Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,218 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Some Cultural Usances Are Predicated On Ignorance - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Cultural Usances Are Predicated On Ignorance (753 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Cultural Usances Are Predicated On Ignorance by BloodShed1: 2:04pm On Feb 10, 2009
Nigerian culture (well, many aspects anyway) is predicated on ignorance.

One example:

This whole ''I'm older'' thing. So it seems to me that olders can treat younger people anyhow and still get respect in the end. You earn respect and if you run around disrespecting others while giving absolutely no respect then why do you deserve respect? Being older just means you were born first. If you run around disrespecting people while demanding respect then what you deserve is ridicule.

How many times have i greeted many olders, they ignore me (which is really disrespectful), then have the cheek to come and complain and shout at me for not greeting them, yet I should still give this chump respect. I was buying something on the road and some elder I didnt know did that, but he actually slapped me, so I punched him in his face, and damn it felt good.

Another example: The left hand thing

You know I still havent got a reasonable answer for as long as I've been on this planet. From when I was like 5 years old I always asked the elders why the left hand is so wrong and they just say that its tradition, but obviously that there are aspects of tradition that have its reasons and roots, but nobody here seems to know it, young or old.
Yet, you get people who are prepared to fight me if I offer them something with my left hand (sometimes when I'm even carrying something heavy with my right), when I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Some people are left handed, so dont these idiots consider the fac that they might actually be insulting that person by refusing to take to him because he pulled out his left hand? NO, because they dont think. Ignorance to the fullest. And you get parents who beat their kids because of it? WHY

From when people in this country are so touchy and even do extreme things about some stupid tradition of which they dont even know the real meaning behind then there is a serious problem.

Okay, some people have told me that its the ''bad hand''. Okay, why is it bad?, People who are right handed do more bad things with their right hands, so, why is the left hand evil again? when its virtually neglected on many occasions?

you're religious, right? So why would God create a bad hand for us, so did God create something that is evil on our bodies? THINK!!!

And why is organized religion considered NIGERIAN CULTURE? Where did it orignally come from?

Think, thats all I'm sayin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Cultural Usances Are Predicated On Ignorance by ChinenyeN(m): 4:14pm On Feb 10, 2009
. . .  cheesy cheesy cheesy Nice Rant.

(1) (Reply)

True Friends. / Help On The Meaning Of These Names / Is 'rape Least Reported Crime In Nigeria'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.