Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,823 members, 7,813,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike (26394 Views)

Confusion As PENGASSAN, NUPENG Contradict Each Other On Strike / Fuel Price: NLC To Begin Strike Wednesday / Oil Marketers, Nupeng, Pengassan Call Off Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by gebest: 6:54pm On May 21, 2015
so jonathan wan ground the economy kpatakpata b4 handing over to gmb, but this is wickedness na.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by atlwireles: 6:57pm On May 21, 2015
Waiting for ASUU to join their fellow brothers. APC they are your people and supporters, deal with them. grin grin grin grin grin Left to people like us all unions would be restricted to states alone and no strike without a public ballot approving their stup id blackmailing tool.. Na una dey cry Labour union rights, you people will feel the heat now.

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by spencekat(m): 6:57pm On May 21, 2015
Buhari will solve the problem
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by 9jatatafo(m): 6:59pm On May 21, 2015
What a tale of a country. Just few can decide to hold the country to ransom.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by lonelydora: 6:59pm On May 21, 2015
coolhamid:
Buhari has lotta works to do.

FG needs to find a way of making these Unions less powerful.
It seems they dictate a lot to the government..

Imagine Oil marketers holding the entire nation to ransom because of fuel subsidy..

Now PENGASSAN and NUPENG are about to start their own...

Jah , show us the way..

As they are making it less powerful, be ready to suffer as a worker, that's if u r a worker. No management gives workers what they demand without a fight. Although the Unions abuse it though.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 21, 2015
Still wondering how many professional oil and gas bodies we have in Nigeria
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by Odaveboy(m): 7:02pm On May 21, 2015
Abeg wetin this pple want again?......all this pple go just they do anyhow.....lord ave mercy.....

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by Kposkila: 7:12pm On May 21, 2015
mistypiper:
If you guys just begin una yeye strike, how come Ive been buying petrol @ 170/L. E kuku ni pa wa.

All this OML 42 and 43 wey una dey shout go soon finish, i wonder what your ministry would be doing then. As for the president - voted out I don't know what to say but its a shame that you tenure is ending with so much chaos.
Hahaha, it's all the struggle a better nigeria, OML is OIL MINING LEASE
I pray the president - elect would keep his promise. otherwise na another once chance.

Wetin be OML sef? All na washing.

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by mashnino(m): 7:28pm On May 21, 2015
Can someone explain to me what OML is and why are they striking over it
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by listenmore: 7:37pm On May 21, 2015
mashnino:
OIL MINING LEASE, as per what they are striking for, its gibberish. I don't see how it affect us. Everything about NNPC is in secrecy.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by mashnino(m): 7:43pm On May 21, 2015
listenmore:

OIL MINING LEASE, as per what they are striking for, its gibberish. I don't see how it affect us. Everything about NNPC is in secrecy.

Wait... But the strike will affect the flow of fuel bah?

If yes.. We don finish for dis country

If no... We still dey in soup
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 21, 2015
RICHIEBOI1:
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN, and the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, branch of the Nigerian Petroleum Development Corporation, NPDC, yesterday shut down exploration activities in the country over the failure to reverse the alleged transfer of the operatorship of Oil Mining Lease, OML 42.

The unions had given a notice, which expired on Friday, urging the Federal Government to reverse the transfer of operatorship of the Joint Venture, JV, partnership in OMLs 40 and 42 to Neconde Energy Nigeria Limited and Elcrest Exploration and Production Limited.

A statement from the JV partners, said the shut-in has affected all NPDC operated assets in joint venture with indigenous companies that had applied for operatorship, except Neconde, who, prior to the crisis, had been awarded the operatorship of OML 42, and immediately got the JTF to secure the assets.

Elcrest (OML 40) which is next in line to be awarded operatorship, Shoreline OML 30 and FHN/Afren (OML 26) have now been shut as oil evacuation is hampered from OML 34 which relies on the OML 30 pumping station. The unions had accused the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Allison-Madueke, of stripping the two oil blocks from NPDC, a subsidiary of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC.

In 2011, the Federal Government assigned 55 per cent equity in eight assets divested by the Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC to NPDC. The company had since retained the operatorship of most of the assets which included: OMLs 4, 26, 30, 34, 38, 40, 41 and 42. The partners in the statement also expressed worry over the impact of the industrial action on the already crippled country’s economy. According to the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, “Nigeria has faced continued pressure from spiraling debts, in the face of dwindling revenues resulting from falling global crude oil prices.”

