Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Marvel Comic Book Thread - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Marvel Comic Book Thread (2782 Views)

MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) / Favourite Comic Book Characters / Please Where Can I Buy Any Comic Book In Anambra State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 24, 2015
Let's discourse everything Marvel related here. From favourite characters to what series you're currently reading. As for movie related content... https://www.nairaland.com/2197531/marvel-cinmatic-universe

Cc. moneyallowed cao Mrdojo sage1000 SIRcumalot rapmike

Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 8:16pm On May 24, 2015
Awesome...following! Don't know what happened, i can't comment in the movie thread
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 24, 2015
moneyallowed:
Awesome...following! Don't know what happened, i can't comment in the movie thread

I noticed you were banned. Probably antispam bot algorithm problems because of your lengthy posts. Try mailing the mods.
[size=1pt]logging out and logging back in after a while has worked for me before.[/size]
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 8:20pm On May 24, 2015
Jane Foster as Thor...honestly when they said it'd be a female all the signs pointed to her, with the cancer and Thor leaving, it made the most sense. Haven't read the issue yet, why does it suck DProDG?
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 8:22pm On May 24, 2015
DProDG:

I noticed you were banned. Probably antispam bot algorithm problems because of your lengthy posts. Try mailing the mods.
[size=1pt]logging out and logging back in after a while has worked for me before.[/size]
Thanks, lesson learnt. Was only trying to help, someone complained about links, that we could just copy and paste instead
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 24, 2015
moneyallowed:
Jane Foster as Thor...honestly when they said it'd be a female all the signs pointed to her, with the cancer and Thor leaving, it made the most sense. Haven't read the issue yet, why does it suck DProDG?

The story at large was not as interesting and the writing(imo) was sometimes 'lame'(referring to Thor Vol 4 #1-8 where 'she' Thor came in).
The series started with Thor God of Thunder with Thor vs Gorr, the God butcher. I personally loved the whole story and the Gorr character so I'm pretty much comparing them.

As for JF being Thor, apart from the fanboyism(Thor Odinson* is one of my favs), didn't like the whole 'girl power' motive behind it. It wasn't necessary and seemed forced.

Btw, you might have noticed that I'm usually critical, so I guess it didn't really "suck".

(Absorbing Man's dialogue was pretty much a way of mocking fans that had my view)

Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by sage1000: 8:49pm On May 24, 2015
Okay not really following marvel comics since I like continuity a lot in my comics and with d history and weight behind most of their comics I can't get into it. Might start picking more up wen dey finish dis reboot they have going with secret wars.

I basically follow d fringe characters that are new. Miss marvel and spider Gwen are awesome. Two of my favorite characters. Matt fraccion run of Hawkeye was really cool and superior foes of Spiderman is easily d funniest comic book series I've read. Was following Miles Morales till I heard ultimate universe was coming to an end. The early ultimates series were great. Vol1&2 only and ultimate Spiderman. All new xmen too was alright till it had one too many crossovers.

that is about the sum of my marvel experience with comics. If u can recommend a great series from them I can read without needing to know anything about d characters or any history and isn't all connected with d main universe I'd appreciate it.
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 24, 2015
sage1000:
If u can recommend a great series from them I can read without needing to know anything about d characters or any history and isn't all connected with d main universe I'd appreciate it.

I usually buy torrent the whole event(all tie-ins and main issues) at once. If it isn't prearranged chronologically it usually comes with a 'checklist'. The issues contain everything you need to know so there's never a problem with continuity. I just started reading Fear Itself. It's got so many issues in it but great so far.
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by johnydon22(m): 9:48pm On May 24, 2015
please someone give me a link to read interesting marvel comics or where to download the pdf books...
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by menesheh(m): 10:09pm On May 24, 2015
johnydon22:
thanks bro

Don't mention
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by sage1000: 10:16pm On May 24, 2015
DProDG:

I usually buy torrent the whole event(all tie-ins and main issues) at once. If it isn't prearranged chronologically it usually comes with a 'checklist'. The issues contain everything you need to know so there's never a problem with continuity. I just started reading Fear Itself. It's got so many issues in it but great so far.

