Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas (6684 Views)

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / Breaking: Ijebu Not A Yoruba Subgroup / The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by toyinakomolafe(m): 10:44pm On May 15, 2015
Ekiti is a subgroup of the yorubas covering the present day ekiti state and extends to the nearby states of ondo and kwara state. In ondo state, we have Akure, Igbara oke, Ilaramokin, Ijare etc and in Kwara we have the towns that make up Ekiti Local government. What do you think about this?
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by SirHouloo(m): 11:15pm On May 15, 2015
Ekiti yeye, thatz how we put it... Meaning- Ekiti plenty.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by toyinakomolafe(m): 12:41am On May 16, 2015
SirHouloo:
Ekiti yeye, thatz how we put it... Meaning- Ekiti plenty.
yes oo at olu. Which part are u from?
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 3:31am On May 16, 2015
The Ekitis are indeed the largest Yoruba subgroup
In addition to Ekiti state, they are the indigenes of two local government areas in Kwara state, Akure itself is an Ekiti town, as well as Iju, Ita Ogbolu, Ilara Mokin, Irun Akoko and several Akoko towns....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 6:39am On May 16, 2015
I used to think its Igbonna that are the largest o. Their headquarters is at Ila-Orangun. Igbonna are successful merchants like the Ijebu and the Ijeshas. And yes, Ekiti yeye: respect to chief Elemure, adieu.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 6:41am On May 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I used to think its Igbonna that are the largest o. Their headquarters is at Ila-Orangun. Igbonna are successful merchants like the Ijebu and the Ijeshas. And yes, Ekiti yeye: respect to chief Elemure, adieu.

Ekitis are more than the Igbominas oo.
Ekiti state is around 3 Million people.... and the state is 100% Ekiti
There are also two local governments in Kwara that are Ekiti...... A large chunk of Ondo state too are Ekiti by descent.

Igbomina are in Osun and Kwara, can you do the breakdown of their population.....
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 7:18am On May 16, 2015
scholes0:

There are also two local governments in Kwara that are Ekiti...... A large chunk of Ondo state too are Ekiti by descent.

Igbomina are in Osun and Kwara, can you do the breakdown of their population.....
Em no statistics to do my demographic claims o.grin, but I know our leaders will soon come to do justice to the question. I love Ekiti folks, except that they pick on our girls alot. I be 'omo Ogun, iseya'. cheesy We are good people.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 16, 2015
Ekiti parapo
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 16, 2015

The Igbominas are in Ondo State; the Ajashes in Benin Republic are originslly from Ajashe Ipo in Kwara state

Talking of the numerical strength, i think the Ekitis should have an edge because they solely occupy a whole state and extend to other states.

Jokingly, they did not go international like us.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 16, 2015
OBA ILE - AKURE SOUTH
OBA AKOKO - AKOKO S/WEST

These two towns are Igbomina towns in Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by SirHouloo(m): 6:31pm On May 16, 2015
toyinakomolafe:
yes oo at olu. Which part are u from?
Ode Ekiti.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 6:57pm On May 16, 2015
walexy30:

The Igbominas are in Ondo State; the Ajashes in Benin Republic are originslly from Ajashe Ipo in Kwara state

Talking of the numerical strength, i think the Ekitis should have an edge because they solely occupy a whole state and extend to other states.

Jokingly, they did not go international like us.

Not even close.
What is the population os ALL of Kwara? around 2.7 Million (Less than Ekiti) .... And the Igbominas share the state with the Ekitis, Okuns, Oyo, Ibolo, Ilorins, Nupes, Baribas And all the others
The Igbomina area in Osun state is just the northern portions of Osun state ... There are no tangible Igbomina communities in Benin republic or Ondo... that one isn't true.
And what do you mean that the Ekiti didn't go "International" like us" .... it is a well known fact that the Ekiti are one of the most travelled Yoruba sub-groups.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 7:18pm On May 16, 2015
He mean to say Ekitis are not divided between two neighbouring countries.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 7:22pm On May 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

but he didn't give any tangible proof that the Yoruba community of Porto-Novo (Ajase) are Igbomina.... he only cited similarity in name.
Do you know how many Yoruba towns are named Ayegunle for example..... will it be right to infer that an Ayegunle community in Ondo is descended from an Ayegunle community in Oyo, based on similarity of names?
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Yes, that is what i meant.

