Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches (10457 Views)

World Cup 2018: Referees For Quarter-Final Matches Revealed! / 5 Important Health Tips When Watching Nigeria World Cup Matches / Why Nigerian Commentators Should Not Comment On Serious Matches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 12:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
The essence of this thread is to dissenter and refute the points raised by the Original Poster(OP) of this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3011016/why-nigerian-commentators-should-not , of why he believes and assents that Nigerian commentators should be barred from commenting during our international matches.

I want to use this medium to beseech the OP and Nigerians with similar mindsets to jettison Xenocentrism (the belief that products, styles, or ideas of one's country or society is inferior to those that are practised and originated elsewhere). This is why most Nigerians prefer the “alluring” commodities, ideologies and culture of foreigners above theirs.

The two points stated by the OP as to why he maintains the belief that Nigerian commentators should be thwarted from commenting are: The case of them being Subjective in their approach, and the display of incompetence and anomia (difficulty in finding the correct word to use).

The issue of them being subjective is universal, even the European commentators are also culpable of such attempt. I watched the Champions League Final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich and the commentators were obviously expressing their supports for the English team(Chelsea) by saying “Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!” anytime a Chelsea player scored during their penalty shoot out, since the full-time failed to produce the winner. If the British could not reprimand their commentators for being bias and subjective, then why should we reprimand ours?
You can watch the highlight here to answer for all skepticisms and inquisitions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xibKxX9iS5E .

The issue of them display incompetence can be resolve via formulating policies such establishing a vocational institute for out current and potential commentators to acquire assiduous training on commenting exercise.

They should ditch the mindset of appointing commentators base on their ability of to talk much, and being profound in Sports. They should be thought and made to imbibe the valid mechanisms of commenting.

Here is an encouraging comment from a Nairalander:
duality:

i've also seen good commentator in nigeria and i enjoy them. most times i use my radio when matches are on. some of those foreign commentators could be so dull for me.

Condemning ourselves is not a prerequisite for maintaining development.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by ogawisdom(m): 1:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
I use to enjoy Nigerian commentators esp those radio commentaries until I started listening to foreign commentators esp Epl commentators pure professionals

We only criticized our own constructively so dt they can improve, this is 2016 n d world is nw a global village d4 we all listen to commentators all over d world.

Dt AIT commentator last Friday shld b banned from commentating live matches in 2016 BC he was jst a commendian.

Counter thread shld b banned grin grin

26 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
ogawisdom:
I use to enjoy Nigerian commentators esp those radio commentaries until I started listening to foreign commentators esp Epl commentators pure professionals

We only criticized our own constructively so dt they can improve, this is 2016 n d world is nw a global village d4 we all listen to commentators all over d world.

Dt AIT commentator last Friday shld b banned from commentating live matches in 2016 BC he was jst a commendian.

Counter thread should be “banned” for imploring Nigerians to believe in themselves?

this irrational to me.
Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by ogawisdom(m): 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
blueto:

Counter thread should be “banned” for imploring Nigerians to believe in themselves?

this irrational to me.

This is abt constructively criticising our own so as to improve y do u lack comprehension. This is not abt self believe when one says "first debut" D biggest room in d world is d room for self improvement.

If u r here to support a commentator with several blunders instead of urging him to improve then u could b dull urself

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by LMAyedun(m): 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
Today is exactly one year that we voted in the party & the man that promised us Change. But within 10months, the promise of change is now a change of Promise. cry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Banjiolamide: 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
Omo that commentator for Nigeria vs Egypt nah trash.. . No offence

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by rawtouch: 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
They should improve

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
ogawisdom:

This is abt constructively criticising our own so as to improve y do u lack comprehension. This is not abt self believe when one says "first debut" D biggest room in d world is d room for self improvement.

If u r here to support a commentator with several blunders instead of urging him to improve then u could b dull urself
Bro, You said he should be “banned” from commentating, so how will that provide an opportunity for him to “improve”?

Stop being paradoxical with your oxymoron.
Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Chanchit: 2:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
Make we talk truth, the commentary weh those men dey run sef is enough to give team badluck.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by MVLOX(m): 2:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
How will niaja commentators running commentaries in our match help us beat Egypt and make us qualify for the AFCON.....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by bunmioguns(m): 2:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
undecided
Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by 11cows4sale(m): 2:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
don't knw what 2 say
Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Arsenate(m): 2:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
There are better commentators out there. I know I will be speaking for many if I suggest Femi and the gang. Those guys are so good I usually prefer to listen their commentary than even those of the sky sports guys.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by searay(m): 2:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
This op must be one of the Zombies

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
lalasticlala, did this op make any point?

he should just go look for a place and sleep

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
@blueto op i agree with you, yes we should patronize and uphold our own buh you'd also agree with me that the quality is lacking. When we watch matches from other leagues, then come back to watch ours, there's no telling that we have a long way to go.
It's not about the accent,or diction, bit's about how incisive and detailed the commentary is. Contemporary commentaries have gone from reporting the match to providing us with additional historical info and statistics. Our commentators are lazy to research and I'm ashamed to say that even the South Africans are our bosses in this aspect. Way to go Naija!

