Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248633 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:20pm On Mar 25, 2016
Chaiii.... I'm a bit heart-broken. We were on top in the second half, we played better football in the second half.
.................................................................................
»»Iheanacho's (was quiet for most-90%-of the first half before who woke up with that thunderbolt to end the half) moment of precise shooting magic resulted in Etebo's goal.

»»Alex Iwobi's well threaded pass to Victor Moses was supposed to produce a second goal but the Egyptian no.20 WOULD RATHER DIE THAN SEE THAT GOAL REALISED.

»»Moses Simon produced footwork magic.

»»Stanley Amuzie had a very good game at left back.
»» Etc, etc...

....................................................................................
We had brilliant second half moments and a few from the first half.

BUT BEHOLD A MAN CALLED MOHAMMED SALAH POPPED UP AT THE NICK OF TIME WITH THAT HEART-BREAKING EQUALISER

I was already feeling panicky when I saw Oboabona go down citing fatigue/knocks towards the final seven (7) mins. We had already made all 3 substitutions. I had hoped this won't cause us. An extra head having "full" concentration at such a crucial injury-time would have spotted Salah.

Chaiii.... After all the hard work, we were undone by a split-second loss of concentration in defence.

I still believe shaa.... The truth is this:

I DON'T CARE WHO THINKS IT'S IMPOSSIBLE-- BUT OUR SUPER EAGLES MUST BEAT EGYPT ON THEIR OWN HOME STUFF... THEY JUST HAVE TO... The team I saw play the second half can do it with more effort

I don't know..... We just have to produce the kind of magic that made us beat Algeria 5-2 away from home way back in 2006 during a world cup qualifying campaign.

Siasia teams are good away teams... Let's hope we strike the right cords.

Super Eagles.... Well, I still believe.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by confun: 7:40pm On Mar 25, 2016
Just weak...they made me weak....
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:44pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
My gen went off just before the equalizer. What happened? Coach Siasia should learn to respect his opponents. His three changes were attacking changes. Aminu, Moses and Iwobi. He did not think of bringing in another defensive to secure the win

Iwobi's change was okay to secure him but we should have gone 4-5-1 and brought in a defensive midfielder instead of Aminu.

Your pt abt d subs he made has underlined the fact dat Siasia is nt ready to coach the senior team.

I would blame the ff peeps for that equalizer:
1. Carl Ikeme for throwing d ball out of play at a very dangerous position at the touch line. He should have thrown it far from where he did.

2. The whole line of defense plus midfield for believing the Egyptians would practise fair play.They jst practically stopped and expected M. Sallah to pass the ball to Ikeme for fair play.
Fair play? A team dat has been absent from AFCON 3 consecutive times. The Nigerian playerd thought d Egyptians are like them hu dnt give a hoot if dey qualify or nt. Egyptians would rather die than to waste that golden opportunity to equalize.

Siasia needs to do something abt Amuzie in d returm leg. As a debutant facing Mohammed Salah he was grossly overwhelmed in that first half. Thank God we were nt down already before he picked up.

We are in a very difficult situation.

I am already looking beyond d game in Alexandria. Our last 2 games are against Chad (away) & Tanzania (home). We should b able to win those 2 and finish on 11pts which will likely b enough to finish among d best second teams.

I am already zeroing my mind anything can happen in Alexandria. We can win, we can draw or lose. 11pts would likely see us through.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Chaiii.... I'm a bit heart-broken. We were on top in the second half, we played better football in the second half.
.................................................................................
»»Iheanacho's (was quiet for most-90%-of the first half before who woke up with that thunderbolt to end the half) moment of precise shooting magic resulted in Etebo's goal.

»»Alex Iwobi's well threaded pass to Victor Moses was supposed to produce a second goal but the Egyptian no.20 WOULD RATHER DIE THAN SEE THAT GOAL REALISED.

»»Moses Simon produced footwork magic.

»»Stanley Amuzie had a very good game at left back.
»» Etc, etc...

....................................................................................
We had brilliant second half moments and a few from the first half.

BUT BEHOLD A MAN CALLED MOHAMMED SALAH POPPED UP AT THE NICK OF TIME WITH THAT HEART-BREAKING EQUALISER

I was already feeling panicky when I saw Oboabona go down citing fatigue/knocks towards the final seven (7) mins. We had already made all 3 substitutions. I had hoped this won't cause us. An extra head having "full" concentration at such a crucial injury-time would have spotted Salah.

Chaiii.... After all the hard work, we were undone by a split-second loss of concentration in defence.

I still believe shaa.... The truth is this:

I DON'T CARE WHO THINKS IT'S IMPOSSIBLE-- BUT OUR SUPER EAGLES MUST BEAT EGYPT ON THEIR OWN HOME STUFF... THEY JUST HAVE TO... The team I saw play the second half can do it with more effort

I don't know..... We just have to produce the kind of magic that made us beat Algeria 5-2 away from home way back in 2006 during a world cup qualifying campaign.

