Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start (909 Views)

I Slept With Prof. For My Friend To Graduate, And She Did Same For Me To Fail / Happy 80th Birthday To Prof WS (wole Soyinka) / Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon On Pres. Prof. John Evans Atta Mills’ Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by hellyjay: 3:16pm On Feb 13, 2009
Madam Akuyili is a professor of pharmacology.She doubles as minister of information. and communication in a country where we have the Iredias , the Adabas and other public relations veterans.

Do i need to tell you it's preposterous?

Well. I'm not going to have a cardiac arrest on that.
The problem is : Prof. Akuyili doesn't care for grammar as much as she did for toxin and fake Aba-made phensic when she was in the NAFDAC.

The naija media is blundering,really.Check out all the publications and die.silly mistakes,bad grammar,babysh spellings and what have you.
But is it so bad that none of those veteran newshounds could outperform a narcotic expert put in the information ministry?

Apart from her lack of basics of professional p.r practice,she's  not the fine speaker that can make you relaxed and not worried about the second coming  of Raji Rasaq's style of public communication - reckless,embarrassing,and unbecoming of a public figure.

Can track record stand in for professionalism at this point in time in Nigeria?
Relying on positive thinking to make an impact where proficiency is needed is funny.
Let's see how rebranding nigeria ,her p.r pet project , will work.

http://www.naijamediablunders./
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by rotimy(m): 5:35pm On Feb 13, 2009
If Prof. Dora will be effective in her job, we can forgive her blunders! We need our leaders and ministers to be very efficient not just speaking flawless english!
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by hellyjay: 2:09pm On Feb 14, 2009
Just like a medic will do well as the accountant - general of the federation even if he has no idea of how to debit or credit an account,right?
Why did the Nigerian Medical Association prefer Dr Osotimehin to her,a pharmacist, in the ministry of health?.
Flawless English is one of the pre-requisites for occupying that post. Not negotiable.It's part of professionalism in the field of communication

Thank you,Rotimy
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by rotimy(m): 7:25pm On Feb 14, 2009
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO DUBAI? I WAS THERE RECENTLY AND THEIR CROWN PRINCE SPOKE VIA AN INTERPRETER! Their country works because of the honesty of their leaders, not the Queen's English which an avarage Asian will refuse to speak yet China, KOREA, India and Malayasia are wonders. Honestly, We are far behind due to sentiment like yours! Dora is qualified because she had professionals under her! I would have even prefer her as works or power minister
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by hellyjay: 1:28pm On Feb 16, 2009
I like this,rotimy.
If English is our lingua franca,then it's worth speaking well.
By the way,if anybody can do any thing in spite of his proficiency,then we shd expect calamities worse than Nigeria's.
Public administration is different from  professional appointments like health and p.r ministeries.
If you knew how p.r evolved - from the efforts of veteran journalists who used effective communication to counsel govt in light of public opinion - you would understand how off-base the appointment of a pharmacist to that position is.

Nigeria will fare better than Dubai if round pegs are put in round holes.
www.naijamediablunders.
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by rotimy(m): 1:41pm On Feb 16, 2009
I have read the so -called naijamediablunders and the whole thing is below my expectation. I agree with you that we need Professionals in certain posts but my arguement is that positive performance should be a yardstick for accessing our ministers and leaders not just blowing good English! Mrs Fedria Waziri speaks better English than Mallam Nuhu Ribadu. But comparing their performances in EFCC is like comparing an orange to an apple.
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by hellyjay: 4:48pm On Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for visiting the site,and for commenting, too.
But i like to be focused in my argument.
Waziri's EFCC is not as communication-related as the ministry of information - or the media ,as you might have read in www.naijamediablunders..

Even at that,if Ribadu hadn't been a lawyer and a professional police officer,he would have blundered unpardonably in that capacity.And I'm sure Ndanusa ,current NFA chairman ,or Siasia,a great football achiever,would be hopeless in the anti- corruption crusade.Square pegs ,you know.

If you aren't going be kidding ,Rotimy,you know Akuyili will be more serviceable in her NAFDAC or some pharmacological fields.

So if blowing good English,important but not all that there is in the min. of information,is a problem for the minister,then what do we expect: blundering,mediocrity,ineptitude ,and all that.

But why do we waste human resources in Nigeria?There are hundreds of p.r experts and veteran journalists,wasting away, who can perform better than the present occupant whose ingenuity is also being misdirected cos she's good - good at anything , everything.

I guess ,very soon,She will be whisked to the ministry of defence,too. She's good,isn't she?

Okonjo-Nweala knew they were going to mess her up with the political gift of the External Affairs ministry then.She swiftly bolted out of politics.She's good ,too.Why can't Akuyili think the same way in her borrowed robe?
Re: Prof. Akuyili's Blundering Start by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2009
rotimy:

If Prof. Dora will be effective in her job, we can forgive her blunders! We need our leaders and ministers to be very efficient not just speaking flawless english!

No, that's where you're wrong. We do need them to speak flawless English.

(1) (Reply)

Gory Tale (1): Deadly Chatter / E Transact Wahala / AUGUST BREAK; Dairy Of A Married Barchelor- Day2- Before The Last August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.