Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248511 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:29am On Jan 10, 2016
Where casket? Make him come bury football failure for Nigeria. Lol
TheSuperNerd:
Wow!!! It's been over a month. Okay... Uhmm.... Firstly.... Happy new year to everyone (will try to reply all those mentions... Only if necessary...) *smiles*

Yaya Toure's full comments on his coming "second" in the CAF POTY is comedy of the month and already my first soccer amusement of 2016.

Just check out his comments (they are alll over the internet).. Sooo when he won it in 2013 ahead of an Afcon-winning Mikel, he didn't remember that "Europe was being put before Africa".

Now he says Aubameyang's win shows indecency and disrespect on Caf's part.... That Europe is being put before Africa as regards the Caf POTY.

Ahahahahahahaha..... Toure is fast becoming a "cry-baby" and "sore loser". That's how he wanted to claim Iheanacho's goal against Swansea (yes Toure shot the ball but Nacho's back did the final business--- Nacho was rightly placed and rightly timed all due to his instinctive good positioning--- Nacho even said "thanks Toure for the assist" in the post match interview.... Ahahahahaha...)

Now the joke's on Yaya Toure. Wonderful player he remains.... And a legend no doubt but his attitude of late shows disrespect for fellow African stars.

Toure should watch it.

Chief Onigbinde of modakeke just hit the "toure's comments matter" from another angle.

I know I'm yet to say hello "specifically" but please bear with me.

And Sir Terzurum5 (just seeing a comment you made on dec.11 last year) , I surely didn't use Christmas/New year's day to conduct research. I finished my 2015 Hopkins research scholarships session by the first week of december (dec.7-cool and will resume the next phase by Mid-January. I was "having some good fun + looking into one or two things... But I did touch a little on academics... Only a little ooo"
Meanwhile, Other academic studies of mine continue also... Plus "more" **smiles**

So uhmm.... Thanks for the kind compliments too. And I see you're in Love..... Don't worry, I can arrange a meeting.... *winks*

Sir Justiz5, Uhmm...... I'm alright. Thanks for the show of concern. Glad to see you made it into 2016 too..... **smiles**

To Safarigirl, well, I'm quite honored seeing "those special mentions" (dec.11 post, and Christmas/New Year post). Thank you....... So much. I'm quite humbled.... But hey! Considering they were days and weeks ago, hope you've not "changed" your mind..... Ahahahahahahaha...... #justKidding. And hey, Iheanacho, Success and Umar Sadiq have all scored in 2016 already.... Hehehe...

Always a Joy to have you Safarigirl, always a Joy....

To Shizzy7, she hardly posts in sports.... But gotta give a special hail to her too. We'll see later. And hey! That NL DP of yours looks "ridiculous"..... Ahahahahaha...... Always a cool pleasure having you too.... Always always...

Sir AIG07, I'm so so so sorry, I couldn't make it for NL's Christmas Dinner. Please forgive me. Sorry you had to wait on me. But I hope Sir Mikron showed up.... *smiles* Happy new year Sir.

Okay.... I gotta stop here.... Happy y'all made it.

Others to acknowledge:

Sirs: Joseph1013 (still a boss), TheGoodJoe (Still rocks!), BascoVanVeli (Can't forget the name... BVV... *smiles*), Orkpekyandega, Linked, Icon4s, Tbaba1234, Blackalbino6, Dannycrusoe, Blueto, Casket (please Sir, bury ONLY negatives this year..... Ahahahahahaha.... Don't worry, I'm still that optimistic kid you commended. *BIG SMILES*) and every other person I "stupidly but innocently" forgot... **smiles** **I really gotta run**

Madams/Miss: Confun, and all other ladies in and across the sports section.

Okay, still another time....... The Nigerian Soccer project continues... The full rise of Nigeria's next Super Golden generation is taking shape little by little. USE THE GIFT OF "A DAY" WISELY THIS YEAR... Live each day like it's your last... A bientot y'all.

Ma Boss u welcom back from ya loooong break happy to 've you back.

Yaya Toure is just a sour looser. Let him go and learn from Jayjay Okocha, Mikel Obi and the likes, the courage to manage the pains of missing out on the APOTY.

There have been reviews on the unlucky contestants for this CAF Award that surfaced somany publications, before the final ceremony took place.

If only he had read those reviews and the calibre of African football talents/stars that missed out on this award, he would have come out to display such a shameful attitude.

