Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Blaming It On The Devil - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Blaming It On The Devil (2541 Views)

Nigerians Stop Blaming The Government Become Your Own Government / Stop Blaming White People / Devil's Bean Plant - Werepe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 10, 2009
You all know Lucifer! Satan, Devil. He comes in when dark is concerned. Every negative act is attributed to him. Even acts that Re conceived in our mind.

Tell me, when did we acquire the culture of blaming it on the devil? What consequences has it brought upon us? Is this weapon backfiring us?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by ChinenyeN(m): 10:42pm On Feb 10, 2009
This is one thing that annoys me. I can't stand it. Especially when it is said as, "the Devil is a liar", or "it is the work of the Devil"/"Devil's handwork". I feel that people are overusing (or have overused) the phrase, and and also use it when it isn't necessary/when it doesn't fit. It just annoys me. I can tolerate it as an expression, but when people say it, and over say it, and be very literal about it, I just tend to ignore them until they are done ranting.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by jamace(m): 9:44am On Feb 11, 2009
I don't know what to comment about this thread. I think it is the work of the devil grin.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by RichyBlacK(m): 9:50am On Feb 11, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, the Devil has zero power! He can deceive, lie, tempt, etc., but he cannot make me do what I don't want to do. Hence, the Devil is an irrelevant nuisance.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:05pm On Feb 11, 2009
See Olodo full here O!,many many Fish!!,How can you just sleep and wake_up blaming Satan or whatever name you describe to be responsible??,dont be decieved for i think if you practice to being yourself,be original and never immitate!!.Obviously speaking you are just jumping around the bush,You blame Satan for what?? angry .,anything is Satan without proper clerification,i dont want to know how im sounding now but im saying,STOP!!!!!!,blaming satan for any mistake or sin commited.

it has come to my deepest notice how you guyz have poor knowledge about the whole thing,Satan is real and would not appriciate it if you accuse im falsely if he doesn't search for you.,apply wisdom on post like this for this may be a civilized debate and may also be dangerous!

OshiozĂ–_Gitzo,
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by temi4rea(f): 5:46pm On Feb 11, 2009
OMO IBO:

for some time now, ive sort of learnt that 'binding the devil', casting satan to the lake of fire that burns with brimstone' etc etc isnt really necessary.

ignoring the so called devil/satan is all we need to do but blaming the devil for stealing, fukcing a married man/woman etc etc is hog wash.

we are responsible for the actions we knowingly commit.

Exactly smiley
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by jamace(m): 6:34pm On Feb 11, 2009
This topic reminds me of one incident that happened. A man went and shagged another man's wife and was caught red handed. The funny aspect was that the man presented his screwdriver to the husband of the woman to cut it claiming that was the devil that led him to commit the offence grin grin grin.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by toshmann(m): 7:23pm On Feb 11, 2009
michelin89:

You all know Lucifer! Satan, Devil. He comes in when dark is concerned. Every negative act is attributed to him. Even acts that Re conceived in our mind.

Tell me, when did we acquire the culture of blaming it on the devil? What consequences has it brought upon us? Is this weapon backfiring us?

well, we gotta blame somebody undecided
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 11, 2009
toshmann:

well, we gotta blame somebody undecided

How about blaming yourself?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by toshmann(m): 8:41pm On Feb 11, 2009
why? angry
when the devil is there to take the blame. what is he being paid for?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 11, 2009
toshmann:

why? angry
when the devil is there to take the blame. what is he being paid for?

So you have already paid him with your soul?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by toshmann(m): 9:04pm On Feb 11, 2009
no, he has been paid by higher forces. he has been given hell fire as his kingdom. he has all evil spirits backing him fully. all the mammywaters voted for him,

so what does he give back to society? he has been a recipient all these while, ordinary taking the blame for some vices , is that a hard thing to do?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by spoilt(f): 1:22am On Feb 12, 2009
When I go on a shoppping spree and later get buyers remorse i blame the devil. grin
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by JustGood(m): 2:32pm On Feb 12, 2009
I blame the devil for ugly women
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by preselect(m): 5:28pm On Feb 12, 2009
i cant blame myself for everything. if u dont want me to blame the devil then you can provide someone i can blame. . . . not me.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 5:30pm On Feb 12, 2009
pres-elect:

i cant blame myself for everything. if u dont want me to blame the devil then you can provide someone i can blame. . . . not me.

What happened to being responsible? It's not just about having a house and driving a car, you know.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by preselect(m): 5:31pm On Feb 12, 2009
well, i have to blame somebody as toshmann said. not me. hoha
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by ChinenyeN(m): 7:58pm On Feb 12, 2009
michelin89:

What happened to being responsible? It's not just about having a house and driving a car, you know.
I believe that the majority of the things that happen to us are as a result of luck/fortune/misfortune/bad luck. There is no way for us to take responsibility over things we have no control over. So why can't we blame the Devil/Misfortune/Bad Luck? What exactly do you want us to blame, ourselves?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by blackspade(m): 8:04pm On Feb 12, 2009
@ this whole thread

Re: Blaming It On The Devil by jamace(m): 6:26am On Feb 14, 2009
Hurray! Today is Valentine day. I am wondering how many will accuse the devil at the end of Valentine grin. The devil will get trailer load of blames at the end of today grin grin.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 14, 2009
ChinenyeN:

I believe that the [b]majority [/b]of the things that happen to us are as a result of luck/fortune/misfortune/bad luck. There is no way for us to take responsibility over things we have no control over. So why can't we blame the Devil/Misfortune/Bad Luck? What exactly do you want us to blame, ourselves?

