Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (#CBS) Episode 5 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (#CBS) Episode 5 (597 Views)

The Bond That Can Never Be Broken / The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (CBS) Episode 3 / The Broken Oath - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Convict, The Broken And The Storyteller (#CBS) Episode 5 by barcaboi(m): 10:30pm On May 22, 2015
Tobi took a sip from the bottle of gin in his hand. He needed a strong drink for what he was about to do. I for like vodka but that one no be poor man drink na; he reasoned with a smile lighting up his face for the first time in months. He touched the barrel of the pistol underneath his cloth. Ghost had given him a little tutorial on how to use it. He needed to get it right and return it to him in one piece. Random thoughts went through his mind. At a point he wished he was a sniper. He smiled again. The smile was off his face immediately he saw the person behind his travails. It was replaced by something unfamiliar; something darker.
Cynthia was talking with someone outside the company’s office. Tobi moved out of hiding and walked casually towards them. He was putting on a hoodie so he felt confident of not being recognised. He could feel the rising of his heartbeat with each breath he took. All thoughts were shut out; just one emotion – Anger. He reached for the gun as he got closer but something stopped him. He was within earshot so he picked their conversation; which sounded more like an argument or threat.
‘….dare not. If you tell anyone I kept the files with you, I swear you’ll lose your job. We’re in this together….’, Cynthia threatened the man, ‘You have his job now so act smart’.
Tobi recognised the man. So Olu wanted my job all along, he thought bitterly. He wanted to put both of them six feet under the floor but walked pass them instead. Cynthia thought there was something familiar with the wretched-looking man that walked pass but she faced Olu instead with venom still in her blood.
‘Be smart or end up like Tobi’, she said with ice and walked back into the office. Tobi heard the last word but he had other plans. Death is too good for you both, he mused, I’ll bring you to your knees stealthily. He walked away.

A text message tone woke Rahman from his quick nap. He was awake almost throughout the night.
‘These people no go allow person rest jeje’, he grumbled bitterly. The disadvantages of being famous. He staggered to his toilet to ease himself and rinse his face. It was just 6:00am. He shook his head. ‘Nawa o’, he said to nobody in particular. He wanted to ignore the text but something told him to do so which he did.

Where did you get the information?
We are coming for you and your source. GHOST

Na even wrong number, he hissed. He wondered why people fail to write down the right numbers. Since there was still time, he decided to get some sleep. His phone rang just then.
‘Hello’, he said. There was silence on the other side. He ended the call after some minutes. He noticed it was a private number so he could not call back. Network problem probably, he reasoned. He was already asleep when his phone rang.
‘Hello’, he said hiding his frustration. Silence again greeted him, ‘who is this?’. Silence again.
It went on for five more times. A bad feeling niggled at his mind.
He was exasperated when his phone rang again.
‘Hello’, he barked, obviously frustrated now.
‘Rahman; na Tolu’, his lawyer said shocked at his friend’s tone.
‘Tolu, na you dey call me since?’, Rahman asked; breathing slowly to ease the frustration.
‘Your number no go joor’, Tolu said, ‘wetin happen’.
‘Probably network’, Rahman said, ‘maybe it was yours all along’.
‘Oh ok’, His friend replied, ‘I’ll be there around 10 to pick you’.
‘Let me get some sleep then’, Rahman said and was asleep within minutes; after switching his phone off.

Ghost tried the number again but found it was switched off. He smiled. Baba don say make I play with you small before killing you, he thought with a smile. He loves toying with his victims before killing them. He sipped his beer and laughed wickedly. You don enter one chance, he soliloquized. He wondered where Tobi was and suspected it was a botched job already. He shook his head.

Oge was reading a novel a friend recommended. He loved the suspense, the action packed story of the drug mogul. He felt like he was watching a movie. He called his friend.
‘Tunmise, that book mad’, he enthused.
‘I told you’, Tunmise said smiling, ‘my wife recommended it to me too’.
‘I hope he doesn’t step on toes’, Oge said offhand.
‘Rahman Abubakar abi?’, his friend asked.
‘Yep’, Oge replied, ‘too real’.
‘It is’, Tunmise laughed, ‘how you dey?’.
They talked some more and promised to hook up after the weekend. Oge had his weekend planned already. Mama is gonna love this book too, he reasoned, at least it’ll keep her off my matter for a while. He laughed at the thought. His secretary came in just then.
‘Habeebat you need to read this book’, he said with enthusiasm.
‘I have a copy too’, she said smiling. They talked a little about the book and then faced business; sorting files. He wanted to finish everything so he would not be bothered during the weekend.

www.realyans./2014/10/01/the-convict-the-broken-and-the-storyteller-links-to-the-part/

(1) (Reply)

It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] / Home Of Poems And Fictions / Seven Leadership Principles To Learn From An Eagle As You Enter 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.