I know Scholes, you can't defeat him in any argument. he is good at that.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 16, 2015
scholes0:

but he didn't give any tangible proof that the Yoruba community of Porto-Novo (Ajase) are Igbomina.... he only cited similarity in name.
Do you know how many Yoruba towns are named Ayegunle for example..... will it be right to infer that an Ayegunle community in Ondo is descended from an Ayegunle community in Oyo, based on similarity of names?

Even the people of Ajase in Benin know their origin. it was Nupe war that made flee there.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 7:32pm On May 16, 2015
walexy30:

Yes, that is what i meant.

I know Scholes, you can't defeat him in any argument. he is good at that.

Omo iya mi.... We shouldn't argue to win or vanquish or to emerge looking more knowledgeable than your fellows, but rather to learn more and improve ourselves. That is what I argue for.
Pls, let us share ideas, in that way, we can both learn more.... Till today, the Ekitis still feel cheated, even after state creation, because of the numerous Ekiti communities still not yet in the state, including those of Kwara and Ondo. Just the old Ekiti region of the Old wwestern region was carved into the state. That is why everyone knows the Ekiti are the largest or 2nd largest Yoruba group. The tie is between Ekitis and Oyos.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 16, 2015
walexy30:

Even the people of Ajase in Benin know their origin. it was Nupe war that made flee there.

I had met them one on one; they confirmed this to me.

so, it is a fact.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 16, 2015
scholes0:

Omo iya mi.... We shouldn't argue to win or vanquish or to emerge looking more knowledgeable than your fellows, but rather to learn more and improve ourselves. That is what I argue for.
Pls, let us share ideas, in that way, we can both learn more.... Till today, the Ekitis still feel cheated, even after state creation, because of the numerous Ekiti communities still not yet in the state, including those of Kwara and Ondo. Just the old Ekiti region of the Old wwestern region was carved into the state. That is why everyone knows the Ekiti are the largest or 2nd largest Yoruba group. The tie is between Ekitis and Oyos.

Thank you my brother, i agree with you.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 7:40pm On May 16, 2015
walexy30:

I had met them one on one; they confirmed this to me.

so, it is a fact.

Okay.... I agree.
But even if that is true, the Ajase of today is more cosmopolitan than it has ever been. I doubt the aboriginal Igbominas make up 1/4 of the city. Another legend says the city was founded by the Eguns anyway.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by toyinakomolafe(m): 7:45pm On May 16, 2015
SirHouloo:

Ode Ekiti.
i am from ikere both from the same senatorial district
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 2:09pm On May 17, 2015
scholes0:

No. Efon is not Ekiti. . they reside in the Ekiti hilly lands but they are Ijesa like Imesi too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 2:19pm On May 17, 2015
scholes0:

but he is right. nd Ayegunle could be descended from Oyo.. most Ondo communities are initially from Oyo
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by absoluteSuccess: 3:34pm On May 17, 2015
Ajashe is known as HOGBONU to the Dahomeans.

The place is also known as KUTONU.

walexy, Dahomey is not the same as benin, the people did chose to be known as Republic of benin, being one of the west coast countries found on the continental shelve known as 'bight of benin'.

Also, the francophone country comprises of many ethnic groups, so it is necessary to change from its old name Dahomey to something more accommodating of her diversity, hence the name change.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 17, 2015
scholes0:

or Ayegunle in ijesa
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by Nobody: 11:17am On May 18, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Ajashe is known as HOGBONU to the Dahomeans.

The place is also known as KUTONU.

walexy, Dahomey is not the same as benin, the people did chose to be known as Republic of benin, being one of the west coast countries found on the continental shelve known as 'bight of benin'.

Also, the francophone country comprises of many ethnic groups, so it is necessary to change from its old name Dahomey to something more accommodating of her diversity, hence the name change.

Noted.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by lawani: 3:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
You can't say Akure is Ekiti because the Ijesha also claim them, so Akure is Akure. Not Ekiti if Ijesha is not Ekiti. Same is true for all those places you mentioned in Ondo, they are more of Ijesha because there is actually no unit as Ekiti because all the town hold themselves separate from others and speak related but different dialects. It is now that an Ekiti identity is being created in Nigeria.

