Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project (1625 Views)

Buhari’s US Visit: A Master Stroke In Image Laundering, By Charles Anyiam / Change Advocates Of Nigeria Dumps Buhari Supports Jonathan / Mrs.patience Goodluck Jonathan: From Money Laundering To Image Laundering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Muza(m): 10:41am On Feb 10, 2009
Nigeria dumps image laundering project

Lagos, Nigeria - Nigeria has dumped its ''Heart of Africa'' image laundering project, embarked upon during the second-term of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, describing it as a failure.

In its place, the government has launched a Re-branding Campaign to polish off the country's image, believed to have been dented, perhaps more than any other thing, by the activities of a few crooks who swindled many foreigners of their money through the Advance Fee Fraud, known locally as '419', named after the relevant section of the nation's penal code.

''Heart of Africa could not fly for many reasons. The name is contentious. Malawi was the first country to use the Heart of Africa slogan and many other countries have laid claims to being the heart of Africa,'' Information Minister Dora Akunyili told participants at the campaign in Abuja on Monday.

Explaining further why the Heart of Africa project failed, she said: ''Heart of Africa was first launched overseas and that automatically disconnected the ordinary Nigerian from this project, making it look elitist.''

Prof. Akunyili said that the government had therefore decided to embark on a new branding project that will be home grown.

On the need to re-brand Nigeria, the Minister said it was so critical because it would address the fundamental issue of how the country and its citizenry were perceived and treated.

''This is fundamental to our national development. Ministers will come and go. Presidents will come and go, but Nigeria will remain. This re-branding is about our collective interest, our image as a country and as a people in the present and the future,'' she said.

The Heart of Africa project was launched with fanfare in world capitals and showcased on the global cable television CNN by then Information Minister Frank Nweke.

http://www.afriquejet.com/news/africa-news/nigeria-dumps-image-laundering-project-2009021021561.html
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Lagosboy: 10:46am On Feb 10, 2009
If you like brand shit and call am cake, package the shit well once we open am we go no say na shit.

We have to clean up the mess in the shit called Nigeria before any yeye branding. This woman would just mess herself up in this position.
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Nemeziz9ja: 1:12pm On Feb 10, 2009
wink Shikena! Big Mess uP.
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Seun(m): 1:36pm On Feb 10, 2009
What's the difference between the old one and the new one?
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Feb 10, 2009
Different names? roflmao!!!!
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by BOSS7: 1:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
Lagosboy:

If you like brand shit and call am cake, package the shit well once we open am we go no say na shit.

We have to clean up the mess in the shit called Nigeria before any yeye branding. This woman would just mess herself up in this position.
It'll be rebranded from shit to crap. Oh, I forgot they mean the same. What a mess. These leaders need their brians rebranded.
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by JJYOU: 2:00pm On Feb 10, 2009
why cant she start by telling the theives in her party and govt that they are spoiling naija's image
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Lagosboy: 2:02pm On Feb 10, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

It'll be rebranded from shit to crap. Oh, I forgot they mean the same. What a mess. These leaders need their brians rebranded.

Need i say more. thier brains are dead except to rigging it comes alive. Rebranding sef no fit work for their brain
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by tpia: 2:19pm On Feb 10, 2009
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by MrCrackles(m): 2:23pm On Feb 10, 2009
Good idea and Nigeria shouldnt forget to dump "Money Laundering Projects too"
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by hollandis(f): 2:26pm On Feb 10, 2009
JJYOU:

why cant she start by telling the theives in her party and govt that they are spoiling naija's image
sometimes i wonder if 419ers are the real problem.Nigeria has a leadership crisis
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by mustafar1: 3:18pm On Feb 10, 2009
MrCrackles:

Good idea and Nigeria shouldnt forget to dump "Money Laundering Projects too"

if you ask me, i'll say they should dump the money laundering projects first. they might not need to dump the image laundering one after thats done.
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2009
must_a_far:

if you ask me, i'll say they should dump the money laundering projects first. they might not need to dump the image laundering one after thats done.

Agreed!! This is sort of like watching China sell itself as a country that respects human rights when the world knows that is not the case.
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by MrCrackles(m): 4:04pm On Feb 10, 2009
must_a_far:

As long as they dump all the rubbish projects altogether! cheesy
Re: Nigeria Dumps Image Laundering Project by scap(m): 7:03pm On Feb 10, 2009
Re-what? Who is fooling who! Are we re branding the death of the manufacturing industry or the use of generators or what. Where did this lady come from,the moon? Give me a break will yah!

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Explosion In Abuja Mogadishu Barrack / Ogun State 2011, Gobernitorial Election, Pdp, Ppn Versus Action Congress Of Nigeria? / Nigeria Navy Trains Benin Republic Against Piracy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.