Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,859 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

What Is Dowry? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Dowry? (1680 Views)

Very Good Question About Dowry And Traditional Marriage List In This Recession / Should I Tell Her How Much I Paid As Her Dowry / Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Dowry? by charlesucheh(m): 11:10pm On May 17, 2015
It has become a norm for people to use the word dowry in place of bride price; Both are totally different from each other. Bride price is a symbolic payment made by the about to be husband to the grooms family, It is also payed in different form in relation to cultural demands. e.g cattles are means of paying bride prices in Kenya so does it differ in other traditions. While Dowry refers to items which the groom carries from her parent's house to her husbands place of resident. But seldom, people see both( bride price and dowry) as thesame which is wrong. Check!!!
Re: What Is Dowry? by Fulaman198(m): 11:20pm On May 17, 2015
Dowries vary from ethnic group to ethnic group and from culture to culture. There are ethnic groups in Nigeria that use Cattle as well during their Dowry (many Mbororo'en Fulani groups pay with Cattle, after all Jawdi nagge).

Some cultures pay dowry by money, others with food and animals, it varies.
Re: What Is Dowry? by todayguest(m): 8:54pm On May 19, 2015
Kindly re-read what you wrote up there and make the necessary corrections.
Re: What Is Dowry? by charlesucheh(m): 9:12pm On May 22, 2015
Fulaman198:
Dowries vary from ethnic group to ethnic group and from culture to culture. There are ethnic groups in Nigeria that use Cattle as well during their Dowry (many Mbororo'en Fulani groups pay with Cattle, after all Jawdi nagge).

Some cultures pay dowry by money, others with food and animals, it varies.
See the meaning of dowry first, it seems you didn't read my post. Dowry isn't what you pay.
Re: What Is Dowry? by charlesucheh(m): 9:20pm On May 22, 2015
todayguest:
Kindly re-read what you wrote up there and make the necessary corrections.
thanks, just did.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Women Dancing At A Night Club In Lagos Back In 1967 / Check Out House In Tinubu Area Of Lagos Wia Slaves Were Tortured In 18th Century / I Want To Learn Isoko Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.