Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,062 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI (710 Views)

Emergency Powers Bill: LCCI, MAN, NLC, Others Back Buhari’s Proposals / $15b Deals: I’m Ready For Trial, Says Ex-nsa Dasuki / Nigeria Spends N4.62 Trillion On Security In 5 Years, Yet Widespread Insecurity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:15am On May 18, 2015
Nigeria, the sixth largest oil producing country in the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), spends an estimated $15billion yearly on the importation of petroleum products, the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) has lamented.

Its Director-General, Mr. Muda Yusuf, who spoke in Lagos, has urged the incoming government to halt this huge drain on the nation’s foreign exchange, adding that way forward is to revamp the ailing refineries and encourage private sector participation in downstream oil sector.

He said: “Going forward, we need to fix the refineries or incentivise the private sector to play this role he added. The biggest burden on the treasury of government is the importation of petroleum products and the inherent transparency issues.

“The biggest platform for corruption in the economy today is the management of subsidy on petroleum products. The pressure it exerts on the government treasury is enormous. An accelerated reform of the oil and gas sector and the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) will mitigate the challenge the subsidy management poses for government finance. This will also facilitate the restructuring and diversification of the economy.”

On budget structure, he stressed the scrutinisation of several budget heads to ensure cost-effectiveness and better transparency in the management of public finance.

The LCCI boss listed Consolidated Revenue Fund Charges, Service Wide Vote, Presidential Amnesty Programmes, Capital Supplementation and Debt Service as some of the sub-heads to be revisited.

“All these budget heads have substantial amounts voted for them in the budget annually. Some of the provisions do not reflect the desired prudence in the management of public funds, adding that huge savings will be made if proper scrutiny of budget heads is made,” he said.

Source:http://nairausd..com/2015/05/nigeria-spends-15b-on-fuel-import.html

Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by Nobody: 9:19am On May 18, 2015
Hmmm... I don tire for Nigeria matter.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:20am On May 18, 2015
jcmaiah:
Hmmm

Are yousurprised.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by omenka(m): 9:25am On May 18, 2015
The question I keep asking is: what caused the astronomical rise in subsidy payments under Jonathan's administration.

Under Yaradua and Obj, we NEVER paid more than N480billion, first year after Jonathan was sworn in as substantive president, we were coasting nearly N2trillion!!

Was there any corresponding rise in consumption of petroleum products under the period??

This is the question every enlightened Nigerian should be asking.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:27am On May 18, 2015
omenka:
The question I keep asking is: what caused the astronomical rise in subsidy payments under Jonathan's administration.

Under Yaradua and Obj, we NEVER paid more than N480billion, first year after Jonathan was sworn in as substantive president, we were coasting nearly N2trillion!!

Was there any corresponding rise in consumption of petroleum products under the period??

With this l agree with you.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by Nobody: 9:29am On May 18, 2015
ifyan:

Are yousurprised.
I am confused as to why our leaders are this senseless!
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:31am On May 18, 2015
My bro its not today it start.

Welcome to Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by Arbiola(f): 9:32am On May 18, 2015
Mumu country
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:34am On May 18, 2015
omenka:

That's no rocket science. One word easily comes to mind: FRAUD. grin
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:36am On May 18, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

That's no rocket science. One word easily comes to mind: FRAUD. grin

Souid l say supported or seconded.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:37am On May 18, 2015
Arbiola:
Mumu country

Hey mind your words.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by Arbiola(f): 9:44am On May 18, 2015
ifyan:

Hey mind your words.
Mttcheww,are u Nigeria? Mumu country.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by Nokiae5: 9:49am On May 18, 2015
i nor even know say we dey import fuel. Nairaland thank you.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 9:52am On May 18, 2015
Nokiae5:
i nor even know say we dey import fuel. Nairaland thank you.

Are you dreaming?

Seriously tell me you are joking
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by oduastates: 9:56am On May 18, 2015
$11 billion
Ask Jonathan,Deizani and iweala
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 10:01am On May 18, 2015
oduastates:
$11 billion
Ask Jonathan,Deizani and iweala

It didn't start from them mind you.

l believe you know.
Re: Nigeria Spends $15b On Fuel Import Yearly, Says LCCI by ifyan(m): 11:12am On May 18, 2015
Nigeria Mtchewwwww

(1) (Reply)

Several Injured In Saudi Mosque Suicide Bombing(pictured) / Post A Single Promise U Would Like Pmb 2 Fulfil 1st.the Day Is Finally Here!. / Can We Say There Is Stable Power Supply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.