Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties (16321 Views)

Saraki’s Trial Splits APC; Senior Member Blasts Party Leaders For ‘keeping Quiet / PDP Crisis: Party Bigwigs Consider Engaging EFCC Against NWC Members / Tinubu Blasts Party Leaders Over Loss To PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by msmon(m): 7:07am On May 16, 2015
Top shots of the Peoples Democratic Party have set plans in motion to dissolve the party and merge with other parties with “similar ideology” to form a stronger and fresher coalition after the handover of power on May 29.

The PDP, which has ruled Nigeria since 1999, lost the March 28 presidential election to the opposition All Progressives Congress.

The party also lost its majority position in the two houses of the National Assembly, as well as governorship elections in many states especially in
the north where it could only retain Gombe and Taraba states.

The party’s victory in Rivers and Akwa Ibom state is also being threatened by a strong set of evidence of rigging in the April 11 governorship election in
the two states.

PREMIUM TIMES investigations revealed that Governors Sule Lamido, Godswill Akpabio, Muazu Aliyu and a few other governors are pushing towards forming an alliance with other parties.

Top PDP members of the party, such former defence chief, Theophilus Danjuma, former finance minister,
Adamu Ciroma, and others, are in the lead.

A source, familiar with the moves, informed PREMIUM TIMES that the PDP is planning to merge with the All Progressive Grand Alliance, Labour Party, Kowa, Hope Party and others to form a mega opposition party to challenge the APC.

“There will be a special convention after the handover on May 29 where a formal merger process will start,” he said.

The spokesperson to Governor Muazu Aliyu of Niger state, Israel Ebije, confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that Mr. Aliyu is working alongside other colleagues to “take over” the party.

“You are right,” Mr. Ebije said. “There are moves
going on along this direction and the plan is to
transform the party into a very formidable opposition. Many individuals and of course political
parties of like minds would be invited to be on board.”

He also said Governors Lamido and Aliyu decided to
stay in the PDP as a matter of principle.

“They cannot leave a house they built to tenants to
take over,” he said.

Mr. Ebije said the plan for a new, stronger party
may not come as soon as power is handed over.

“The PDP convention will take place on May 15,
2016 and the plan is to take over the leadership
with people who can deliver,” he said.

He also said that those pushing for the agenda have
concluded that the word PDP has become toxic to
Nigerians and that it will be counterproductive to
continue to use it as a viable opposition party.

“PDP may go and a new party may emerge, that is
the way to go,” he said.

Our source added that the new party would engage
in aggressive membership drive as soon as it comes
on board. He said the new party will monitor events
in the APC and is hoping that after the President
elect, Muhammadu Buhari, forms his cabinet, a few
people who have no place will feel disappointed and
would join the opposition.

The APC was formed through the merger of three
main opposition parties, the Action Congress of
Nigeria, the All Nigeria Peoples Party, and the Congress for Progressive Change, as well as a
faction of APGA in 2013.

The formation of the APC brought about a strong
challenge to the PDP, which had been in power
since the return to democratic rule in 1998.

The new party’s efforts were helped by the
defection of five governors and former Vice
President Atiku Abubakar from the PDP after they
staged a walkout at the national convention of the
party in Abuja in 2013.

Speaking on Saturday, our source said the new
party, when formed, also plans to court as many
retired Nigerians as possible, particularly those
seen as “apolitical”, to swell its ranks and put it on
a strong pedestal to challenge the APC.

NWC kicks

The latest move to dissolve the PDP appears not to
have the backing of the party’s National Working
Committee.

The spokesperson of the party, Olisa Metuh who
spoke with PREMIUM TIMES over the telephone on
Saturday accused those “who are refusing to see
that the party leadership is in charge” of trying yet
again to create crisis in the party.

“I can tell you authoritatively that there is no such
thing on the card,” he said

Mr. Metuh said the problems of the party are over
and that the NWC is focused on repositioning the
party.

He said the NWC is presently engaged in ensuring
that the PDP does not lose more states to the APC
through election petition tribunals.

“What is occupying our minds now is to make sure
that APC propaganda does not work in states that
we have won to affect our efforts at the tribunals,”
Mr. Metuh said.

He also denied talks of any merger with other
political parties.