Let the games begin.
#Chanthingsonpoint#

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:17am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
MLS one of world leagues best soon - Fanendo Adi
[/size]

Adi (right) celebrates MLS Cup triumph with Portland Timbers last season

by Samm Audu
Nigerian striker Fanendo Adi has predicted the Major Soccer League (MLS) will be one of the top leagues in the world in five years.

The 25-year-old Adi is set to return to Europe after he set alight the MLS with goals last season as Portland Timbers won a first-ever MLS championship.

The MLS is seen as a destination for top stars who are winding down on their illustrious careers, but Adi has disagreed, saying it is a very competitive league.

“The MLS will in five years be among the best leagues in the world,” predicted Adi.

“The other day, Steven Gerrard (ex-Liverpool legend) spoke about the competitiveness of the MLS.
“When I first came to the league from FC Copenhagen, I also thought it would be a walkover, but after a few games, I knew I had to step up.

“It’s a league with very good young players and older, talented players, which is still growing.”

Last season, Adi was one of the MLS designated players, which meant he earned above the league’s salary cap.

He fired a total of 18 goals, but the powerful centre-forward now looks set to return to Europe, where he has previously played in Denmark, Slovakia and Ukraine.
africanfootball.com/news/599684/MLS-one-of-world-leagues-best-soon-Fanendo-Adi
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:18am On Jan 10, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Tanzania
Niger battle Ethiopia for Nigeria CHAN opener
[/size]

Boubacar Talatou of Niger

Niger will face Ethiopia on Saturday in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, in a final warm-up before their opening CHAN game against Nigeria.

Both teams will feature at the CHAN in Rwanda, which begins on Saturday, January 16.

The Mena of Niger will take on Nigeria in their opening CHAN game on Monday, January 18, in Kigali.
Both teams are appearing at their second CHAN.

In September, the next-door neighbours clashed in a friendly in Port Harcourt with Nigeria running away 2-0 in a hard-fought contest.
africanfootball.com/news/599679/Niger-battle-Ethiopia-for-Nigeria-CHAN-opener
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:37am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Cote D'ivoire
CHAN 2016: 'Mosquito', Ifeanyi Matthew shine for Nigeria
[/size]

CHAN Eagles midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew

by Samm Audu
Established Nigeria league campaigner Ikechukwu ‘Mosquito’ Ibenegbu and emerging star Ifeanyi Matthew have thus far impressed in the Super Eagles training camp ahead of next weekend’s CHAN in Rwanda.

Officials disclosed that the other players who have shone in the Eagles training camp in Pretoria, South Africa, are Nigeria U23 midfielder Usman Mohammed and little known Shooting Stars midfielder Ibrahim Salawu.

‘Mosquito’ Ibenegbu scored the Eagles goal against Angola in a warm-up match in Pretoria and his leadership overall contribution in the midfield has won him the admiration of coach Sunday Oliseh.

Versatile Nigeria U20 midfield star Ifeanyi Matthew has already been tipped to go all the way and be capped by the full international team after what he has produced thus far in South Africa.

The El Kanemi Warriors star has a strong mentality, hard working and has established himself in the starting XI for the CHAN as other more established players have struggled for form.

In the meantime, Nigeria will play their final warm-up game against Cote d’Ivoire on Monday.

The Ivorians were forced to a 1-1 draw by Nigeria’s Group C rivals Guinea in another test game on Friday also in South Africa.
africanfootball.com/news/599677/CHAN-2016-Mosquito-Ifeanyi-Matthew-shine-for-Nigeria
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:49am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Almería
Returning Kalu Uche to save struggling Almeria
[/size]

Kalu Uche has returned to struggling Spanish club Almeria

Almeria are banking on Nigeria striker Kalu Uche for goals as they battle relegation from the Spanish second division.

Uche is making a return to the club after he passed a medical and Almeria coach Nesto Gorosito said the Nigeria striker is well equipped about the club and ready to rescue them.

"Uche knows the club and wants to contribute to the team," the Argentine said.

Almeria are stuck in the drop zone as they are second from bottom of the Spanish Segunda division with 17 points from 19 matches.
Last season, Almeria were demoted from La Liga.

Experienced striker Kalu Uche first joined Almeria in the 2005/2006 season from Wisla Kraków of Poland.

