Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,695 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Persecution Of Corpers By Soldiers On Camp: The Way Out - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Persecution Of Corpers By Soldiers On Camp: The Way Out (980 Views)

Married Female Corper Caught Having Sex By Soldiers In Plateau State NYSC Camp / 9 Types Of Corpers You Meet At NYSC Orientation Camp / Katsina Corpers Who Refused To Attend SAED Disciplined By Soldiers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Persecution Of Corpers By Soldiers On Camp: The Way Out by abdussalam(m): 6:06am On May 16, 2015
How corpers can prevent soldiers from persecuting them on camp by Abdussalam Amoo

I've read the two reported stories of soldiers' persecution/intimidation of corpers in both Nasarrawa State and Katsina State. As much as people would like to blame soldiers, I feel it's wrong blaming them entirely. I'll rather blame the corpers. Soldiers don't go about beating or punishing corpers for no reason. Some corpers behave unruly but expect some non-existent preferential treatment because they 'know' someone or they underrate the soldiers to be less schooled . The recurrence of the incidents elsewhere is preventable if we could all take yield.

While I camped last August at the NYSC Orientation Camp in Paiko Niger State, I was also a 'victim' of soldier 'persecution'. As much as I could, I tried to conduct myself in a dignifying manner throughout the camp except for that unfortunate incident.

Ordinarily, I do arrive at the lecture arena at least an hour before the official time of commencement which is 9am. That day was no exception. Some two hours into the lecture(s) of that day, I felt the need to ease myself (urinate). The closest place I thought I could go was the camp clinic. The soldier in charge of that area ordered me to return after I explained my situation to him. I didn't leave. I told him to STOP WASTING MY TIME (The actual words were: 'I don't have to for this rubbish. You're just wasting my time.'). This provoked the punishment that followed. I was asked to roll on the road in my 5/7 khaki. It wasn't a pleasant experience but I learnt my lessons. Major of them being -- NEVER PROVE A POINT TO A SOLDIER. JUST OBEY THE ORDER!

After serving the unnecessary self-induced punishment, I found another place to ease myself conveniently. Probably if I had turned back when that officer ordered me to do, I could have saved myself from such a punishment. I could have gone to that alternative place (a toilet preceding the clinic). That I disobeyed that soldier against camp instructions preventing movement at certain places and times costed me the pain of the supposed persecution by the soldier.

Those corps members reportedly punished were supposed to be aware of the strict camp rules. All corpers are usually given a booklet containing the schedule of events on camp. We all should endeavour to abide by them. The NYSC was originally designed to be a paramilitary scheme. You can't rule out the involvement of soldiers. Discipline is what the soldiers are there to instill in us. Some people would want to question why some soldiers could be so inhumane. Such people should also question why some corpers could be indiscipline. Respect is reciprocal. An obedient person is well regarded while the unruly is paid in his own coin.

If those corps members had been time-conscious, they could have saved themselves from such incidences. Normally, ill people are meant to be in the clinic, not roaming around. If they can't be accommodated there, they should get a card or any form of evidence indicating their health situation. Those on medication should watch out for making special provision of feeding themselves during the official free periods without downplaying camp rules.

Emergencies do occur and soldiers too aren't immune to such. Should emergency occur, don't let it be when you're on the wrong side of the rules. The soldiers have seen corpers pretending in time past and could assume you are too. Corpers should endeavour to maintain discipline in order to prevent the recurrence of such incidences.

PS: The Yorubas would say 'The head that would be knocked would get knocked even when the person puts on a helmet'. Even after reading this, some corpers would still fall victim of such avoidable persecution.

- Abdussalam Amoo is a 2014 Batch B Corps Member serving in Minna, Niger State
Source: https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1068722549821968&id=100000526988744&_rdr

1 Like

Re: Persecution Of Corpers By Soldiers On Camp: The Way Out by ibrokola(m): 6:23am On May 16, 2015
So true Op. I just kept laughing when some of the Corp members said they were planning a protest! Do they think they are still civilians or in their institutions of learning? They dropped their rights and freedom at the camp gate(that's why NYSC is a "corp" and not an institution.) Not all Corp members were punished and so to those complaining I only have one advice, "If you want to buy job, be ready to serve it gallantly!"
Re: Persecution Of Corpers By Soldiers On Camp: The Way Out by Nobody: 6:47am On May 16, 2015
For those that have travelled or living in the US/UK, their military/armed men respects civilians and human rights. If there's human right violation you go to court, it works over there. This is Nigeria, Africa where our soldiers don't give a Bleep or a damn about who you are as long as you are a civilian, your qualifications/Phd, and your status, you are a GM/CEO. A young recruit that has not been to the four walls of classroom will pull you over, ask you to step out of your Range Evogue 2014/Lamborghini Galardo, they will rubbish you, dirty you, roll you in the mud and at the end nothing will happen.
When we know this, why must we subject ourselves to the embarrassment in the first place? Why can't we leave what's for caesar to caesar, obey them and let go.
When I was in service about 3years ago,Yola camp, a corp member almost punched a soldier.
Respect yourself and they will respect you, but some corpers are very rude. No matter what these soldiers do to any corper member, nothing will happen. So I think its better for the corpers to just play by their rules and let them be. Gone are those days when corpers are respected and untouchable.
Re: Persecution Of Corpers By Soldiers On Camp: The Way Out by abdussalam(m): 1:33pm On May 16, 2015
Cc: yokiti, crazyman et al.

(1) (Reply)

No RECORD Found ISSUE / Download Learn Hausa Corpershun(app Designed To Help Corp Members Learn Hausa) / See The Romantic Love Letter A Female Student Wrote To A Male Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.