelsea have kept four clean sheets in six games. That's as many as they managed in the previous 18 matches. Getting the basics right has been a feature of Hiddink's approach. He's kept things simple, and that's just how Mikel likes it.

"It's the way he communicates with the players and maybe that's what the players felt they didn't get from the previous manager," said Mikel in a surprise dig at former boss Jose Mourinho. "You need to speak to them and don't just ignore them because players like to be communicated to."

For the midfielder, the instructions are crystal clear now. "He's good in short passing," explained Hiddink. "I don't expect and I don't ask him to make the decisive final pass. He can but no, we let the other players do that. The talented players can then explore their qualities."

Mikel has the best passing accuracy of any Chelsea midfielder, finding a team-mate 89.4 per cent of the time. It's almost a throwback to the pure holding midfielders of the past, such as one-time Chelsea team-mate Claude Makelele. Mikel doesn't fashion the chances. But that's not his job.

Of course, this lack of creativity might lead some to conclude that this is no long-term solution. Not everyone is comfortable with the man they call 'the final whistle' due to the regularity with which he has been introduced from the bench in order to defend leads, blowing right from the kick-off.

But whatever the future holds, his presence isn't doing Chelsea too much harm right now. The simple approach is helping. This was about steadying this ship. And even now, six-and-a-half years on from Hiddink's last spell, they don't come much steadier than John Obi Mikel.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/10155420/john-obi-mikel-chelsea-midfielder-still-unbeaten-under-guus-hiddink
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 08, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
[b]This was a report on John Mikel Obi before the Man United game today.

[size=14pt]John Obi Mikel: Chelsea midfielder still unbeaten under Guus Hiddink[/size]

With Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel having extended his unbeaten record under Guus Hiddink to 25 games, Adam Bate examines his impressive record and the reasons for his success…

John Terry is Chelsea's captain, leader and legend and one of the definitions of leadership is making others better as a result of your presence. It's a hard one to identify in sport as it is in business but it's customary to examine results. It's here that John Obi Mikel might feel entitled to a claim.

The Nigerian midfielder's unbeaten record under Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has become well documented in recent weeks and that sequence continued at Watford on Wednesday. Over two spells under the Dutchman, Mikel has gone unbeaten in 25 appearances for the Blues.

It's not been straightforward. The run has included shut outs away to Barcelona and Manchester United, while there have been wins at Arsenal seven years apart. The only game that Hiddink has lost so far as Chelsea boss came against Tottenham at White Hart Lane in 2009. Mikel was injured.

There was another game that ended badly for Hiddink's Blues - Andres Iniesta's stoppage-time equaliser winning that year's Champions League semi-final for Barcelona. It wouldn't be a shock if the boss regrets leaving Mikel on the bench that day rather than having him shutting the Spaniard down.

So what is it about Mikel? At Vicarage Road, there were four tackles, two clearances and three interceptions to emphasise his influence. The 28-year-old was the only midfielder on the pitch to win possession of the ball more times than he surrendered it. It was classic Mikel.

The Premier League tracking data that records distance covered and sprints is not so remarkable, but perhaps there's some sense in that too. Protection for the back four is provided by his presence. As a result, mobility in midfield isn't always a virtue when it's vacating the position that's the problem.

Ostensibly, Nemanja Matic is the more capable player in many ways but Mikel's appreciation of the holding aspect of the holding-midfield role might make him, rather that the talented Serb, the man that Chelsea needed during their period of poor form earlier in the campaign.

Mikel's domination of this key central zone was particularly apparent in the recent 3-0 win at Crystal Palace, a game in which his name was chanted vociferously by the visiting supporters. "I don't think I've ever seen John Obi Mikel play so well," Graeme Souness told Sky Sports. "He bossed that area."

Hiddink, on the other hand, has seen it all before. "He's the ideal player to bring balance to the team," he said. "If the team is not willing to defend well, or hasn't got the right balance, then you'll concede a lot of goals. I think John Obi can be one of the key figures in bringing back that balance.

"He reads the game very well, he knows where the strength of the opponent is and knows how to combat that. He has very good sense, he doesn't do it in a brutal way, he's very elegant. Someone who can defend so smoothly is very beautiful."

It's also effective. Since being restored to the starting line-up, Chelsea have kept four clean sheets in six games. That's as many as they managed in the previous 18 matches. Getting the basics right has been a feature of Hiddink's approach. He's kept things simple, and that's just how Mikel likes it.

"It's the way he communicates with the players and maybe that's what the players felt they didn't get from the previous manager," said Mikel in a surprise dig at former boss Jose Mourinho. "You need to speak to them and don't just ignore them because players like to be communicated to."

For the midfielder, the instructions are crystal clear now. "He's good in short passing," explained Hiddink. "I don't expect and I don't ask him to make the decisive final pass. He can but no, we let the other players do that. The talented players can then explore their qualities."

Mikel has the best passing accuracy of any Chelsea midfielder, finding a team-mate 89.4 per cent of the time. It's almost a throwback to the pure holding midfielders of the past, such as one-time Chelsea team-mate Claude Makelele. Mikel doesn't fashion the chances. But that's not his job.

