Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (30323 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Fuel Subsidy 101 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 7:53pm On May 27, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Even with total Subsidy removal, Nigerian kids will die of hunger in the streets. Women will still die without adequate medicare. The stealing of the government will be like giving you N0 and taking Billions of dollars.

Even with total Subsidy removal, these people would have taken loans and ran the country to debt.

The problem with infrastructural decayis not Subsidy but Corruption.

Man, we have no infrastructure.

Remove corruption and use 4 Trillion as budget, you are still flat broke. Double that figure to 8 Trillion, you are still flat broke.

Oga, you need a trillion dollars to have infrastructure for 170 million people

In this case, your security lies in building infrastruture (Military, Agriculture, Education). It does not lie in fueling your generator. You have proven that you did not die the last week. You have proven that when the price was almost doubled from 65 naira to 97 naira, you did not die. Infact you bought more cars. Your poorer neighbours are not dead. Do not mortgage you kids future
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by pawesome(m): 7:58pm On May 27, 2015
gohome,989900,u guys re jst too much...dis is d first tym i actually went tru 7 pages on nairaland n read every single post...all tnx to u guys

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by djmummy: 7:58pm On May 27, 2015
I have to say this has been one of the most informative topics here on nairaland. I have learnt a lot in just a matter of minutes Kudos to all of u

gohome, 989900 and others.

Continue with the constructive arguments

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by munex007(m): 7:59pm On May 27, 2015
Lol *Typo...Yeah Mike Adenuga ofcourse

adeitoro:

wale adenuga? I don't think so, when did he enter into oil biz?

I think you intend writing Mike Adenuga
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:04pm On May 27, 2015
gohome:

Even with total Subsidy removal, we will be in the same predicament.

You are talking from the perspective of a government who want infrastructure for their people and development for the future generation. Not these men.

We sold Crude at astronomical prices and GEJ did not think of setting up refineries to curb out subsidy wastages. Look at Madam Madueke Flying in Private Jets with government funds. Look at the hundreds of people GEJ flew to different summits. Look at the bags of money distributed during the election.

With Subsidy removal, it would be the same, especially under a government like GEJ. The partial Subsidy removal proves it. The money went down the drain. Same with the Subsidy removal of Diesel. Yet no refineries but the same old scam. Things gets harder, the future ones suffer.

Left to me, let them lose more and let me buy petrol at N55.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:07pm On May 27, 2015
pawesome:
gohome,989900,u guys re jst too much...dis is d first tym i actually went tru 7 pages on nairaland n read every single post...all tnx to u guys

Thank you. We should learn how to trust our leaders. Some of our leaders want to make things work but lack of trust hinders them. If Buhari truly wants to make things work, why should we hinder him? Why unfortunately we did not trust GEJ, NOI and SLS, why make the same mistake twice. Give Buhari the support to get rid of the thong in the flesh.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:08pm On May 27, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

You are talking from the perspective of a government who want infrastructure for their people and development for the future generation. Not these men.

We sold Crude at astronomical prices and GEJ did not think of setting up refineries to curb out subsidy wastages. Look at Madam Madueke Flying in Private Jets with government funds. Look at the hundreds of people GEJ flew to different summits. Look at the bags of money distributed during the election.

With Subsidy removal, it would be the same, especially under a government like GEJ. The partial Subsidy removal proves it. The money went down the drain. Same with the Subsidy removal of Diesel. Yet no refineries but the same old scam. Things gets harder, the future ones suffer.

Remove corruption and use 4 Trillion as budget, you are still flat broke. Double that figure to 8 Trillion, you are still flat broke.

In this case, your security lies in building infrastruture (Military, Agriculture, Education). It does not lie in fueling your generator. You have proven that you did not die the last week. You have proven that when the price was almost doubled from 65 naira to 97 naira, you did not die. Infact you bought more cars. Your poorer neighbours are not dead. Do not mortgage you kids future
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:09pm On May 27, 2015
djmummy:
I have to say this has been one of the most informative topics here on nairaland. I have learnt a lot in just a matter of minutes Kudos to all of u

gohome, 989900 and others.

Continue with the constructive arguments

Thank you. So what is your position? Remove or not to remove?
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:09pm On May 27, 2015
gohome:

Remove the Subsidy and a government like GEJ will not produce infrastructure for a million people. It will disappear. Just like the $60 billion debt Buhari is inheriting. A serious government that felt Subsidy was a priority will use the funds from the partial Subsidy removal and foreign loans to build refineries.

It was not in their agenda. The loans were not, the money missing from NNPC were not used to develop infrastructure but their foreign bank accounts.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:13pm On May 27, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

With this mentality, you are no different from your leaders. You want to chop the one you see which is 30 Naira. If you see 1 billion, you wont care, you go chop am, then mortgage your kids future. its alright.
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:14pm On May 27, 2015
gohome:

Removing Subsidy will make things harder for the children of the future and give marketers a free market to exploit people like we see with Diesel. It will give the corrupt leaders money to waste on their private jet lifestyle and throwing hundreds of millions of naira to throw party for Tuface.

