Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers (5340 Views)

Latest Robbery Gimmicks! Be Aware!! / Hotel Requests And Reviews Directory / Arik Air - Passenger Reviews! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by JJYOU: 12:27pm On Feb 12, 2009
Based on suggestions, we are changing this thread to hotel reviews. guys tell us which hotels you have enjoyed staying and which you didnt enjoy. please tell us what you need us to look out for or avoid in hotels.

MANY THANKS EVERYONE

Gimmicks hoteliers use to attract lodgers By Tobi Soniyi

Despite the different strategies adopted by hoteliers to lure guests, many of the facilities are manned by untrained staff

As competition becomes keener, hotels in Abuja are daily coming out with new tricks to stay ahead of competitors. While some provide complimentary breakfasts, some provide free computer and internet services, though some still charge guests a fee to access internet facilities.

In addition to complimentary breakfasts, some hotels also offer lodgers complimentary toothpaste, toothbrush and drinks.

There is also what they call weekend rates. Due to the fact that guests are fewer during weekends, some hotels reduce their rates by as much as half. Most people visit Abuja for businesses, especially with government, and since official transactions take place between Mondays and Friday, hotels are left with lesser guests to contend with during the weekends. To attract as many guests as possible, some hoteliers slash their rates at weekends in addition to providing free breakfast and internet facilities.

A particular hotel in the Central Area District sells drinks at rock bottom prices, thereby boosting sales. In the evenings, it converts its car park into an open air bar, turning it to a big party. There is always an impressive turn out of fun seekers who come in to buy cheap drinks every evening. A member of the staff of the hotel told our correspondent that what they realise from selling of drinks have overshot their earnings from lodgers.

Though, owners of hotels in the nation’s capital invest so much in facilities, they hardly invest in their workers. Many members of their staff are untrained and inexperienced. They are also impatient and sometimes abusive.

“They attend to you as if they are doing you a favour and expect you to personally motivate them before they can serve you better,” Kingsley Okechukwu, a Lagos based business man complained after checking out from a hotel.

The mode of employing hotel workers in Abuja certainly points to the kind of service to expect. It is a common sight to find a queue of applicants waiting to be interviewed in front of a hotel.

Another hotel in the Central Business District is notorious for employing young school leavers only to sack them six months after. Investigation by our correspondent on why this hotelier adopts such demeaning way of treating his workers reveals that he is afraid of organised labour, therefore, he employs them as casuals. He is afraid that if the workers stay too long, they can organise themselves into a group and start agitate for better conditions of service.

Mr. Kola Olaniyan who works with Amnesty International in London said that the last time he stayed in a big hotel in Wuse 2, the workers were so discourteous.

“In a hospitality industry, we expect people to be kind and helpful, but what I got was shocking. This is not how to promote tourism. I am a Nigerian and can understand, but foreigners will not,” Olaniyan said in a telephone interview from London.

Olaniyan said that at the reception of a particular hotel, he observed that rooms were being hoarded because the rooms would suddenly be available once you were ready to play ball.

“Because corruption has become a national malaise, you expect to see it in hotels,” he said.

Another visitor to Abuja, Mrs. Osai Ejigho, a Programme Officer at the Alliance for Africa, a non governmental organisation based in Lagos, said that hotels in Abuja are overpriced.

“I think Abuja hotels are overpriced - whether they are budget hotels or five stars. This is because, for the amount you pay, I think the service is average. I personally think Nigerian hotels are very expensive,” she said.

She also complained about poor customer service. According to her, “Staff of hotels are very poor at customer service that when you meet very good service you are surprised!”

“Facilities can be better. In some hotels, bathrooms especially, may have cracks in the walls, stained bath sinks and bath tubs. The room itself is usually clean, but then you may get stained sheets, and poor lighting. If you complain, you just get ‘sorry’. In most cases, the outside environment is spotless, which makes me wonder whether it is a ploy to attract customers only to discover that the rooms are not as clean as the outside, once you have checked in. Generally, I think the problem is a poor maintenance culture,” she added.

Getting value for money in Abuja hotels can be particularly tricky. This is because there is no comprehensive guide to check before making a decision.

The Nigeria Hotel Guide, published by the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC), is grossly inadequate and not exhaustive. For instance, only 132 hotels are listed in Abuja in the latest guide published by the corporation, notwithstanding the fact that there is twice that number of hotels in the Federal Capital Territory. The guide will also not show you what facilities are available in which hotel. So guests will have to rely on shared experience.

