Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,504 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

My Solar Power Story - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Solar Power Story (5991 Views)

Morocco Launches Solar Thermal Plant Set To Be World Largest Solar Power Station / Solar Power Bank For Sale At A Reasonable Amount. / We Buy Dead Batteries 4 Inverter/solar Power/trailer @best Prices 08030978357 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Solar Power Story by Offgrid: 1:28pm On May 25, 2015
Solar Power System 101
My Solar Power Story
I managed to get a solar power system installed in Delta State but it was a
nightmare doing it due to all the charlatans at the time, the extreme paucity of data on available
systems and the fairly typical scenario of people arguing with you on what needed to be done even
though they were patently incorrect. I however, managed to complete the system and met some
really good people along the way. I got a number of solar panels and batteries from “EU Trading” in
Alaba Electronics Market (08037151711) whom I paid and he arranged for it to be transported from
Alaba to Delta State. The dude was very helpful and trustworthy throughout and the system has
been in use for about 2 years with no real issues. He didn't give me much of a discount at the time
but compared to the prices I’d seen elsewhere, it was quite fair. The electrician used was based in
Lagos but vetted by family and was very knowledgeable and reliable. The welder used was local
and was given installation specifications by the electrician.
The major equipment highlighted below display the progression from Solar Panels to actual Power
Supply.

Solar Panel —> Charge controller —> Battery —> Inverter —> Power Supply

Considerations For Specifying Solar Power System
There’s no getting away from the fact that the CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) or upfront costs for a
solar power system for powering a whole house (+/- AC’s) are scary compared to the upfront costs
for an equivalent diesel generator. However, a solar system comes into its own over the course of
the first year or so of ownership, as the running costs of a solar power system are near enough to
zero. So if you can afford the high upfront costs for it or can get a loan with a not so high interest
rate then you’re in business.
The next thing to note is that the efficiency of solar panels are not immense and range from about
11% at the low end to up to 20% (However, the energy is free mate so what more do you want!).
This means you need a fairly large surface area to generate sufficient power, but most rooftops will
be sufficient for single dwelling usage.
You also need to ensure the solar panels bought are suitable for for the intense heat we
experience in Nigeria.

Equipment Required
Unit Quantity Source
Upto 250W solar panel depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading
Alaba), Konga, Jumia
Solar Panel Support Rack depends on system Local Welder (dimensions to
hold panels)
Upto 200Ah Deep-Cycle depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading
Battery Alaba), Konga / Jumia / battery
shop (avoid car or large truck
batteries which are cheaper
but dangerous and completely
unsuitable - they will die quick,
and may attempt to take you
with them!)
Inverter depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading Alaba),
Konga, Jumia
Battery Support Frame depends on system Local Welder (dimensions to
hold batteries)
Charge controller depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading
Alaba), Konga, Jumia
Cable Bundle depends on system Electrician will sort this out except
you order an integrated unit
RCD Socket depends on system Electrician will sort this out except
Connectors, fuses and depends on system These should come with the
terminals purchased units
Digital multi meter depends on system These should come with the
purchased units (especially
inverter)

You can also gradually build up the solar power system you want by adding components as you
get the funds. So initially buy an expandable charge controller and a suitably sized inverter
(although this can be replaced with a larger sized inverter later so long as you can sell the used
version for a good price). Remember, the solar panels need to be connected in parallel (and must
be the same voltage as the inverter i.e. 12V or 24V) and you need an even number of deep cycle
batteries.
Also note that once installed it’ll probably be a good idea to let the system charge up over at least
one or two good days of sunlight prior to using it.
If you also have the funds it may be a good idea getting an integrated unit (confirm all the above
components are included) from one of the major suppliers (check Jumia), whom will also install it
especially if in Lagos. They will also install in other states but may charge extra.

Solar panel
The number of panels you source depends first and foremost on the depths of your pockets, then
on the amount of appliances you need to power (and length of time you want to power them), then
on the space you have available (where there’s unobstructed sunlight).

