Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,127 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:02 AM

My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones (18516 Views)

Free Flow Of Yuan In Nigerian Banks - What You Need To Know / Four Nigerian Banks Among World’s Top 500 / Four Nigerian Banks Among Top 500 Global Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by colossus2: 10:54am On May 20, 2015
davic00:
Hi Contract Staff collects over 100k per month
Central bank or World bank?
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Willie2015: 10:55am On May 20, 2015
CecyAdrian:

Seriously,must you comment
a banker should try to get additional source of income? During what time if I may ask??
With the little time they have to rest their tired bones 4rm their "dawn to dusk" work or when?
Bankers are not lazy, and they might depend on solely only their employer 4 dia income, because that is what the have the time doing. The banking environment doesn't give you time to do any other thing. Excerpt your are a manager or top executive

You don't sit down and wait for only your salary. Don't deceive yourself that you don't have time, you leverage on trusted people and know your environment. The truth is that you will leave the Bank one day (either you get sacked or you resigned), you will still face the same hard reality.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by DanielPop(m): 10:57am On May 20, 2015
bayulll01:

Under gej common sense is not common,so as gej leave office on 29th I expect u to also re-install sense into your brain,like seriously you want a graduate with no capital to create and start his own business,like seriously are you for real

...you sound lazy! Anyway, not your fault perhaps? I suggest you leave the "Creativity section" and queue under the "employ me" section. Na advise o!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by MicroBox: 11:00am On May 20, 2015
ND IT student earn more than 30k in Jigawa state capital Dutse as an industrial attache in one of those bank.. so bros get your facts correct.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by DanielPop(m): 11:05am On May 20, 2015
colossus2:

You are what is wrong with the world. Enough said.

Oh so you want to employ underqualified Nigerians and pay them as professionals abi? Change your thought process. All you know on this topic is a lie!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 11:06am On May 20, 2015
bayulll01:

Lol funny very funny,oyaa ooo all the graduate in the house start butchering meat and selling,or you get Van so u can drive anywhere you go,oga those one you mentions are unskilled job,a graduate in chemical engineering or biochemistry will curse you,why did he waste all the years in the university,he should av start selling meat since he left high school or he should av start driving van since junior high school,I quite understand your ranting on being entrepreneurial or creating business,but not for graduate woo u won't understand guess you are the few fortunate one to get job after nysc

The truth is that majority of you always use the status and word " graduate " to deceive yourselves . No one wants to get dirty to get money , instead everyone want to start from fully air conditioned office . As much as it is not a bad thing to aspire for white collar job positions, but we should not negate the fact that not everyone will have that opportunity to work in such position . More so , from experience , the real deal is at the field work not inside office . 90% of junior office workers world all over are not always better off financially than their filed work ( blue collar ) counterparts .

For instance , almost every novice of a graduate you approach want to work in the oil industry , yet the forget to know that majority of the oil industry workforce work at the field , which means the first get dirty before the big pay . So , if this is the case , what funny in a graduate working or owning an abattoir business ?

Paper based graduates without intellect productive knowledge are no better than any unskilled person out there .People are not paid for what they know rather people are paid for what they do with what they know .

My submission here however does not justify high margin revenue earning companies paying peanuts as salaries to their productive workforce , no .

2 Likes

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by bayulll01(m): 11:10am On May 20, 2015
DanielPop:

...you sound lazy! Anyway, not your fault perhaps? I suggest you leave the "Creativity section" and queue under the "employ me" section. Na advise o!

