Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

What Nigerians Need To Know About Fuel Scarcity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Nigerians Need To Know About Fuel Scarcity (326 Views)

Nigerians Need Solutions Not The Cause Of Problems – saraki / Is This What Nigerians Have Been Reduced To?(pics) / Buhari & Osinbajo Said This About Fuel Subsidy In 2011 During GEJ Time(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Nigerians Need To Know About Fuel Scarcity by g4everybody(m): 2:55pm On May 26, 2015
RECONSTRUCTION OF THE FUEL CRISIS
Charles Novia
The Federal Government paid the calculated 59 billion naira or thereabouts to the oil importers/ marketers fully and told them 'Now, we don't owe you anymore backlogs.'

The greedy oil marketers came up with a new caveat; ' Mrs Okonjo-Iweala, when we imported the fuel, we imported and borrowed money at the old official rate of N165 to a dollar. But when the naira got devalued, we have a N20 difference to pay up to the banks. We demand that the government pay us the differential to offset our losses. Besides, this is the only time we have to make those demands. Buhari has said he will cancel importation and subsidy and since this means an end to our businesses, we must get the parting gift from the government. We demand for N200 billion naira to offset our bills due to currency devaluation"

Okonjo-Iweala flared up. ' That is blackmail! You all are trying to blackmail the Federal Government and Nigerians. Your demands are preposterous and can never hold water anywhere. I will not sign off any amount other than the N59 billion verified and agreed and which has been paid to all your accounts. You rogues believe you can arm twist the President into acceding to this economic sabotage. You expect me to agree to sign this and then when Buhari enters, they will say I signed off 200 billion during the last days of my tenure. I'm a world bank former MD with the highest principles of accounting standards. What you are asking for is illegal and not even contained in the Federal budget. I will not do it'

The Oil Marketers nodded their heads slowly. ' Ok. We will show you all that we have power. That even the new government coming in has to reckon with us. We will stop supplying fuel till that money is paid'

Okonjo-Iweala told them ' Go do your worst. But read my lips; I won't budge'

And The Cabal went to work. Now, what people don't understand is that The Cabal has very strong tentacles in all sectors and interests in those circles are intertwined. The Oil Marketers stopped lifting fuel immediately. Curiously but efficiently, the Oil Unions, NUPENG and PENGASSAN immediately went on strike on a flimsy excuse. PENGASSAN controls the gas sector and shut down the gas supply to the electricity sector. Power generation dropped and PHCN went off. These saboteurs popped champagne and waited for the nation to be brought to its knees, which happened before long.

Okonjo-Iweala reported the case to President Jonathan with the Attorney - General present.

'AG, what is the legal implication of paying those guys, assuming we decide to do it to end the suffering the people are facing right now?' Jonathan asked.

The Attorney - General replied ' Sir, effectively you have signed the 2015 budget into law. We are now working with the new budget. This demand is not captured in the new budget and anything out of this budget is illegal and would have to be approved first by the national assembly'

Okonjo-Iweala chipped in ' Mr President, the way I see it, this is pure blackmail. This government has been blackmailed by your friends and enemies since you got into power. This one is the height of such rubbish'

'I agree with you, Madam Finance Minister. Though the people may suffer this but I cannot in anyway agree to this, even with the legal implications. I will brief General Buhari'

When General Buhari was briefed about the marketers demand and the fuel crisis, he blinked his eyes a few times, thoughtfully.

'This is not something I can say anything about until I am sworn in. The situation looks dicey and I am not in power right now to handle the situation.'

President Jonathan replied 'Well, I refuse to do anything unconstitutional concerning this. We must leave the marketers to their conscience.'

And so, the cabal had their way.

And it's a big Shame too for those who call themselves educated in this country. They just sit and write and curse. 'Oh, Jonathan is paying back Nigerians for voting him out' , they write. So, the ones who voted for him, nko? People have no sense or no gift of reasoning at times, I'm sorry to say. These same people in 6 months from now, may be singing a different tune about Buhari.
Re: What Nigerians Need To Know About Fuel Scarcity by drizzydrag(m): 3:00pm On May 26, 2015
Nice script from Charles Novia... Next will be the premier date of d movie with poster fleeing Nairaland *wink*
Re: What Nigerians Need To Know About Fuel Scarcity by NoMoreTrolling: 3:06pm On May 26, 2015
Big shame to the marketers if this narrative is true, sigh!

(1) (Reply)

"Change!" Starts With You! / We’ll Unseat Wike At Tribunal—apc / Why Buhari Didn’t Make Assets Public – Aides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.