Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Five Great Hymnists Of All Time - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Five Great Hymnists Of All Time (630 Views)

Five Great Prayers To Say Before Going To Bed At Night / Why I Converted To Islam- Emmanuel Adebayo, All Time Togolese Best Footballer / Why I Converted To Islam- Emmanuel Adebayo, All Time Togolese Best Footballer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Great Hymnists Of All Time by chikachuks1(m): 5:22pm On May 30, 2015
There has been so many hymnists in christian history but these five were
incomparable.
1) CHARLES WESLEY: He was the younger brother of John Wesley and a cofounder of the Methodist church. He was also a close associate of George
Whitefield. They laboured tirelessly to make sure that the gospel of Christ spreads far as much as it lied within them. Despite his busy
schedule, he wrote ten lines of hymn everyday and at the
time of his death, he had authored more than 7000 hymns. His most popular hymn include; Oh for a
thousand tongue, hark the herald, My father, I stretch
my hand to thee, My saviour will supply my needs.
To continue, visit www.christianityupdate.com
Re: Five Great Hymnists Of All Time by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 30, 2015
when u're ready u continue ur post here

1 Like

Re: Five Great Hymnists Of All Time by GoodMuyis(m): 6:25pm On May 30, 2015
I Thou Shalt continue what thou started

There has been so many hymnists in christian history but these five were incomparable.
1) CHARLES WESLEY: He was the younger brother of John Wesley and a cofounder of the Methodist. He was also a close associate of George Whitefield. They laboured tirelessly to make sure that the gospel of Christ spreads far as much as it lied within them. Despite his busy schedule, he wrote ten lines of hymn everyday and at the time of his death, he had authored more than 7000 hymns. His most popular hymn include; Oh for a thousand tongue, hark the herald, My father, I stretch my hand to thee, My saviour will supply my needs.

2)FANNY CROSBY: The life of this saintly woman makes me understand more clearer that we are without excuses. She became blind at 6 weeks old but still fulfilled her ministry. It was said that she memorise five chapters of the Bible weekly. At the age of twelve, she had memorised all the gospels, the 5 books of moses, part of proverbs and psalms. She wrote more than 6000 hymns and the most popular among them are; Rescue the perishing, Close to thee, To God be the glory.

3) ISAAC WATT: He also contributed much to the world of hymnology. He wrote more than 750 hymns during his lifetime and the most common among them are; When i surveyed thy wondrous cross, Joy to the world, Jesus shall reign were e’er the sun.

4)IRA DAVID SANKEY: Ira met with the famous American evangelist D.L. MOODY in a programme where he sang. After then, the evangelist chose him as his personal assistant and the remaining part of Moody’s ministry was assisted by Ira. His song were promoted by the prince of preachers C.H. SPURGEON. Ira composed the tune for the song “ONLY REMEMBERED” which he sang on Spurgeon,s burial.

5)JOHN NEWTON: Amazing grace has been the most favorite hymn of many christians. He composed the song after God had saved him from sin. He became an Anglican priest after his conversion because of the need to remain in God’s work.

Source: The OP Link

1 Like

Re: Five Great Hymnists Of All Time by chikachuks1(m): 8:47pm On Oct 20, 2018
You have put up a nice and insightful content here. I appreciate the information you just shared. I compiled a list of the 6 greatest hymnists in history. You can also do well by checking them with the link http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/christian-hymns/

(1) (Reply)

Seven Tough Question Muslims Ask Christians / Is It OK To Explore Other Options While Waiting On God? / Is Masturbation A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.