Writing on the necessity for the guide, the Director General of the NTDC, Chief Olusegun Runsewe said, “This book (guide) is borne out of our determination to ensure that tourists and potential lodgers in Nigeria hotels are given the relevant information that would enable them take well-informed decisions on where to get value for their money.”

The claim to give relevant information is not established in the publication. Apart from providing the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the hotels listed therein, there is no other information that a potential lodger can rely on to make an informed choice.

The guide is bereft of information on whether a hotel has swimming pools, internet and recreational facilities.

A guest, Mr. Olugbenga Thomas, an elderly man told our correspondent that he had paid for room in a hotel in Central Area and was given a room on the fourth floor, only to discover that there was no lift.

At a recent interaction with the Media in Abuja, Runsewe identified proliferation of sub-standard and inefficient hotels, other hospitality establishments which did not meet the minimum requirement for practice, as one of the problems militating against the development of the hospitality industry in Nigeria. It will interest him to know that such sub-standard hotels still operate in Abuja. 

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200902120455253
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by MrCrackles(m): 12:30pm On Feb 12, 2009
JJYOU:

In addition to complimentary breakfasts, some hotels also offer lodgers complimentary toothpaste, toothbrush and drinks.

Shouldnt toothpaste be a standard as part of a room rate?

Na wa ooo!
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by tpia: 8:25pm On Feb 12, 2009
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by JJYOU: 9:52am On Feb 13, 2009
tpia:

Nigerians do seem to have a problem with customer service. It's like they dont believe in it and dont want to understand what it means.

Some Nigerian stores abroad tend to have this same issue of bad customer service. I hope most of them have improved sha. Nigerians working in non-Nigerian workplaces  have to practice it however, because they can get in trouble if they dont.
why should have customer service when they have juju or prayer to attract people. some treat you like they are doing you a favour for opening the store at all.
MrCrackles:

Na wa ooo!

chewing sticks should be the standard
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by MrCrackles(m): 10:45am On Feb 13, 2009
JJYOU:

Fool, we are not talking about trailer park motels or rundown highway shacks!! tongue
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Aderoy(m): 10:52am On Feb 13, 2009
@ JJYOU

Nigerians do seem to have a problem with customer service. It's like they dont believe in it and dont want to understand what it means.

Some Nigerian stores abroad tend to have this same issue of bad customer service. I hope most of them have improved sha. Nigerians working in non-Nigerian workplaces  have to practice it however, because they can get in trouble if they dont.

why should have customer service when they have juju or prayer to attract people. some treat you like they are doing you a favour for opening the store at all.
Quote from: MrCrackles on Yesterday at 12:30:21 PM

Na wa ooo!

ROFLMBAO   shocked shocked shocked shocked

Oh my God, chewing stick keh,

Na wa oo, anyway I have used that stick so many times while in Naija that it became a standard (at least for me) so it wouldnt be too bad if we re-invent our own "hospitality standard".

I only hope that the hotels create a dentistry clinic on each floor of their hotel to attend to cases of "bleeding tooth gums complaints".  

Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by denony(m): 11:25am On Feb 13, 2009
it that a timber of a chewing stick? shocked
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Busybody2(f): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2009
If it is okay with you JJyou, why don't we use this thread as a starting point to review hotels in Nigeria then, like Tripadvisors that allows users to rate hotels they have been to cheesy I believe in people power, and once they start realising that negative reviews is harming their business, hopefully they would sit up grin At least I can hope cool

Who wants to start then?
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by MrCrackles(m): 1:10pm On Feb 13, 2009
Busy_body:

If it is okay with you JJyou, why don't we use this thread as a starting point to review hotels in Nigeria then, like Tripadvisors that allows users to rate hotels they have been to cheesy I believe in people power, and once they start realising that negative reviews is harming their business, hopefully they would sit up grin At least I can hope cool

Who wants to start then?

I agree with you Busy but we may need to change the title of the thread to comply with posting on topic.

JJYOU what do you think?
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Aderoy(m): 1:16pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Denony

it that a timber of a chewing stick? 

Ah na real African chewing stick oo.

