Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? (4245 Views)

South-African Fresh Shandis' School Fees Paid By A Stranger / South African,Egyptian Universities Dominate Africa's Top 30 Universities List / Nigerian Trained Lawyer Dazzles Ny Law School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by Koboland(f): 8:29pm On Feb 12, 2009
Can a South African trained Lawyer practice in Nigeria?
I mean in Nigeria Bar, since it is a commonwealth country

Sean pls post this on the main page it is very important for an urgent decision a friend has to make

Thanks
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by tpia: 2:33am On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by infomegaly(m): 8:56am On Feb 13, 2009
Koboland:

Can a South African trained Lawyer practice in Nigeria?
I mean in Nigeria Bar, since it is a commonwealth country

Sean pls post this on the main page it is very important for an urgent decision a friend has to make

Thanks

The answer is NO!! a south African trained Lawyer is not eligible to practice At the Nigerian BAR (even if south Africa is a commonwealth country) or more appropriatly common law jurisdiction
Under the LEGAL PRACTITIONER'S ACT cap.L11 Vol  LFN 2004 the Act provides for three categories of persons entitled to practice law in Nigeria

A person trained in South Africa must attend The Nigerian Law School and become a member of the Nigerian Bar association to qualify to practice in Nigeria.  (though there is a possible exemption from the course at the law school- but the criteria for exemption from attendance at the Law school is not easy to meet (the exercise of the councils power to waive the requirement is very exceptional under sction 2(a) & 2 (b) Legal Education (consolidation) Act 1976

critarial for exemption
1.  He is a Nigerian citizen

2.  He qualified to be admitted to the Law school

3   His qualifying subjects for admission to the Law school include allthe core subjects prescribed by the council of legal education

4   At the time he qualified to attend the Law school or reasonable time thereafter he lost the opportunity of doing so            for     reasons beyond his control.

note   THIS POWER IS VERY EXCEPTIONALLY EXCERCISED under the professional Bodies special provisions ACt 1972 and the professionl Bodies (Legal profession) exemption order 1973.      

if you/your friend have more questions on this or other law questions you can post it here
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by Koboland(f): 11:18am On Feb 13, 2009
Thanks to you all
Ps infomegaly does it mean that a Lawyer who is trained in South Africa will have to go through Undergraduate Law Studies in the University? Or do you mean the Part 1 Bar in Law School
After graduation from Law School in SA what is the next step if he must practice in Nigeria
I need professional advise on this Thanks
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by infomegaly(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2009
@koboland
      as a law graduate and law professional qualified in South Africa.

HE WILL HAVE TO ENROL FOR BAR PART ONE FIRST   AFTER COMPLETION  THEN (BAR FINALS)PART TWO AND PASS THE PRESCRIBED EXAMINATION TO QUALIFY BEFORE HE CAN QUALIFY TO BE ENROLLED AT THE SUPREME COURT AS A LEGAL PTRACTITIONER IN NIGERIA.

NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL [b]NOT UNDERGRADUATE STDY  NOTE; THE BEST TIME TO MAKE ENQUIRIES AND APPLY IS NOW!! YOU CAN FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR LAST YEAR ADDMISSION BELOW VISIT[
   http://www.mynlsportal.com      [b] FOR MORE INFORMATION AS THE 2009-2010 ADDMISSION MAY SOON COMENCE   ALL THE BEST      GOOD LUCK.

GENERAL INFORMATION CONCERNING APPLICATION FOR BAR PART I ADMISSION
Print, read and strictly follow these instructions in completing the application form         

Read through this instruction page carefully, then click on Admissions and select Bar Part I.
Follow the steps, complete and submit the online application form.
Print a copy of your submitted online form and keep for reference.
Download and print blank copies of Forms A2, B, B1 & B2.
Complete printed copy of Form A2, and take for endorsement before a Commissioner for Oaths or Notary Public as the case may be.
Submit Form B (Faculty Ref. Form) to the Dean of your Law Faculty, who is to complete Form B, and return to the Law School.   
Downloaded copies of Employer’s Reference, Forms B1 and Letter of Release, Form B2 are to be completed by the applicant’s employer if he/she has been in regular employment for a period of not less than one year immediately preceding the time of application, and in any other case by his/her employer to whom he/she has given at least one of continued service, and forwarded as indicated in the form.                 
Each Application should be accompanied by the following documents:
LAW DEGREE CERTIFICATE
A photocopy of Qualifying Degree Certificate, this means a Degree in Law or a Mixed Degree in Law of a University in Common Law Country whose course of study is approved by the Council of Legal Education. In this regard, it should be noted that a Law Degree obtained through study fully or partly as an External candidate of a University or Law School is not acceptable for admission purposes.  Also not acceptable are degrees obtained through Part-time studies or distance learning.  Where the Degree is obtained from a University in the United States of America, the Law School must be accredited to the Association of American Law Schools or the American Bar Association. In all cases, the Law subjects taken must include the Law of Contract, the Law of Tort, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Land Law, Equity and Trusts, the Law of Evidence, Commercial Law and Jurisprudence. Each of these subjects must have been studied and passed as a separate subject. Where a Qualifying Degree Certificate has not yet been issued, satisfactory evidence of passing the appropriate examination must be attached. Where the final examination for the Qualifying Degree Certificate is to be taken in the year of the application, the Nigerian Law School will only entertain the application subject to the candidate satisfying the Qualifying Degree requirement not later than a month preceding the commencement of the course.