Pathetic wonder how you people use your brain,if you have done simple economics in school or pay attention you will understand division of labor,we are discussing the crude on how these people used and treat their staff you are here ranting lazy,I bet your mama still feed you at home oponu aiyerada
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by DanielPop(m): 11:14am On May 20, 2015
bayulll01:

Pathetic wonder how you people use your brain,if you have done simple economics in school or pay attention you will understand division of labor,we are discussing the crude on how these people used and treat their staff you are here ranting lazy,I bet your mama still feed you at home oponu aiyerada

There are times in life when, instead of complaining, you do something about your complaints.
Rita Dove

Note: Grow up!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Willie2015: 11:18am On May 20, 2015
bayulll01:

Lol funny very funny,oyaa ooo all the graduate in the house start butchering meat and selling,or you get Van so u can drive anywhere you go,oga those one you mentions are unskilled job,a graduate in chemical engineering or biochemistry will curse you,why did he waste all the years in the university,he should av start selling meat since he left high school or he should av start driving van since junior high school,I quite understand your ranting on being entrepreneurial or creating business,but not for graduate woo u won't understand guess you are the few fortunate one to get job after nysc

I am only giving you scenarios to show that you don't need much capital to start a business.
Whether unskilled or skilled, the bottom line is that you have an income that support your basic needs and can be used as a leverage to further opportunities. Your education as a graduate is to assist you to think and do things differently in a bad scenario.

If a skilled job comes along the way, then you can tap into it. It is wrong for a graduate to sit down for donkey years waiting for one formal job.
Bros,the basic truth is that formal jobs are scarce and the earlier pple adjust, the better.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by colossus2: 11:18am On May 20, 2015
DanielPop:

Oh so you want to employ underqualified Nigerians and pay them as professionals abi? Change your thought process. All you know on this topic is a lie!
You call them under-qualified nigerians?
That it takes an ND holder who has obtained a B.Sc about 5 years to get converted.
Thank your stars for the opportunity you have.

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 11:20am On May 20, 2015
Capitalism.

If those in business inform you of how key distributors and wholesalers have been converted to houseboys serving manufacturers, you will cry ?

Dangote, I take God beg you, reduce the price of cement.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 11:22am On May 20, 2015
This is how it all starts (militancy, boko haram, human trafficking, fraud, armed robbery, willing prostitution abroad), we all got pushed to the wall and we had no choice, then we tasted the forbidden fruit and said to hell with caution. where we are now(Nigeria youths) is as a results of terrible decisions they took in the past. we must get right at some point else we all headed to a catastrophic end. GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by bayulll01(m): 11:24am On May 20, 2015
Willie2015:

I am only giving you scenarios to show that you don't need much capital to start a business.
Whether unskilled or skilled, the bottom line is that you have an income that support your basic needs and can be used as a leverage to further opportunities. Your education as a graduate is to assist you to think and do things differently in a bad scenario.

If a skilled job comes along the way, then you can tap into it. It is wrong for a graduate to sit down for donkey years waiting for one formal job.
Bros,the basic truth is that formal jobs are scarce and the earlier pple adjust, the better.

Now u are making lot of sense,I get ur point,so u think many of those graduate earning 20k if they see a van they won't slap their head operations and resign lol,and for that meat seller he will add vibes to his business,good refrigerators,package environment,good shops nice locations,van to distribute oga when will some get enough cash to start knowing fully he's salary was 20k
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by socialmediaman: 11:26am On May 20, 2015
Yeah now you're making real sense. But then you wonder; what's the point of getting a degree if yiu have to end up working with your school certificate or ND?

paparazzi1987:

Don't mis interpret my comment sir.
I have friends here that works as contract staff but most of them al agreed that they do not present there bsc certificate before they get the job .even when some of them try to present there bsc certificates,HR advices them not to include there bsc degree and cert in there profile cos the jobs are for ond,nce,intern and co. And not for BSc.
The entry level for bsc holder is graduate trainee.
moreover, not all marketers are contract staff, there are lots of Graduate trainee in marketing as well
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Ephemmm: 11:29am On May 20, 2015
cramjones:

O
Do you work in a bank? Or do you just feel like talking?

-CramJones

CramJones! there is hardly any bank that didn't pay more than 120k for entry level: the bone of contention is 'outsourcing' of staff which has become the order of the day nearly in every sector of the economy. I know more about this and be assured that you are having first hand information here. Tellers, Secretaries, Executive Assistants, Transaction Officers, IT Staff, Customers Service Officers etc were the ones that are languishing in this 'pool of hopelessness' and nobody cares.