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
blueto:
The essence of this thread is to dissenter and refute the points raised by the Original Poster(OP) of this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3011016/why-nigerian-commentators-should-not , of why he believes and assents that Nigerian commentators should be barred from commenting during our international matches.

I want to use this medium to beseech the OP and Nigerians with similar mindsets to jettison Xenocentrism (the belief that products, styles, or ideas of one's country or society is inferior to those that are practised and originated elsewhere). This is why most Nigerians prefer the “alluring” commodities, ideologies and culture of foreigners above theirs.

The two points stated by the OP as to why he maintains the belief that Nigerian commentators should be thwarted from commenting are: The case of them being Subjective in their approach, and the display of incompetence and anomia (difficulty in finding the correct word to use).

The issue of them being subjective is universal, even the European commentators are also culpable of such attempt. I watched the Champions League Final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich and the commentators were obviously expressing their supports for the English team(Chelsea) by saying “Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!” anytime a Chelsea player scored during their penalty shoot out, since the full-time failed to produce the winner. If the British could not reprimand their commentators for being bias and subjective, then why should we reprimand ours?
You can watch the highlight here to answer for all skepticisms and inquisitions:

The issue of them display incompetence can be resolve via formulating policies such establishing a vocational institute for out current and potential commentators to acquire assiduous training on commenting exercise.

They should ditch the mindset of appointing commentators base on their ability of to talk much, and being profound in Sports. They should be thought and made to imbibe the valid mechanisms of commenting.

Here is an encouraging comment from a Nairalander:

Condemning ourselves is not a prerequisite for maintaining development.

you did not make any point

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by agbangam: 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
It is it is it is oh noooo tongue yeye commentator

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by karlriz(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Wrong Counter Thread..#No offence

The Europeans commentators you're using as reference in this context are farrrr ahead. Not lickin any ass here, jst stating d obvious.

You jst gonna like to hear them talk reason because along the way, they will keep you updated on some very interesting statistics, transfer rumors etc almost on all the players on the pitch down to the coaches of their respective clubs, unlike the local commentators here that atimes finds it difficult to even tell d name of a player who's currently holdin d ball on d pitch (happened even frm our last match against egypt) talkless of havin detailed records of individual players on d pitch. They bored us with "and then, and then, and then" mumbo jumbo trash all d time. It's simple, u wanna be respected as local commentator?..then kip urself updated on interesting facts (both past n present) of individual players on d pitch down 2d bench. Naija commentators shud up theiir game wen ever we are playing international matches.....and for the Love of Cain and Abel, they should work on their English!.#Peace

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by joey150(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
blueto:
the British could not reprimand their commentators for being bias and subjective, then why should we reprimand ours?

i guess the british should rewrite the 10 commandments for us again. They colonised you once..i guess your itching for another.. You want us to share in their flaws and not their success.

Seems they are now the new benchmark for whats wrong and whats right.
Mtchww!!!
For me if any Nigerian wants to commentate..good! But not somebody who wants to give commentary like he is in the beer parlour. Thats outright stupid.
We should strive to be better and stop looking for another failure to try and mask ours in.

Drops mic!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
LMAyedun:
Today is exactly one year that we voted in the party & the man that promised us Change. But within 10months, the promise of change is now a change of Promise. cry

Are you sure you are on the right thread , son?

This is a sports thread....not a politics thread.

To the OP....There are good Nigerian commentators on Super Sport.....so all hope is not lost..

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Goodnuel: 2:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
You know it's going to be an interesting game when you hear the names:

Jim Beglin and Jon Champion..

Commentary is an important part of the game and our Nigerian commentators must improve greatly.

This isn't about loyalty to where you come from, what is good is good.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by johnsonjosbles(m): 3:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
ogawisdom:

e be like say this Op no watch that match, that was comedy mehn.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by johnsonjosbles(m): 3:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
ogawisdom:

e be like say this Op no watch that match, that was a comedy mehn.
Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by sheunsheun(m): 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Op, u ain't making any sense. Football commentaries mks the game more lively nd intriguing. We dnt ve 2 settle for a dull football match all in the name of supporting our own. #naija commentators sucks undecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Trendy247: 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
That AIT commentator should be killed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by ebonge1: 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Lolzzzzzzz... U hear something lyk dis, super eagles here in kaduna to atonish dis faroas.

Commence : now mikel with d ball to ogbona ogbona forwards to musa

Musa tryi scale his way wit a sneak bite trick but
D ball as been sent out to corner..

John what can u say about musa's sneak bite?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by Rick9(m): 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Rubbish
Re: Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches by prinsam30: 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2016
all av gat to say is that, there is room for correction, nobody is above mistake, Nigerian commentators should step up, this is 21st century for goodness sake, I agree with the first OP buh the second OP need to understand that If ur not criticized, u can never learn.

Ask APC and PDP they will tell you how it is done, thanks, that's my 1cent Opinion

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Special Athletes Win Big At The Special Olympics Games In Usa..photos / FIFA Cancels U17, U20 Women’s World Cup / Who Will U Vote As Ur World Best Dis Yr: C. Ronaldo Or Who?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.