“What is happening is that people don’t seem to
appreciate that we are the administrators of this
party and we have the capacity and competence to
lead the PDP back to power,” he said.

The PDP had been embroiled in controversy since
losing the presidential election. Many top members
of the party including governors elected under the
platform of the party accused the National Working
Committee of leading the party to its most
disastrous outing and therefore asked the NWC
members to resign their positions.

Those pushing for the sack of the leadership of the
party also accused the leaders of siphoning
campaign funds. The NWC members were accused
of collecting N300 million each but failed to do
anything for the victory of its candidate, Goodluck
Jonathan.

The NWC on the other hand accused the presidential campaign organisation of causing the
defeat of Mr. Jonathan by carrying out hate speech
against the APC candidate, Mr. Buhari and the
people of the north.

Mr. Metuh had penultimate week addressed a
press conference in his office and said the money
given to NWC members were the backlog of
allowances that had not been paid for two years.

He also said instead of embezzling campaign funds,
the party spent the over N9 billion it generated on
the sale of nomination forms on the presidential as
well as governorship and assembly campaigns.

Mr. Metuh also said the NWC was side-lined during
the campaign and that no money was given to it
and could not therefore, have embezzled what was
not given in the first place.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/183045-pdp-crisis-party-leaders-plot-change-of-name-merger-with-smaller-parties.html
Cc: omenka, politricks, genbuhari, lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by justphillips(m): 7:08am On May 16, 2015
Kpom

modified:

*clears throat*
FTC , and so?

Shoutout to awon goons mi

shoutout to my gf for that wonderful bj she gave me lastnight.

And to whoever that will quote/mention this post to spew BS; yur fada yansh.

*in koko master's voice*
am on top of the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by adedam007(m): 7:08am On May 16, 2015
T
Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Mynd44: 7:12am On May 16, 2015
He also said that those pushing for the agenda have concluded that the word PDP has become toxic to Nigerians and that it will be counterproductive to continue to use it as a viable opposition party.
This is damn hilarious

“They cannot leave a house they built to tenants to take over,” he said.
And why does this seem familiar to Nigeria?

Oh well

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by omenka(m): 7:18am On May 16, 2015
Cant find the post where I said this, but I did say the only hope of a comeback for PDP is a merger and a change of name. cheesy

Sometimes I think myself a political prophet, or perhaps, politically, Nigeria is very predictable. smiley

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by egift(m): 7:21am On May 16, 2015
I remember saying this. If APGA, KOWA, Accord and LP can merge ignoring the PDP, they even have a better chance because the name PDP is synonymous to killing, failure and incompetence. Once they fail again come 2019, nobody will like to be associated with PDP.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Lattop(m): 7:25am On May 16, 2015
I will Love to see d mergers as a strong nd viable opposition 4 d next 8years grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by msmon(m): 7:27am On May 16, 2015
Even with that, they still have a long way to go because it's crystal clear that Nigerians are getting more inclined and sensitive politically... Most of us are familiar with certain personality that of the hearing of their name alone, we detest whatever they are into or whoever they are representing.

It baffles me though how many people ignore the fact that APC success in the past general election cab be slightly attributed to decampees from PDP.

Lemme just say this before it eventually happen, the next major opposition in Nigeria will come from APC.

Nigeria is very predictable politically bro

omenka:
Cant find the post where I said this, but I did say the only hope of a comeback for PDP is a merger and a change of name. cheesy

Sometimes I think myself a political prophet, or perhaps, politically, Nigeria is very predictable. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by socialmediaman: 7:40am On May 16, 2015
I have always thought the PDP cannot make a comeback with that same name, same officials, same set of cabals at the helm of affairs etc. it must be completely sanitized over a period of at least 8yrs before it can make impact at the national level.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by PassingShot(m): 7:43am On May 16, 2015
omenka:

I remember vividly you said it. But many of us actually knew it will be extremely difficult for PDP to become dominant again in our polity after squandering 16 years of our nation's life and resources. Only those who get peanuts as protection think otherwise and they're few in number.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Sunnymatey(m): 7:44am On May 16, 2015
To me, it's not all about changing name or merging. But, 1. turning a new live from their practice of winner takes it all, politics of exclusion, uncouraging corruption etc. 2. Sourcing for a credible person to fly the party's flag in future elections. 3. Consult me for more tips.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by asapeola(m): 7:56am On May 16, 2015
ACN + CPC = APC

PDP + APGA + KOWA = PAKO

PAKO the newest opposition in town!