Of course, this lack of creativity might lead some to conclude that this is no long-term solution. Not everyone is comfortable with the man they call 'the final whistle' due to the regularity with which he has been introduced from the bench in order to defend leads, blowing right from the kick-off.

But whatever the future holds, his presence isn't doing Chelsea too much harm right now. The simple approach is helping. This was about steadying this ship. And even now, six-and-a-half years on from Hiddink's last spell, they don't come much steadier than John Obi Mikel.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/10155420/john-obi-mikel-chelsea-midfielder-still-unbeaten-under-guus-hiddink
[/b]
mikel has always been an unsung hero in Chelsea.. he was outstanding against manutd. I think I love the

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:46am On Feb 08, 2016

[size=14pt]Oliseh flees Nigeria, accuses staff of witchcraft[/size]

As the zero hour approaches for the must win double header AFCON qualifier against the Pharaohs of Egypt on March 23, Sports Vanguard can reveal the real reasons why coach Sunday Oliseh may continue to tinker the Eagles from his base in Belgium.

After contracting a virus in one of his official assignments, camp sources informed that the former Juventus player has alleged occultic manipulations by his enemies on his life and has vowed to flee far from the country to where they could not fly to attack him.

Oliseh
Oliseh
“He is always scared in camp and suspicious of even members of his back room staff”, a close source to the team informed.

The source said that the outspoken coach allegedly confronted his staff and warned them that there were many witches and wizards who were trying to undermine the success of the Eagles.

“He warned those fond of putting their hands in their pockets before shaking him to desist or keep their handshakes as he feared they touch objects concealed in their pockets before offering to shake him”, the source said. Also, the coach alleged that many of the people surrounding him do not believe in the success of the team as he claimed that they don’t rejoice when the Eagles score goals.

Beyond the trivial accusations of witches and wizards, Sports Vanguard also gathered that the coach had written to the federation to pay his outstanding N10 million accommodation fee as agreed in his contract(N5 million for 2015 and another N5 million for 2016) if they want him to reside in Nigeria as he said he would not stay in the hotels when the Super Eagles are not in camp.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/oliseh-flees-nigeria-accuses-staff-of-witchcraft/

This is a very hilarious news. I could not stop laughing throughout. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:56am On Feb 08, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
I’ll reclaim my Super Eagles shirt —Moses
[/size]
SuperEagles striker Victor Moses has revealed that it was injury that forced him out of the national team. Moses on loan at West Ham from Chelsea, was key to the Super Eagles winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa with Coach Srephen Keshi in charge. But under coach Sunday Oliseh, Moses have yet to lace his boots for Nigeria.

His last Super Eagles appearance was in the 2-0 loss to France at the 2014 World Cup but he has reaffirmed his commitment to Nigeria.

“I’m proud of being a Nigerian international and am always committed to playing for my country,” Moses told BBC Sport.

“It’s the best feeling representing your country and I always want to perform and give 100% for the team.

“Unfortunately, I have not been able to play due to injuries but I have an unwavering commitment to Nigeria.”

“There is a new manager and the team has been doing well but without me,” said Moses, who misses his involvement.

“I’m prepared to give it my all and fight for a place on a regular basis, that’s my aim.

“This is football, a competitive stage and I have to fight hard to get in but I don’t mind doing that.”
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/ill-reclaim-my-super-eagles-shirt-moses/

[/b]

My bros u don't have to fight just show up and perform.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:58am On Feb 08, 2016
Sunday Oliseh don vex! He makes some very valid points though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNmsOBBqMgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTMGnGdTCo0

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:08pm On Feb 08, 2016
joseph1013:

This is a very hilarious news. I could not stop laughing throughout. grin grin grin

I think i am speechless, i feel let down because my thinking was that Oliseh would take Nigerian football into the future but now if the report is true it seems he is taking us further backwards into the past. We shall overcome sha....
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
Rumour: Manchester United want summer Odion Ighalo transfer

Manchester United are in pole position to sign Watford striker Odion Ighalo at the end of the season, according to reports.

Ighalo has been a standout performer in the Premier League so far this term scoring 14 goals in 24 appearances for Watford.

United were believed to have been in talks to sign him on transfer deadline day, and while no deal was done then, they remain keen.

The Sun says Louis van Gaal’s men are in pole position to sign the £40million-rated striker in the summer.

He’s already turned down a £300,000-a-week deal to move to China, with a big money summer move now on the cards.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/08/rumour-manchester-united-want-summer-odion-ighalo-transfer-5668190/#ixzz3zZuQZYjt

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2016
joseph1013:

I do not know why I find the news funny. Coach Oliseh should know his actions is dividing the team. He seems paranoid the way he took off from Rwanda.

If the job is too much for Coach Oliseh, he should step down and the NFF should hand the job to Coach Siasia.

Coach Manu Garba should take over the Olympic team where his boys like Nacho, Success and Awoniyi would make the team.

Coach Amunike should take over the U20 where his U17 boys will make part of the squad, Yahaya and co. who worked with Amunike with Manu Garba will be part of the squad and some of our exciting U20 stars in Europe.

Then NFF can hunt for a coach who has worked with our U17 scouting system.

#SuperEaglesFlyPassWinch

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.