They need money to waste and they want the people to suffer more to fuel their wasting lifestyle.
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by adanny01(m): 8:17pm On May 27, 2015
mbulela:

See the twin problem;

You want them to build refineries before removing subsidy? The country is too broke to afford to build one refinery while paying the subsidy (most of it are outright stolen funds). As i have said elsewhere, the country has never been as broke as it is at present.

On the other side, it will take years to buid a refinery. Doubt it can be done in 6 months.

So how do you wish to continue?

What if they remove subsidy and still dont build a single refinery in 10yrs? What really stopped them from doing it when they had money? Dont you know that its when one is broke that one starts counting his debtors? They had the money and wasted it, now they want out portion all on promises. Aint you tired of promises?

If they want a refinery they can build it with what they have if they are honest and dedicated to it.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:17pm On May 27, 2015
gohome:

With this mentality, you are no different from your leaders. You want to chop the one you see which is 30 Naira. If you see 1 billion, you wont care, you go chop am, then mortgage your kids future. its alright.

That I not true. I do not want to walk to the feeling station to buy ten litres of petrol for N2000 while the corrupt leaders smile to the bank with billions of dollars. If we have accountable leadership, we can talk of the people sacrificing for the Nation. Until then, Subsidy should stay.
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by 989900: 8:19pm On May 27, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I share your trust issues (if you read my earlier posts).

However with competition among the parties, with a strong and capable opposition to the new ruling party, we should see progress in accountability. Even though you can trust no man, I think Buhari would be different, he will perform, he has shown this over time, I think he deserves the chance. It will not be business as usual, we will all have to adjust, but we win ATEOTD.

Especially if the refineries are fixed, and new ones built.

What if I told you, with a better Naira (even at say N90-120/dollar), everyone's salary automatically doubles in value, we should see deflation (the productive type)/disinflation. And your pump price automatically reduces too. However, that will be nigh impossible while paying trillions in subsidy, nor while draining billions of dollars for the importation of refined products.
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 8:20pm On May 27, 2015
gohome post=34137209]

Answer

ohzee(f): I believe the reason that the price of diesel is high is because it is not lucrative to import it. The marketers simply ignore it and all rush for the beautiful bride called PMS because of the subsidy they will get from govt. This creates artificial relative scarcity of diesel and the price remains high.

Arrant Nonsense!!

The price of diesel has dropped in several countries but risen in others. From July 2013 to July 2014 (oil price peak), the retail price of diesel dropped by 3.6 percent in Germany. In Japan, prices increased by 9.7 percent during the same time. The United Kingdom had some of the highest prices for automotive diesel, reaching 1.93 U.S. dollars per liter in July 2014. Today in the UK, the price of diesel is 1.91 U.S. Dollars.

Arrant nonsense, Nigeria has a peculiar problem that requires a Nigerian solution, at the Bundu waterside, there is a particular cheap diesel sold there, is it sold in Germany? is there kpo fire in the UK?

wirinet:

Having said that, i am not a fan of deregulation in a critical sector like the petroleum sector. There is never deregulation in the real sense of the word in any country in the world, government always regulate to some extent all industries in order to prevent abuse, monopoly and to protect public interest. It is the degree of regulation we should be debating about. "Deregulation" is good in situations with efficient market economy with strong institutions, but had been proven to be disasterous in countries with inefficient or underdeveloped markets with very weak institutions. All you will produce is monopoly or Oligarchy and the masses being at the mercy of a few powerful cabals.

Ladies and Gentlemen!! here you have it, Subsidy is the only government control in the downstream sector, remove subsidy and the middle class will face extinction, you guys have no idea what these cabals are capable of!!

gohome: If you do not deregulate, you wont build efficiency in Nigeria. Refining margines are very small with the volatile oil market you have. Big players like Shell BP Total etc would not build refineries if you do not let you government hands off. When Dangote's refinery is ready he will sell to Ghana, Togo and the likes if your Govt does not hands off. Fuel is not cheap. it is 220 Naira per liter. Get use to it.

Deregulation or not, refining in Nigeria is still profitable especially with this relatively low oil cost

wirinet:

This is what we have in almost all sectors of the Nigerian economy that had undergone deregulation. This is why deregulated Diesel and aviation fuel will never be cheap and available. This is why DSTV, MTN, Etisalat, etc can charge the masses very high tarrifs with very poor services. This is why deregulated NEPA is worse than regulated NEPA. I can go on and on. Before Thatcher deregulated or privatized the British economy, she made sure that the public run enterprises were running optimally and efficiently and very efficient regulatory bodies were in place.

JET A1 is regulated under DPK subsidy

gohome:

Thats the good thing about deregulation.