NOTE:   Those who studied in Non-Common Law countries are not eligible for this course.

ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT
The Registrar of your University should be asked by you to forward direct to the School, the transcript of your Qualifying Degree showing the subjects taken and the grade obtained in each subject. The transcript should be signed by the Registrar. It is emphasised for the avoidance of doubt, that no student will be offered admission to undertake the Bar Part I course without a transcript, authenticated by the Registrar of his/her University or Institution.

NOTE:   If applicant has studied in more than one University for the Law Degree Programme, Transcript from both Universities must be received.

CLOSING DATE OF APPLICATIONS FOR ADMISSION AND REFERNCES:
All application forms together with references on applicants must be completed and returned to reach the office of (Secretary to the Council of Legal Education/Director of Administration, NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL, HEADQUARTERS, BWARI, P.M.B 170, GARKI, ABUJA, NIGERIA) not later than May 2nd, 2008. It is the duty of applicants to ensure their referees comply with this date. Applications and references received later than the deadline stipulated will not be entertained.

AN APPLICANT’S FORM WILL ONLY BE PROCESSED FOR ADMISSION IF AND ONLY IF THE UNDERLISTED ARE RECEIVED:

Law Degree Certificate.
Official Academic Transcript signed by the Institution’s authorized signatory.
Duly completed and stamped Faculty Reference Form B which must be completed by the Dean or Head of Faculty of Law of the Institution and forwarded directly to the Nigerian Law School.
Duly completed and stamped Employer’s Reference, Form B1 and Letter of Release, Form B2 (where applicable). These must be forwarded directly to the Nigerian Law School.
Two recent Passport size photographs of the applicant.
CHECKING ADMISSION STATUS
Applicants are advised to check their admission status on the portal from May 15, 2008.

HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION
Accommodation shall be provided for all Students for the duration of the course and each room is shared. Allocation of the available spaces in the School’s hostel will be made at the beginning of the programme to all registered students. Under no circumstance will any one be allowed into the hostel before allocation. Students are to arrange for their own curtains, linen and laundry. Accommodation fee is a component of School fees, and is non-refundable.

COMMENCEMENT OF SESSION
The session will commence on June 16th, 2008. All students are expected to have completed online payment of school fees and filled online Registration Form before reporting to the school. The training course at the Law School is full-time. No student is allowed to undertake any gainful or other form of employment or business during the course. A breach of this rule will lead to expulsion from the School and may result in a permanent disqualification for admission. Students in gainful employment or business are advised to obtain leave of absence/study leave from their employers before the commencement of the course.

MAKING YOUR APPLICATION
Multiple applications will jeopardize your chances for admission.
Please do not proceed with the application if you have already made a previous on-line application.
Please note your "APPLICATION NUMBER" carefully. This uniquely identifies your application and must be used subsequently for identification (login) and to resume any unfinished application.
Your application must be accompanied by a clear scanned photograph of yourself (Full face frontal poses with both eyes visible, without any glasses, head or ear covering. The full face pose must cover 70-80% of the photo. Your photo must be scanned at a minimum resolution of 100x100dpi and a maximum resolution of 150x150dpi. Picture can be saved in any of the following formats: JPEG, PNG or Bitmap). Please note that you will be disqualified if your picture does not meet the above specification.
Please store your scratch card safely as you will always need it to continue a saved application.
After submitting your application online, ensure that you print a copy of the application for your records.

Correcting an online application
Once your application has been submitted (accomplished by hitting the 'submit' button at the end of the form), you cannot make corrections to it online. Please review your application carefully before you submit.
Be sure to print a copy of the application for your records.

