Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,940 members, 7,835,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv (8784 Views)

How Much Does Startimes Cost / Startimes Slashes Bouquet Prices / Price Of A New Startimes Decoder And Installation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 9:25am On May 30, 2015
Ahead of the upcoming FIFA World Cup competitions in 2015, StarTimes has said it will thrill Nigerian football fans with new sport channels and exclusive live sporting action on its digital TV platform.
The company announced that it has secured exclusive rights to screen the FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand between May 30 and June 20; FIFA Women World Cup Canada 2015 between June 6 and July 5; FIFA U -17 World Cup in Chile 2015 between 17 October and 8 November, 2015.
StarTimes will also show European qualifiers live between 12 and 14 June; the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2015 in Portugal on 9 – 19 July and the preliminary draws of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Russia on July 25. The International Champions Cup (ICC 2015) cricket games will also be screened live on StarTimes Sport channels between 11 July and 05 August 2015 with 15 clubs and 23 games live in action.
Speaking on the new development, Mr. Israel Bolaji, Public Relations Manager at NTA-Star TV Network StarTimes said; “StarTimes is kicking off its Soccer Season campaign and will thrill its viewers with live world cup football actions exclusively on its Star Sports 2, Star Sports Focus, NTA Sports 24 and other sports channels including its Star Sports Premium which will be launched by June 1. While the U- 20 World Cup will be shown live on Star Sports 2, the Women’s World Cup will be shown on Star Sports Premium.
Meanwhile, StarTimes has also concluded plans to launch a new sports channel called Star Sport Premium. The new channel will launch on the StarTimes Unique bouquet from June 1 and further boost the digital TV provider’s sport offerings. Star Times will also unveil three other sports channels soon.........
This comes in addition to startimes exclusive acquisition of viewing rights to the German Bundesliga for a period of two years ,starting from next season....Indeed customers are in for a good time......
bizwatchnigeria.ng/startimes-have-something-new-exciting-for-customers/
.cc lalasticlala
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by Proffdada: 9:50am On May 30, 2015
Good that'll teach stupid Dstv lesson of monopoly
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 10:10am On May 30, 2015
Proffdada:
Good that'll teach stupid Dstv lesson of monopoly
yes bro I really wish so..

1 Like

Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by mrdrizzy(m): 3:20pm On May 30, 2015
This is gud though bt unique boquuet has been topped up right

3600 or so

the laliga, f.a cup,serie a bidding right is still on for west africa,why cant dey try place bid for one so dey can gain more viewers
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 3:40pm On May 30, 2015
mrdrizzy:
This is gud though bt unique boquuet has been topped up right

3600 or so

the laliga, f.a cup,serie a bidding right is still on for west africa,why cant dey try place bid for one so dey can gain more viewers
bro take it easy..its been what, 5yrs since they started operations in Nigeria and they have all this...
Dstv wasn't built in just Five years, it took more than that... give them time and they'll get there
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by mrdrizzy(m): 3:48pm On May 30, 2015
SlyCharlie:

bro take it easy..its been what, 5yrs since they started operations in Nigeria and they have all this...
Dstv wasn't built in just Five years, it took more than that... give them time and they'll get there
take what easy??

Its a direct suggestion not an order or something

fyi

startimes is way older dan dstv worldwide,deyve got the resources they should just look into that,
the public needs all this,if dey wonna get more viewers,

if all this can be purchased it will wreck dstv monopoly,
or dont you want all these for a cheaper rate??

PS:i own one and applaud this new development
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 4:32pm On May 30, 2015
mrdrizzy:
take what easy??

Its a direct suggestion not an order or something

fyi

startimes is way older dan dstv worldwide,deyve got the resources they should just look into that,
the public needs all this,if dey wonna get more viewers,

if all this can be purchased it will wreck dstv monopoly,
or dont you want all these for a cheaper rate??

PS:i own one and applaud this new development

yep I understand you. and course I know that it was formed in the 80's, that's why I mentioned Nigeria in particular.
As for EPL, Dstv has one season left on their contract with sky sports, so we should not expect any thing soon on that..
PS: The rights aren't sold for West Africa in particular, rather its sold for Sub Saharan Africa, wich includes both Nigeria and SouthAfrica and all countries in East,West and southern Africa
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 10:55pm On Jun 06, 2015
SlyCharlie:

yep I understand you. and course I know that it was formed in the 80's, that's why I mentioned Nigeria in particular.
As for EPL, Dstv has one season left on their contract with sky sports, so we should not expect any thing soon on that..
PS: The rights aren't sold for West Africa in particular, rather its sold for Sub Saharan Africa, wich includes both Nigeria and SouthAfrica and all countries in East,West and southern Africa

Oga Charles, please we've got to talk, privately or here - whichever you prefer.

Startimes exclusive ownership of the world cup forced me to buy a startimes decoder in addition to my DSTV. I got the outside antenna and a three meter pole. Yet, I keep getting the ' No Signal' message - although it showed briefly earlier today when I installed it.

Now I'm on the danger of not being able you watch the match tomorrow morning despite my investment in purchase, installation and unique bouquet.