They argued that if the industrial action is allowed to persist, it will also affect the power sector as NPDC supplies at least 30 per cent of gas required to generate electricity. According to them, “Over the years, NPDC have been under constant attack for lacking the requisite technical competence and financial muscle to operate the assets in contention effectively and efficiently.

“Under NPDC’s operatorship, all the oil fields have taken a nose-dive in production volumes; obligations to communities have not been met; sharp drop in revenue, etc. All the indigenous companies that are in a JV with NPDC have suffered from the poor performance of NPDC since acquiring the licenses.” They also insisted on “NPDC’s lack of capacity to continue as the operator of the acreages they purchased from the Shell-led consortium. Their argument is that they could have gotten more production out of the fields than NPDC was doing as operator.

The government appears to have finally agreed with them and the perception in the industry is that the remaining three companies will soon have their prayers for operatorship answered.” A management staff of NPDC who pleaded anonymity, was quoted as saying that the strike had resulted from “a breakdown in communication” between the management of the company and the union members.

He further stated that under the new arrangement, the workers stand to benefit more, saying: “Both the NPDC and the indigenous companies are all understaffed, and would require more workers.” “With operatorship rights transferred to the indigenous companies, there is bound to be a sharp increase in oil production; an increase in revenue stream; increased gas supply to domestic markets to improve power generation; community development etc,” he added.

When contacted, NUPENG National Secretary, Comrade Isaac Aberare, said such shift in ownership will affect workers welfare. “Whenever there is a change like this, the interest and welfare of the workers are affected. Also, workers are always paid-off.” He argued that the assets are operating and do not need to be sold. “The asset is a producing field and is not a marginal field. If it is fully operational and working well, why sell it to make others suffer?

“The transfer however, would strip NPDC of its operation on that assets as well as affecting the production, and welfare of the workers. The sale was done without following due process,” he alleged.

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2015/05/pengassan-nupeng-on-strike.html

Una mama n papa if u like shut it up....we dnt give a damn anymore.. Thieves
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by litaninja(m): 7:46pm On May 21, 2015
There's been no fuel for weeks now.... So the threat of a strike is not really doing much.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by Pesuzok(m): 7:47pm On May 21, 2015
mashnino:

The joint venture (JV) ie different companies that own the OML(oil mining LICENSE - an area where crude oil is produced from) doesn't want NPDC to operate the OML, that is like saying they don't want NPDC to run the business. NPDC is one of the companies in the JV.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by buJu234: 8:04pm On May 21, 2015
What a funny union...

What a shame...

Ur members NPDC is grossly performing below standard (reducing oil production instead of increasing it) and instead of telling ur members to build up their professional capabilities to international standards like the IOC; u 're going on strike..

Same happened with Nitel and NEPA trade unions...

These gross way of mediocrity in Nigerian civil services has to stopped.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by onyxo76(m): 8:07pm On May 21, 2015
rubbish,with or without your strike ;there has been fuel shortage for several weeks now,so how worse can it get...you can go and drink your fuel and reserve some with which to burn down your residence -awon oponu lasan lasan.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by lolaluv1(f): 8:36pm On May 21, 2015
coolhamid:

Imagine Oil marketers holding the entire nation to ransom because of fuel subsidy..

Jah , show us the way..

Do you know What is happening at all?
The same man responsible for selling PHCN is the one carrying out the sale of these oil fields too.
He is not an oil expert; he is a lawyer.
After PHCN was sold, do We have better electricity? Are We in the promised land?

Anybody who's worth his salt knows that NPDC generates the major cash for the whole NNPC as a whole.

Jonathan's cohorts are selling these oil fields to themselves if you don't know. The oil fields (our birthright ) are being sold to the company owned by the husband of a certain pretty woman in the oil sector with bulgy eyes.

You connect the dots.

And that is What the union is fighting against.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by ibitzbarlow(m): 8:46pm On May 21, 2015
Flets:
The problem of Nigeria has moved from leadership to followership. Mob mentality and absolute illiteracy seems to be the biggest problem.

The apathy to every form of government structure and tribalism has blinded Nigerians to objectivity.

Nigerians never sits to think for the long term and common good. Once government is one side, then that's the wrong side.