He has also played in Switzerland, Turkey, Qatar and India.
africanfootball.com/news/599668/Returning-Kalu-Uche-to-save-struggling-Almeria
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:52am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Celtic
Efe Ambrose unaware of Chinese club's interest
[/size]

Celtic's Nigeria defender Efe Ambrose

Nigeria international Efe Ambrose has maintained he is not aware of the reported interest in him by Chinese club Shanghai SIPG.

The Celtic defender said he has no information of such interest from his agent or the club.

"I don't know anything about the reported interest from the Chinese club,” said Nigeria defender Ambrose.

"My agent or my club have not informed me of interest from the club or offer."

This season, 27-year-old Ambrose has made 12 appearances for champions Celtic, who are top of the league table with 46 points from 20 matches.

He joined the Scottish giants in the 2012/2013 season from Israeli club Ashdod.
africanfootball.com/news/599666/Efe-Ambrose-unaware-of-Chinese-club-s-interest
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:07am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
CHAN: Adeniji, Chikatara Back In Home Eagles Training
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
Home-based Super Eagles duo, Tunde Adeniji and Chisom Chikatara, have returned to training after missing the side's last tune up game Angola due to injuries, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.

Adeniji missed the game due to muscle injury, while Chikatara couldn't feature in the encounter as a result of hamstring complaint.

Both players Comple tesportsnigeria.com scooped trained with the rest of their colleagues Saturday morning after the entire team observed Friday as rest day.

They are now in line to feature in Monday's friendly against Cote d'lvoire in Pretoria.

The Eagles are expected to leave for Rwanda on January 15 and will play Niger in their opening game at the CHAN three days later.

Rwanda will host the competition from January 16 to February 7.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/chan-adeniji-chikatara-back-in-home-eagles-training/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Wow!!! It's been over a month. Okay... Uhmm.... Firstly.... Happy new year to everyone (will try to reply all those mentions... Only if necessary...) *smiles*

Yaya Toure's full comments on his coming "second" in the CAF POTY is comedy of the month and already my first soccer amusement of 2016.

Just check out his comments (they are alll over the internet).. Sooo when he won it in 2013 ahead of an Afcon-winning Mikel, he didn't remember that "Europe was being put before Africa".

Now he says Aubameyang's win shows indecency and disrespect on Caf's part.... That Europe is being put before Africa as regards the Caf POTY.

Ahahahahahahaha..... Toure is fast becoming a "cry-baby" and "sore loser". That's how he wanted to claim Iheanacho's goal against Swansea (yes Toure shot the ball but Nacho's back did the final business--- Nacho was rightly placed and rightly timed all due to his instinctive good positioning--- Nacho even said "thanks Toure for the assist" in the post match interview.... Ahahahahaha...)

Now the joke's on Yaya Toure. Wonderful player he remains.... And a legend no doubt but his attitude of late shows disrespect for fellow African stars.

Toure should watch it.

Chief Onigbinde of modakeke just hit the "toure's comments matter" from another angle.

And Sir Terzurum5 (just seeing a comment you made on dec.11 last year) , I surely didn't use Christmas/New year's day to conduct research. I finished my 2015 Hopkins research scholarships session by the first week of december (dec.7-cool and will resume the next phase by Mid-January. I was "having some good fun + looking into one or two things... But I did touch a little on academics... Only a little ooo"
Meanwhile, Other academic studies of mine continue also... Plus "more" **smiles**

So uhmm.... Thanks for the kind compliments too. And I see you're in Love..... Don't worry, I can arrange a meeting.... *winks*

Sir Justiz5, Uhmm...... I'm alright. Thanks for the show of concern. Glad to see you made it into 2016 too..... **smiles**

To Safarigirl, well, I'm quite honored seeing "those special mentions" (dec.11 post, and Christmas/New Year post). Thank you....... So much. I'm quite humbled.... But hey! Considering they were days and weeks ago, hope you've not "changed" your mind..... Ahahahahahahaha...... #justKidding. And hey, Iheanacho, Success and Umar Sadiq have all scored in 2016 already.... Hehehe...

To Shizzy7, she hardly posts in sports.... But gotta give a special hail to her too. We'll see later. And hey! That NL DP of yours looks "ridiculous"..... Ahahahahaha...... Always a cool pleasure having you too.... Always always...