This is what the Management of banks have tried in some sisters companies like Ghana, South Africa etc but was vehemently rejected by their Labour Union: I wonder how our own Labour Union has turned into toothless dog that can bark but cannot bite. May be because it has not reached their children's turn, but one thing I believe is that their children too shall soon be partakers in this 'slavery' as God liveth.

Though the essence of outsourcing is to transfer business functions to expert so that such organization can concentrates on its core business activities, it is incredible that this is not the case in Nigeria: the essence of outsourcing in Nigeria is to deprive such staff any other benefits like promotions, growth and developments, on the job trainings, more authorities and responsibilities, e t c

Worst still, this menace has been inculcated in the multinational organizations including KPMG, Pricewater, telecommunications and oil companies.

From my observation and conviction, CEOs, MDs, GMs of the banks turned graduates into slavery indirectly by establishing outsourcing companies outside the banks whereas they are indirectly the shareholders in such companies. They are making use of rampant unemployment opportunities in Nigeria and profited in slavery they have turned many destinies into.

Integrated Corporate Services Ltd at Obanikoro(ICSL), Michael Stevens outsourcing company at Alaka EState in Surulere(MS), Resource Intermediary Ltd (Odeku Street VI), are example in Lagos just to mention a few. for more, click on

http://www.businesslist.com.ng/category/hr-outsourcing
http://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Business_Services/Outsourcing.html

May God save us in this country.

1 Like

Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by DanielPop(m): 11:39am On May 20, 2015
colossus2:

You call them under-qualified nigerians?
That it takes an ND holder who has obtained a B.Sc about 5 years to get converted.
Thank your stars for the opportunity you have.

Listen, if you can - I was privileged to listen in on an interview process once and i make bold to say a lot of Nigerian graduates carrying 2.1 or whatever are under qualified. Not one was good enough to be given the position and there were more than 50 interviewed for that position. The best qualified of them all could not define "cost Accounting" and the position was for a cost accountant! So i advise again, if you get a job and agree to the terms, keep to your job schedule! Or walk! Complaints wont help you and gives you a bad image within the industry! If you want better terms, close your mouth, perform on the job, upgrade yourself and submit your resignation letter. They will call you to negotiate with you. NO ONE negotiates with a half baked graduate! Why would they do so when the next half baked graduate is ready to accept less pay for more work!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 11:55am On May 20, 2015
DanielPop:

Listen, if you can - I was privileged to listen in on an interview process once and i make bold to say a lot of Nigerian graduates carrying 2.1 or whatever are under qualified. Not one was good enough to be given the position and there were more than 50 interviewed for that position. The best qualified of them all could not define "cost Accounting" and the position was for a cost accountant! So i advise again, if you get a job and agree to the terms, keep to your job schedule! Or walk! Complaints wont help you and gives you a bad image within the industry! If you want better terms, close your mouth, perform on the job, upgrade yourself and submit your resignation letter. They will call you to negotiate with you. NO ONE negotiates with a half baked graduate! Why would they do so when the next half baked graduate is ready to accept less pay for more work!

Most of these unproductive empty heads doesn't want to accept the fact that 21st century business owners prefer efficient personnel over unproductive title bearers " graduate " . As far as I am concerned 95% of graduates from Nigeria tertiary institutions fall under my terminology " non intellect title bearers " .
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by DanielPop(m): 12:04pm On May 20, 2015
Empero1:

Most of these unproductive empty heads doesn't want to accept the fact that 21st century business owners prefer efficient personnel over unproductive title bearers " graduate " . As far as I am concerned 95% of graduates from Nigeria tertiary institutions fall under my terminology " non intellect title bearers " .

I tell people all the time to change their job if they don’t like it, and people tell me this is totally impractical advice. A lot of people write to me to say that my advice only applies to rich people. Or they tell me that single parents, families living salary to salary, people in debt, cannot use my advice. I think these people are in denial. Of course, there are exceptions, but usually these people are really saying that the things they have in their current standard of living are more important than being happy in their job. That’s fine. But don’t complain that the advice doesn’t apply to you. It does. You choose to have an expensive lifestyle instead. Remember, what you currently earn might be a function of what you bring to the table.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 20, 2015
Ephemmm:

CramJones! there is hardly any bank that didn't pay more than 120k for entry level: the bone of contention is 'outsourcing' of staff which has become the order of the day nearly in every sector of the economy. I know more about this and be assured that you are having first hand information here. Tellers, Secretaries, Executive Assistants, Transaction Officers, IT Staff, Customers Service Officers etc were the ones that are languishing in this 'pool of hopelessness' and nobody cares.