NPDC has made a mess of their operations and efforts have been made to optimize their production by the outgoing govt and people are here calling for GEJ's head

When GEJ attempted removal of subsidy in 2012, Nigerians hits the streets.... Today they still blame govt when the oil marketers hold the country to ransom

Note this: Without the support of the masses, No president Buhari or GEJ can salvage the economy...... because Nigerians are ready tools in the hands of the enemies of Nigeria.

And I personally think that APC campaign strategy and election result maps has heightened the political awareness, broadened the divide across the regions. Unfortunately patriotism might be far fetched in the coming years and we will still play into the hands of troubles.

Before you quote me, read to understand.

I do not know where you get your information from, but I'm dead sure you are wrong about NPDC messing up her operations. You do not know anything about NPDC and her operations that's why you could make such comments. To put the record straight, NPDC staff ain't on strike because they are against Government policies. The strike ain't about GEJ either. If you are knowledgeable in oil politics you will understand why this strike is necessary. The aim is to strengthen and restore government revenue from the troubled OMLS. By virtue of SPDC'S divesture from these OMLs, NNPC had the right of first refusal to operatorship of the OMLS which was duly exercised. NPDC being the E &P arm of NNPC was saddled with that responsibility. NPDC had operated OML 42 with little or no cash call from NECONDE the partner who bought over SPDC'S share and has actually ramped up production since assuming operatorship.
Now, the government (petroleum ministry and NNPC mgmt) have clandestinely transferred the operatorship of the asset to NECONDE - a partner who could not fund his cash calls and who also do not have operatorship experience. From experience, we know that most JV partners actually hide behind operatorship of assets to defraud Government. NPDC's operatorship of these assets have actually brought down the cost of running these assets (both OPEX and Capex). On the other hand, the SAAs as instituted by the Government has diverted much required government oil revenue to private hands (cronies). This is what this change in operatorship aims to achieve.
This is what NUPENGASSAN aims to stop.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by lolaluv1(f): 8:46pm On May 21, 2015
obynaDmob:

Not sure I want to believe this....

Best believe This is exactly What is happening. The company is owned by her husband. She is selling Nigeria's property to herself and very cheaply too....

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by bigazu(m): 8:46pm On May 21, 2015
d33types:
Do people even read these days..the post is talking one thing, stupidos' are commenting off point..
And one poster is asking what oml is..talkless of it's significance..we are so far from the mark.

A lot of folks don't even understand what d posts is all about, see ignorant pple talking about subsidy when its all about crude exploration and sales. The strike is about deziane's corruption in nnpc, she single handedly gave the sale of nnpc's crude to a private company to handle after which the company and nnpc will share the profit 50/50. Which doesn't make sense because nnpc can sell their crude by themselves without any middle man. So the strike is in order, deziane is d worst thing dat has hapend to nnpc in d last 30yrs.

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by mechanics(m): 8:49pm On May 21, 2015
investnotspend:
This is pure madness , Buhari needs to do something about this guys holding Nigerians to Ransome
dey ar fighting 4 their right, so dont blame dem, assuming u were in their shoes, u wil do more.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by mechanics(m): 8:56pm On May 21, 2015
coolhamid:

Jah , show us the way..
dat wil nt b possible, Unions ar meant to b active in every sector, na strike FG undastand so dont blame dem.

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by onoerime: 9:06pm On May 21, 2015
Since the two unions are unable to resolve issues, I think the best bet is to scrap the unions
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by buJu234: 9:44pm On May 21, 2015
ibitzbarlow:

I do not know where you get your information from, but I'm dead sure you are wrong about NPDC messing up her operations. You do not know anything about NPDC and her operations that's why you could make such comments. To put the record straight, NPDC staff ain't on strike because they are against Government policies. The strike ain't about GEJ either. If you are knowledgeable in oil politics you will understand why this strike is necessary. The aim is to strengthen and restore government revenue from the troubled OMLS. By virtue of SPDC'S divesture from these OMLs, NNPC had the right of first refusal to operatorship of the OMLS which was duly exercised. NPDC being the E &P arm of NNPC was saddled with that responsibility. NPDC had operated OML 42 with little or no cash call from NECONDE the partner who bought over SPDC'S share and has actually ramped up production since assuming operatorship.
Now, the government (petroleum ministry and NNPC mgmt) have clandestinely transferred the operatorship of the asset to NECONDE - a partner who could not fund his cash calls and who also do not have operatorship experience. From experience, we know that most JV partners actually hide behind operatorship of assets to defraud Government. NPDC's operatorship of these assets have actually brought down the cost of running these assets (both OPEX and Capex). On the other hand, the SAAs as instituted by the Government has diverted much required government oil revenue to private hands (cronies). This is what this change in operatorship aims to achieve.
This is what NUPENGASSAN aims to stop.