Fellow NLs, I second the opinion of a review on Hotels in Nigeria (same can be extended to other services).
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by JJYOU: 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2009
Busy_body:

Who wants to start then?
you know i will do anything for the busy lady.
[size=18pt]request granted[/size].
lets get this going
MrCrackles:

I agree with you Busy but we may need to change the title of the thread to comply with posting on topic.

JJYOU what do you think?

i think you are right. is the topic title okay now?
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by JJYOU: 3:01pm On Feb 13, 2009
heading changed
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by MrCrackles(m): 4:48pm On Feb 13, 2009
JJYOU:

heading changed

Much better

Let the reviews begin
! grin
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Elgaxton(m): 6:42pm On Feb 13, 2009
The problem wit nigerians is lack of courtesy and professionalism, imagin urself workin into a fine hotel on the outside onlI to see some mean lookin faces as receptionist. Too bad. Hoteliers should start by hirin graduates of hotel rel8ed courses as management who will be in a position to train the junior staffs on courtesy and kindness to other pple. If u don't treat ur customers important U'll suffer loss. Thats Y THEY are called GUESTS. Same goes 4 nigerian airports.
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by denony(m): 12:44pm On Feb 16, 2009
Could u imagine, I entered one of the hotel's with my chic, pay for the time to spend,
after some minutes, i heard a knock on the door, before i could even say who the door
is already open, door that i locked from inside was opened from outside.

and you know am already b*******g the show, i was lookign at the manager and two of their
worker and they are looking at us, it was like a film, not knowing that the person i paid the
money to did not put it in record, rather he recorded it in his own pocket (fast guy) and the mnager was boiiling

It was ridiculous, i and my chic was na********d already u know wink

NA HIM I VEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXX
START TO HALLA TO THE MAN

ARE YOU CARZY, DON'T YOU HAVE RESPECT? U MUST PAY ME FOR DAMAGES smiley
HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?
THE MAN START TO DEY BEG, BUT YOU KNOW DAMAGES ALREADY DONE.

IT WAS A BAD EXPERIENCE
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by chidexy(m): 10:23pm On Feb 16, 2009
How about being evicted from the hotel, 4 days into your 6 days booking? All because some politicians wanted to use the hotel for their nocturnal meeting? Was the most embarrassing experience of my lodging. I wouldn't want to name the hotel - was lucky that i got my 20K balance back
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Busybody2(f): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2009
@ Chidexy and Denony

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Sorry ehn grin grin grin grin grin

@ Mckracles and JJYOU

Thanks for the priviledge wink
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Busybody2(f): 6:52pm On Feb 17, 2009
@ post

Where is WUSE in Abuja? How does it compare? Is is like comparing Victoria Island to Mushin?

I have all these questions because someone said they were able to get hotel accommodation during Christmas for N5,000 compared to the going rate of N20,000 - N30,000 elsewhere in Abuja
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by ikeyman00(m): 11:08pm On Feb 17, 2009

afri hotel opp army college abuja Central area GBAM!

busy-b where u base self
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by hackney(m): 2:44pm On Feb 21, 2009
Try sharon ultimate in garki (area 3) :serious value for money (N14000) and really nice view.
or Denis hotel (wuse 2) : very safe and top service but a bit pricey (N24000; but i think they have a tour guide or so)
All those Sharaton and Nicon are over-priced (waste of cheddar abeg.)
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by Busybody2(f): 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2009
I saw a N99,000 price for one night in Lagos, e wan pass one room, even Waldorf Astoria or the 7-star hotel in Dubai does not cost that much shocked shocked shocked
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by whizzy(m): 5:53pm On Sep 27, 2009
Getting a good hotel in Nigderia is so much a great deal that i had to create a complete portal for it. I mean i have been in several hotels, that i have paid 2ru my nose to lodge, only to discover that i have hundreds of mosquito as room mates. There is a standard hotel review portal @ hotel2lodge.com, you can check it out
Re: HOTEL REVIEWS NGR & Gimmicks Abuja Hoteliers Use To Attract Lodgers by AbujaJobs1(m): 5:31pm On May 09, 2012
[url=abuja-hotels..com]Abuja Hotels[/url] are generally overpriced and offer low quality services. I don't blame people who call them names not even the so called Review of 5 star hotels in Abuja favours them.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Citizenship For An African American / NBS: 1,331 Nigerians Die In Road Crashes In Q2 / The Hustle Is REAL In Europe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.