But wat will be their mantra now

PAKO! CHEMIST!! grin

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by IamPatriotic(m): 8:31am On May 16, 2015
The only thing that can bring PDP back from the brink under whatever nomenclature is the total and unlikely failure of Buhari's government, and once that doesn't happen, they should forget it, because they're done with.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:31am On May 16, 2015
The biggest party in Africa running helter-skelter looking for alliance!
gringringrin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by wheesin(m): 8:42am On May 16, 2015
hehehe...pdp merging with kowa..omg grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by MyMouth(m): 9:01am On May 16, 2015
After may 28, Lamido and his 2 sons, babangida Aliyu, Agbiao, and many of them PDP guys would be thinking of how to stay out of jail rather then politics.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by phlemzy: 9:12am On May 16, 2015
asapeola:
ACN + CPC = APC

PDP + APGA + KOWA = PAKO

PAKO! CHEMIST!! grin
Funny name u arrived at. U even related it with names of bus stops. The new party to come,PAKO gat absorb u o for ur creativity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by shachris02: 9:28am On May 16, 2015
PDP is going down and there's nothing anyone can do about it. so sad.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by okooloyun1(m): 9:29am On May 16, 2015
Change don change their career

2 Likes

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by shedrack222: 9:30am On May 16, 2015
PDP una sink finish

HIV-Positive student who filmed unprotected sexcapades, gets 30 years in prison

[url]proudlyweb.com/hiv-positive-student-who-filmed-unprotected-sexcapades-gets-30-years-in-prison[/url]

2 Likes

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Dannyset(m): 9:30am On May 16, 2015
Hahahahahahahahahaha! E don dey do dem film trick oo.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Flashh: 9:31am On May 16, 2015
PDP is nothing but copy cat.

They want to change it because ACN changed to APC and made success!

They finally want to make a "CHANGE". grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Pangea: 9:31am On May 16, 2015
ROTFL grin

APC watch and learn how not to run a party!

Back to the story,
Change of name is not the solution !
A piece of crap remains crap no matter how you dress it.
Let it just die a natural death
So that Nigeria can move on!

How are the mighty fallen!

All thanks to Jonathan!
The greatest destroyer , apa, omo oninakuna, pestilential waster!
He met PDP , the most powerful party in Africa and reduced it to a party begging for merger and change of name while it is still in power.
Sometimes I think Jonathan is one of those angels with plagues on a mission of destruction sent to the world in the book of revelation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by omenka(m): 9:31am On May 16, 2015
asapeola:
ACN + CPC = APC
PDP + APGA + KOWA = PAKO
PAKO! CHEMIST!! grin
You just gotta love this forum!! Lmao!! cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by godofwar666(m): 9:31am On May 16, 2015
T

1 Like

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Emmysteve(m): 9:32am On May 16, 2015
Y

1 Like

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by Zico5(m): 9:33am On May 16, 2015
This is getting serious. So money matter is the only cord that binds PDP together. Thank God for this change and all these revelations. PDP is cancer that should be avoided if Nigeria really want change.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by zicoraads: 9:33am On May 16, 2015
What is wrong with Olisa Metuh and the NWC of the PDP? A dissolution and a merger is the best way to go. There is no way the PDP will still be relevant if the NWC continues to frustrate this moves. If they are not ready for cleansing, they should give way to those people who are. Shikena!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by mrborntodoit: 9:33am On May 16, 2015
I hope they won't recycle polithifcians like apc
Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by synergycom19: 9:35am On May 16, 2015
They couldn't stop being naive,ignorant and arrogant.

1 Like

Re: PDP Crisis: Party Leaders Plot Change Of Name, Merger With Smaller Parties by kent79: 9:37am On May 16, 2015
K

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Cut Meal Allowances Of Officials By 65% / President Buhari Likes Caricature, He's Not Behind Arrest Of Trader - Presidency / Northern Governors Blame Southeast Politicians For Zone’s Backwardness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.