Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? (5053 Views)

Sky Taxis Are About To Become A Reality / Colours Of Nigerian Taxis [pictures] / Taxis In Lagos: How Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by SEGUN2003(m): 12:02pm On Oct 16, 2005
The last time I went to Nigeria, I was extremy shocked at the image of the taxis that were waiting for passengers at Murtala M. airport in Nigeria. They were all very old, battered, uncared for, brakeless and dirty.However this was about 7 years ago. Has the taxis been changed for new or at least presentable ones or the tourits are still collected at the airport by these same old taxis? May the God bless us!!!!
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by KennyG(m): 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2005
Omo boy, that has not changed o. Same story so far.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Hunter(m): 7:56am On Oct 17, 2005
nope same stuff is still there, the police really need to clean up the swarms of people hanging around murtala murhammad airport it's very unnerving stepping out and getting swarmed by litterally 100 people.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Greatpeter(m): 9:51am On Oct 17, 2005
I don't agree with you that same is still there.
When last did you go there?
There are lots of changes and the cars there are relatively okay.
That the taxis are brakeless? I won't agree either.
Taxis in lagos are safe only the Molues are death traps.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by uchetobi(f): 10:10am On Oct 17, 2005
just pray its not kidnappers or thieves that are in guise of the taxi driver. at night in Lagos..its safer to avoid the taxi completely. but in the day time. they are relatively safer.. and most are in good condition
@GP Not only molues ooo! most buses are death traps
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by adesodgi(m): 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2005
i prefer molues to taxis,in a molue u sit uncomfortably but its safe...
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by uchetobi(f): 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2005
I wouldnt enter a molue to save my life
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Greatpeter(m): 1:05pm On Oct 17, 2005
pray that there won't be outbreak of fire then you'll know molue is not even 2% save.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by adesodgi(m): 1:31pm On Oct 17, 2005
wen in the molue keep to the window side then ur safe... grin
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Greatpeter(m): 1:32pm On Oct 17, 2005
What if the window sides have been occupied before your arrival?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by uchetobi(f): 1:35pm On Oct 17, 2005
The irony is that with the way they are jam packed there. i wonder how they breathe?? il suffocate to death.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2005
@seun2003 pls come home... u need to see the taxis at the airport,,,, VBOOT WITH AC'S and the price is good u are sure of getting home in one piece.... not like those trains abroad where one is scared of bomb blast.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2005
@kennyG Pls when last did u go to the international airport... @hunter u guys abroad think those of us back home dont know what happens there... 4 ur info u still have people waiting at the baggage claim area to pick up their loved ones there in that ur oyinbo airports.... so pls what are u saying
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by kelvin(m): 5:00pm On Oct 17, 2005
when in the molue keep to the window side then your safe...
Nope... when in the molue, be close to the door incase of an emergency so you can jump out...
A true Legosian knows how to jump from a moving bus grin
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by uchetobi(f): 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2005
LOL
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Hunter(m): 1:27pm On Oct 18, 2005
@madam, I'm not a nigerian - I am a white person, and I stand by my comments it is still EXTREMELY intimdating stepping out of the airport. I'm not sure about you but people picking up there loved ones usually don't try and sell strangers stuff at the airport?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2005
"Sell Strangers Stuff " what part of the airport did u go. unless u are saying the parking lot...
maybe becos u be inyibo thats why they crowd u..
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by omon(m): 2:49pm On Oct 18, 2005
@Hunter, why do you feel intimidated when you get to the airport? It is obvious that these guys are looking to perform a job for which they want a tip. If you do not want their service, you simply smile and say no. Do they ever force you to take their taxi without your consent? If that is the case, then you might feel intimidated. I have only used the Abuja airport and have no idea of how it is in Lagos.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by SirKay3(m): 6:46pm On Oct 18, 2005
They are quite safe pls. I still got taxis for an inlaw who came in from UK on saturday at the MMA in Lagos and they were quite fine. They were taken to Ibadan to drop some of the loads brought in.

I work in the Operations Division in my office and always on the road, so I take yellow painted taxis a lot, though I have a car which I dont drive to the office cos of our staff bus. I can vouch for them
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Hunter(m): 10:18pm On Oct 18, 2005
I don't see how it's possible to get out of lagos airport without going through the carpark, in general I do not feel safe at the airport.
Omon they usually are pretty persistent, no usually once or twice usually isn't enough, you sometimes have to tell them 5 or so times that you don't want there assistence, however these things maybe because I am white I don't know?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by omon(m): 11:57pm On Oct 18, 2005
@Hunter, Maybe as they have done it several times and you were not harmed, they simply meant no harm!  They may have learnt that method of persistent persuasion from the 'Igbo traders' - ususally persistent when you approach their stores. I am sure the airport management needs to work on that, and perhaps next time, make it known to them.

On my return from Trinidad the other month, a taxi driver approached me at the Heathrow airport. I was a bit suprised but not alarmed at that, anyway, I took the guy's taxi home. You see, it is not exclusive to lagos airport. Maybe things have changed for the better at the airport (lagos).
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Hunter(m): 4:19am On Oct 19, 2005
It's illegal here to do it, there allowed to park in the taxi ranks and thats it.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by SEGUN2003(m): 5:21am On Oct 23, 2005
Thanks be to God that things have really changed for better at the airport then.My last experience was very frustating, but then that was more than 6 years ago. By the way, has anyone got an idea about the charge of a run from the airport to Lawanson/Surulere in our dear Naira? I do hope it isn't expensive, otherwise I will have to take Molue. what a hilarious scene this would be, !!!!!!!
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 8:54am On Oct 24, 2005
btw 2500 and 3000 naira u wld get home safe and sound from the airport
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by SEGUN2003(m): 11:27pm On Oct 24, 2005
"Madam" Thanks very much for the information. I am counting the days to arrive in Nigeria after years outside. I very much want to breathe that Nigerian air again, see many friends,my relatives, go to many places and see whether Nigeria has changed since my last visit there. It's surely going to be a fantastic holiday. Is there somethig you would like me to bring you from Brazil,Madam?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 2:41pm On Oct 25, 2005
no segun nothing at all.. just get home in 1 piece..... Nigeria hasnt changed much ... only the people have...
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by uchetobi(f): 1:04pm On Oct 26, 2005
true
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Oracle(m): 5:11am On Oct 28, 2005
taxis have never been and is not safe as far as Lagos
is concerned. Besides the higher accident risk it is now
a call point for armmed robbers.

Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 1:05pm On Oct 28, 2005
Fine but not taxis that come right up to the arrival doors... they are safe... those taxi's are registered in the airport.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by oloyefala: 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2005
Why are u lot talking this,u lot are fond of murmruing,complaining.This is the time we need to rise and do something better rather than torturing our mind and trouble our heart through series of lamnentations.If u see the taxis are bad,start by buying one or two on the road,and many other will follow suite,then we will begin to have a better nigeria.aiight?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by SEGUN2003(m): 12:42pm On Nov 20, 2005
My dear "Oloyefala", there is no lamentation or whatsoever and you needn't be so offensive or aggresive. I thought over here everyone could make complaints or commentaries without being censored, we are only complaining about facts relating to the state of the majority of Nigerian Taxis since the last time I was in Nigeria, that is all. I needed to know something as I haven't been to Nigeria for while and the people who knew the reality fed me the information. Don't be so touch, none of us are taxi drivers and we meant no offence to any taxidriver, so take it easy!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by madam: 3:25pm On Nov 23, 2005
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Shows How Hot Sudan Is By Frying Egg With Direct Heat From The Sun (Video) / Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! / Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.