Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,047 members, 7,835,537 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Success As An Independent Software Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Success As An Independent Software Developer (673 Views)

How To Spot A Bad Software Developer / Success As An Independent Software Developer / Mobile App Developer VS Web Developer VS Software Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Success As An Independent Software Developer by olumide04: 12:43pm On May 21, 2015

This tips are meant for emerging software developer who want to stand alone or planning to setup their own incorporation, this are my advice has 10years experience in software development, but i would like to drop this few lines maybe it will be of great value and guide line to somebody.

For software developers, the main advantages of corporate employment -- job security, a clear path for career advancement, retirement benefits, health insurance -- are rapidly disappearing. Yet the demand for programming skills and services has never been greater. It might just be prime time to pack up that cubicle and go independent.

Being an independent software developer can be a dream life. But dreams include nightmares, so it's best to be prepared.

Being your own boss, setting your own hours, working only on projects that interest you -- all while earning a lot more money -- are possible when you strike out on your own as an independent software developer.

1. Know why you're doing this

Before you write that letter of resignation, think about why you want to become an independent software developer. Do you want to work from home? Do you want to travel? Do you want more money, fewer hours, or both? What are your main motivations for making this change? Write them down somewhere because chances are all of your goals will not be met immediately. When things get tough, that list will remind you of why you are doing this, and that can make the difference between giving up and success.

Above all, understand and accept that "going independent" means "starting a business," and a business is very different from a job.

2. Plan before you quit

Going independent can give you greater say in the kind of work you do. And in the world of software, there are many possibilities; you don't have to do exactly what you do at your current job. Consulting, development, products, training, and other services are all viable paths to independence. Make a list of everything you can do, everything you'd like to do, and everything you might be interested in learning how to do. Having that list will help prepare you to recognize opportunities when they arise.

Similarly, make a list of all the ways you can find and attract clients. When you make the leap, you'll want to be in a position where you have more offers than you can accept.

3. Securing your first contract is key

The first contract can be the hardest, or the easiest. It is not uncommon for someone to resign as an employee then turn right around and contract with their former employer, doing exactly the same job as before, just with a different financial arrangement -- but it is not guaranteed. Another option is to contact a recruiting firm and have them find you a position that you like -- and make the terms of engagement corp-to-corp. This is how I started: I lost my "secure" job, and frankly, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I called a friendly recruiter when I got home and had my first independent gig two days later -- at almost twice the pay.

will continue tomorrow..

(1) (Reply)

Help Out Here Plss With This Question.. / Mark Zuckerberg Will Launch "Dislike" Button On Facebook Very Soon / ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.