Comparison of Solar Panel Efficiencies
Reference: http://sroeco.com/solar/most-efficient-solar-panels
Reference: http://www.maplin.co.uk/

The specific voltage, amperage and power of the system determine how the panels are connected.
Smaller systems connect a single series to a single inverter, while larger systems connect several
parallel series into a single inverter. The largest systems may require multiple series into multiple
inverters. Shading and panel positioning can also influence the design of the wiring.
The DC wiring from the panels on the roof needs to enter the property in order to be connected to
the electrics in your home. In some cases this may be achieved via a hole is made within the wall
which is then sealed to ensure it is watertight.
Once the wiring has reached the inside of the property, the rooftop section of the installation is
complete.
Typical cost from 20,000Naira for 100W
Typical cost from 80,000Naira for 250W

Solar Panel Rack/Roof Mountings/Anchors
Ideally your panels will be installed in a location where they will experience uninterrupted sunlight.
So the most likely places will be on the roof, water tank or if you’ve got a large garden, there. You’d
also need to make sure it is fixed securely via a metal frame. Also make sure that metal frame will
not start rusting anytime soon, non-corroding but strong materials will be good e.g. aluminium or
steel, however, this will likely be very expensive, so make sure the metal is painted properly.
Likely costs of solar frame installation from 15,000Naira

Deep cycle battery
Typically 100Ah or 200Ah Deep Cycle Batteries (Make sure they are not car or truck batteries),
these will not work
Its a good idea not to completely drain the batteries on a daily basis as some of the batteries
undergo serious degradation after a few hundred cycles. So if you require 200Ah a day then get a
battery bank of 400Ah so you are using batteries on a 50% basis to extend the battery life.
Ideally you want a maintenance free deep-cycle battery
Typical cost from 40,000Naira for 100Ah
Typical cost from 56,000Naira for 200Ah

Inverter
This converts DC power from a battery or set of batteries to AC power for powering household
appliances.
Ensure that the solar panels and inverters are either both 12V or 24V
Reference: http://www./
There are two types of inverters, the modified wave inverters and the pure sine wave inverters.
Main differences include:

Modified wave inverters Pure sine wave inverters
Much cheaper More (much more) expensive
Noisy Not as noisy
Less energy efficient More energy efficient
Generates more heat Generates less heat
Not great with rotating equipment, or sensitive equipment like Runs more like AC power and runs sensitive equipment without any real issue
TV’s, fridges, AC as it doesn't replicate AC operation well as the
output is more like a square wave than sinusoidal like
the AC power from PHCN

Typical costs of inverters
12V 1.0/2.4KVA -> 40,000Naira (modified wave inverter)
24V 2.5KVA -> 120,000Naira (pure sine wave inverter)
24V 4.0KVA -> 142,000Naira (pure sine wave inverter)

Battery frame

Reference: www.otherpower.com
Typical cost from 10,000Naira

Solar Charge controller
May sometimes be built-in to the inverter but not necessarily so.
Typical cost from 50,000Naira for 60A charge controller

Warnings
Be wary of connecting air conditioners to your solar power system. You’ll probably require at least
a 4KVA pure sine wave inverter (avoid a modified wave inverter if connecting an AC). Also you
need to ensure your inverter can deal with the initial surge of power the AC uses on starting it up
(its immense!). Also, this surge in power demand will likely stress out the battery as deep-cycle
batteries are designed for steady charging and discharging and power demand surges may affect
the life of the battery.
You’d probably also want to upgrade your lighting to energy saving bulbs and update your other
electrical appliances to more energy efficient systems.
Number of Panels versus Batteries
The size of your solar power system as previously mentioned will be a function of the size of your
pockets. however, one 250W solar panel may provide around 50Ah or more on an average day so
two 250W panels should fill a 100Ah battery. You could get more than this dependent on the
amount of sunlight on the day and efficiency of the panels.
So I’ll probably have at least two 250W solar panels to one 200Ah battery. I would also have at
least an extra 100Ah or preferably an extra 200Ah battery to reduce the overall charge/discharge
cycle stress on the batteries
I would estimate that for a 3 bedroom house that requires power for some energy efficient lights,
fans and energy efficient TV, a minimum of 2 off 250W solar panels with at least 1 200Ah deep
cycle battery.
2 x 250W Solar Panels —> 160,000Naira
1 x Charge Controller —> 30,000Naira
1 x 2.5KVA Pure Sine Wave Inverter —> 120,000Naira
(1 x 1KVA modified wave inverter can be acquired for 40,000 Naira however this is really a
suboptimal solution and you’ll need to ensure the solar panels are also 12V)
2 x 200Ah Deep-cycle batteries —> 100,000Naira
Installation —> 45,000Naira
Relevant Contacts
EU Trading Alaba (For Batteries, Solar Panels, Inverters)
www. (For Batteries, Solar Panels, Inverters, Charge controllers integrated units)
(For Batteries, Solar Panels, Inverters, Charge controllers integrated units)
Mr xxxx (Electrician)

