Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,292 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice (959 Views)

Dilapidated Pictures Of NYSC Accommodation In Bauchi Camp / Corpers' Protest At Government House In Bayelsa Over Non Payment Of Allowance / Ebonyi State Slashes Monthly Allowance Of Corper Doctors From N130k To N15k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by Nobody: 11:46am On May 24, 2015
Happy Sunday all. I would appreciate if lawyers or intelligent folks in the house can give their candid opinion on this matter.

The issue borders on the non payment of state allowance to the two batches that have passed out from a state in the South-West. The facts of the matter are as follows:

1. In the posting letter given to the ex-Corps members, it is explicitly stated that they are entitled to a monthly stipend to conver house rent, transportation, etc in sum of N5,000

2. For reasons best known to the state, the amount, which sums up to N50,000 (for 10 months), is not not paid till the end of service year.

3. Two batches (2013 Batch C & 2014 Batch A) have not been paid. They may never be paid.

4. The state promised to pay them but no affirmative action was taken till all the ex-Corpers left for their respective states/homes.

5. If the trend continues, future Corps members posted to the state may never be paid. Meanwhile, their posting letter will still carry the promise of the payment.

Given this few basic information, can a court action be instituted against the state?

If yes, how? If no, why?

How can a future occurrence of this sad situation be prevented?

I need mature and intelligent contributions please. Your opinion may just save a life or two in the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by Nobody: 11:47am On May 24, 2015
CC: seun lalasticlala
Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by 7footre(m): 11:48am On May 24, 2015
Bro why not just forget this mad people and forge ahead with life. In time 50k wouldn't sound like much money

1 Like

Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 24, 2015
7footre:
Bro why not just forget this mad people and forge ahead with life. In time 50k wouldn't sound like much money

Should all the state and federal workers who are being owed their salaries just forget the money and forge ahead?

Am more concerned with the legal & ethical aspect of this issue. Not with the emotional aspect.

1 Like

Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by GogetterMD(m): 12:10pm On May 24, 2015
This must be Osun state

1 Like

Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by mutiply: 12:35pm On May 24, 2015
Ondo state
Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by 7footre(m): 2:45pm On May 24, 2015
Martins301:

Should all the state and federal workers who are being owed their salaries just forget the money and forge ahead?

Am more concerned with the legal & ethical aspect of this issue. Not with the emotional aspect.
Cool. Yours is a one off payment though, rivers is owing me 110 buh hey can't let that hold me back.... then again diff strokes for diff strokes hope you find what you seek
Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 24, 2015
7footre:

Cool. Yours is a one off payment though, rivers is owing me 110 buh hey can't let that hold me back.... then again diff strokes for diff strokes hope you find what you seek

Our government are just too insincere and we the people are sometimes too timid to take action against them. Makes me remember a line from M.I's song Epic. He said:

If we don't bring the change, and stay the way it is, who said we're scared to die? We're really scared to live.
Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by 7footre(m): 9:26pm On May 24, 2015
[quote author=Martins301 post=34059061]

Our government are just too insincere and we the people are sometimes too timid to take action against them.
Goodluck with your very bold actions. Your gonna need it!
Re: Non Payment Of NYSC State Allowance: Lawyers Please Advice by irepmyuniben: 5:18am On May 25, 2015
There are two legislations the court will look at to consider the enforceability of your action. THE NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORPS ACT. NYSC BYELAWS. THE NYSC ACT is a federal legislation and we expect the federal government to cater for the needs of the corps members in that respect. However the ACT established The State Governing Board who shall be responsible
for-
a. arranging and providing accommodation,
boarding, transportation, and providing other
facilities which are essential for the welfare of
members of the service corps and for the success
of the scheme in the State. The Same Act only imposes a minimum of 500,000naira on the State Governor and Chairman of the FCT to enable it cater
adequately for the welfare needs of corps
members deployed to the State. THE LAW IS SILENT ON STATE ALLOWANCE. In the literary interpretation of the Law, it is not mandatory but a mere discretionary intervention. Your posting letter to your various places of primary assignment is addressed to the head of that institution and not to the Governor.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BATCH B 2015 Group! / When Are We Passing Out? / Solution To U-report Text Wahala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.