Siasia teams are good away teams... Let's hope we strike the right cords.

Super Eagles.... Well, I still believe.

Our leftback's name isn't Stanley it is Salah's toy. He made up a little ground in the 2nd half but his inexperience cost us at the end.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Your pt abt d subs he made has underlined the fact dat Siasia is nt ready to coach the senior team.

1. Carl Ikeme for throwing d ball out of play at a very dangerous position at the touch line. He should have thrown it far from where he did.

2. The whole line of defense plus midfield for believing the Egyptians would practise fair play.They jst practically stopped and expected M. Sallah to pass the balø to Ikeme for fair play.
Fair play? A team dat has been absent from AFCON 3 consecutive times. The Nigerian playerd thought d Egyptians are like them hu dnt give a hpot if dey qualify or nt. Egyptians would rather die than to waste that golden opportunity to equalize.

Siasia needs to do something abt Amuzie in d returm leg. As a debutant facing Mohammed Salah he was grossly overwhelmed in that first half. Thank God we were nt down already before he picked up.

I am already looking beyond d game in Alexandria. Our last 2 games are against Chad (away) & Tanzania (home). We should b able to win those 2 and finish on 11pts which will likely b enough to finish among d best second team.

I am already zeroing my mind anything can happen in Alexandria. We can win, we can draw or win. 11pts would likely see us through.

That is disgusting that they didn't obey the unwriten rule of the game. To me this has turned into war our players should be super motivated to defeat them in their own country.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:51pm On Mar 25, 2016
Haba naa... Give Amuzie some credits naa. I think he did good but started struggling when Salah started coming really strong into the game.

I have my complaints too especially as regards Siasia's subs.... but I've decided to bury it.

Lemme just focus on the positives. #IStillBelieve

BascoVanVeli:

Our leftback's name isn't Stanley it is Salah's toy. He made up a little ground in the 2nd half but his inexperience cost us at the end.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:52pm On Mar 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Inexperience u say. He kept Salah on side for d equalizer I think.

Siasia took a very deadly gamble.

I have always frowned at fielding inexperienced defenders in d defence during a very big game. For crying out loud why didnt siasia field Echiejile angry
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:54pm On Mar 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

That is disgusting that they didn't obey the unwriten rule of the game. To me this has turned into war our players should be super motivated to defeat them in their own country.

Fair play what? angry
Will fair play take them to AFCON? angry
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:57pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

2. The whole line of defense plus midfield for believing the Egyptians would practise fair play.They jst practically stopped and expected M. Sallah to pass the ball to Ikeme for fair play.
Fair play? A team dat has been absent from AFCON 3 consecutive times. The Nigerian playerd thought d Egyptians are like them hu dnt give a hoot if dey qualify or nt. Egyptians would rather die than to waste that golden opportunity to equalize.

I am already looking beyond d game in Alexandria. Our last 2 games are against Chad (away) & Tanzania (home). We should b able to win those 2 and finish on 11pts which will likely b enough to finish among d best second teams.

I am already zeroing my mind anything can happen in Alexandria. We can win, we can draw or lose. 11pts would likely see us through.

I agree with you on all fronts. I missed that equalizer, so I can not say much about it. However, Coach Siasia should develop a more approach to the game. He was absolutely careless in his changes.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:57pm On Mar 25, 2016
It's indeed heart-breaking. It was as if something left me after Salah put that goal in (many were screaming offside but I have it on good authority that the goal was super-legitimate. Salah was on-side).
Pls, be strong Ma. #SuperEagles #IStillBelieve

Like Sir BascoVanVeli said, this has just become a full-blown war. We must go there and beat these Egyptians. We can't rest our hopes on the chad (away) and tanzania (home) games alone.

confun:

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:57pm On Mar 25, 2016
confun:

Sorry ma'am.. We can still qualify. It is still in our hands.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:00pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Fair play what? angry Will fair play take them to AFCON? angry
I don't agree with that but i totally get where u are coming from.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 8:03pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I agree with you on all fronts. I missed that equalizer, so I can not say much about it. However, Coach Siasia should develop a more approach to the game. He was absolutely careless in his changes.

Siasia was busy playing to d gallery. The sub of Iheanacho should have been with a DMF, Azubuike would have been ok.Iwobi's intro was understandably to secure his international future.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

We can beat the Egyptians in Alexandria if we play a disciplined game. The midfield have to know their role. As much as Etebo played well sometimes, he left the defence exposed on numerous occasions.

I say we still maintain the 4-4-2 formation, no need switching but Onazi should come in for Etebo.

Amunike should crack Onazi's head three times for me and let him know we do not want his Essien runs. Stay back and help the defence.