Sir AIG07, I'm so so so sorry, I couldn't make it for NL's Christmas Dinner. Please forgive me. Sorry you had to wait on me. But I hope Sir Mikron showed up.... *smiles* Happy new year Sir.

Others to acknowledge:

Sirs: Joseph1013 (still a boss), TheGoodJoe (Still rocks!), BascoVanVeli (Can't forget the name... BVV... *smiles*), Orkpekyandega, Linked, Icon4s, Tbaba1234, Blackalbino6, Dannycrusoe, Blueto, Casket (please Sir, bury ONLY negatives this year..... Ahahahahahaha.... Don't worry, I'm still that optimistic kid you commended. *BIG SMILES*) and every other person I "stupidly but innocently" forgot... **smiles** **I really gotta run**

Okay, still another time....... The Nigerian Soccer project continues... The full rise of Nigeria's next Super Golden generation is taking shape little by little. USE THE GIFT OF "A DAY" WISELY THIS YEAR... Live each day like it's your last... A bientot y'all.

Compliment of the season, SuperNerd..I miss you small sha ..

Lolz @ bury ONLY negatives this year comment ...

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:11am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ujah Eyes More Bremen Goals, Reveals Support For Chelsea, Mayweather
[/size]

By Johnny Edward and James Agberebi:
Nigerian striker Anthony Ujah has stated that he hopes to score more goals for Werder Bremen when the second half of the Bundesliga kicks off.

Ujah made this known in a question and answer session with Bremen fans on the club's official twitter handle tagged #AskTony.

The forward has scored seven goals in 17 appearances this season but Bremen are currently in the relegation spot on 16th in the league table.

When asked about the club he supports and his favourite sports person, the former Mainz player picked English Premier League champions Chelsea and Floyd Mayweather Junior.

He also predicted that France will win this year's European Championship ahead of Germany.

Meanwhile, Bremen will take on Erzgebirge in a club friendly game on Sunday prior to the start of the second half of the Bundesliga season.

And on Sunday 24 January, they will commence their quest of avoiding relegation when they travel away to face Schalke 04.

Ujah also revealed he is learning a lot from the Claudio Pizarro who has won 19 major trophies, 17 of which was at Bayern.

"It's unbelievable playing alongside @pizarrinha (Pizzaro). I was nervous at first, but I'm learning so much from him," wrote Ujahwho also told his fans on Twitter he began his career as a defender.

Ujah who joined the Green and Whites last summer is targeting a DFB Pokal Cup after helping his side advance at the expence of his former team FC Cologne.

"It was odd, but I was pleased I could help my team. The cup is very important."

"I've felt at home from the very first day here and nothing has changed since," Ujah added.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ujah-eyes-more-bremen-goals-reveals-support-for-chelsea-mayweather/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:20am On Jan 10, 2016
[size=14pt]
Yaya Touré’s comments lack class and risk overshadowing his wonderful talent
[/size]
There was no need for the Manchester City player to be so ungracious after he lost out to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for the African Player of the Year award
[img]http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/09/yaya-toure-comments-african-footballer-of-the-year#img-1[/img]
Yaya Touré, right, and André Ayew, left, on stage before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was voted the African Footballer of the Year in Abuja. Photograph: Pius Utomi Ekpei/AFP/Getty Images
Gary Al-Smithin Abuja, Nigeria

Read more.....
www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/09/yaya-toure-comments-african-footballer-of-the-year
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:07am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
WILL NIGERIAN PLAYERS RULE AFRICA AGAIN?
[/size]

Osimhen - Bright, exciting future for Nigeria.

It is now 16 years since a Nigerian won the prestigious CAF African Player of the Year, but the awards to Victor Osimhen (Youth Player Award) and Oghenekaro Etebo (Most Promising Talent Award) have again underlined an exciting future for the country’s stars.

After the African awards were dominated by Francophone players for several decades, the legendary Rashidi Yekini became the first Nigeria star to clinch the continent’s most prestigious individual accolade in 1993.

He was subsequently followed by Emmanuel Amuneke (1994), Nwankwo Kanu (1996, 1999) and Victor Ikpeba (1997).

For the 2015 CAF Awards, there was no Nigeria star in the final three nominees and also none of the country’s players made it to the starting CAF African XI.

This was yet another proof that Nigeria football and their stars have taken a back seat so much so that Osimhen, Etebo, Azubuike Okechukwu and Kelechi Nwakali were only good enough to be on the bench for the 2015 African XI picked by CAF.