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Solar Power Story by nextstep(m): 12:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thanks for the component breakdown, as well as cost and analysis. I'm planning to do something like this myself soon and I had no idea about all the upfront costs.
Re: My Solar Power Story by MeAndYou(m): 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2015
very informative. I need it sooon
Re: My Solar Power Story by barapistis(m): 1:34pm On Jan 15, 2016
Interesting read
Re: My Solar Power Story by osarodon(m): 12:56pm On Jan 02, 2018
Nice write up
Offgrid:
Solar Power System 101
My Solar Power Story
I managed to get a solar power system installed in Delta State but it was a
nightmare doing it due to all the charlatans at the time, the extreme paucity of data on available
systems and the fairly typical scenario of people arguing with you on what needed to be done even
though they were patently incorrect. I however, managed to complete the system and met some
really good people along the way. I got a number of solar panels and batteries from “EU Trading” in
Alaba Electronics Market (08037151711) whom I paid and he arranged for it to be transported from
Alaba to Delta State. The dude was very helpful and trustworthy throughout and the system has
been in use for about 2 years with no real issues. He didn't give me much of a discount at the time
but compared to the prices I’d seen elsewhere, it was quite fair. The electrician used was based in
Lagos but vetted by family and was very knowledgeable and reliable. The welder used was local
and was given installation specifications by the electrician.
The major equipment highlighted below display the progression from Solar Panels to actual Power
Supply.

Solar Panel —> Charge controller —> Battery —> Inverter —> Power Supply

Considerations For Specifying Solar Power System
There’s no getting away from the fact that the CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) or upfront costs for a
solar power system for powering a whole house (+/- AC’s) are scary compared to the upfront costs
for an equivalent diesel generator. However, a solar system comes into its own over the course of
the first year or so of ownership, as the running costs of a solar power system are near enough to
zero. So if you can afford the high upfront costs for it or can get a loan with a not so high interest
rate then you’re in business.
The next thing to note is that the efficiency of solar panels are not immense and range from about
11% at the low end to up to 20% (However, the energy is free mate so what more do you want!).
This means you need a fairly large surface area to generate sufficient power, but most rooftops will
be sufficient for single dwelling usage.
You also need to ensure the solar panels bought are suitable for for the intense heat we
experience in Nigeria.

Equipment Required
Unit Quantity Source
Upto 250W solar panel depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading
Alaba), Konga, Jumia
Solar Panel Support Rack depends on system Local Welder (dimensions to
hold panels)
Upto 200Ah Deep-Cycle depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading
Battery Alaba), Konga / Jumia / battery
shop (avoid car or large truck
batteries which are cheaper
but dangerous and completely
unsuitable - they will die quick,
and may attempt to take you
with them!)
Inverter depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading Alaba),
Konga, Jumia
Battery Support Frame depends on system Local Welder (dimensions to
hold batteries)
Charge controller depends on system Alaba Int’l (eg. EU Trading
Alaba), Konga, Jumia
Cable Bundle depends on system Electrician will sort this out except
RCD Socket depends on system Electrician will sort this out except
Connectors, fuses and depends on system These should come with the
terminals purchased units
Digital multi meter depends on system These should come with the
purchased units (especially
inverter)

You can also gradually build up the solar power system you want by adding components as you
get the funds. So initially buy an expandable charge controller and a suitably sized inverter
(although this can be replaced with a larger sized inverter later so long as you can sell the used
version for a good price). Remember, the solar panels need to be connected in parallel (and must
be the same voltage as the inverter i.e. 12V or 24V) and you need an even number of deep cycle
batteries.
Also note that once installed it’ll probably be a good idea to let the system charge up over at least
one or two good days of sunlight prior to using it.
If you also have the funds it may be a good idea getting an integrated unit (confirm all the above
components are included) from one of the major suppliers (check Jumia), whom will also install it
especially if in Lagos. They will also install in other states but may charge extra.

Solar panel
The number of panels you source depends first and foremost on the depths of your pockets, then
on the amount of appliances you need to power (and length of time you want to power them), then
on the space you have available (where there’s unobstructed sunlight).