MTN better than NITEL
DSTV better than NTA
NESCO better than NEPA.

Oil and gas downstream sector follows a different rule entirely!! that thing you wrote up there will never happen if you deregulate completely.
Why is AGO fully deregulated not flooded every where? why is the international crude pricing not having a significant effect on the price of AGO?
Why has competition not pushed down the price of deregulated AGO? if you have the answer to these questions, then you will appreciate how comical you sound with that statement.

If you choose to use NITEL because MTN service is not good, go ahead. If you choose to watch NTA, go ahead. If you choose to use NEPA instead of solar and inverter, or NESCO go ahead.

NESCO is an independent power company in Jos that supplies 24 hours light to its customer

Arrant nonsense!! all sectors do not obey the same rules, Telecom, power and oil are two different things, only Sanusi think otherwise.

gohome: Subsidy removal has nothing to do with scarcity. PMS subsidy does not exist in 90 percent of the countries in the world, yet no scarcity. Why should it be scarce in Nigeria. No subsidy in Ghana, Niger, Togo, Benin, Kenya, SA, No scarcity. PMS is available worldwide if you want to have it at 1.1 dollars per liter. The only reason for Diesel scarcity is the fact that marketers refused to lift. If MTN refuses to give you service, Etisalat will. If OandO refuses to give you diesel, Capital Oil will. Deregulate the downstream sector is the only way. 3% of your budget goes to your National Assembly. Let them pass law and implement policies to guide against capitalism excess. Go and read about the meager between ATT and Tmobile.

You are very ignorant, Capital oil and Oando belong to the same union, if you remove Govt control (subsidy), if Capital doesnt sell, Oando wont sell either, you will exist at their mercy, they will fix their prices and you can not do Jack about it, but with subsidy in place, they are Obligated to sell except when they have a beef with their client (Government), you just experienced a tip of their influence last week, obviously, you have not learnt your lesson, remove subsidy and you will understand why a sitting president referred to them as "cabals".

Capital defied the union to release only 13m liters, do you think that is all he has got? he did Jonathan his personal friend a favor to salvage his image and the union understand, joke with these men at your own peril, they dont give a flying fvck about you!!

Reply to Wirinet Comments

[b]450,000 for domestic consumption does not fall from the sky. You have to produce it. It cost 30 dollars per bbl to produce it. Depending on the oil price, you will likely lose 9 billion dollars a year. This is minus the so called subsidy. With an infrastructural decay that needs hundreds of billions to solve, you want to pay subsidy? You are in a country where the government expenditure per person to tax is the highest in the world and you want to still pay subsidy. Your economy (mass transit, banks and industries) runs with diesel not PMS.

False!! it cost less than $30 to produce Nigerian oil, Shale oil is more expensive though, North Darkota is around $65/bbl, Texas and colorado is about $75/bbls, why do you think that Saudi was able to sustain the price war? because of variations in cost of production, Nigeria and Libya remainst the cheapest in Africa.

What is the population of the UAE? You are 170 million boy. It is not affordable.

Let the Governemnet worry about that, if the government can not design a blue print to make subsidy disappear, then they should continue paying till the president's salary is used for the last subsidy ticket, Government is there to serve the people not the other way round, there are a billion and one ways to make subsidy disappear in 4yrs, why cant the government figure it out? other than throwing around lies to bamboozle the citizens,
The United states at the peak of 2003 high oil price, President George Bush read a riot act and vowed to cut the united states dependance on foreign oil by 70%, he drew a plan and succesive governments followed it, 10yrs on, United states is on the 3rd spot in oil production in the world and aiming the first spot by next year with a whooping 15mbopd, that is what Governance is about, not wearing Agbada and fedora hat like an slowpoke.

Your budget is a mere 4 trillion. Guess what the budget of New York City with 8.9 million people alone is 15 trillion. Your government is poor, it needs money from anywhere. Help it.

Help it create a level playing field to unlock new opportunities. If we show investors we can buy fuel at 200 to 250 naira a liter, you will see them come. We then will be talking about 200K direct jobs easy and another 5 million indirect jobs.

Your country is poor. You need to start paying 30% tax so your government can run your country.

Crap!! the governemnt is lazy and they dont think!! stop cutting them useless slack, give Murry Bruce or Pat Utomi the presidency and subsidy will disappear in 5yrs, you can not vote block heads and expect a miracle in governance.

We recycle different classes of failures as public officers with no idea whatsoever how to run a country, Corruption is a bigger problem than subsidy, now, we have Buhari, a step in the right direction, he is expected to curb corruption and instill dicipline for Nigerian leadership to have sincerity of purpose, after him, is a technocrat that will strategically position Nigeria as a global player.
If he is able to select the technocrats now, then we have icing on the cake.