This is what the Management of banks have tried in some sisters companies like Ghana, South Africa etc but was vehemently rejected by their Labour Union: I wonder how our own Labour Union has turned into toothless dog that can bark but cannot bite. May be because it has not reached their children's turn, but one thing I believe is that their children too shall soon be partakers in this 'slavery' as God liveth.

Though the essence of outsourcing is to transfer business functions to expert so that such organization can concentrates on its core business activities, it is incredible that this is not the case in Nigeria: the essence of outsourcing in Nigeria is to deprive such staff any other benefits like promotions, growth and developments, on the job trainings, more authorities and responsibilities, e t c

Worst still, this menace has been inculcated in the multinational organizations including KPMG, Pricewater, telecommunications and oil companies.

From my observation and conviction, CEOs, MDs, GMs of the banks turned graduates into slavery indirectly by establishing outsourcing companies outside the banks whereas they are indirectly the shareholders in such companies. They are making use of rampant unemployment opportunities in Nigeria and profited in slavery they have turned many destinies into.

Integrated Corporate Services Ltd at Obanikoro(ICSL), Michael Stevens outsourcing company at Alaka EState in Surulere(MS), Resource Intermediary Ltd (Odeku Street VI), are example in Lagos just to mention a few. for more, click on

http://www.businesslist.com.ng/category/hr-outsourcing
http://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Business_Services/Outsourcing.html

May God save us in this country.
Thank you for spilling the truth.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 20, 2015
We have been deceived for too long that except you wear suit you are not working! Why enslave yourself for what cannot cover you transport when with N3,000 you can subscribe to a nigerian online platform that will pay you every 2 weeks for just refering people to subscribe as you have done. You will look unserious sitting at home chatting online but smiling to the bank every 2 weeks
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 20, 2015
Empero1:

It's don't and not doesn't. So much from a self acclaimed educated, envious mofo like your miserable self.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by colossus2: 12:36pm On May 20, 2015
Empero1:

Funny....lips sealed
Enjoy your life dude smiley
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by willibounce1(m): 12:39pm On May 20, 2015
DanielPop:

Be creative then. Go and start your own company and pay your workers fat salaries!

You can just shut the phuck up if you don't have anything reasonable to say.

Feeling like one smart guy. Goat
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by kushsy: 12:40pm On May 20, 2015
cramjones:

O
Do you work in a bank? Or do you just feel like talking?

-CramJones
He is right..if one is employed as a Mainline officer but as a contract or outsourced staff..the pay is peanuts no benefit whatsoever..even a slave is better than a contract staff in the bank
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by DanielPop(m): 12:44pm On May 20, 2015
willibounce1:

You can just shut the phuck up if you don't have anything reasonable to say.

Feeling like one smart guy. Goat

Your post qualifies you for a Webby! You wish! With such an attitude, no wonder you are "unemployable" I'd fire you in an instant!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by X2X(m): 1:08pm On May 20, 2015
cramjones:
I read about the pay scale of bankers in Nigeria with deep and utter sadness. I haven't been able to sleep since I read the stories on Nairaland, for I have been deeply disturbed. Prior to these articles, I erroneously thought that entry level bankers earn nothing less than 120k, but I was very wrong! My nephew is banker, but he keeps asking me to send him money. I joke about it, albeit ignorantly, not knowing his pay is that of a slave.

Fellow Nigerians, granted we have over 50 million unemployed youths, nevertheless should we accept to be slaves in our own country? What will a young man full of life and energy do with 24k/month or $110 per month. I can remember many times I have spent such an amount one night on a family dinner. This is not fair and must be stopped! We must task the incoming administration to review our labor laws. It is unacceptable for a graduate working in a multibillion dollar coporation as a banker to earn less than $4/day.