“At this moment we don’t have a player who deserves to be there. This should be a challenge that next time around we have one of us up there,” admitted former Nigeria skipper Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha.

But another new year means another new race for football’s top honours and already several players have already shown they will fight for better recognition in 2016.

Watford striker Odion Ighalo has been scoring the goals in the glamorous English Premier League and should he sustain the momentum this year, he will most certainly be a front runner to challenge newly crowned African football king Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Aubameyang’s goals for Borussia Dortmund in the German Bundesliga were considered a bigger accomplishment than Yaya Toure leading Cote d’Ivoire to win a second AFCON crown after a 23-year wait.

So, should the 26-year-old Ighalo continue to fire the goals for Watford and follow that up with more goals possibly as one of the over-aged players for Nigeria at the Rio Olympics in August, he would stake a strong claim by the next awards.

But what is even more exciting for Nigeria is that the likes of Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City), Taiwo Awoniyi (Liverpool), Sadiq Umar (AS Roma), Kelechi Nwakali and Victor Osimhen will in the coming years be vying to be crowned best player in Africa.

“Nigerian players have to be more consistent, dedicated and disciplined to be better recognised,” urged former Nigeria international Jonathan Akpoborie.
africanfootball.com//news/599687/Despite-CAF-Awards-snub-future-exciting-for-Nigeria
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:33am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
WILL NIGERIAN PLAYERS RULE AFRICA AGAIN?
[/size]
Seventeen years after Nwankwo Kanu was crowned CAF African Player of the Year, no other Nigerian footballer has ruled Africa again. Football stakeholders say the long wait may not be over yet, reports ’TANAAIYEJINA

Gabonese striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was on Thursday crowned the new king of African football, when he ended the four-year reign of Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure at an elaborate ceremony held in Abuja.

The Borussia Dortmund star scored 143 points ahead of Toure, who scored 136 points to win a first CAF African Player of the Year Award for 2015. Ghanaian Andre Ayew recorded 112 points to place third.
But it was a case of different tales for Aubameyang and Nigerians.

While the 26-year-old was all smiles on the podium as the continent’s best player, Nigerians had to endure another torrid year, watching helplessly as the top player’s award eluded a player from their country.

Indeed, the last time a Nigerian was named the African Player of the Year was in 1999, when Nwankwo Kanu won it for a second time.

Super Eagles’ all-time highest goal scorer the late Rashidi Yekini was the first Nigerian to win the award in 1993. Emmanuel Amuneke grabbed it the following year before Kanu and Victor Ikpeba also came out tops in 1996 and 1997.

It was an era that Nigerian players reigned supreme, winning the top prize five times between 1993 and 1999. But at the turn of the new millennium, the fortunes of Nigerian stars seemed to have dwindled, leaving no Nigerian footballer with the honour of being Africa’s best in the last 17 years.

Aside the Player of the Year award, the country’s players/teams also failed to win awards that they normally dominated. For instance the Super Falcons, who performed woefully at last year’s Women’s World Cup in Canada, were beaten by Cameroon, who reached the knockout stages of the event to win the Women’s Team of the Year award.

The Indomitable Lionesses’ Gaell Enganamouit was also named the Women’s Player of the Year, ahead of Falcons’ Ngozi Ebere while the U-17 World Cup winning Golden Eaglets and their coach Emmanuel Amuneke lost the Team of the Year and Coach of the Year to Ivory Coast and Herve Renard respectively.

No Nigerian was also in CAF’s XI. Only enterprising national U-23 team midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo (Most Promising Talent) and U-17 World Cup record goal scoer, Victor Osimhen (Youth Player of the Year) put smiles on the faces of football-crazy Nigerians at the event.

Close followers of the game in the country say they are disturbed with the negative trend in the last 17 years and fear that it might continue with the way the game is run in Nigeria.

“I can’t really see any Nigerian player winning the African Player of the Year in the next two years.

We shouldn’t expect our exciting young players like Kelechi Iheanacho, Taiwo Awoniyi and Victor Osimhen to win it within this period,” 1997 CAF African Player of the Year winner, Victor Ikpeba, said.

The former AS Monaco striker turned sports pundit said Nigerian players have to start playing for top clubs before they can be considered for the award.

