Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

How To Spot A Bad Software Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Spot A Bad Software Developer (4041 Views)

How To Spot A Hacked App / Macjoe Umanah (macjoe23) Is A Bad Scammer Big Thief On Nairaland / Advances In AI Are Used To Spot Signs Of Sexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 25, 2017
When you meet a bad developer, they will frown at you if you use google as a reference when coding, these bad developers believe that a good software developer does not need to use google.

"A big reason to use Google is that it is hard to remember all those minor details and nuances especially when you are programming in multiple languages and using dozens of frameworks. As Einstein said:

“Never memorize something that you can look up.” - Albert Einstein"

Source: https://codeahoy.com/2016/04/30/do-experienced-programmers-use-google-frequently

Java alone has thousands of classes as listed below and this list was created 6 years ago, then multiply these by all the methods in them, any of these thousands of classes and methods can be used depending on the requirements. It is impossible for a good developer to have all these thousands of classes and methods at one's fingertips when developing an application.

If you are one of these software developers that don't use google I'll like to know how you develop good working applications without using google as reference.

4240 in java 8
4024 in java 7
3793 in java 6
3279 in java 5.0
2723 in java 1.4.2*
1840 in java 1.3.1*
source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3112882/how-many-classes-are-there-in-java-standard-edition

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 7:36pm On Jan 26, 2017
popular opinion, but b.s. I dont use google and i'm doing fine.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by orimion(m): 10:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
asalimpo:
he didnt call people that don't use google bad programmer, he said people who frown at using google. As for the matter of you not using google, I believe you have another source for quick reference (might be the documentation or even the source code) Trying to know everything offhand, I believe is a sign of a bad programmer

5 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Phourxx(m): 6:48am On Jan 27, 2017
asalimpo:

Are you sure?

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by AntiWailer: 10:02am On Jan 27, 2017
No serious programmer will not use google.

Except u are writing multiplication table .

You meet new challenges everyday and u need references online.

I am talking about challenges you have never come across before not how to use If Then Else.

.... and yes I am talking with over a decade experience In Programming and lead on several mission critical projects.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by abdulwahabO: 12:47pm On Jan 27, 2017
asalimpo:

four things are possible :

1) you are not been completely honest

2) you have memorised the whole of Java 's class libraries from class String to the Stream API and beyond (hehehehehehe)

3) like me you have access to latest versions of many of the best Java books covering different areas and supplement them with google.

4) you are still writing very trivial applications.

5 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 8:38pm On Jan 27, 2017
Phourxx:

Are you sure?
Yeah.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 8:40pm On Jan 27, 2017
orimion:
he didnt call people that don't use google bad programmer, he said people who frown at using google. As for the matter of you not using google, I believe you have another source for quick reference (might be the documentation or even the source code) Trying to know everything offhand, I believe is a sign of a bad programmer
The api doc. Can't imagine how i went so long without it! It's indispensable.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 9:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
abdulwahabO:

four things are possible :

1) you are not been completely honest

2) you have memorised the whole of Java 's class libraries from class String to the Stream API and beyond (hehehehehehe)

3) like me you have access to latest versions of many of the best Java books covering different areas and supplement them with google.

4) you are still writing very trivial applications.

I use the api docs and ebooks.
I usually have internet connection disabled or have exhausted my data plan when coding.
- You'll have to define trivial here.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 9:15pm On Jan 27, 2017
AntiWailer:
No serious programmer will not use google.

Except u are writing multiplication table .
This is your opinion, not the rule. I've written and am writing non-trivial applications without googling

You meet new challenges everyday and u need references online.
You're right. The I.T landscape changes so quickly. For that googling and using the internet is indispensable. But for a project, its features are usually well defined , you just implement bycoding, not
going online to learn how to code a feature etc . Some ppl do that, some dont

I am talking about challenges you have never come across before not how to use If Then Else.

.... and yes I am talking with over a decade experience In Programming and lead on several mission critical projects.
Your decade of experience didnt obviously expose you to all cases, there's still a lot you dont know

Google bears no relevance to coding work, except you're looking for some script to download and use.
The api docs, references (ebooks) is enough. You dont need the latest api docs anyway, they dont change so often.
A program = data structure + algorithm. How much googling dyu need for that!
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by AntiWailer: 9:26pm On Jan 27, 2017
asalimpo:

Google bears no relevance to coding work, except you're looking for some script to download and use.
The api docs, references (ebooks) is enough. You dont need the latest api docs anyway, they dont change so often.