Comparison of Solar Panel Efficiencies
Reference: http://sroeco.com/solar/most-efficient-solar-panels
Reference: http://www.maplin.co.uk/

The specific voltage, amperage and power of the system determine how the panels are connected.
Smaller systems connect a single series to a single inverter, while larger systems connect several
parallel series into a single inverter. The largest systems may require multiple series into multiple
inverters. Shading and panel positioning can also influence the design of the wiring.
The DC wiring from the panels on the roof needs to enter the property in order to be connected to
the electrics in your home. In some cases this may be achieved via a hole is made within the wall
which is then sealed to ensure it is watertight.
Once the wiring has reached the inside of the property, the rooftop section of the installation is
complete.
Typical cost from 20,000Naira for 100W
Typical cost from 80,000Naira for 250W

Solar Panel Rack/Roof Mountings/Anchors
Ideally your panels will be installed in a location where they will experience uninterrupted sunlight.
So the most likely places will be on the roof, water tank or if you’ve got a large garden, there. You’d
also need to make sure it is fixed securely via a metal frame. Also make sure that metal frame will
not start rusting anytime soon, non-corroding but strong materials will be good e.g. aluminium or
steel, however, this will likely be very expensive, so make sure the metal is painted properly.
Likely costs of solar frame installation from 15,000Naira

Deep cycle battery
Typically 100Ah or 200Ah Deep Cycle Batteries (Make sure they are not car or truck batteries),
these will not work
Its a good idea not to completely drain the batteries on a daily basis as some of the batteries
undergo serious degradation after a few hundred cycles. So if you require 200Ah a day then get a
battery bank of 400Ah so you are using batteries on a 50% basis to extend the battery life.
Ideally you want a maintenance free deep-cycle battery
Typical cost from 40,000Naira for 100Ah
Typical cost from 56,000Naira for 200Ah

Inverter
This converts DC power from a battery or set of batteries to AC power for powering household
appliances.
Ensure that the solar panels and inverters are either both 12V or 24V
Reference: http://www./
There are two types of inverters, the modified wave inverters and the pure sine wave inverters.
Main differences include:

Modified wave inverters Pure sine wave inverters
Much cheaper More (much more) expensive
Noisy Not as noisy
Less energy efficient More energy efficient
Generates more heat Generates less heat
Not great with rotating equipment, or sensitive equipment like Runs more like AC power and runs sensitive equipment without any real issue
TV’s, fridges, AC as it doesn't replicate AC operation well as the
output is more like a square wave than sinusoidal like
the AC power from PHCN

Typical costs of inverters
12V 1.0/2.4KVA -> 40,000Naira (modified wave inverter)
24V 2.5KVA -> 120,000Naira (pure sine wave inverter)
24V 4.0KVA -> 142,000Naira (pure sine wave inverter)

Battery frame

Reference: www.otherpower.com
Typical cost from 10,000Naira

Solar Charge controller
May sometimes be built-in to the inverter but not necessarily so.
Typical cost from 50,000Naira for 60A charge controller

Warnings
Be wary of connecting air conditioners to your solar power system. You’ll probably require at least
a 4KVA pure sine wave inverter (avoid a modified wave inverter if connecting an AC). Also you
need to ensure your inverter can deal with the initial surge of power the AC uses on starting it up
(its immense!). Also, this surge in power demand will likely stress out the battery as deep-cycle
batteries are designed for steady charging and discharging and power demand surges may affect
the life of the battery.
You’d probably also want to upgrade your lighting to energy saving bulbs and update your other
electrical appliances to more energy efficient systems.
Number of Panels versus Batteries
The size of your solar power system as previously mentioned will be a function of the size of your
pockets. however, one 250W solar panel may provide around 50Ah or more on an average day so
two 250W panels should fill a 100Ah battery. You could get more than this dependent on the
amount of sunlight on the day and efficiency of the panels.
So I’ll probably have at least two 250W solar panels to one 200Ah battery. I would also have at
least an extra 100Ah or preferably an extra 200Ah battery to reduce the overall charge/discharge
cycle stress on the batteries
I would estimate that for a 3 bedroom house that requires power for some energy efficient lights,
fans and energy efficient TV, a minimum of 2 off 250W solar panels with at least 1 200Ah deep
cycle battery.
2 x 250W Solar Panels —> 160,000Naira
1 x Charge Controller —> 30,000Naira
1 x 2.5KVA Pure Sine Wave Inverter —> 120,000Naira
(1 x 1KVA modified wave inverter can be acquired for 40,000 Naira however this is really a
suboptimal solution and you’ll need to ensure the solar panels are also 12V)
2 x 200Ah Deep-cycle batteries —> 100,000Naira
Installation —> 45,000Naira
Relevant Contacts
EU Trading Alaba (For Batteries, Solar Panels, Inverters)
www. (For Batteries, Solar Panels, Inverters, Charge controllers integrated units)
(For Batteries, Solar Panels, Inverters, Charge controllers integrated units)
Mr xxxx (Electrician)

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get New 100ml Bottles For Perfume Packaging / Kangaroo Balls: China's Latest Version Of Viagra / The World’s 20 Most Popular Facebook pages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.