“If you look at the history of the awards since 1992, majority of the players who won it played for the best clubs in the top European leagues. But which of our present players is playing in the top clubs?

Ahmed Musa is playing in Russia and it’s going to be difficult for a player in Eastern Europe to win it.

“Our players have to play for the right clubs. If we have players in clubs like Manchester City and Manchester United, then they can stand a chance of winning it.

“A player like Victor Moses is very good but he has his injuries worries. If Odion Ighalo moves to another club and he continues his goalscoring form, then he has the chance. If he plays in the Champions League or Europa Cup, it will boost his chances of winning it.”

Ikpeba was in outstanding form while at Monaco and he won the 1996 Olympics football event with Nigeria’s U-23 side. He scored 13 league goals to help Monaco win the league title, and then finished as the second top scorer in the UEFA Cup in the 1996/97 season, which he said earned him the African Footballer of the Year award in 1997 and a Ballon d’Or nomination.

He added, “I did well with the Olympic team in ’96 and I continued with that top performance in ’97. We won the Ligue One and I also played a major role as Monaco reached the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup, scoring goals.

“I was one of the highest goal scorers in France and I was doing well. My performance all year was fantastic and I was nominated for the Ballon d’Or. For 18 months between 1996 and 1997, I can tell you categorically that I was the best at that time.”

Football journalist Kayode Tijani lamented the poor state of Nigerian football, saying it has contributed to the poor output of the country’s footballers.
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:37am On Jan 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt].[/size]“Our football has gone down and there is no way our players or clubs can win the top prizes at the CAF Awards.

It will take some years to produce an African Player of the Year again. At the moment, which Nigerian player can you point to?

It’s only Watford’s Ighalo but he has to be consistent for some time before he can be considered for the award,” Tijani said.

“There is no competition anymore amongst our players. Under (Clemens) Westerhof, we had three players fighting for one spot but now, our best player, Mikel (Obi) sits on the Chelsea bench most times.”

Tijani, reputed for his rich history of Nigerian football, said the footballers were no longer eager to give their best to the country, after seeing how their older colleagues were poorly treated by officials.

He said, “Who is doing insurance for the players? It was only last year that late Sam Okwaraji, who died while playing for Nigeria, got a call from Amaju Pinnick. It was the first time a government official will call the family 26 years after Okwaraji died.

“I went to Muda Lawal’s graveyard, it is a dump site. Aloysius Atuegbu died and nobody cares and the young players see how their older colleagues are treated. So, what they want now is their money, there’s no more pride in representing their country.”

He added that inability of players to progress from age-grade levels to the senior national team may also mar the country’s chances of producing an African football king in the nearest future.

“The mistakes we make start from the U-17 and U-20 levels. Instead of making talents discovered at those levels play for the senior team, officials will say they are too young. But Michael Owen was less than 18 when he dazzled the world at France ’98,” Tijani added.

“Here, we have kept the likes of Success Isaac and Kelechi Iheanacho from the Super Eagles. If Victor Osimhen was not given a chance in the U-23 team, how would we have known that he could perform very well at that level.

“We also heard stories about Amuneke not having certain players from a tribe in his team.

How can we produce players who will become Africa’s best if our best players are not given opportunities because of tribal sentiments?”

Ex-international Etim Esin argued that until youngsters are given a chance to showcase their potential, Nigeria would find it hard to produce the finest players in Africa once more.

“Most of the players we have these days tire out after a few games for the national team. In my time, I played for Nigeria at 18; Henry Nwosu was 18 and still in school when he played for the Green Eagles. So we must start using young players and not old men in the senior team.

“We are not grooming talents. Look at Andre Ayew, we saw his progression from Ghana’s U-20 team to where he is today. If he wins the award in future, I won’t be surprised because he started early. But we don’t give opportunities to young players in Nigeria,” Etim said.

The former Blegium-based player added that the organisation of the award was very poor, saying ex-footballers, who should have played major roles at the event in Abuja, were overlooked by the organisers.

“Is CAF telling us that past winners like Kanu and Ikpeba and a great player like Okocha don’t deserve to climb the podium and present the awards to the winners?

Nothing was done to showcase Nigeria’s ex-internationals, it was only the entertainment stars that enjoyed the show,” Etim added.

Tijani also faulted the organisation of the 2015 Glo-CAF Awards.