are you sure?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03pm On Feb 14, 2009
michelin89:

are you sure?
Michelin89, can you honestly say that we have control over half the things that happen in our lives? Can you honestly say that we can account for over half of the things that happen to us in our lives? I doubt it. The lives we live are lives in reaction to something that's already been set in motion. We are not acting upon anything. Rather we are reacting. We live lives of reaction. From the most minute thing to the most devastating of calamities, we live a life of reaction. There are forces and activities outside of our control (i.e. Other human beings, just to name one out of many). One person can not logically take full responsibility over his or her life. There are other forces at work to blame than one's self.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 14, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Michelin89, can you honestly say that we have control over half the things that happen in our lives? Can you honestly say that we can account for over half of the things that happen to us in our lives? I doubt it. The lives we live are lives in reaction to something that's already been set in motion. We are not acting upon anything. Rather we are reacting. We live lives of reaction. From the most minute thing to the most devastating of calamities, we live a life of reaction. There are forces and activities outside of our control (i.e. Other human beings, just to name one out of many). One person can not logically take full responsibility over his or her life. There are other forces at work to blame than one's self.

We must not shake the world before we realize we have done something. Sometimes we do certain things and we think: what I am doing is just too little to have great consequences. But that's not true. And when the worse happens, we are marvelled. We can't explain how it happened and then we start looking for someone to blame.

When you say there are things we have no control over, are you referring to natural calamities like a tsunami, an earthquake, an eruption? Let me ask you, didn't you know there was an ocean where you lived? Didn't you study the geography of the place where you decided to build your house to know if it was at risk of an earthquake? Didn't you notice the high mountain that blows out vapor from time to time? I bet you didn't.

That is nature and I have no control over nature you'd say. But it isn't enough reason. You can hear, see, touch and smell. These senses weren't given to you for giving sake. They are there for your self-preservation and when i see those people who were victims of earthquakes, or eruptions or whatever else, i don't feel pity because they knew where they were and have only got themselves to blame.

That of blaming other forces is just a ridiculous attempt to play blind to your mistakes and I don't care who you blame because that won't change the fact the it's your fault.

Knowing or not knowing won't save you.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by spikedcylinder: 7:46pm On Feb 14, 2009
After this valentine season now, people will blame the devil for many belles that arise. cheesy
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by ChinenyeN(m): 8:57pm On Feb 14, 2009
Michelin89, did you just so happen to miss where I said that we live lives of reaction? Consider that the majority of our decisions are not unprovoked. Also, making decisions based off the severity risks (or how severe we believe the risks are), are reactions towards the existence of those risks. Human beings take risks all the time. Human beings make decisions based off current risks. It is only those decisions that we make that we are accountable for. We are not responsible of what results of those decisions, yet we pay the price for them (if they turn out bad) and we reap the benefits of them (if they turn out good). We cannot be responsible for what results (or what can likely result) of the decisions we make, because we have no control over those results. The only thing we did was to catalyze them. Do you see what I'm saying?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 14, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Michelin89, did you just so happen to miss where I said that we live lives of reaction? Consider that the majority of our decisions are not unprovoked. Also, making decisions based off the severity risks (or how severe we believe the risks are), are reactions towards the existence of those risks. Human beings take risks all the time. Human beings make decisions based off current risks. It is only those decisions that we make that we are accountable for. We are not responsible of what results of those decisions, yet we pay the price for them (if they turn out bad) and we reap the benefits of them (if they turn out good). We cannot be responsible for what results (or what can likely result) of the decisions we make, because we have no control over those results. The only thing we did was to catalyze them. Do you see what I'm saying?

I didn't miss the reaction part. Concentrate on the word is not a passive verb. We are not just absorbing everything that is being thrown at us from whatever force. We are reacting. Just like you said. So I don't see why we can't just take responsibilities of the way we react?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by ChinenyeN(m): 11:06pm On Feb 14, 2009
Okay. I see that you understand, but not thoroughly. Here's where you don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

michelin89:

We are reacting. Just like you said. So I don't see why we can't just take responsibilities of the way we react?
It seems that you fail to see that the reactions are also the decisions people make.

Now, with that in mind, I am in agreement with you that we should take responsibility for how we react (the decisions that we make), and people, for the most part, do take responsibilty for how they react (the decisions that they make). But I do not agree that people should take responsibility for forces that they have no control over. The decisions (reactions) are different from the forces that provoke them, as well as the forces that alter the results of those decisions (reactions). Does that make sense now?
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by regaltopax(m): 10:23am On Feb 15, 2009
i agree with Jamace I don't know what to comment about this thread. I think it is the work of the devil
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by jamace(m): 7:48pm On Feb 15, 2009
i agree with Jamace I don't know what to comment about this thread. I think it is the work of the devil
Thanks jare. grin grin
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:47am On Feb 16, 2009
I love Devil!!,never mess_up with him by blaming him on the knowingly sins you commited!,i have sold my soul to him angry

Hailz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OshietzĂ–_giezo
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by jamace(m): 8:01pm On Feb 18, 2009
Breaking news. Our amiable member, Earthmama is missing. Last read her post on NL since 10 February 2009. This must be the handwork of the devil cheesy grin.
Re: Blaming It On The Devil by ChinenyeN(m): 9:25pm On Feb 18, 2009
I completely forgot about this topic. . .
Michelin89, don't you have anything more to say or add?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can One Be Truly Nigerian If They Can't Speak Pidgin / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite / Honorifics In Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.