U are deceiving ur self bro.

When u start a serious project, come back.

Tell me u will write a face recognition mobile app without Google cos u know control structures grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
AntiWailer:

Tell me u will write a face recognition mobile app without Google cos u know control structures grin

Well said.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by abdulwahabO: 11:29pm On Jan 27, 2017
asalimpo:

Lolz clearly have never built anytin serious.. When you start building real applications nobody will tell you to start googling , and am not talking about copying code.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 12:24pm On Jan 28, 2017
AntiWailer:

It's you who doesnt what you're talking about. Your world view is really limited.
First you said, except its the simplest of codes, multiplication table in your example, you need google.
For what? To help you think thru the problem, or to help you find the right data structure or what?
Your face recognition talk is just a rehash of the same old thing.
Anyone with domain knowledge in an area, can create an application in that area without googling.
If building a face recognition or any kind of software,
if you decompose the problem into bits, code up the bits incrementally, you will eventually write the program. What does google have to do with it? Are you guys so dense? Honestly i'm suprised the kind of crap i read over here.
If on the other hand you want to use a face recognition API, you may research on what is available (which is where google comes in) , to know what to do.
Besides, you never defined what constitutes trivial or challenging app.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 12:29pm On Jan 28, 2017
abdulwahabO:

Lolz clearly have never built anytin serious.. When you start building real applications nobody will tell you to start googling , and am not talking about copying code.
clearly you are an ignoramus, even your line gives you away, how dyu know what i've built or not built. Talking typical crap as usual, because you think everything has to fit your mould of thinking.
What are real applications .
What will i google? Tell me? If i have the api docs for my language, and eboooks (on the domain i'm pursuing)
Then i may not google anything!
If i know the domain very well, then i just need the api docs. What then am i googling for? Are you telling me you cant take an idea, turn into code without googling? What are you googling? sad sad

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 12:33pm On Jan 28, 2017
@abdulwahabO, AntiWailer and co
Why not state what real applications you've built, that couldnt be built without googling?
That couldnt be built with just the language's api docs and ebooks(or videos whichever is your primary study sources. I'm a book person so i use ebooks)
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jan 28, 2017
asalimpo:
@abdulwahabO, AntiWailer and co
Why not state what real applications you've built, that couldnt be built without googling?
That couldnt be built with just the language's api docs and ebooks(or videos whichever is your primary study sources. I'm a book person so i use ebooks)

These resources you've mentioned are all available and faster to get by doing a google search, so I think you're missing the point here.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by AntiWailer: 2:52pm On Jan 28, 2017
asalimpo:

It's you who doesnt what you're talking about. Your world view is really limited.
First you said, except its the simplest of codes, multiplication table in your example, you need google.
For what? To help you think thru the problem, or to help you find the right data structure or what?
Your face recognition talk is just a rehash of the same old thing.
Anyone with domain knowledge in an area, can create an application in that area without googling.
If building a face recognition or any kind of software,
if you decompose the problem into bits, code up the bits incrementally, you will eventually write the program. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin What does google have to do with it? Are you guys so dense? Honestly i'm suprised the kind of crap i read over here.
If on the other hand you want to use a face recognition API, you may research on what is available (which is where google comes in) , to know what to do.
Besides, you never defined what constitutes trivial or challenging app.

I can't wait to laugh at the nonsense decompose in bits and codes that you type there.

You are just beating about the bush.

The message is the same that for some complex task in programming you need to use google which does not necessarily make u less of a programmer.

For design patterns and improving your code quality, you might reference better patterns online. You might not get that in what you claim you reference offline

All the "I know so much i dnt have to google" is for newbie programmers. as you grow, you will drop it.

I am done dragging unnecessary point with you,

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by abdulwahabO: 6:59pm On Jan 28, 2017
Smh.. Don't worry with time you go get sense.. *un-follows thread*

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by jidez007: 7:05pm On Jan 28, 2017
Febup:

These resources you've mentioned are all available and faster to get by doing a google search, so I think you're missing the point here.
Exactly even books may get outdated

3 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 28, 2017
jidez007:

Thanks, but even these books are already outdated by the time they are published as it takes about three years for books to be available for readers to read after the author has completed writing these books.

But a google search gives you the latest resources to develop good working applications.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 1:26am On Jan 29, 2017
AntiWailer:

I can't wait to laugh at the nonsense decompose in bits and codes that you type there.

