Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,790 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC (1009 Views)

Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku / BREAKING: Amosun Sacks OGBC, OGTV General Managers / Arthur Jarvis University-1st Private University In Cross River State Under Const (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Sirniyeh(m): 9:22am On May 24, 2015
9am Sunday Morning Live on OGTV 90.5 fm today. The question was for how to advise President-elect, General Buhari on how to restore Nigeria in all ramifications.

Quite number of people phoned and made reasonable contributions. One man advised Buhari to declare state of emergency on NNPC.

But most touching of it all is one Professor advising Buhari to scrap House of Representative as it is a source of wasting resources. He further suggested that Constituency Allowance for the Senators should be abolished a well.

Nigerians, what is your view on this?
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by valarmorghulis: 9:26am On May 24, 2015
seconded
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by mandhi(m): 9:31am On May 24, 2015
Am not sure, abolishing NASS is the solution.
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Sirniyeh(m): 9:43am On May 24, 2015
mandhi:
Am not sure, abolishing NASS is the solution.

Please explain to me: what is House of representative doing different from Senate?

We waste resources a lot in this country. The money NASS consumes every year is almost 25% of the budget.

Tell me more

1 Like

Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Nobody: 9:45am On May 24, 2015
If I had my way, there will only be two political parties and a singular election for all elective posts.

I will scrap the house of Reps leaving only the Senate. With Senators doubling as executives within their senatorial zones. Senators will convene in Abuja at stipulated intervals on the calling of the Senate President or the President of the federation. The office of Governors and LGA chairmen will be scrapped. Your legislators will serve as both your administrators and law men and the Senatorial zone will reduced to a LGA. Council members will be elected to serve the same function as state assemblies i.e. to check the activities of their senators.

The party with the highest votes across the federation will automatically produce the president.

No more wasteful legislators and thieving governors and the Senators will live and work among their people with no immunity clause to protect them.

2 Likes

Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by PentiumPro(f): 9:46am On May 24, 2015
The amount of money squander to pampering the legislators is honestly a call for concern. Nigerians cannot in all honestly continue to think we can afford to indulge the finiacial excesses of these set of politicians, that is the reality.

1 Like

Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Pavore9: 9:47am On May 24, 2015
The excessive allocation should be looked into.
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Nobody: 10:00am On May 24, 2015
PentiumPro:
The amount of money squander to pampering the legislators is honestly a call for concern. Nigerians cannot in all honestly continue to think we can afford to indulge the finiacial excesses of these set of politicians, that is the reality.

Aliyu Babangida boasted that he will contest for the presidency in 2019 and that he will go to the Senate to " relax" for the next 4 years.

These ediots run to Abuja to hide from their people after squandering the state resources.

The National Assembly is a joke

1 Like

Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by PentiumPro(f): 10:02am On May 24, 2015
BackDatAssUp:

Aliyu Babangida boasted that he will contest for the presidency in 2019 and that he will go to the Senate to " relax" for the next 4 years.

These ediots run to Abuja to hide from their people after squandering the state resources.

Aliyu Babangida is one opportunist ! I never take him serious from onset.
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Sirniyeh(m): 10:39am On May 24, 2015
PentiumPro:

Aliyu Babangida is one opportunist ! I never take him serious from onset.

Watchout for what becomes his fate after May 29. Aliyu is one of the Northern criminals that have all eyes on
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by mikolo80: 11:20am On May 24, 2015
Sirniyeh:

Please explain to me: what is House of representative doing different from Senate?

We waste resources a lot in this country. The money NASS consumes every year is almost 25% of the budget.

Tell me more
Senate frugal representation

HOR proportional rep
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by mikolo80: 11:23am On May 24, 2015
BackDatAssUp:
If I had my way, there will only be two political parties and a singular election for all elective posts.

I will scrap the house of Reps leaving only the Senate. With Senators doubling as executives within their senatorial zones. Senators will convene in Abuja at stipulated intervals on the calling of the Senate President or the President of the federation. The office of Governors and LGA chairmen will be scrapped. Your legislators will serve as both your administrators and law men and the Senatorial zone will reduced to a LGA. Council members will be elected to serve the same function as state assemblies i.e. to check the activities of their senators.

The party with the highest votes across the federation will automatically produce the president.

No more wasteful legislators and thieving governors and the Senators will live and work among their people with no immunity clause to protect them.
Good soup na money kill am. But no matter how much money you spend if the cook no sabi he no sabi. Nigerians will Bastardise any system.we are simply not blessed with good leaders or followers for that matter
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by mikolo80: 11:24am On May 24, 2015
BackDatAssUp:

The people no know wher dem de enter abuja motor.besides what were the people looking at for 8years
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by mikolo80: 11:26am On May 24, 2015
Pavore9:
The excessive allocation should be looked into.
No be the masses de go beg dem to share d resources/allocation.?
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by Sirniyeh(m): 12:07pm On May 24, 2015
mikolo80:
No be the masses de go beg dem to share d resources/allocation.?

Sure?
Re: Scrap House Of Rep, Abolish Senate Const. Allowance - Prof On OGBC by mandhi(m): 6:51pm On May 27, 2015
Sirniyeh:

Tell me more
I concur with you that both house of reps and senate perform same function, but it has always been like that right from during the colonial period, budget during period did not sky rocket high as the NASS consuming 25% of the total budget.
Am not saying scrapping either house isn't a solution. But before we come to the option of scrapping them let's take actions like, eliminating ghost workers, collection of pension of the dead, eliminating ministries dat are duplicate of each other, down sizing aids and advisers of the these politicians in NASS,and cutting down their wages. If we exorst all avenue if reducing re current cost and it's still above 60%. Then maybe we begin to talk about scrapping one department.
They have their advantages. Its unfortunate they abused the advantage and made it the Nigerian dream, instead of a call to serve the nation.
GOD Bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Releases N5b To Buy Stoves For Northern Rural Women / Three Trekkers For Atiku Stranded In Yola, Can't Return Home! / Fayose Set To Probe Fayemi Over Alleged N4.1billion Diversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.