If not for the incursion of the Benin empire and later Ibadan in Osogbo. Large parts of Ondo and Ekiti would have been Ijesha as they were in the past.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by macof(m): 4:00pm On Dec 26, 2015
lawani:
You can't say Akure is Ekiti because the Ijesha also claim them, so Akure is Akure. Not Ekiti if Ijesha is not Ekiti. Same is true for all those places you mentioned in Ondo, they are more of Ijesha because there is actually no unit as Ekiti because all the town hold themselves separate from others and speak related but different dialects. It is now that an Ekiti identity is being created in Nigeria.

If not for the incursion of the Benin empire and later Ibadan in Osogbo. Large parts of Ondo and Ekiti would have been Ijesha as they were in the past.

This is true. Ekiti used to be Ijesa in the past.. but it didn't take nigeria to create an Ekiti identity

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 4:55pm On Dec 26, 2015
lawani:

What do you mean by saying the Ekiti Identity was only formed/created by Nigeria?
Ekiti existed as far back as Yoruba subgroups called themselves Igbomina or Akoko or Ibolo or Egba. And what does it mater when the Identity is created anyways? Egbado/Yewa and Okun are two of some of the the most recent creations among yoruba subgroups, the former through war resettlement and the later through a need to coalesce and create a common identity among the most north-eastern Yoruba subgroups. The point is that these people see the commonality between one another and find it compatible to come under one umbrella as one. Akure has always been Ekiti, before the British made it the regional capital of a new Ondo division under Western nigeria.
Ijeshas have always had their own seperate identity, and the only areas of similarity are as to be expected in the border areas. Ikole or Ise has nothing to do with Ibokun, rather the Jeshas should look westwards towards the Ibolos and Ifes to find more similarity.
Ekiti land stretches from parts of Kwara in the North to parts of Ondo in the South, bordered by the Akoko and Yagba in the east and by the Ijesha and Ondos in the west. The largest Yoruba sub-unit of people (Population-wise)

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by lawani: 8:55pm On Dec 26, 2015
There was no central authourity in Ekiti in the past. This is why I said they had no unified identity pre Nigeria. All the communities held themselves separate and communities like Efon Alaaye are more of Ijesa. All the communities you mentioned in Ondo are more of Ijesa also, by dialect and history of many resident families. Then the Ijesa, Ife and etc are thesame as Ekiti by dialect. The Ijesa were better nation builders than the Ekiti who preferred to live in laid back and unambitious communities.

The Oyo are the largest group of Yoruba, controlling most of the big towns Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Ilorin, Osogbo, Offa and etc, all settled after the Oyo were dislodged from the North by Fulani jihadists. Ijebu and Remo together should be more than Ekiti even if you add up all the Ekitis together. Towns under the Ijebu are Ijebu Ode, Ijebu Igbo, Shagamu, Ikorodu, Epe and many others. The main Ekiti town is Ado, then there are Ikere, Efon Alaaye and etc. If you add up all the towns that were under Ijesha in the past, it would be Ilesa, Akure, Osogbo, Ipetu Ijesa, Ibokun, Esa Oke, Ido Osun and etc but Akure and Osogbo are out. Osogbo is dominated by Oyo though prominent families claim Ijesa origin while Akure has come into their own. Ijesas are sizeable in the diaspora. The Akoko are also in Edo and Ondo states, the Ikale are in Ondo too, Igbomina in Osun and Kwara with capital in Ila Orangun and etc. The Okun are in Kogi with towns like Kabba, Obajana and etc, Lokoja is also there but Lokoja was Oyo and not Okun. Lokoja is now like Lagos, a non indigenous town. If there is proper delineation, a new Ijesa state may add back old territories including Osogbo and Akure, places like Efon Alaaye, Ilaramokin and many Ondo parts speaking Ijesa may join too which will mean Ijesa will be more than Ekiti.

As it is presently Oyos are clearly more than Ekiti if not more than double, same with Ijebu with their spread in Lagos and Ogun states

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by lawani: 9:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
Go back 2 or 3 thousand years and there were nothing like Oyo, Ijesha, Igbomina, Okun and etc. They are all new nomenclatures.
Re: Ekiti As The Largest Subgroup Of The Yorubas by scholes0(m): 10:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
lawani:
There was no central authourity in Ekiti in the past. This is why I said they had no unified identity pre Nigeria. All the communities held themselves separate and communities like Efon Alaaye are more of Ijesa. All the communities you mentioned in Ondo are more of Ijesa also, by dialect and history of many resident families. Then the Ijesa, Ife and etc are thesame as Ekiti by dialect. The Ijesa were better nation builders than the Ekiti who preferred to live in laid back and unambitious communities.