You are just beating about the bush.

The message is the same that for some complex task in programming you need to use google which does not necessarily make u less of a programmer.

For design patterns and improving your code quality, you might reference better patterns online. You might not get that in what you claim you reference offline

All the "I know so much i dnt have to google" is for newbie programmers. as you grow, you will drop it.

I am done dragging unnecessary point with you,

You have not said anything that makes sense. A lot of close minded posters may side with you, but logically you are still ranting about the same thing. For some complex task you need to use google- meaning what?
That you can't code it all on your own because of what? You need google for what? source code, algorithims or api lookup , what?

Lookup design patterns- is that what you think about when coding? I shake my head for you? You don't know anything period. Get out of you box.
Bros, the only design pattern in code is - 1) elegant 2)simple code.
Some people adhere to established practices - gof others achieve those goals through unconscious incompetence. years of designing and thinking about design and tradeoffs that they design notable works , professional grade works without googling . Besides, the fp community laffs at the oop community because while most fp languages are based on mathematical theory, most design patterns that have been upheld as written by the finger of God have been proved to be bogus nonsense and wrong!!

You and others essentially say, that without googling you can't create complex code, which is bunkum . You go on to say, besides "multiplication table" you can't create anything outside googling - what junk are you talking about?

I repeat:
given the api docs of your language,
reference material (for domain specifics),
You can shut down the internet, and complete even multiyear projects! (in this case your language will be outdated, but it will not affect your code working.)

You need just a compiler, editor, system and time and space to think/chew on the problem.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 1:29am On Jan 29, 2017
abdulwahabO:
Smh.. Don't worry with time you go get sense.. *un-follows thread*
You're a noob. With time your head will clear. Too much dogma inside it.
without google you can't write anything! What nonsense!!
So if you want to complete a 6 month project, you cant work on it, complete it, and post it, without even going online (i know it's like suicide because were such netizens, but lets just say you totally unplug from the net)
will that make accomplishing the project impossible?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 1:31am On Jan 29, 2017
Febup:

I'm not missing any point, you're simply sticking to your views and remaining unyielding. Resilient to logic and reasoning.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 1:40am On Jan 29, 2017
jidez007:

Exactly, so you get new books. Books/videos/webpages are all references. Even language api's get outdated,
You refresh. You and others just jump to conclusions assuming that because some one uses books - he'll be using outdated books.
okay, even assuming that is the case, and that i'm coding with java 1.4, in a cave, does that mean i can't create a project of decent magnitude?
Okay,that looks stretched, assuming i'm using java 1.6, and i'm working on a "complex project" but because i'm closed minded, and offline, i dont hear of java 1.7,1.8 (with beautiful lamdas and streams) yet i'm plugging away hacking on this serious project, will i be writing trivial stuff? Or will i be able to write advanced stuffs because i'm using latest tools?

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 2:13am On Jan 29, 2017
asalimpo:

I'm not missing any point, you're simply sticking to your views and remaining unyielding.

Post a link here to a complex web application or a complex mobile application you have developed with just your e-books and books.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by onedayatime(m): 8:46am On Jan 29, 2017
@asalimpo might be an expert. If you are an expert in your field, you may not need to google too much. He claims he is not using google, then so be it. No argument. A yoruba adage says, two people can not be deceive at a time, if the hearer believes, the teller knows he is lieing and vice versa.
Like myself, before using google, I will first go to stackoverflow or coderanch or sitepoint etc and if no real answer is coming from one of those sites(which is rearly the case), then I resort to using google and at times, I use google straight.

I almost don't believe Asalimpo but you never might tell, he might be saying the truth. Off to church

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 10:48am On Jan 29, 2017
Febup:

Post a link here to a complex web application or a complex mobile application you have developed with just your e-books and books.

It's apparent you dont believe me. But why so? Programming is all about logic- And logically your arguments fail.
books/ebooks (my preferred reference materials) , compiler/interpreter, editor/ide, language docs , machine (computer) , electricity, health, and your good to go. Google or no google!

If you dont know about the domain, then more research has to be made - but if you do, e.g typical crud app,
you can complete everything without looking online.

The age of your tool doesnt affect what you can do. You can still be using java 1.4 and do what anybody can do with java 1.8, but it will just be harder, your code will still compile, run and work. Again, no google.
You can use design patterns,and best practices (e.g naming your classes with capital letters, using camel case in method naming, keeping methods short) good, but if you dont, the compiler doesnt care! It will still do what you tell it to do. Your code will still run! Again, no google.