I feel so bad about this. My installer advises me to get the star sat. But he says I can't sell the terrestrial that I've bought as it is already configured in my name and isn't transferable.

But I feel the same ' No Signal' problem might still persist even if I decide to take such financial plunge.

My location is Ora-Ido expressway, 25 kilometers from Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State and 7 kilometers from the Federal Medical Centre, Ido Ekiti.

I would sincerely appreciate if this can be resolved quickly so that I can enjoy what I bought. Currently, it is so useless.
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by Ameboperoo(m): 7:44am On Jun 07, 2015
DrTee1:

Oga Charles, please we've got to talk, privately or here - whichever you prefer.

Startimes exclusive ownership of the world cup forced me to buy a startimes decoder in addition to my DSTV. I got the outside antenna and a three meter pole. Yet, I keep getting the ' No Signal' message - although it showed briefly earlier today when I installed it.

Now I'm on the danger of not being able you watch the match tomorrow morning despite my investment in purchase, installation and unique bouquet.

I feel so bad about this. My installer advises me to get the star sat. But he says I can't sell the terrestrial that I've bought as it is already configured in my name and isn't transferable.

But I feel the same ' No Signal' problem might still persist even if I decide to take such financial plunge.

My location is Ora-Ido expressway, 25 kilometers from Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State and 7 kilometers from the Federal Medical Centre, Ido Ekiti.

I would sincerely appreciate if this can be resolved quickly so that I can enjoy what I bought. Currently, it is so useless.
Starsat is satellite based and can work anywhere in Africa. It even has more channels than Starsat. If you have the cash, get it.
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by mrdrizzy(m): 7:57am On Jun 07, 2015
DrTee1:

sowi mate!
The dv3 DTH(direct to home) service is limited to some area/region like the gotv's and dstv drifta

the installer gave ya the best opinion,starsat works virtually anywhere in westafrica,all u need to do is head to startimes official office within ur area(not the dealers),return the DTH decoder and tell em u need the starsat dey sure will take that decoder and hand u the starsat,@a cheaper of if not moderately low price

i think their promo is still on

goodluck

1 Like

Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by mrdrizzy(m): 8:00am On Jun 07, 2015
SlyCharlie:

yeah

i hope dey look into thaat,cus are alrady making lots of money from this fifa championship

actually its tagged zonally,south and west one side,north and east one side
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 11:50am On Jun 07, 2015
mrdrizzy:

sowi mate!
The dv3 DTH(direct to home) service is limited to some area/region like the gotv's and dstv drifta

the installer gave ya the best opinion,starsat works virtually anywhere in westafrica,all u need to do is head to startimes official office within ur area(not the dealers),return the DTH decoder and tell em u need the starsat dey sure will take that decoder and hand u the starsat,@a cheaper of if not moderately low price

i think their promo is still on

goodluck

Are you serious? Do you know where their office in Ekiti State is? Or can you give me a number to call?
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 11:56am On Jun 07, 2015
mrdrizzy:
yeah

i hope dey look into thaat,cus are alrady making lots of money from this fifa championship

actually its tagged zonally,south and west one side,north and east one side
nope it ain't sold zonally...rather in africa there only two rights sold, the MENA region which includes Middle East and North Africa and Sub Saharan Africa, which includes countries in West, East and South Africa....
Dstv currently had the rights for Sub Saharan Africa while Bein Sports has the rights for the MENA region....
Although, recently there have been calls for both NIGERIA AND SOUTH AFRICA to be bidded for separately but nothing has come out of that
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 12:02pm On Jun 07, 2015
DrTee1:

Are you serious? Do you know where their office in Ekiti State is? Or can you give me a number to call?
you could go to the zonal office of the NTA in ado ekiti..they should be of help or u call customer care... 09-4618888, 01-2719999...but I'll advice u go to their office
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 12:45pm On Jun 07, 2015
SlyCharlie:

you could go to the zonal office of the NTA in ado ekiti..they should be of help or u call customer care... 09-4618888, 01-2719999...but I'll advice u go to their office

Thank you so much. I'll do something tomorrow. I've been told the Ado Office address of Startimes. I called the Startimes phone number. They told me to bring my decoder and 4500 to get the dish.

My question now is: What are the specific advantages of the dish over the terrestrial? I know one would miss the local Ekiti content on the terrestrial. That's two stations - EKTV and NTA Ado Ekiti.

Are those the only two stations I'll miss? What would I gain? I'm told the reception would be even clearer and that there are more stations on the star sat.

True?

I'll be in Ado for the swap tomorrow, as they don't open the office on Sundays. I only want to get as much information as possible. I'll appreciate your kind replies.
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by mrdrizzy(m): 12:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
SlyCharlie:

nope it ain't sold zonally...rather in africa there only two rights sold, the MENA region which includes Middle East and North Africa and Sub Saharan Africa, which includes countries in West, East and North Africa....
Dstv currently had the rights for Sub Saharan Africa while Bein Sports has the rights for the MENA region....
Although, recently there have been calls for both NIGERIA AND SOUTH AFRICA to be bidded for separately but nothing has come out of that
lol
now tell me is there any difference btw what u posted to mine?
East and north and middle?
West and south?