Buhari will not pay a dime on PMS subsidy. Petrol will sell at 1.1 dollars per liter. Unless he wants to throw away 9 billion dollars (465000 bbl) another form of subsidy. You won't die. My grandma in the village buys petro at 210 per liter, food are transported via diesel, mass transit is via diesel, industry via diesel. Nothing will happen

Be very careful what you wish for, these guys will import products, hoard it and make you beg to pay 1,000naira for a liter, the Cabal is already waiting for Buhari to make that mistake, your $1.1 PMS will only happen in your dreams.
who told you nothing will happen? well, Jonathan did not envisage the Ojota razzmatazz did he? Are you aware that the awareness the opposition created at the time was the drive that led to his defeat at the polls, do not ever in your life under estimate the power of the people.

i really do not know how to explain to these guys that we cannot afford it. No country with a population of 150 million plus pay subsidy on PMS.

Let them keep hiding under masses. Borrowing money to enrich few rich men. Sometimes I feel like disowning this country. People you try to help are the same people killing you.

Another B.S, United states twice the size of Nigeria, run 4 major subsidies that I can remember and still remain the richest in the world, bros! it is not about the size of your population but the ability of a Government to create wealth, you continue saying we can not afford it so what?
How about Leaders being able to create wealth? the oil you are dancing on was created by the leaders of the 70's, at the time Nigeria started investing in oil and gas, Coal was more profitable than oil, the ingenuity of our heroes past took a fore sight and invested in oil.

40yrs on, 10 leaders past, none of them has been able to create another source of income for this country, we are still brooding over oil that the 70's leaders created, it has been from one chop chop government to another, in the face of this abysmal failure, you dare cut them slack? what is wrong with you?

Like i said, I dont mind if the president's salary is caught up in the middle of subsidy receipt.

[/quote]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:22pm On May 27, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Remove the Subsidy and a government like GEJ will not produce infrastructure for a million people. It will disappear. Just like the $60 billion debt Buhari is inheriting. A serious government that felt Subsidy was a priority will use the funds from the partial Subsidy removal and foreign loans to build refineries.

It was not in their agenda. The loans were not, the money missing from NNPC were not used to develop infrastructure but their foreign bank accounts.

Stop living in the past. GEJ is gone. We are talking about the next budget. It is immaterial what GEJ did not did not do. What is important is the future. I can not get back the money owed by my leaders since 1960 about 41 billion dollar debt. Either can i get back the 18 billion monies our state government collected, or the 3 billion NOI collected. What I can do is learn from the past, think about the future and be look to be Brazil, Turkey, China and eventually U>S>A, Japan, Germany etc.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by adanny01(m): 8:30pm On May 27, 2015
gohome:

You are not making any sacrifice for them. They are stealing from you blind with the subsidy. If you can trust them with 4 trillion annual budget, then why not trust them with 1, 2 300 billion. You can not maintain a 170 million people with 4 Trillion Naira. You just cannot.

You are mistaken. I dont trust any government official with our 4 trillion annual budget. In fact i think it is too much. Why should i trust them with additional subsidy funds when they are even the ones enjoying it? It makes no sense. Even the parable illustration of Jesus Christ does not allow me to trust the government that constantly loot the coffers entrusted to them. I hope you have not forgotten the parable of 10shillings. The one who brings more gain to me, more responsibility shall be added to him. The one who brings me no gain, his responsiblity will be transfered to him who brings gain. I means i will vote out any government that brings me no gain. I will also give a second chance to him who brings me gain. My gain means education, employment, healthcare etc

We will have a new government from Friday, i dont expect them to remove subsidy instantly. I want them to put a plan in motion that will permanently solve our petrol importation nightmare, they must show commitment to it, only then should they remove subsidy.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:35pm On May 27, 2015
jpphilips:
gohome post=34137209]

Arrant Nonsense!!

Arrant nonsense, Nigeria has a peculiar problem that requires a Nigerian solution, at the Bundu waterside, there is a particular cheap diesel sold there, is it sold in Germany? is there kpo fire in the UK?

Ladies and Gentlemen!! here you have it, Subsidy is the only government control in the downstream sector, remove subsidy and the middle class will face extinction, you guys have no idea what these cabals are capable of!!

Deregulation or not, refining in Nigeria is still profitable especially with this relatively low oil cost

JET A1 is regulated under DPK subsidy

Oil and gas downstream sector follows a different rule entirely!! that thing you wrote up there will never happen if you deregulate completely.
Why is AGO fully deregulated not flooded every where? why is the international crude pricing not having a significant effect on the price of AGO?
Why has competition not pushed down the price of deregulated AGO? if you have the answer to these questions, then you will appreciate how comical you sound with that statement.

Arrant nonsense!! all sectors do not obey the same rules, Telecom, power and oil are two different things, only Sanusi think otherwise.

