Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,009 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (CBS) Episode 3 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (CBS) Episode 3 (513 Views)

The Bond That Can Never Be Broken / The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (#CBS) Episode 5 / The Broken Oath - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (CBS) Episode 3 by barcaboi(m): 12:01am On May 19, 2015
The Storyteller
Creativity is inborn. There’s no special training to be a genius; it grows on us. At least, that’s what Rahman thought. He just finished his early morning prayers and was reflecting over his life. He walked over to his collection of books and items he had written; poems, stories and a movie script.
All I need is a major break, he mused. Making a living has become so hard that he had done ‘unusual’ jobs he knew little about; barman, event usher. Anything to put food on his table. It requires something special to make a name like Wole Soyinka, Achiebe and others; he reasoned. He knew he had it in him. He was still living with his parents at age 31 and that bothered him more. His girlfriend; or rather ex-girlfriend, had complained a lot about that but he just could not afford it. He knew he needed his freedom and privacy and even start a family of his own. He sighed with frustration and feeling idle, he switched on his television to listen to the network news.
….a drug baron has just been arrested in Mexico. Reports confirm that he’s been wanted for close to 10 years……

Rahman listened with rapt attention. Some waves of inspiration was flowing into his brain as the reporter talked. He stood, picked his old laptop and went to the only place he goes when he had inspirations like this; the toilet. The only place he knew nobody would come disturb him; where he always found solace. He had a good feeling about what he wanted to put down; a good vibe that he had never felt before. I pray this brings me food, Insha Allah; he prayed silently. Little did he know his book would bring more than that. The book was about to change his life in ways he would never have imagined.
Rahman worked tirelessly on his new story; The drug mogul, using the Internet and newspapers to his advantage. It took eight long months to accomplish it. He faced a lot of attack for isolating himself often; even from his parents.
‘Why will you lock yourself up all day in the toilet’, his mum once said.
‘Maybe he’s on drugs or marijuana’, his father replied not taking his eyes off the newspaper he was reading. Rahman had smiled at how close they were. At least I’m writing on drugs, he thought but kept it to himself.
‘You’ve even grown lean’, his mum said looking suspiciously at him. ‘if police arrest you; Allah knows I’ll disown you’, his father said and left the sitting room.
‘Mum, I’m not doing anything bad’, Rahman pleaded, ‘I’m working on something’.
‘I don hear o’, and she took her leave. Even his brothers and sister in other states tried talking to him on the phone.
But he worked on and he relaxed only after concluding the novel. He talked to many publishers who wanted to cheat him but he kept his card close to his chest. His friend who was a lawyer helped him broker deals that did not sound appealing. He was already getting discouraged after some months when fortune smiled at him.
He opened a blog to advertise himself and a popular publisher read one of his writeups and contacted him. His lawyer and friend negotiated the deal which was shared reasonably and The drug mogul was on its way to being the best selling book and most talked about book that year.
Rahman’s dream was coming true and he felt on top of the world. He got some endorsements and before long he got his own apartment. His parent could not have been more proud of their son.
His ex-girlfriends tried getting back into his life; even longlost friends. See these vultures, he smiled, dem wan chop my money. His phone rang just then.
‘Hello, please am I speaking to Mr Rahman Abubakar’, a pleasant female voice said.
‘Yes please’, he replied, wondering who it was.
‘This is DG media groups and we want to discuss making your book into a movie’, she informed him.
He was stunned and was speechless for minutes. With joy radiating through him, he collected the company’s details and contacted his lawyer.
‘Ol’ boy, you don hammer‘, his lawyer and friend, Tolu said happily on the phone.
‘Thanks for standing by me’, Rahman said.
‘Who wouldn’t?’, Tolu replied, ‘you’re a genius’.
‘You dey whine me’, he said and they both laughed. They talked some more and fixed a time to meet with the media company.
I’m living my dream, Rahman thought happily. It felt good enjoying the fruits of his sweat. He sat down to read the introduction to his book

The drug mogul: a story filled with crime, kidnap, murder, set up, suspense and lots more centred around a drug baron that would do anything to keep his legacy secret………

The movie was produced and gained a lot of reviews. More awards came in fast and before long Rahman had his own house and car. He felt on top of the world.
Unknown to him, someone watched his movie and got pissed; really pissed. A copy of The drug mogul was in front of the man. His eyes blazed with rage………

Watch Out for the story proper; how the 3 people had their lives changed forever……

Twitter: @yopeolu www.realyans./2014/10/01/the-convict-the-broken-and-the-storyteller-links-to-the-part/
Re: The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (CBS) Episode 3 by abimbawealth(f): 12:52am On May 19, 2015
Zoom you

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Episode 11: Chronicles Of Isioma / 5 Idioms And Their Fascinating Origins / Fortitude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.