We go in attack with Iheanacho, Musa, S. Moses and V. Moses. Victor Moses is still stingy and selfish in his play and he has not known it held his career back along with injuries.

Sometimes pass the ball than holding it for too long. We can beat the Egyptians but we need more discipline.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Make I bring out my calculator. PERMUTATION AND COMBINATION as usual!

Our boys gave the egyptians a good fight but de laid down their weapons and slept off in the latter stage of d encounter.

The most heart breaking moment is seeing them equalize in d final min of d game.

Can't wait for the return leg in Alexandria. Onazi will be back then and musa can be drop to the bench for moses.

But our chances to qualifier as one of the best loosers is slim considering the fact that only 2teams out of 13groups will make it as d best loosers.

Let just hope we do d Impossible
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:07pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Siasia was busy playing to d gallery. The sub of Iheanacho should have been with a DMF, Azubuike would have been ok.Iwobi's intro was understandably to secure his international future.

I agree with you. Azubuike would have tightened the midfield and helped us win the ball back. I doubt we would have drawn that game if we brought him on.

Maintaining two attackers was terrible. We can blame fair play, poor goal keeping, defensive switch off but all these was due to our disrespectful approach to the game.

Coach Siasia needs to redeem himself in the second game. This is his official first game.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:07pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Haba naa... Give Amuzie some credits naa. I think he did good but started struggling when Salah started coming really strong into the game.

I have my complaints too especially as regards Siasia's subs.... but I've decided to bury it.

Lemme just focus on the positives. #IStillBelieve

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:11pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Inexperience u say. He kept Salah on side for d equalizer I think.

Siasia took a very deadly gamble.

I have always frowned at fielding inexperienced defenders in d defence during a very big game. For crying out loud why didnt siasia field Echiejile angry

My biggest fear for this game was Echiejile. I never doubted that Salah would tear him to shreds. We dodged a bullet there. I believe that was a brilliant move by the coaches because the Egyptians spent time analyzing each of our players and they had enough ammunition for Echiejile.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 8:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
AIG07:

Make I bring out my calculator. PERMUTATION AND COMBINATION as usual!

Our boys gave the egyptians a good fight but de laid down their weapons and slept off in the latter stage of d encounter.

The most heart breaking moment is seeing them equalize in d final min of d game.

Can't wait for the return leg in Alexandria. Onazi will be back then and musa can be drop to the bench for moses.

But our chances to qualifier as one of the best loosers is slim considering the fact that only 2teams out of 13groups will make it as d best loosers.

Let just hope we do d Impossible

11pts would b enough for any team to finish among d 2 2nd bests. Mark my words.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 8:24pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

My biggest fear for this game was Echiejile. I never doubted that Salah would tear him to shreds. We dodged a bullet there. I believe that was a brilliant move by the coaches because the Egyptians spent time analyzing each of our players and they had enough ammunition for Echiejile.

Echiejile i believe would have coped better than Amuzie hu was always caught out of position. His gross inexperience showed.

Besides, d Egyptian crew watched d clips of over 50 Nigerian players, nt jst Echijile.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

U must have an issue with Echiejile, he didn't even play and u saying we dodged a bullet. I tell u what, we dodged a bullet and jumped right into a bomb.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:31pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Echiejile i believe would have coped better than Amuzie hu was always cut out of position. His gross inexperience showed.

Besides, d Egyptian crew watched d clips of over 50 Nigerian players, nt jst Echijile.

Salah is a genius who skinned the top players in Europe repeatedly. My mind still goes to The Real Madrid game. I tell you, Amuzie coped better.

I am not saying he was terrific but Salah was not extraordinary in the game.

As for Echiejile, he gets caught out of position a lot of time for us to believe he would have coped better. I do not think so and I hope we do not try it.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:33pm On Mar 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U must have an issue with Echiejile, he didn't even play and u saying we dodged a bullet. I tell u what, we dodged a bullet and jumped right into a bomb.

I will be honest. I have an issue with him and I cried out repeatedly about him. He is one player that I feel cost us a lot. I watched him closely on a lot of occasions and I do not see his brilliance.

I will take Oshaniwa over him anytime. I do not know why Coach Siasia did not call Oshaniwa who I feel is more reliable.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:41pm On Mar 25, 2016
I remember making this statement on March 20th (sunday), five days to the game, on a thread by Safarigirl on "predicting Nigeria's Starting line-up".

Here's an excerpt:

I hope we win in Kaduna and pick a result in
Alexandria. If it happens the other way round (draw
in kaduna and win in alexandria) I don't care,
splendid!! Though some Nigerians would have
passed on due to hypertension before the alexandria
game comes around for that "miracle"
#Big smiles#
Let's rally round the team. Omeruo and Balogun are
out but they believe their teammates can still do it.
Let's believe with them.