Lol ur just complicating things,trying to form

well i'm done conversating on this matter
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 6:37pm On Jun 07, 2015
mrdrizzy:
lol
now tell me is there any difference btw what u posted to mine?
East and north and middle?
West and south?

Lol ur just complicating things,trying to form

well i'm done conversating on this matter
well there is a diff. cos SOUTH,EAST,WEST(SUB SAHARAN AFRICA)"Dstv ", MENA(MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA)" Bein Sports ". Simple
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 6:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
DrTee1:

Thank you so much. I'll do something tomorrow. I've been told the Ado Office address of Startimes. I called the Startimes phone number. They told me to bring my decoder and 4500 to get the dish.

My question now is: What are the specific advantages of the dish over the terrestrial? I know one would miss the local Ekiti content on the terrestrial. That's two stations - EKTV and NTA Ado Ekiti.

Are those the only two stations I'll miss? What would I gain? I'm told the reception would be even clearer and that there are more stations on the star sat.

True?

I'll be in Ado for the swap tomorrow, as they don't open the office on Sundays. I only want to get as much information as possible. I'll appreciate your kind replies.
Simply put.....in terms of availability, I mean signal quality especially in rural Ares Starsat cuts it. but as for economy, u know the drill, startimes all the way, cos its cheaper
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 6:00am On Jun 08, 2015
SlyCharlie:

Simply put.....in terms of availability, I mean signal quality especially in rural Ares Starsat cuts it. but as for economy, u know the drill, startimes all the way, cos its cheaper

Thank you. I'll update you subsequently!
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:17am On Jun 08, 2015
When HITV won the rights to EPL, They paid for just Nigeria.

The premier league stopped that MENA/Sub-Saharan thing when HITV made them realize they could unbundle Nigeria from the rest and get so much money.

HITV apparently paid more for Nigeria alone than DSTV used to pay for the whole Sub-Saharan Africa rights.

If you recall DSTV was able to show EPL everywhere else in Africa.

Which is also why there is this convoluted process of tier 1 matches, tier 2 matches and being compelled to give one match free to terrestrial TV in each country every week.
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 9:51pm On Jun 08, 2015
SlyCharlie:

I went to the Startimes office in Ado today to swap my terrestrial decoder for a star times satellite decoder so that I'll be free from all these signal strength problems, as advised by the customer care operator who I spoke to on phone and who gave me the Ado office address but very strangely, the officers at the Startimes office in ado told me this evening that the 4500+ decoder for star sat dish ended just on Friday last week - 24 working hours before I came... Meanwhile, I bought the terrestrial decoder that same Friday!

Yet, I'm told that I can't sell my terrestrial decoder because it is already registered in my name. It is so unfair and unfortunate. I'll appreciate a quick resolution.

Isn't this very bad already? Please help...
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 11:33pm On Jun 08, 2015
DrTee1:

I went to the Startimes office in Ado today to swap my terrestrial decoder for a star times satellite decoder so that I'll be free from all these signal strength problems, as advised by the customer care operator who I spoke to on phone and who gave me the Ado office address but very strangely, the officers at the Startimes office in ado told me this evening that the 4500+ decoder for star sat dish ended just on Friday last week - 24 working hours before I came... Meanwhile, I bought the terrestrial decoder that same Friday!

Yet, I'm told that I can't sell my terrestrial decoder because it is already registered in my name. It is so unfair and unfortunate. I'll appreciate a quick resolution.

Isn't this very bad already? Please help...

thats quite unfortunate.......sad......
I guess u just have to get a new one...starsat I mean
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 2:24am On Jun 09, 2015
SlyCharlie:
thats quite unfortunate.......sad......
I guess u just have to get a new one...starsat I mean

And have two decoders Is that the best Startimes can do?
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by SlyCharlie(m): 7:23am On Jun 09, 2015
DrTee1:

And have two decoders Is that the best Startimes can do?
I guess.... Dstv will do same
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by DrTee1(m): 9:26am On Jun 09, 2015
SlyCharlie:
I guess.... Dstv will do same

The comparison shouldn't be with DSTV - although this satellite-terrestrial matter usually doesn't arise with DSTV/GOTV.

You, as Startimes, should be fair to your subscribers.
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by Uthmanloay: 9:34am On Jun 13, 2015
PLS SOMEONE GIV ME ONE STARTIME BUT IT HAV DISH AND I DONT KNOW D FREQ AND SYMBOL RATE WIT D PLACE IT FACIN PLS SOMEONE HELP BROTHER
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by stockbull(m): 9:25am On Oct 25, 2015
Re: Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv by ayufun: 4:32pm On Mar 16, 2016
enjoy the best out of your startimes
https://mobile.facebook.com/STARTIMESNIGERARECHARGE/?refid=28&_ft_=qid.6261576549749723726%3Amf_story_key.-9126956705735751866&__tn__=C

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On How To Install Dstv / Re: Newbie In Satellite Installation: Introduce Yourself Here With Your Problems / IRIB Tv3 &varzesh Schedules Daily And Live Fixtures On Other Channels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.