Instead of trekking from pillar to post, do something about it! I would like to urge all youths to use the power of social media and spread the word. We must start that way. I will do my part by telling the C-in-C to tackle this slave labor head on. Not just the banks, but we must have enforcable laws that all employers of labor must abide to. Little wonder why Kelechi and Kayode are doing drugs in Indonesia. Little wonder why Ifeoma, Kabiru and Femi are drowning in the mediterranean trying to cross to Europe. We must put an end to modern day slavery, wickedness and greed!

You have all taken the right step by revealing it. Now make it popular and we will work on the one-on-one side. This must stop!

-CramJones

CramJones, you are one of the few on here that have got their head screwed on. Like you, I am saddened by the situation of meager wages and job insecurity faced by young graduates, especially in the financial sector.

If we must task the incoming administration to review labour laws, we should be clear what the objective of such review is and what the result would be. We have a plethora of labour laws that are either not being enforced or are not enforceable. Nonetheless, I do not think it is sensible for the incoming administration to mandate a "minimum wage" for graduates in legislation. Any such legislation, if it is enforced, will almost certainly result in mass layoffs. Employers will massively cut down staff numbers in order to accommodate the minimum wage requirement for the few that are left. This is surely not your intention. I think a poor paying job is better than no job at all.

The root cause of the problem is the overwhelming unemployment level, such that some graduates are prepared to work even without pay. Let the government focus squarely on jobs. I do not propose that the government goes on an employment spree - that would be unsustainable. Let it create the enabling environment for private enterprise (power, security, transport links, etc.). Let it give businesses, especially in manufacturing, the incentives to invest/expand in our country - for example tax breaks. Let it make sure our schools are turning out graduates that can think, can innovate. Graduates that have the right skills to compete both locally and internationally.

Are you seriously suggesting to me that Kelechi is pushing drugs in Indonesia because of the banks in Nigeria pay fresh graduates 25k/month? I think not. Drug trafficking, and the other things you mention getting more and more prominent is a reflection of the progressive decay in our societal values, particularly the get-rich-quick-at-all-cost syndrome endemic in today's Nigerian youth, and an increasing disinclination to honest, hardwork.

Instead of trekking from pillar to post, yes, lets do something about it! Ranting on social media may be the easy option, but it is not the solution.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Ghost01(m): 1:13pm On May 20, 2015
Undoubtedly one of Cramjones' finest post, ever, on NL.

The slave labour's got to stop. We are in our own country for Chrissakes!

Those on contract shouldn't earn less than 80% of what their full-time counterparts earn. And they should be entitled to annual leave and leave bonuses, have provision made for their health insurance by the company (or the outsourcing coy/agent) as long as the employee is a staff there, and so on.

It's time we actualise that CHANGE!!!
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by oluezekiel(m): 1:42pm On May 20, 2015
colossus2:

Central bank or World bank?

Access Bank pay contact staff HND from 83k up to 120k, which is the maximum you can get as a contract staff and the minimum for HND is 83k. Not as bad as people are painting it .
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by agrovick(m): 1:43pm On May 20, 2015
ogorkojo:
No wonder those bankers in abraka always ask for change from customers. E nor good na. Man must survive anyway
Mhen, ur dp is doing a good job of convincing me I will enjoy my service year in Delta grin howdy?
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 20, 2015
agrovick:

Mhen, ur dp is doing a good job of convincing me I will enjoy my service year in Delta grin howdy?
cheesy am good jare. So u r serving in Delta? That's good to know.
Re: My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones by paparazzi1987(m): 1:51pm On May 20, 2015
Vek2015:

Your assertion is wrong. FirstBank pays its entry level less than 90k per month. You are free to verify it.

Bro this is a very big lie.take home for graduate trainee in fbn is 210. Dont ask where I get the figure..am a staff

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Biggest Consumer Markets In Nigeria: Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, PH - BI / Innocent Chukwuma Innoson Sues EFCC N200bn For ‘Defamation, Falsehood’ / Tony Elumelu Celebrates His 55th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.