#IStillBelieve......

Minus the Egypt game in Alexandria, I also think 11points can see us through as one of the two "best runners-up" via wins in the tanzania (home) game and the chad (away) game but I also feel we should take the alexandria game as a do-or-die... We don't have "those 6points" in the bag yet so let's try gather points from the game standing right before us.

#IStillBelieve...... #Smiles
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 8:46pm On Mar 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Right bro.

We cannot afford to start d way we did at d left back for d game in Alexandria else we would be 3 goals down before Amuzie picks up.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Right bro.

The thing is TheGoodJoe is usually sentimentally attached to young players.

We cannot afford to start d way we did at d left back for d game in Alexandria else we would be 3 goals down before Amuzie picks up.

Do you have any assurance that Echiejile will cope better against Salah? Do you think Coach Siasia did not have the intention of Echiejile in this game.

Think of what happened in training before he opted to drop Echiejile. I can bet V. Moses used him to make more name than Maradona in training.

I watch three a lot. It is a crucial role. I do not see Echiejile causing Salah any problems.

Remember, Coach Siasia kept his Wing backs deep and did not require too much attacking runs which Echiejile offers.

I was scared of Echiejile starting and I think we dodged a bullet not playing him.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by chrisooblog: 8:52pm On Mar 25, 2016
I'm seriously gutted by the last minute equalizer but no use crying unto the return match. Onazi is back he should be warned to stay disciplined and shield the defense. Supernerd with due respect amuzie was out of his depth elderson to surely start. Ighalo to drop to the bench Musa to play as a false 9 iwobi to start also etebo Simon to retain their starting place
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:58pm On Mar 25, 2016
chrisooblog:
I'm seriously gutted by the last minute equalizer but no use crying unto the return match. Onazi is back he should be warned to stay disciplined and shield the defense. Supernerd with due respect amuzie was out of his depth elderson to surely start. Ighalo to drop to the bench Musa to play as a false 9 iwobi to start also etebo Simon to retain their starting place

Come on guys. Salah is one of the best wing attackers in the game today. He is someone who has clips with similar mazy run goals to Messi.

It seems you guys did not know what we were up against with Salah coming in from right. You will be mistaken if you expected a left back of ours to give Salah a quiet game. It does not happen in Europe against top backs.

Amuzie was a nuisance and stopped Salah from having a free day. Anything more than that is almost impossible and expecting more from Echiejile is far from the truth.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 9:10pm On Mar 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Come on guys. Salah is one of the best wing attackers in the game today. He is someone who has clips with similar mazy run goals to Messi.

It seems you guys did not know what we were up against with Salah coming in from right. You will be mistaken if you expected a left back of ours to give Salah a quiet game. It does not happen in Europe against top backs.

Amuzie was a nuisance and stopped Salah from having a free day. Anything more than that is almost impossible and expecting more from Echiejile is far from the truth.

U talk of Salah as if he is on same level as Ronaldo, Messi or Neymar. Salah dat couldnt get a starting place at Chelsea.

Echiejile's level of experience counts for much.
U saw how d partnership of Ambrose and Obaobona faired today.Experience counts a lot in d defense.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by chrisooblog: 9:13pm On Mar 25, 2016
Am a bit surprised by your assertion the echiejele I know strictly stays in defense barely overlaps Salah might trouble him but you can be damn sure he won't be caught out of position. I have watched him play in the lb role over the years and I haven't seen many instances of him being to blame for any goals we conceded
TheGoodJoe:

Do you have any assurance that Echiejile will cope better against Salah? Do you think Coach Siasia did not have the intention of Echiejile in this game.

Think of what happened in training before he opted to drop Echiejile. I can bet V. Moses used him to make more name than Maradona in training.

I watch three a lot. It is a crucial role. I do not see Echiejile causing Salah any problems.

Remember, Coach Siasia kept his Wing backs deep and did not require too much attacking runs which Echiejile offers.

I was scared of Echiejile starting and I think we dodged a bullet not playing him.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by zuchyblink(m): 9:17pm On Mar 25, 2016
Icon4s:

U talk of Salah as if he is on same level as Ronaldo, Messi or Neymar. Salah dat couldnt get a starting place at Chelsea.

Echiejile's level of experience counts for much.
U saw how d partnership of Ambrose and Obaobona faired today.Experience counts a lot in d defense.
Amuzie is good and i prefer him to echiejile
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 9:19pm On Mar 25, 2016
chrisooblog:
Am a bit surprised by your assertion the echiejele I know strictly stays in defense barely overlaps Salah might trouble him but you can be damn sure he won't be caught out of position. I have watched him play in the lb role over the years and I haven't seen many instances of him being to blame for any goals we conceded

If left to TheGoodJoe I know he would prefer a defense line dat includes Ehizibue, Awaziem and Amuzie. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.