Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,186 members, 7,825,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators (1046 Views)

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say / Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches / Why Nigerian Commentators Should Not Comment On Serious Matches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by toluwalomo(m): 4:35pm On Feb 12, 2009
I always try to avoid a Nigerian commentary for any football match.

Why?

Most Nigerian commentators really do not know what their job entails.

They are always partisan in their views, hardly add excitement to the match and brag about beating  opponents.

Nigeria vs Jamaican was no different.

The commentators were already yapping how Nigeria would whump Jamaica silly.

When Jamaicans were playing the better football, rather than recognize this, they were urging Nigeria towards upping their game.

And even when Taiye Taiwo and the Jamaican was shown a card, they lambasted the refeeree for a wrong call.

Taiwo was more physical in the exchange with the players.

And would have been sent off, if not the Jamaican player then pushed the official out of the way.

Is this the way to go when analysing football.

South American analysts are passionater about thier football but still maintain objectivity
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by DisGuy: 4:13pm On Feb 13, 2009
They are rubbish totally rubbish!
the funny thing is, they are the same set of people
that will accuse the NFF of being incompetent.
I have seen several nigeria games on nigerian TV
broadcasted and ran by south africans
They should all go for training!  angry

he passed to erm erm number 21-who is dat oh that is wasiu
that was a dangerous pass undecided
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by luckiest: 4:34pm On Feb 13, 2009
It is a shame the way things are done in this part of the world; it is not only the people at the top that doesn't make effort to improve on their profession; the guy in question have always been like that since I notice in program when AIT started using him, I think it is time people from entertainment world starts looking at sport comentary, image Oliseh who works with Cool FM to add sports comentary to his profile, he will do well, it is unfortunate because sports commentary don't need too much noice. When you listen to EPL commentary you feel the entire commentary is done by only two persons, yet they are about 10 of them, but they follow a particular script and until we modify our own, there is no way we can ever get close. check the match between England and Spain, you will think the commentators are not from England. I hope DAARSAT is not trying to introduce this type of commentary during the world cup. Come to think of it, some of these guys spend some time in England, why can't they use the opportunity to educate themselves more on how to be neutral while running commentary.
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by dyabman(m): 11:51am On Feb 14, 2009
They are Non-educated and Accent its killing them,
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by Jarus(m): 12:10pm On Feb 14, 2009
It was too embarrassing. At a time I felt like tuning down the volume of the TV set.
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 14, 2009
Didn't watch the Naija-Jamo game.
But if you've ever come across a Glo Premier League gme on Supersports,or rather mistakenly tuned into one,the commentary is ATROCIOUS!
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by FBS: 7:25pm On Feb 14, 2009
There is need to listen to those guys 'cos you will be only punishing yourself. Tune to a radio station (usually much more interesting) or just listen to be music. grin
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by khanye(m): 10:34am On Feb 16, 2009
and de, and de, and de, the ball is over the bar,
try listen to dem on 9ja league.
It's like comedy cheesy
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by Emad(f): 9:44am On Feb 17, 2009
another expression is "what a bombastic goal" or " that was a goalistic Missile"

grin
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by Olumide7(m): 8:58am On Feb 18, 2009
goooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll!!!!!! what a goal by Ikeshuku Ushe!!!
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by Tatase(f): 3:27am On Feb 21, 2009
I think the problem is that they forget that they're there to do a job i.e. report on the game and not to be entertained. So what ends up happening is that they forget themselves and begin to talk as if they're in their parlour watching the game with their neighbour with some suya and big stout.

For example, I remember one match Nigeria was playing and there was no light and so we were listening on radio and then the commentator said something like "Jesus! Jesus!! Jesus!!! <long pause> Oh no!!! Ah he didn't score! He should have passed that ball!" And to us who couldn't see and were just listening, each time he said "Jesus," we were shouting too like "what? what happened? Who? Who should have passed that ball? To whom? What's going on?"

To be fair, not all are equally bad. Some are definitely better than others, but still, most are not really up to it. At all!!!
Re: What Is Really The Problem With Nigerian Football Commentators by A40(m): 3:58am On Feb 21, 2009
Their commentaries are very biased and poor command of the english language doesn't help either

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Greatest Footballer Nigeria Have Ever Produced? / Where To Watch Live Matches Online / Nigeria Vrs Bukina Faso Match Would Be Delayed By 30minutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.