But what has this got to do with anything? Ekitis lived in autonomous communities does not mean they didn't have an Identity. And even if they didn't, they have had one for many many years now. It is well known that the Eastern Yoruba subgroups preferred to live in numerous autonomous communities, akin to the Igbos, compared to the Western Yoruba subgroups who preferred building city states. That is why if you pay a closer look at Yorubabland, the population densities of Akokoland, Ekitiland, Ijebuland and parts of Osun state are substantially greater than those of Oyo state, Kwara state and Western Ogun. Are you saying all these peoples had no identities as well, because they didn't follow a city-state style of identity building?
The settlement patterns of the Ijeshas is not that different from that of the Ekitis, you have Ilesha and many other smaller hamlets scattered around the vicinity, the Ekitis have Ado, Akure, and numerous other towns that are much bigger than that of the Ijeshas, so how exactly are the Ijeshas better nation builders?

Ekiti is derived from the Yoruba word "Okiti", meaning Hilly or Hills, which didn't allow most communities to become huge expansive settlements like Ibadan or Ilorin, they simply built in accordance with their environment. But that does not mean they didn't know whom they were, if not, the Ekitis of Kwara wouldn't have asked the colonial administration to shift the borders of Southern Nigeria further northwards, to separate them from the Ilorin leaning Igbominas. Till today, only Otun Ekiti was returned to the Southern protectorate among the northern Ekiti towns.

lawani:
The Oyo are the largest group of Yoruba, controlling most of the big towns Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Ilorin, Osogbo, Offa and etc

Well, the Oyos might just tip the Ekitis to being the largest or be the second largest themselves, but let us look at it critically, Oyo state itself is not all Oyo, there are still the Ibarapas, and others. Cities like Osogbo, Okuku, Ikirun, Ejigbo, and Offa are Igbolos, I see you think they are Oyos, but they are actually not the same.. Ilorin on its own part, is a cosmopolitan city made up of Oyos, Ibolos, Igbominas, Ekitis, Nupes Etc.
Ekitis cover all of Ekiti state which is already Half of Oyo, and parts of the adjacent areas including Akure.
Anybody interested can do the math sha.

lawani:
all settled after the Oyo were dislodged from the North by Fulani jihadists. Ijebu and Remo together should be more than Ekiti even if you add up all the Ekitis together. Towns under the Ijebu are Ijebu Ode, Ijebu Igbo, Shagamu, Ikorodu, Epe and many others. The main Ekiti town is Ado, then there are Ikere, Efon Alaaye and etc. If you add up all the towns that were under Ijesha in the past, it would be Ilesa, Akure, Osogbo, Ipetu Ijesa, Ibokun, Esa Oke, Ido Osun and etc but Akure and Osogbo are out. Osogbo is dominated by Oyo though prominent families claim Ijesa origin while Akure has come into their own. Ijesas are sizeable in the diaspora. The Akoko are also in Edo and Ondo states, the Ikale are in Ondo too, Igbomina in Osun and Oyo with capital in Ila Orangun and etc. If there is proper delineation, a new Ijesa state may add back old territories including Osogbo and Akure, places like Efon Alaaye, Ilaramokin and many Ondo parts speaking Ijesa may join too which will mean Ijesa will be more than Ekiti. As it is presently Oyos are clearly more than Ekiti if not more than double, same with Ijebu with their spread in Lagos and Ogun states
No, the towns established after Oyo-Ile and surrounding towns were displaced are well documented in Yoruba history, such as Ibadan.
But some of them have always been there. Also, Ijebus aren't more than Ekitis. Even the Jebus can't say that. Ijebu East, which is the core of Ogun state isn't even up to Ekiti state in population.
You have to realize that the Ekitis do not have many big towns, Ado is the only town over 400,000, but they have numerous small towns that are spread and cover every where, that is why you hear so many towns of "This-Ekiti", "That-Ekiti", "That-Ekiti", "That one-Ekiti" "This-one-Ekiti" etc
Ilesha was and is still the largest town of the Ijeshas, Akure was an Ijesha town? How sir? How can the Ijeshas be more than the Ekitis, Mr Lawani, that is out of the question.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Axum I Have A Question... / Olajumoke Of The Yoruba Folktale / Our Today Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.