He said, “Can you imagine a Nigerian company sponsoring such a big event and no Nigerian presenter is involved. When it comes to the CAF awards, we have to be frank, especially in the last four editions, there are a lot of anomalies.

“When you look at other awards, you see consistency. Here CAF boss Issa Hayatou spoke in French and the Nigerian audience didn’t understand him. At the Ballon d’Or for instance, your earpiece will translate the language.”

With the likes of Aubameyang, Toure, Sadio Mane, Aymen Abdennour (Valencia), Nicolas Nkoulo (Marseille), Clinton Njie (Lyon) and several others doing very well week-in-week-out in Europe, it remains to be seen how Nigerian players would beat them to Africa’s best player award in the nearest future.
www.punchng.com/will-nigerian-players-rule-africa-again/

[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:32pm On Jan 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Toure should watch it.

Others to acknowledge:

O yea thats you right? Api Krismas ans Nw yr all in arrears.

Where are the leftovers Sir?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:44pm On Jan 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Toure should watch it.

Others to acknowledge:

My super friend, good to hear u are making time for fun things. Happy new year.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 5:44pm On Jan 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Toure should watch it.

Others to acknowledge:

You are welcome to our world of football.

You know you are the boss, I can't just do such a thing at your back.
Must seek approval from you.
Smiles.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Petrobros: 8:17pm On Jan 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Toure should watch it.

Others to acknowledge:

U make me laugh with this ur "Hopkins research scholarship". U dnt need to mention that here bro. A good number of us here are scholars too and no big deal abt it.

Anyways welcome back and Happy New year.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:59pm On Jan 10, 2016
Why quote me then Sir? *smiles*

Besides, Sir Terzurum5 mentioned it first in one of the mentions I saw after logging in. I was only replying him and making a little clarification.

Don't be too quick to read "meanings" into stuffs. Ostentation is not my style. *smiles*

Petrobros:

U make me laugh with this ur "Hopkins research scholarship". U dnt need to mention that here bro. A good number of us here are scholars too and no big deal abt it.

Anyways welcome back and Happy New year.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:05pm On Jan 10, 2016
Couldn't agree more Sir.... *smiles*

Chan things.. Yeah... Will miss Salami though. Hope Chikatara, Adeniji, Osas Okoro, Ezekiel Bassey, et al make that attack super in Salami's absence.

Wishing the Super Eagles home-based team ALL THE BEST.
*smiles*

Orkpekyandega:
Where casket? Make him come bury football failure for Nigeria. Lol

Ma Boss u welcom back from ya loooong break happy to 've you back.

Yaya Toure is just a sour looser. Let him go and learn from Jayjay Okocha, Mikel Obi and the likes, the courage to manage the pains of missing out on the APOTY.

There have been reviews on the unlucky contestants for this CAF Award that surfaced somany publications, before the final ceremony took place.

If only he had read those reviews and the calibre of African football talents/stars that missed out on this award, he would have come out to display such a shameful attitude.

Let the games begin.
#Chanthingsonpoint#

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2016
Yeah.... Caskets are for burials aren't they? Ahahahhahahahahahaha........ So ONLY NEGATIVES are up as burial candidates... Hehehe.

Good to see you too. *smiles*

casket:

Compliment of the season, SuperNerd..I miss you small sha ..

Lolz @ bury ONLY negatives this year comment ...

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:24pm On Jan 10, 2016
Uhmm.... Sorry Sir Black... *smiles* No leftovers. You don't want stale stuffs do you?

Good to see ya... *smiles*

BlackAlbino6:

O yea thats you right? Api Krismas ans Nw yr all in arrears.

Where are the leftovers Sir?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:27pm On Jan 10, 2016
Now isn't it BVV himself..... *smiles*

Great to see you again Sir..... And believe me, I do know how to have "FUN"...... *winks*

A bientot...

BascoVanVeli:

My super friend, good to hear u are making time for fun things. Happy new year.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2016
Yep... Thanks Sir, One of the few Super OPs we have on NL sports....

And about "that", naaah.... Don't sweat it. You have my total support.........*winks*

For the CHAN Eagles, I'm hoping to see these players step up and take the Chan tournament by storm:

-Ikechukwu Ezenwa.
-Femi Thomas.
(One of the two GKs will shine through the most, I don't know who....)