Application Issues
If you have any problems during your application process contact the support staff for help if you are applying from a digital centre. Otherwise send your details by mail to the helpdesk
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by babeface3: 4:53pm On Feb 13, 2009
Point of correction here, South Africa is not a commonwealth country. They have what is called continental law and not common law. This folk may find it utterly hard to enrol in Nigerian Law school. Of course, he cant practice law here. An indian friend that is a full lawyer from a university in Honkong found herself utterlly hopeless here. My law firm that is even owned by South Africa could not take her
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by infomegaly(m): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2009
babeface3:

Point of correction here, South Africa is not a commonwealth country. They have what is called continental law and not common law. This folk may find it utterly hard to enrol in Nigerian Law school. Of course, he cant practice law here. An indian friend that is a full lawyer from a university in Honkong found herself utterlly hopeless here. My law firm that is even owned by South Africa could not take her
OK!!babeface very well then.     South Africa  follow Roman Dutch law    Roman-Dutch jurisdictional rules IT IS actualy civil law  it is also sometimes known as Continental European law. MY  FURTHER RESEARCH SHOWS THAT  suoth africa  practices An amalgam of English common law and Roman-Dutch civil law as well as Customary Law. acceptance by the law school in nigeria is then a matter of further enquiries at the nigerian law school because of the copmmon law element in south african law system
\

if that fails then plan B!!

enrol for LLB (graduate route) university of london external system graduate route is just TWO YEARS!!  after that you seek admission to the nigerian law school. at least that option is better than another five years in a nigerian univeVrsity reading lawall over.
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by Koboland(f): 1:15pm On Feb 14, 2009
infomegaly:

if that fails then plan B!!

enrol for LLB (graduate route) university of london external system graduate route is just TWO YEARS!! after that you seek admission to the nigerian law school. at least that option is better than another five years in a nigerian univeVrsity reading lawall over.

How can One Apply for the University of London External System Graduate?
Is is an online course?
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by infomegaly(m): 6:02pm On Feb 14, 2009
Koboland:

How can One Apply for the University of London External System Graduate?
Is is an online course?

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/ it is refered to as EXTERNAL PROGRAM/SYSTEM THOUGH WITH ONLINE RESOURCES I KNOW THE THEIR LL.B TO BE THE BEST AND MOST RECORGNISED OF ALL DISTANT PROGRAMS. i am interested in second degree with them so i have done my research. Good luck.
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by babeface3: 1:04pm On Feb 17, 2009
Bros the fees for this programme is too much. is it not better one goes to UK to for spending this sort of money?
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by tpia: 7:11pm On Feb 17, 2009
babeface3:

Bros the fees for this programme is too much. is it not better one goes to UK to for spending this sort of money?

probably.
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by infomegaly(m): 8:17pm On Feb 25, 2009
babeface3:

NO. IT IS FAR CHEAPER. VERY VERY CHEAP.
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by date4real: 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2009
Hi Guys. I am seriously considering the university of london external LLB degree. The question is that, does the Nigerian Law school accept this qualification for admission purposes? This is because from the website it is stated that it accepts an LLB degree only attained via a full-time program.

Would appreciate responses.
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by Confused10: 3:29pm On Nov 22, 2009
Hello All,

I was just wondering whether anyone knows whether the Nigerian law school accepts a B.A in law or does it have to be a LLB. I have a B.A in Economics, Politics and Law, I have my entrance soliitors exams done in Ireland and I am currently studing a LLM. I have all the stipulated law subjects needed by the Nigerian law society done and I have even done the majority of these topics done twice, once for my undergraduate and then again for my entrance soliitors exams. The only subject I have not done is commercial. I was wondering whether my qualifications would be sufficient in order to enter law school.

Any advice, anyone could give me please would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Can A South African Trained Lawyer Practice In Nigeria? by davidif: 4:30am On Dec 27, 2016
infomegaly:
The answer is NO!! a south African trained Lawyer is not eligible to practice At the Nigerian BAR (even if south Africa is a commonwealth country) or more appropriatly common law jurisdiction
Under the LEGAL PRACTITIONER'S ACT cap.L11 Vol  LFN 2004 the Act provides for three categories of persons entitled to practice law in Nigeria

A person trained in South Africa must attend The Nigerian Law School and become a member of the Nigerian Bar association to qualify to practice in Nigeria.  (though there is a possible exemption from the course at the law school- but the criteria for exemption from attendance at the Law school is not easy to meet (the exercise of the councils power to waive the requirement is very exceptional under sction 2(a) & 2 (b) Legal Education (consolidation) Act 1976

critarial for exemption
1.  He is a Nigerian citizen

2.  He qualified to be admitted to the Law school

3   His qualifying subjects for admission to the Law school include allthe core subjects prescribed by the council of legal education

4   At the time he qualified to attend the Law school or reasonable time thereafter he lost the opportunity of doing so            for     reasons beyond his control.

note   THIS POWER IS VERY EXCEPTIONALLY EXCERCISED under the professional Bodies special provisions ACt 1972 and the professionl Bodies (Legal profession) exemption order 1973.      

if you/your friend have more questions on this or other law questions you can post it here

They should make it easier for one who practiced in a different country to be able to seat for and get the accreditation to practice law in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Solved Further Mathematics Text For Students And University Students / 5 Things You Won't Believe You Never Knew / Man Was Caught On Camera Masturbating Near Ribadu Girl's Hostel ABU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.