You are very ignorant, Capital oil and Oando belong to the same union, if you remove Govt control (subsidy), if Capital doesnt sell, Oando wont sell either, you will exist at their mercy, they will fix their prices and you can not do Jack about it, but with subsidy in place, they are Obligated to sell except when they have a beef with their client (Government), you just experienced a tip of their influence last week, obviously, you have not learnt your lesson, remove subsidy and you will understand why a sitting president referred to them as "cabals".

Capital defied the union to release only 13m liters, do you think that is all he has got? he did Jonathan his personal friend a favor to salvage his image and the union understand, joke with these men at your own peril, they dont give a flying fvck about you!!

False!! it cost less than $30 to produce Nigerian oil, Shale oil is more expensive though, North Darkota is around $65/bbl, Texas and colorado is about $75/bbls, why do you think that Saudi was able to sustain the price war? because of variations in cost of production, Nigeria and Libya remainst the cheapest in Africa.

Let the Governemnet worry about that, if the government can not design a blue print to make subsidy disappear, then they should continue paying till the president's salary is used for the last subsidy ticket, Government is there to serve the people not the other way round, there are a billion and one ways to make subsidy disappear in 4yrs, why cant the government figure it out? other than throwing around lies to bamboozle the citizens,
The United states at the peak of 2003 high oil price, President George Bush read a riot act and vowed to cut the united states dependance on foreign oil by 70%, he drew a plan and succesive governments followed it, 10yrs on, United states is on the 3rd spot in oil production in the world and aiming the first spot by next year with a whooping 15mbopd, that is what Governance is about, not wearing Agbada and fedora hat like an slowpoke.

Crap!! the governemnt is lazy and they dont think!! stop cutting them useless slack, give Murry Bruce or Pat Utomi the presidency and subsidy will disappear in 5yrs, you can not vote block heads and expect a miracle in governance.

We recycle different classes of failures as public officers with no idea whatsoever how to run a country, Corruption is a bigger problem than subsidy, now, we have Buhari, a step in the right direction, he is expected to curb corruption and instill dicipline for Nigerian leadership to have sincerity of purpose, after him, is a technocrat that will strategically position Nigeria as a global player.
If he is able to select the technocrats now, then we have icing on the cake.

Be very careful what you wish for, these guys will import products, hoard it and make you beg to pay 1,000naira for a liter, the Cabal is already waiting for Buhari to make that mistake, your $1.1 PMS will only happen in your dreams.
who told you nothing will happen? well, Jonathan did not envisage the Ojota razzmatazz did he? Are you aware that the awareness the opposition created at the time was the drive that led to his defeat at the polls, do not ever in your life under estimate the power of the people.

Another B.S, United states twice the size of Nigeria, run 4 major subsidies that I can remember and still remain the richest in the world, bros! it is not about the size of your population but the ability of a Government to create wealth, you continue saying we can not afford it so what?
How about Leaders being able to create wealth? the oil you are dancing on was created by the leaders of the 70's, at the time Nigeria started investing in oil and gas, Coal was more profitable than oil, the ingenuity of our heroes past took a fore sight and invested in oil.

40yrs on, 10 leaders past, none of them has been able to create another source of income for this country, we are still brooding over oil that the 70's leaders created, it has been from one chop chop government to another, in the face of this abysmal failure, you dare cut them slack? what is wrong with you?

Like i said, I dont mind if the president's salary is caught up in the middle of subsidy receipt.

Please be more civil.

Stop being scared. It is better we are at the mercy of them and learn how to checkmate capitalism excesses in a free market than still be on thier mercy right now. No country ready to progress will pay subsidy on Imported PMS. Subsidy is not a bad word. It should be done in other places (Transport, Agriculture, Education) Not Imported PMS.

Like someone said, Imported fuel accounts largely for why the Naira is so weak, that hurts your purse 10 times more than removing the present subsidy will. As it is, remove or no remove only those involved in the scheme/scam wins! The only difference will be an accountable leader will have more money to work (Build Infrastructure)
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by nairamaniac: 8:37pm On May 27, 2015
why do you Nigerians forget so easily. Jonathan didn't say "let's remove the subsidy, cos its a scam". he said, " let's remove the subsidy cos iv been scammed". he was scammed to spend 1.2trillion naira as against 400 billion which was spent the previous year. now, Jonathan transfered the burdens of his damage to us the ordinary citizens to pay for the excess 800billion. we d citizens played for this damage every subsequent year thru d removal of subsidy. Jonathan's government is the worst ever, economically speaking. no one has even asked why the naira was devalued last year November. the naira was devalued from 160naira/1dollar to above 250naira/1dollar becos our wicked country had to access our foreign-reserve in order to make up for difference in oil-revenue after oil prices had crashed. the yearly budget depends mainly on oil revenue. as oil prices crashed from above $100 to less than $60, the government wdnt have beenable to meet up with a budget of 4trillion anymore, the most they WD have gotten is about 2trillion. they needed money from somewhere. that somewhere was the 'foreign reserve'. they wanted it to be plenty wen converted to naira, hence they devalued the naira and the economy and masses suffered just as it suffered when subsidy was removed. My people, God loves this country that y he has directly bailed us out on two major-occassions . the 1st time was thru the death of Abacha. the 2nd time was the removal of Jonathan.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 8:40pm On May 27, 2015
author=gohome post=34152086]

Please esplain futher, I do not understand this question.

