Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,559 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:58 PM

I Lost My Baby To A System Failure - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Lost My Baby To A System Failure (30187 Views)

I Lost My Friend To Chronic Kidney Disease, His Last Whatsapp Chat With Me / How I Lost My Childhood Friend To HIV/AIDS / Lagos Hospital Allowed Baby To Die, Dumps Corpse Near Waste Bin - Family Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lolly2pops: 11:44am On Jun 01, 2015
May God see you and your loved ones through these trying times. I have found myself in similar situations as you before and this is what I have learnt, not that you need to know this now but for many others to take note. May you be strengthened in Jesus' name.

Most times convulsion in infants and toddlers are due to high fever associated with viral or bacterial infections. If all these hospitals you went to could not accommodate the child, all they needed to do was break that fever before you guys left. This can be done by using infant fever suppositories and ensuring that the child is kept in a well ventilated environment with no clothes on. A cold bath can also help. A baby with convulsions must always be laid on their side and not be restricted. Any other position may cause the child to choke in their own vomit/saliva or even swallow their tongue , which will eventually see them cease breathing. The most important part is prayer for only God holds the key to life and death.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by cecegorz(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2015
wasamtech:

Thanks for the comment. We never insisted on discharging both mother and baby, we even asked them to take their time to care for them but they gave us a good bill of health that the baby is sound and okay to be discharged. We were only told not to bathe the baby nor cut his hair even at child naming as required by a muslim. We adhere to all tips given and we never expose the baby to cold nor too much heat.

We were not advise before referral whether we could afford expensive care or free public care as l detest general hospitals. I had given vengeance to God otherwise l would have either sue the hospital for negligence or even blacklist them by publishing their hospital address and phone numbers on the internet to prevent patronage.

We were completely ignorant of the health situation of the baby and thereby put our trust in the hospital as they so called professionals.

Thanks

Your story is heart rending! I can't imagine all of you running from one 'hospital' to another in the middle of the night, only to be told the same useless stories time and again.
However, I believe that the hospital that delivered your baby is hugely culpable and can be sued for negligence.
Do you know that good hospitals will even insist that a full term jaundiced baby will stay under photo treatment until it fully clears before discharge, how much more for a pre-term baby?
You owe it to the general public, even if you don't want to sue them, to make an official report to the NMA Lagos for proper review of their activities, and sanctions if found wanting.
Strangely, some of these hospitals employ quacks and sub-par consultants, just to make money off unsuspecting public.

Take heart for your son's demise. God will give your family more healthy sons as you desire. But this hospital/doctor must be brought to proper scrutiny.

6 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by cecegorz(m): 12:05pm On Jun 01, 2015
akeensbussy:
Sorry for the loss, may his soul rest in peace. Sincerely speaking, ordinary unripe pawpaw would have solved that problem. African, especially Nigerian has herbal solution to all dieases. we have abandoned our tradition. ordinary unripe pawpaw would have cured the little child. cut the pawpaw into pieces, soak it and leave it till next morning start giving the baby little and bath him with. he will hail and healthy.
Damn! I can recollect from childhood memory. I knew a relative that was being bathed with unripe paw paw/leaves broth.
It was called 'Iba ocha na anya' then, but I couldn't understand. Now I know.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by andyanders: 12:06pm On Jun 01, 2015
My brother, take heart as I lost my composure over the death of your baby.The health sector is what this government has to look into.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by blessnija: 12:24pm On Jun 01, 2015
sir.
I AM SHOCKED BEYOND WORDS.MAT GOD GRANT U THE STRENGHT TO BEAR THIS LOSS. PLEAESE KINDLY HUG YOUR WIFE FOR ALL OF US. PLEAESE TELL HER HER BABY IS RESTING WITH THE LORD AND WAITING TO COME BACK IN 9 MONTHS
i write from the u.k. if it were here GOD knows the punishment those evil health personal will get . scarcity or no scarcity i dont believe those hospital cant make provision of emergency it boils down to system failure and lack of zeal by doctors. Please report to the servicom unit of those hospital and send a copy to servicom abuja. write a pettiton to THE CMD of those hospital as well.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by diehard1: 12:28pm On Jun 01, 2015
Its not a bad idea to write name of hospital that carried out the delivery so that others will be careful when visiting there. They are 100% responsible for your Childs death, period. You tried your best but God knows best. Take heart

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 01, 2015
Me am not relocating again o,as i am still birthing,i have not finished,Buhari or no Buhari,nonono,this is too heartrending
wasamtech:
Its heart breaking that my new baby boy was lost due to systemic failure of government health ministries. On 28th May 4pm thursday evening my baby develop convulsion, l quickly drove him down with my wife to the hospital we had him. We were told he had reacted to jaundice and could only be treated through photo-therapy (blood transfusion) at the general hospital LASUTH ikeja.