You can use an ide, or you can use ms word! or notepad, who cares, your code will still compile and run.
You can visit stackoverflow, or code ranch or youtube etc
Or you can not and just work alone, at the end , code still compiles and runs.

You can use junit or nunit etc or not. Use assertions or if else or not.
Use null or Options, or not. At the end, all that matters is did your code do what it was suppose to do?!
It's not even hard! Just work on the project and complete it.

You can know only 1 programming language or know dozens, at the end it only matters that you got the job done! Whether you use google or not is irrelevant. Did you get the job done? That's the q.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 29, 2017
@Asalimpo

You can start a complex online web application and post the link here to show us you don't use google for reference.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 11:51am On Jan 29, 2017
Some applications you can create without using google:
range - from simple to complex.

1.) Calculator - with or without gui.

2.) To do list -

3.) phone book -

4.) project management software -

5.) Calendar

6.) local search software -

7.) data structures - all that come with your language

8.) supermarket/inventory software

9.) School software

10.) Accounting software

11.) cyber cafe software -

12) Text editors (simple to complex )

13) parsers/compilers - (simple to complex)

15) Banking software

16) Legal/law software

17) statistics software

18) gps software

19) Finance software

20) Restaurant software

21) Human resource software

22) Hospital software

23) Payroll software

Not using google doesnt mean you dont use reference materials.
e.g though you can create a compiler with just brute force logic,
an efficient and optimizing compiler will need access to materials in the field,
because as a layperson, that's not your domain. But if books are your thing,as is mine,
you can get books that deal with techniques that are good enough to get you decent performance.
For cutting edge stuffs, you need recent academic papers, most of the theories these papers present arent even published, to get them you have to attend the conferences or something like that. But that's getting into theoretical aspects here. Most of us arent writing cutting edge stuff. Just simple logic that reads/writes to a database etc For those you dont need google!
I dont use videos because most times, i dont find them coherent. They're disjointed and not as well thought out as books. Books are subjected to editors and professional reviewers.
Videos? - well... except maybe paid videos (udemy courses etc ) but they're books for those.

Accounting/statistics software requires domain knowledge.

For the lay programmer, Gps software will require domain knowledge so he'll have to subscribe to
apis written by domain experts. He'll have to research the system he's trying to create before creating it. That's where google comes in.
But if he's a domain expert, e.g has knowledge of maths,physics,geography, he may not need google.
He could even write the api for others- because he has domain knowledge.

For software that dont require domain knowledge, googling isnt necessary. And theyre tonnes of such software available.
For cloud software/saas/ you can use books or research using google. But that's it.
Every latest cutting edge technology has a book ,infact many books on it, as publishers cash in on the craze to make money. Is it dockers, amazon web service, kubernetes, you name it. Just do a torrent search, you'll be flooded with books.
Is it programming languages, their books. is it frameworks, theyre books. If you want to try out the tech when its fresh, so well, then you visit the site and hunt around the docs yourself. But that's cos you're a very early user of the tech.
Some other stuffs have videos, because you wont find books, they're still reference materials though.
Wanna know how to use cygwin, theyre videos. Wanna know how to install linux , bsd, <operating system> and play around,they're videos (though most of them are of differing qualities)

Hope this settles this arguments. you pro-google fans should stop projecting your world view on others. It's narrow mindedness and unwarranted generalisations.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by asalimpo(m): 12:10pm On Jan 29, 2017
onedayatime:
@asalimpo might be an expert. If you are an expert in your field, you may not need to google too much. He claims he is not using google, then so be it. No argument. A yoruba adage says, two people can not be deceive at a time, if the hearer believes, the teller knows he is lieing and vice versa.
Like myself, before using google, I will first go to stackoverflow or coderanch or sitepoint etc and if no real answer is coming from one of those sites(which is rearly the case), then I resort to using google and at times, I use google straight.

I almost don't believe Asalimpo but you never might tell, he might be saying the truth. Off to church
I'm not an expert in anything. That's just how i naturally work.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Software Developer by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 29, 2017
@Asalimpo

I can provide you with free web hosting if you want, so build a complex web application without using google as a reference and l will post the link here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Are You Guys Coping With International Ban On Cards / How To Fix Google Adsense Identity Verification Fail Within 30 Minutes ( VIDEO) / How Can I Learn OOP With Java?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.