I will put an answer, tell me if this helps

1. Because the sector is not fully deregulated. The money these marketers get from PMS, they can afford to sell diesel to you at any price. You are lucky. If the sector is fully deregulated, you may buy diesel at 180 Naira per liter

Wrong!!

2. I also believe the reason that the price of diesel is high is because it is not lucrative to import it. The marketers simply ignore it and all rush for the beautiful bride called PMS because of the subsidy they will get from govt. This creates artificial relative scarcity of diesel and the price remains high

Crap!!

3. The price of crude oil is not directly proportional to the price of diesel. In other words if the price of crude oil is reduced by 40 percent, the price of diesel will only reduce by 5% or less The reason being diesel is a necessary by product from the very cherished PMS. It's prices are determined by refining margins amongst other factors. These margins are calculated from the composition of crude refined

The price of diesel has dropped in several countries but risen in others. From July 2013 to July 2014 (oil price peak), the retail price of diesel dropped by 3.6 percent in Germany. In Japan, prices increased by 9.7 percent during the same time. The United Kingdom had some of the highest prices for automotive diesel, reaching 1.93 U.S. dollars per liter in July 2014. Today in the UK, the price of diesel is 1.91 U.S. Dollars.

I have given you an answer on my last post

4. I also believe the reason why diesel was scarce last week is because markerters refused to lift. diesel boggle everywhere

Listen attentively, the reason AGO was scarce was because AGO is deregulated, there is no Govt control on AGO so the cabals call the shot fully in that area. All products belong to the cabal, while protesting for their 200b unpaid PMS subsidy funds, they utilized all the weapons in their arsenal, AGO being one of it, we gave them the power through deregulation.
If you deregulate fully, You have given the cabal total control of the Energy sector, like i said on the other post, they will annihilate the middle class.
They hoard their AGO to spite the government nothing more, deregulation has given them the power of monopoly.
The downstream sector is a bit tricky, Buhari must thread with caution.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by atlwireles: 8:44pm On May 27, 2015
nairamaniac:
why do you Nigerians forget so easily. Jonathan didn't say "let's remove the subsidy, cos its a scam". he said, " let's remove the subsidy cos iv been scammed". he was scammed to spend 1.2trillion naira as against 400 billion which was spent the previous year. now, Jonathan transfered the burdens of his damage to us the ordinary citizens to pay for the excess 800billion. we d citizens played for this damage every subsequent year thru d removal of subsidy. Jonathan's government is the worst ever, economically speaking. no one has even asked why the naira was devalued last year November. the naira was devalued from 160naira/1dollar to above 250naira/1dollar becos our wicked country had to access our foreign-reserve in order to make up for difference in oil-revenue after oil prices had crashed. the yearly budget depends mainly on oil revenue. as oil prices crashed from above $100 to less than $60, the government wdnt have beenable to meet up with a budget of 4trillion anymore, the most they WD have gotten is about 2trillion. they needed money from somewhere. that somewhere was the 'foreign reserve'. they wanted it to be plenty wen converted to naira, hence they devalued the naira and the economy and masses suffered just as it suffered when subsidy was removed. My people, God loves this country that y he has directly bailed us out on two major-occassions . the 1st time was thru the death of Abacha. the 2nd time was the removal of Jonathan.

https://www.nairaland.com/2340499/yaradua-spent-1-trillion-naira#34148814

Yar'adua Spent 1 Trillion Naira On Fuel Subsidy In 2009.

A lot of misinformation has been being flying around of recent, one of which is that GEJ met a subsidy spending of less than 300 billion before it shot over 1 trillion as he became president.
This is a Bloomberg article to dispel the false news once and for all.

Nigeria Plans to Abolish Fuel Subsidies, Aganga Says

Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Nigeria’s government is aiming to remove subsidies on domestic fuel prices by the end of next year at the latest after investing in a mass transit system to ease the impact on the poor, Finance Minister Olusegun Aganga said.

“It is going to be sooner rather than later,” Aganga said in an interview in London today. Everything will be ready “by the end of 2011 at the latest. It could be this year.”[/b]

The subsidies will cost the government 520 billion naira ($3.4 billion) this year, compared with 1 trillion in 2009, central bank Governor Lamido Sanusi estimated in June. That compares with a federal budget deficit of 1.9 trillion naira this year, which Aganga said today he wanted to narrow in 2011.

The abolition of the subsidy would increase gasoline prices to 115 to 120 naira a liter from 64 naira currently, Aganga said.

“If that happened, it would be a big shock to the system,” he said.