-Austin Oboroakpo.
-Ifeanyi Matthew.
-Ezekiel Bassey.
-Chisom Chikatara (hope he stays fit)
-Usman Mohammed
-Paul Onobi (hope he lives up to expectations)
-Tunde Adeniji

2016 will hopefully be another great year for Nigerian Football.
*smiles*

terzurum5:

You are welcome to our world of football.

You know you are the boss, I can't just do such a thing at your back.
Must seek approval from you.
Smiles.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:19am On Jan 11, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Yep... Thanks Sir, One of the few Super OPs we have on NL sports....

And about "that", naaah.... Don't sweat it. You have my total support.........*winks*

For the CHAN Eagles, I'm hoping to see these players step up and take the Chan tournament by storm:

-Ikechukwu Ezenwa.
-Femi Thomas.
(One of the two GKs will shine through the most, I don't know who....)

-Austin Oboroakpo.
-Ifeanyi Matthew.
-Ezekiel Bassey.
-Chisom Chikatara (hope he stays fit)
-Usman Mohammed
-Paul Onobi (hope he lives up to expectations)
-Tunde Adeniji

2016 will hopefully be another great year for Nigerian Football.
*smiles*

Especially for Ifeanyi, so so happy about the reports have got from camp training. Though not all players with exceptional training showings that translate to good performance when the real show starts.

But I still hope he puts up an exceptional performance for the team, atleast to make up for the not too impressive showing for the U20 team.

By that who knows, may be a call up to the Olympics team.

Hope am not dreaming.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by edi287: 3:39pm On Jan 11, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Cote D'ivoire
CHAN 2016: 'Mosquito', Ifeanyi Matthew shine for Nigeria
[/size]

CHAN Eagles midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew

by Samm Audu
Established Nigeria league campaigner Ikechukwu ‘Mosquito’ Ibenegbu and emerging star Ifeanyi Matthew have thus far impressed in the Super Eagles training camp ahead of next weekend’s CHAN in Rwanda.

Officials disclosed that the other players who have shone in the Eagles training camp in Pretoria, South Africa, are Nigeria U23 midfielder Usman Mohammed and little known Shooting Stars midfielder Ibrahim Salawu.

‘Mosquito’ Ibenegbu scored the Eagles goal against Angola in a warm-up match in Pretoria and his leadership overall contribution in the midfield has won him the admiration of coach Sunday Oliseh.

Versatile Nigeria U20 midfield star Ifeanyi Matthew has already been tipped to go all the way and be capped by the full international team after what he has produced thus far in South Africa.

The El Kanemi Warriors star has a strong mentality, hard working and has established himself in the starting XI for the CHAN as other more established players have struggled for form.

In the meantime, Nigeria will play their final warm-up game against Cote d’Ivoire on Monday.

The Ivorians were forced to a 1-1 draw by Nigeria’s Group C rivals Guinea in another test game on Friday also in South Africa.
africanfootball.com/news/599677/CHAN-2016-Mosquito-Ifeanyi-Matthew-shine-for-Nigeria
[/b]
Damn Mosquito is still around I remember people wanted Amodu to invite him for AFCON 2010. He should be like 27-29 now.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:55pm On Jan 11, 2016
Nigeria leads the Ivory Coast 1-0 going into half time

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:18pm On Jan 11, 2016
Ifeanyi Matthew with the goal.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by zuchyblink(m): 4:35pm On Jan 11, 2016
76' subs: Adeniji, Ifeanyi, Okoro Off, Chikatara, Usman, Aggreh #CIVNGA

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by zuchyblink(m): 4:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
71' Subs: Ibenegbu, Bassey Off, Salau, Onyedikachi On. #CIVNGA

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by zuchyblink(m): 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2016
Eagles XI vs @FIFCI_tweet( Ivory Coast): Ezenwa, Etim, Akas, Jamiu, Eze, Ifeanyi,
Onobi, Ibenegbu, Okoro, Bassey, Adeniji. #CIVNGA #Friendly

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by zuchyblink(m): 6:58pm On Jan 11, 2016
Top quality friendly against @FIFCI_tweet and a great team performance by our boys. # SoarSuperEagles #2016CHAN

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 7:58pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Ifeanyi Matthew with the goal.

Good for him. Come to think of it, he is 18 so still eligible for the 2017 U20.
He was very consistent with Elkanemi in d jst concluded season.

I hope he takes this form into the CHAN.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.