Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Origin Of The Igbos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Igbos (1720 Views)

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of The Igbos by osisi2(f): 8:23pm On Feb 13, 2009
which one is it?

Israel ?
Ethiopia ?
Egypt ?
Old Oyo empire? grin
Let's settle this confusion once and for all
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by debosky(m): 8:25pm On Feb 13, 2009
**osisi:

which one is it?

Israel ?
Ethiopia ?
Egypt ?

Koma
in Adamawa State grin grin grin
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by AloyEmeka9: 8:39pm On Feb 13, 2009
which one is it?

Israel ?
Ethiopia ?
Egypt ?
Old Oyo empire? Grin
Onyema? May be igbos are from Afghanistan. cheesy cheesy
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by Hauwa1: 9:01pm On Feb 13, 2009
Palestine
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by dayokanu(m): 9:21pm On Feb 13, 2009
Lies!!!! Igbos are from Gaza!!!!
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by dayokanu(m): 9:23pm On Feb 13, 2009
Or rather Namibia, grin grin grin grin

Sounds like Nna bia (My brother come) grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 11:48pm On Feb 13, 2009
**osisi:

which one is it?

Israel ?
Ethiopia ?
Egypt ?
Old Oyo empire? grin

NOTE: I am not a historian. This is only my assumption from what I know, what I've read, and the connections that I can make.

Israel - Most definitely not. Israel isn't as old as the establishments in Igboland.
Ethiopia - If I'm remembering what I read correctly about migration routs, this one would make some sense. Igbo could have diverged from around the Ethiopian, geographical area and went west, whereas others could have chosen to still continued going north.
Egypt - If anything, this probably happened after diverging away from Ethiopian, geographical area. Much later though.
Old Oyo Empire - Not as a point of origin, but there may be some Igbo people (a handful at best) that could have come from that area much later on. If anything it could most likely be one of the most recent influx of people.

Igbo people are a heterogenous group of people. There's no such thing as a pure ethnic Igbo, if there was such a thing at all. Also, in regards to Igbo coming from Israel (or being Jews), I believe people should rethink it and say being Hebrew instead, because being Israeli, or being Jewish, is not the same as being Hebrew. If Igbo people have any ties to Israel and the Jews whatsoever, then most likely those ties would be from Hebrews.
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by SHENANIGAN(m): 11:55pm On Feb 13, 2009
Why are Igbos always claiming to be descendants of Israel, why can't they just be the Igbos they are and just relax.
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by ezeagu(m): 1:25am On Feb 14, 2009
ChinenyeN:

NOTE: I am not a historian. This is only my assumption from what I know, what I've read, and the connections that I can make.

Israel - Most definitely not. Israel isn't as old as the establishments in Igboland.
Ethiopia - If I'm remembering what I read correctly about migration routs, this one would make some sense. Igbo could have diverged from around the Ethiopian, geographical area and went west, whereas others could have chosen to still continued going north.
Egypt - If anything, this probably happened after diverging away from Ethiopian, geographical area. Much later though.
Old Oyo Empire - Not as a point of origin, but there may be some Igbo people (a handful at best) that could have come from that area much later on. If anything it could most likely be one of the most recent influx of people.

Igbo people are a heterogenous group of people. There's no such thing as a pure ethnic Igbo, if there was such a thing at all. Also, in regards to Igbo coming from Israel (or being Jews), I believe people should rethink it and say being Hebrew instead, because being Israeli, or being Jewish, is not the same as being Hebrew. If Igbo people have any ties to Israel and the Jews whatsoever, then most likely those ties would be from Hebrews.

That was an excellent and informative response *claps hands*

SHENANIGAN:

Why are Igbos always claiming to be descendants of Israel, why can't they just be the Igbos they are and just relax.

Because their trying to trace their origins, and unless you can tell them exactly where all of them came from I'll suggest that you become a bit more open minded. The migrations of the peoples, kingdoms and empires of this world are too complicated and far stretching to just brush off the possibility that Igbo people may have Hebrew blood. After all, aren't there Ethiopian 'Jews'?
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by Nobody: 1:59am On Feb 14, 2009
debosky:

Koma
in Adamawa State grin grin grin

" shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by Sauron1: 2:12am On Feb 14, 2009
**osisi:

which one is it?

Israel ?
Ethiopia ?
Egypt ?
Old Oyo empire? grin

Congo Republic.
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 10:18pm On Feb 14, 2009
@ezeagu
Thanks.

@Topic
I also suspect that the Hebrew connection came about with the influx of people from around/within Egypt.
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by romeo(m): 9:38am On Feb 15, 2009
Osisi is becoming a nuisance in this Nairaland honestly!! If you want to know about the Igbo Origins go and ask historians or do your research. I am suggesting you lay away from culture thread for a while and concentrate on your religion section.

Eche m na nwanyi ahu ma ife!! sad sad
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by ifyalways(f): 8:04pm On Feb 15, 2009
Igbos originate form igboland. smiley
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by antartica(m): 9:39pm On Feb 15, 2009
The unrecorded history of africa is a great detriment to intellectualism,short traceable history seems like the history of the neanderthal.
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by Hauwa1: 10:02pm On Feb 15, 2009
romeo shocked shocked

everything is not strictly business. life is too short to be mean all the time.

ndidi ka ma!
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by romeo(m): 10:07pm On Feb 15, 2009
*Hauwa*:

romeo shocked shocked

everything is not strictly business. life is too short to be mean all the time.

ndidi ka ma!

omoge comot 4 road!!
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by Hauwa1: 10:22pm On Feb 15, 2009
uzo where are you make i pass grin
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by romeo(m): 11:16pm On Feb 15, 2009
*Hauwa*:

uzo where are you make i pass grin

Nekwanu eze close up ya!!
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by tangent(f): 11:30pm On Feb 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

Congo Republic.

lolololololol. grin grin grin
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by Abagworo(m): 7:38am On Feb 16, 2009
I ve done my own personal research and discovered the following.

In a single igbo village(anambra not inclusive),more than 5 originators occur.as much as 10 in some instances.what occurs most is 1) that their ancestor came from benin.

2)a whole lot believe they originated where they live.

3)from nri

4)from aro

5)from igara

6)oru that they and igbo are brothers

7)ibibio element

All these could occur in just a single village of 2km radius.

The only igbos that claim and continue to claim jewish origin are the nri and surrounding areas.i believe they might be because their king who is a man of repute lays that claim.most of what people write about igbos is based on few igbo groups.igbos are so heterogenous that nothing can be generalised.many igbos seem not to consider themselves igbo due to differences in origin.
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by FBS: 9:54am On Feb 16, 2009
sounds very complicated. Will anyone ever find their true origin? *out to do my own research*
Re: Origin Of The Igbos by comfort3: 8:01pm On Feb 23, 2009
osuland, wink

(1) (Reply)

Why Ladies Should Not Be Allowed To Wear White Wedding Gown On Their Weddin Day. / Nigerians/africans Do u still Visit Yr Village Every Xmas Or Easter? / See Popular IGBO Names, Gender That Bears It And Its Meaning!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.