Nigeria, Africa’s biggest oil producer, imports more than 80 percent of its domestic fuel due to a lack of refining capacity, according to the country’s Petroleum Ministry. The government, through the Nigerian National Petroleum Corp., guarantees regulated fuel prices by paying importers the difference with market prices.
Mass Transit

Crude oil for October delivery declined $1.33, or 1.8 percent, to $73.69 a barrel at 12:14 p.m. on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Nigeria’s budget estimated an average oil price for the year of $60 a barrel.

About 10 billion naira has been earmarked to improve public transportation and many buses have already been ordered, Aganda said.

The government is also in talks with labor unions to gain their support and avoid social unrest, he said. “I think we are making very good progress” in the talks.

“Everyone accepts that there is no economic sense to maintaining subsidies,” Aganga said. “The question is, what would be the impact of removing the subsidy on those that you want to protect, the most vulnerable in society?”

To contact the reporter on this story: Philip Sanders in London on psanders@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Peter Hirschberg at phirschberg@bloomberg.net.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2010-09-03/nigeria-aims-to-end-oil-subsidies-within-6-months-finance-minister-says
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:45pm On May 27, 2015
nairamaniac:

You have spoken well. Removing Jonathan and putting another Jonathan will change nothing. OBJ/Yar Adua/Jonathan was scammed, will Buhari be scammed? May 29th onwards will tell.
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:49pm On May 27, 2015
jpphilips:
author=gohome post=34152086]

Please esplain futher, I do not understand this question.

I will put an answer, tell me if this helps

Wrong!!

Crap!!

I have given you an answer on my last post

Listen attentively, the reason AGO was scarce was because AGO is deregulated, there is no Govt control on AGO so the cabals call the shot fully in that area. All products belong to the cabal, while protesting for their 200b unpaid PMS subsidy funds, they utilized all the weapons in their arsenal, AGO being one of it, we gave them the power through deregulation.
If you deregulate fully, You have given the cabal total control of the Energy sector, like i said on the other post, they will annihilate the middle class.
They hoard their AGO to spite the government nothing more, deregulation has given them the power of monopoly.
The downstream sector is a bit tricky, Buhari must thread with caution.

Again, please be more civil, it will help us all aprreciate your line of thought. If the so cabal are allowed to sell at 1.1 dollar per litre they wont hoard. PMS is not cheap let us deal with it. AGO is deregulated in 90% of the countries, but not scarce, why should it be scarce in Nigeria?
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by adanny01(m): 8:51pm On May 27, 2015
gohome:

Please be more civil.

Stop being scared. It is better we are at the mercy of them and learn how to checkmate capitalism excesses in a free market than still be on thier mercy right now. No country ready to progress will pay subsidy on Imported PMS. Subsidy is not a bad word. It should be done in other places (Transport, Agriculture, Education) Not Imported PMS.

Why not on PMS?

There is subsidy on fertilizer which coincidentally is also a petroleum product but used in the agricilture sector. Is the subsidy on fertilizer having any effect on its availabilty to farmers? No

Some states have various levels of subsidy in education. Is free education in Imo and other states not subsidy? My state of Kaduna pays NECO examinations fee. What has that done to reduce illiteracy in Nigeria. Instead, literacy levels are not getting better.

The poor man in the remotest village feels the immediate impact if N5 subsidy is added or subtracted from PMS. Tell me now which of the various subsidy regimes has the capacity to affect positively or negatively the lives of 170milion Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by adanny01(m): 8:55pm On May 27, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

If you were here, i would carry you on my neck dancing Etigi grin

Buhari has to show commitment before we allow him touch subsidy funds.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by gohome: 8:58pm On May 27, 2015
adanny01:

Why not on PMS?

There is subsidy on fertilizer which coincidentally is also a petroleum product but used in the agricilture sector. Is the subsidy on fertilizer having any effect on its availabilty to farmers? No

Some states have various levels of subsidy in education. Is free education in Imo and other states not subsidy? My state of Kaduna pays NECO examinations fee. What has that done to reduce illiteracy in Nigeria. Instead, literacy levels are not getting better.

The poor man in the remotest village feels the immediate impact if N5 subsidy is added or subtracted from PMS. Tell me now which of the various subsidy regimes has the capacity to affect positively or negatively the lives of 170milion Nigerians.

Stop the delusion that a hike in PMS prices will affect anything. It wont. If at all it does hike, it is caused by your delusion. Your delusion will panic the market. Your economy is run by diesel not PMS.

There are no reasons while the hike in PMS would mean hike in anything. What was the hike in prices when we paid 97 Naira? Even if everything hikes, we would not die. Again do you want your kids to be out of school, you want your wife/mother/kids to die in the hospital because you do not have good medicare, but you want to fuel your Gen in a leaking house?

