Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Safety Precautions With Snakes - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Safety Precautions With Snakes (927 Views)

Snakes Killed By My Dad And I (Black Spitting Cobra & Ball Python) / Man Drags Two Large Snakes On The Street Of Zimbabwe In Broad Daylight (Photos) / 7 Reasons We Should Stop Killing Snakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Safety Precautions With Snakes by HopeAlive14(m): 11:52am On May 28, 2015
With the alarming reportage of snake incidences on Nairaland in recent times, I feel compelled to share with all our teeming Nairalanders the following Safety Precautions With Snakes.

Snakes are forced into places where they usually are not found. Take the following precautions if you live in an area where poisonous/non poisonous snakes are common.

1. Know how to identify poisonous snakes common to your area [see examples below]

Non Poisonous Snakes
Head - Rounded
Fangs - Not present
Pupils - Rounded
Anal Plate - Double row of plates
Bite Mark - Row of small teeth.

Poisonous Snakes
Head - Triangle - except Cobra
Fangs - Present
Pupils - Elliptical pupil
Anal Plate - Single row of plates
Bite Mark - Fang Mark

2. Remove snakes' food supply - Eliminate rodents such as rats and mice by frequently cleaning kitchens, toilets, stores, garages and surroundings.

3. Maintain low-cut for all grass surroundings.

4. Always watch what you step on. If you work in the forest, take noisy steps with your boots.

5. Never put your hand into a hollow or burrow that you cannot see the interior.

6. Mow your lawns regularly and do not allow tree branches to hang on roof or over windows.

7. Plug all openings or cracks through which snakes enter buildings. shocked

8. For activities prone to snakes exposure, wear heavy leather or rubber high-topped boots, and heavy gloves. Be extremely careful around debris. Use rakes, or other long-handled tools when removing debris. Never expose your hands, feet, or other parts of your body in a place where a snake might hide.

9. Do not sit on a log (especially in the bush); snakes like logs a lot for hiding or positioning for basking. If you must sit, probe and disturb the place very well.

10. Always use a bright light (such as a torchlight), when working around your homes or facilities at night.

11. Explain to children the dangers of snakes and the precautions they should follow. Do not allow children to play around debris.

12. If you kill a poisonous snake, use a stick, rake, or other long-handled tool to carry the snake away for disposal. Snakes may bite even when they appear dead!!! shocked

13. If you realize you are near a snake, avoid sudden movement, which may cause the snake to strike. If you remain still the snake may leave. If the snake doesn't move away from you slowly back away from it. shocked

14. If present where someone is bitten by a snake take the following actions:
- Give first aid:- Bandage the bitten area firmly, raise the limb, and splint the site if possible (avoid direct body contact with blood or fluid)
- Get someone to call Medical Emergency for help.
- Try to pacify the victim; make him relax; so that anxiety does not build up.
- Immobilize victim. He/she should not be allowed to move until help arrives.
- If snake was killed after an attack, take it along with the victim for the right anti-venom/treatment.
- If you are bitten by snake, do not drive yourself to the hospital, get someone to drive. Most dangerous snake venoms produce delirium, dizziness, blurred vision etc making you incapable of driving safely.

Thank you.

cc: lalasticlala
Re: Safety Precautions With Snakes by princesslucy83: 11:57am On May 28, 2015
Thank you for this very useful tips.

1 Like

Re: Safety Precautions With Snakes by AKMoney1(m): 12:11pm On May 28, 2015
God bless you, reading snakes stories makes me shiver. Though I will face it to kill it if need be but I hate all reptiles especially snakes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Safety Precautions With Snakes by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 28, 2015
Very helpful but before u find all these things finish snake go bite u waka tey tey

1 Like

Re: Safety Precautions With Snakes by Cutest001(f): 12:53pm On May 28, 2015
Thanks so much
but
I don't want to know the difference between poisonous and non poisonous snakes...
Snake = Flee

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

#abdullahidikkoindemustgo / Where Are The Brainees Of Nairaland ? / 8 Little Things That People Use To Judge Your Personality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.