U 're 100% wrong abt Neconde funding capabilities.

because Neconde is one of the companies that I did contracts for in 2013-2014.

So I know those guys very well... They hardly owe u.. ok

NPDC was also my clients going to 4yrs now. They hardly pay for services ... Most of the communities along OML 42 (batan kantu odidi etc) 're still waiting for their pay that NPDC hasn't paid.

always research first.. in fact the daily news papers 're now getting the real truth..

The assets wasn't sold contrary to what Pengassen said. It's a joint operatorship. Joint assets management team finished.

If NPDC hands are clean why 're they afraid of the joint operationship.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by babestella: 9:48pm On May 21, 2015
These people are just too heartless.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by mumuto: 9:49pm On May 21, 2015
I hear say the Neconde guy sponsor PDP campaign so na the only way the outgoing government fit help am recover him money. Milk Nigeria of its oil.smh

1 Like

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by mattonnairaland: 10:02pm On May 21, 2015
In addition to absence of fuel? All of them are sick.
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by domejike(m): 10:56pm On May 21, 2015
Built2last:
I totally supported GEJ when he removed this subsidy in 2012

and i will support GMB to remove it. nonsense

we cant be held to ransome by some greedy vampires who think they are doing us a favour.

let petrol rise to 200 naira and see how investors will flood the market.

giving us the right to choice.

if subsidy is removed, competition will crash the market in less than two years.

why cant we make the sacrifice now and enjoy later but NO, we remain the most impatient people.
i support you totally because from home refining we will have other linkage industries, like petrochemicals, agro-allied and plastic industries which gets their raw materials from the bye-products of crude refinning, which in the long run creates employment opportunities
Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by Heffalump(m): 11:04pm On May 21, 2015
buJu234:

U 're 100% wrong abt Neconde funding capabilities.

because Neconde is one of the companies that I did contracts for in 2013-2014.

So I know those guys very well... They hardly owe u.. ok

NPDC was also my clients going to 4yrs now. They hardly pay for services ... Most of the communities along OML 42 (batan kantu odidi etc) 're still waiting for their pay that NPDC hasn't paid.

always research first.. in fact the daily news papers 're now getting the real truth..

The assets wasn't sold contrary to what Pengassen said. It's a joint operatorship. Joint assets management team finished.

If NPDC hands are clean why 're they afraid of the joint operationship.

I have made some research about this transfer of operatorship saga and all I can say is that you are very economical with the truth.

The MD of NPDC, a lawyer was specially hired to fulfill this unholy act of sell out. Nigerians are angry because of the secrecy it was handled coupled with the fact that the unions were not carried in the process leaving empty voids for suspicion.

I was reliably told that NECONDE is cash trapped currently due to the huge investment towards GEJ's failed re-election bid. A situation that made their foreign partner to abandon them.

NPDC is actually very competent considering their current and previous achievements, except for the bureucratic processes in NNPC- of which the PIB currently being debated at the NA will surely address.

How can NECONDE that was set up in 2011 have any better requisite experience and expertise to operate the asset than NPDC with many yrs of operating as E and P company?

The truth is that oil cabal that have wreck damage to Nigeria are at it again. Thru operatorship, they can pad running cost excessively at the detriment of poor Nigerians.

Jonathan will not escape with this!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by okoolori(m): 11:07pm On May 21, 2015
gcfrcom:
cheesy very funny.
I need to get a bicycle

I don buy my own tehteh. I even put "this one no dey use fuel"

2 Likes

Re: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike by obynaDmob(m): 11:22pm On May 21, 2015
lolaluv1:

Best believe This is exactly What is happening. The company is owned by her husband. She is selling Nigeria's property to herself and very cheaply too....

Obara Jesus....I am still looking for the appropriate thing to say

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

80 Cameroonian Paramilitary Police Officers Invade Cross River Community / CJN: Withdraw Osinbajo's Pastoral Position Or Else... - Timi Frank To Adeboye / Peter Obi Signed Pension Bill For Former Anambra Governors in 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.