Agriculture is the sure bet to put your subsidy money into. It is the real sector. You employ your people, you feed your people, you produce excess and reserve in time of war, you diversify your economy, you earn exchange rate and put less pressure on your naira and as such values your naira which will in turn reduce price of imported PMS. I can go on and on. Hopefully you get the picture now. Do I need to explain to you how investing in education can help our economy?

With all due respect try I read about economics.
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 9:02pm On May 27, 2015
Realdeals:
subsidy a scam! visit this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2339465/buhari-not-use-oil-marketers

"...In the short run, we will not use the marketers for the PMS importation... we shall give all our local PMS needs that NNPC cannot refine to foreign firms to refine for us and pay them the cost of refining...
"We shall provide transport to ship crude to and from the foreign refineries and pay the cost of refining for us...I believe that will remove the subsidy fraud in the short run...
"when I give you 200,000 bpd to refine, you must give me the equivalent outputs that it will bring in kerosene, PMS, Diesel etc...
"...But in the long run, we shall encourage local refineries..."

This Plan will land PMS at nearly 120 naira per liter, is that what you want?
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 9:03pm On May 27, 2015
kinibigdeal:

Question

Were you able to give this analysis when jonathan government made several attempt to remove it? were you not part of those that protested against it at ojota? Now those that oppose it during is government are trying to remove it! Our politics is all about interest and not about the citizen undecided

Not even Buhari will attempt outright subsidy removal
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 9:12pm On May 27, 2015
[quote author=Kx post=34137818]@ go home, why are you avoiding the questions below?

In addition,
a. What is the tangible evidence of how well the proceeds of the partial removal and SURE-P initiative?

Sure-P? lol, that money never existed, Jonathan just bought buses from the federation account to calm you guys down.

b. What explains the price of N130 for kerosene that enjoins subsidy and should be sold at N50 official?

The Power of the cabal, diversion, corruption.

c. Where is the common sense of buying refined fuel from abroad while we export the raw crude when the same govt is preaching a ban to the importation of fish and other goods that we naturally produce locally?

Energy sector and Agriculture obey different set of rules, when Buhari sits, he will realize that Nigeria doesn't even have feed stock for existing refineries, from there he go begin develop grey hairs grin grin grin
Make no mistakes, buhari understand the energy sector a lot, I still trust his judgement, what we cannot guarantee is the extent of damage Jonathan has done.

e. How do you react to this revelation:

there are inefficiencies in the subsidy regimen no doubt the reason why sane people want the Govt to clean it up before telling us they cannot afford it, if you leave the inefficiencies intact, then it is no longer subsidy removal, but passing the inefficiency of the government to the masses who are already functioning as an individual LGAS by Nigerian standards.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 9:16pm On May 27, 2015
Realdeals:
@ gohome

What happen to the 445,000 barrel of crude produced for domestic consumption

who produced? where you see am?
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 9:19pm On May 27, 2015
kinibigdeal:

Your comment are too loopsided. The fact that you said you were against it in 2012 due to your unfounded fact speaks alot about your personality and you supporting it now enapse my conclusion. The protest against subsidy in 2012 was highly political and not for the interest of the nation, the calculation was to render this present administration ungovernable in lieu of their interest in 2015 which really work for them perfectly. Majority of the policy GEJ administration had then was strongly opposed through press and whatever platform because of their political calculation of 2015. The effect was, the more you oppose a beneficial policy, the more the aesthetic decay compiled and remain unsolved. Now the consequence of their unfounded critics is what they want to carry now which is almost impossible to solve in 8years. The problem we have as a nation is that our critics are never issue based but political gain

Crap!!
Re: Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. by jpphilips(m): 9:20pm On May 27, 2015
tunene66:
in simply terms to me subsidy is ensuring that the price of a good or service is below the actual cost price-in other words, there is a loss. No concerning the Nigerian situation, the crude oil is sold in the international market at ruling price. Its based on this that the Federal Government bases its budget. So the crude is sold and we import, like any other country, refined oil at international price, together with it attendant cost of transportation, insurance and landing charges. These no doubt makes the cost of refined oil higher than crude (since value has been added). Now the Govt. arbitrarily fixes the refined oil (PMS) price. So the differential is called Subsidy

Well the counter argument is that ideally, the budget of Nigeria should be based on crude oil that is sold to external customers. The crude oil that is to be used eventually in the country should be sold at local cost of production price to refineries who will the send it back at a reduced price. States and LGAs will kick because it will mean reduced revenue, no wonder they wand an Accountant General of the Federal Republic

So to me there is subsidy but its being mismanaged because our monitoring agencies have been corrupt

The way out.....

you have already said the way out, well done!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

How To Vote On Election Day, What Finger To Use - INEC issues Alert [MUST-SEE] / Saraki Reacts To EFCC Plan To Arraign Him For Allegedly Diverting 12bn / Man In Court For Trespassing On Obasanjo’s Land In Ota, Ogun

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 209
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.