That is my issue with marvel, most of their events build on past events or require u to hav knowledge of it. Its not a problem for dc as I've been following Dem since d start of n52 so I understand everything going on and know all characters involved.
so I'm usually stuck reading characters not involved in marvel continuity or have very little history or connection to it. Its does kinds of comics in looking for in marvel
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 24, 2015
johnydon22:
please someone give me a link to read interesting marvel comics or where to download the pdf books...

I either torrent from www.kat.cr or watch them on Youtube channels like House of RM™ or Brandon Hex. If you're new to comics I'll suggest the Annihilation event. It's got 'space stuff' which you're psyched about. grin
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by johnydon22(m): 10:19pm On May 24, 2015
DProDG:

I either torrent from www.kat.cr or watch them on Youtube channels like House of RM™ or Brandon Hex. If you're new to comics I'll suggest the Annihilation event. It's got 'space stuff' which you're psyched about. grin
I read comics but mainly avatar last airbender comic. have finished the triology like 10times over grin ... I think m gonna like the annihilation wink
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 8:00am On May 25, 2015
sage1000:
If u can recommend a great series from them I can read without needing to know anything about d characters or any history and isn't all connected with d main universe I'd appreciate it.
I feel you bro, the cross overs and "connectedness" can get confusing. It's why i don't like the X-men comics as much. I agree with you about Hawkeye, one of my favs.
I'd recommend Dr Strange: The Oath, it's pretty much in it's own universe, has a horror feel to it i like. Daredevil: Born Again is awesome, so much more than your typical fight fest. Basically Matt gets betrayed and he suffers, he really suffers.
Infinity Gauntlet....if you want a Thanos intro, look no further. It's pretty much standalone so that's a plus, and it'll prep you the most for the mcu.
Black Panther: The Client Vol 3 . This is essential man, i have friends who had no idea about BP, but after reading this, he became their fav superhero and it's just 5 issues so you'll be done with it in no time.

Planet Hulk....this is the most epic Hulk storyline and it's also the most self contained. From the title sef you should know.
Finally The Inhumans.....this got me into the Marvel Knights series. There is no better introduction to Marvel's royal family than this. Once again, self contained

1 Like

Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by cao(f): 8:47am On May 25, 2015
I've actually stopped actively reading Marvel Comics - X-Men was my poison & the occasional Spidey, I basically stick to contained limited runs now. Started reading more independent comics - Millarworld (Mark Millar - Kick-Ass, Super Crooks etc), the current one I'm reading is Thief of Thieves by Robert Kirkman. At some point, I'll finish Irredeemable (superhero turned supervillain).
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by SIRcumalot: 11:33am On May 25, 2015
I haven't read anything new apart from death of wolverine which was alright. Not as interesting as the title suggested.
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by sage1000: 1:25pm On May 26, 2015
moneyallowed:

I feel you bro, the cross overs and "connectedness" can get confusing. It's why i don't like the X-men comics as much. I agree with you about Hawkeye, one of my favs.
I'd recommend Dr Strange: The Oath, it's pretty much in it's own universe, has a horror feel to it i like. Daredevil: Born Again is awesome, so much more than your typical fight fest. Basically Matt gets betrayed and he suffers, he really suffers.
Infinity Gauntlet....if you want a Thanos intro, look no further. It's pretty much standalone so that's a plus, and it'll prep you the most for the mcu.
Black Panther: The Client Vol 3 . This is essential man, i have friends who had no idea about BP, but after reading this, he became their fav superhero and it's just 5 issues so you'll be done with it in no time.

Planet Hulk....this is the most epic Hulk storyline and it's also the most self contained. From the title sef you should know.
Finally The Inhumans.....this got me into the Marvel Knights series. There is no better introduction to Marvel's royal family than this. Once again, self contained

Thanks a lot really appreciate some of the recs. I'm getting the Black panther and Dr Strange. For the Inhumans where do you reccomend I start from, is the current Charles soule run?
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 3:00pm On May 26, 2015
sage1000:

Thanks a lot really appreciate some of the recs. I'm getting the Black panther and Dr Strange. For the Inhumans where do you reccomend I start from, is the current Charles soule run?
Soule's run is cool but only one issue is out so far. Get The Inhumans...the one from the Marvel Knights series. That's the best imo
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by sage1000: 2:20am On May 27, 2015
Just finished that run and it was awesome, a definite rec to anyone. Now that I'm done with that which of the other volumes are equally good, I don't want to spoil my present image of them with some terrible storylines. That kind of thing tends to ruin franchises for me.
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 31, 2015
Can anyone tell me why the mutants are treated differently from the other heroes. Is there a particular reason or is it one of those things that we just go with, 'cause it doesn't make sense to me.

Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 8:36pm On Jun 01, 2015
If i'm getting you right DProDG, you're asking why mutants suffer discrimination. In the comic world, you can thank the villains for that, Magneto & Bolivar Trask, especially Trask. He's made it his life's mission to paint the Xmen in as bad a light as possible. Magneto hasn't helped either. Add the fact that while other heroes have different things responsible for their powers, mutants have only genes. That makes them easy to blame
In the real world, the whole mutant thing was an allegory for racism and discrimination, Marvel used them to highlight those issues and it influenced their creative decision to always potray mutants as a persecuted species.

1 Like

Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 8:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 01, 2015
@ moneyallowed

The thing is that there's no way for the public(in the comics) to differentiate mutants from other superheroes, unless they are already notorious, eg Wolverine; so I guess that's it.

As for the line-up poster, some dude in the comments mentioned that it might be because of the MCU vs Fox. Seems like they want to pressure Fox to give up their rights. Sounds like BS and I hope their business doesn't fvck up my comics or movies! angry
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 3:35pm On Jun 02, 2015
DProDG:
@ moneyallowed

The thing is that there's no way for the public(in the comics) to differentiate mutants from other superheroes, unless they are already notorious, eg Wolverine; so I guess that's it.

As for the line-up poster, some dude in the comments mentioned that it might be because of the MCU vs Fox. Seems like they want to pressure Fox to give up their rights. Sounds like BS and I hope their business doesn't fvck up my comics or movies! angry
I'm very happy with this. Never liked Xmen all that much, they take up too much space & steal the spotlight when they appear in crossover, and their comic lines are the most guilty of continuity issues. All the annoying alternate reality stuff that messed up marvel comics for me always begins with them, the worst was House of M. Now that Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver are no longer mutants i guess they'll be spared. Wolverine is dead finally. The only ones i'll miss are Hope Summers & Cable. And Deadpool, how i love Deadpool, they didn't have to kill him off. The rest can jet off into space & get sucked into a wormhole for all i care. I can't even muster the energy to talk about Fantastic Four. Only their villains are worth any damn; Dr Doom, Kang the Conqueror, and Galactus. Those guys will still around, with Silver Surfer. Well maybe i can be bothered after all, if i were writing this arc i'd use Reed Richards' curiosity to lead the first family to their "Doom" lol; they go treasure hunting in Antartica and get buried in the ice, perfectly preserved like Cap until when Fox hands over the rights in 50 years time. Then i'll make the volcanoes from the Savage Land spill over, terraforming the planet and when earth's mightiest heroes come to save the earth from extinction they discover.....the long lost Fantastic Four. Viola! cheesy
Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by SIRcumalot: 6:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
@moneyallowed
House of M was awesome and the avengers featured in the series, haven't you ever wondered what will happen if the minorities rule the world ?
I don't really think wolverine is dead that is just cryogenic sleep with liquid adamantium he'll be back
I'll be surprised if fox return the rights to the X men they are making money from it and the fans like it.
I personally liked the last spiderman movies and it did well commercially don' t know why sony returned the rights.

1 Like

Re: Marvel Comic Book Thread by moneyallowed(m): 9:01am On Jun 05, 2015
Seems like we're getting a new Hulk from Secret Wars.
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/06/first-details-on-all-new-all-different-rebooted-marvel-universe.html

Oh and a female Wolverine! That's almost certainly X-23 taking up her "father's" mantle

(1) (Reply)

The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize / Missionless Trip.(hot Action Story) / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.