He was immediately treated for convulsion and given a reference letter to LASUTH. l immediately drove down to LASUTH IKeja and on arrival we were told there is no (light) to conduct blood transfusion and referred to LUTH idi-araba mushin with an assurance he will be treated.
Baby Salman struggled and raised our hope with normal respiration that he was indeed gonna make it. At LUTH same night, we were told there was no light, no bed, no blood. A bag of blood needed to save his light cost only N5,000.00 but no room for accomdation. He was neither checked nor given first aid.

Students Doctor at LUTH were the doctors on duty at the Children Emergency Ward and said there is nothing they could do. We were referred to Randle General Hospital in Surulere same night same thursday, On getting to Randle, we were waiting for the Doctor while the baby was vomitting seriously and only for the Doctor to announce that he could not be treated there.

We were referred to MASSE General Hospital at Lagos Island same night same day. At Masse hospital, we were told no space to admit him as they have alot of babies to be administered upon. And someone suggested we go to FMC (Federal Medical Center) at Apapa via IDDO Oyingbo. We drove there again same night and on getting there they said they don't do blood transfusion there.

Finally we gave up and decided to go back home around 1 am Friday morning, baby Salman was still battling with life, we decided to locate Gbagada General Hospital on our way back to our private hospital and we lost our way only to end towards Berger instead of Oshodi to locate Gbagada, alas we ended up in an accident.

I rammed under a container truck that was packed on the highway without any safety indication, no back light, no reflective red sticker showing the trailer was not moving, l was about avoiding a trailer that was blowing out heavy smoke, and gradually slammed on my brake immediately l saw the packed trailer and miraculously my car ran under the trailer behind got the car bonnet flattened almost damaging my windscreen and then l knew God was with us as l was push back my seat with something like an airbag and the car came to an halt.

The driver quickly kick start and move the trailer as fast as he could, l came down and was shivering and checked the car, found out the engine was intact and my wife and baby too was save behind me. I had no injury in the process because my seat belt too held me tight and my car airbag was intact as well.

We drove down and headed towards our private hospital. Baby Salman was still breathing. On getting to the hospital he was placed on the drip, injections and oxygen. He was responding and at about 4:30 am Friday morning we headed for Gbagada General Hospital was he was still breathing. We got relived on getting to the children's ward seeing they are capable on reviving the baby.

While waiting for the doctor to come, my wife whispered to me that he was dead. At this moment tears rolled down freely and was calmed by the doctor on arrival. My baby struggled for life, yearning for revival through those journeys he never gave up, baby Salman was a 7months baby delivered in a normal birth even with already discharged placenta in the womb. He came out strong and smiling at will, after 2 days after delivery we were discharged. My hospital was at fault here because we were not willing to go home due to his prematurity but the doctor said we could go home. He ought have been placed on intensive care.

Now l shared this experience with everyone that need to know and to learn from me. Either way l was wrong or right but l know the government owes everybody a duty of care and that can be sued and or be sued for.

Please share my story to everyone on your list maybe it will get to the table of one those killers in government, health ministries, general hospitals and the society at large.

I lost my baby boy to a system failure.

Samson

Please moderators l will be happy and fulfilled if this post hit the front page.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by omogin(f): 1:07pm On Jun 01, 2015
Sad o, pls accept my heartfelt condolences. It is well.
In Nigeria it pays to have lawyers, soldiers and doctors as friends. They could save your life in this messed up and crooked country.
Many managers of govt hospitals steal so much and leave the facilities without basic equipments. If EFCC works as they should, without sacred cow things, Nigeria can and will be better

3 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Jetemmy(f): 1:13pm On Jun 01, 2015
I sympathize with you. But there is a children hospital close to Randle general hospital (Lifeline children's hospital) that specializes in treating only children in which you would have had testimonies now. But all is well, the Lord will grant you and your family fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Delafruita(m): 1:17pm On Jun 01, 2015
eleko1:
There's no need to sue those useless peeps in govt hospital,it is a waste of time/energy.All will be well with the couple
its not always a waste of time.the op suing them could help save the life of another person's baby
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2015
Can Nigeria run a functional health system ? Am beginning to doubt it. I know what my eyes saw late last year in Lagos when my wife needed to see a consultant gynaecologist ! I had to run back to senior colleagues in Akure to save the day ...

Sorry for your loss .

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2015
omogin:
Sad o, pls accept my heartfelt condolences. It is well.
In Nigeria it pays to have lawyers, soldiers and doctors as friends. They could save your life in this messed up and crooked country.
Many managers of govt hospitals steal so much and leave the facilities without basic equipments. If EFCC works as they should, without sacred cow things, Nigeria can and will be better
So on point . Are you a doctor ?
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by chommyAngela: 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
[quoteR.I.P baby salman , mummy and daddy may God give u pple hrt to bear it. Na wa 4 naija o author=wasamtech post=34260942]Its heart breaking that my new baby boy was lost due to systemic failure of government health ministries. On 28th May 4pm thursday evening my baby develop convulsion, l quickly drove him down with my wife to the hospital we had him. We were told he had reacted to jaundice and could only be treated through photo-therapy (blood transfusion) at the general hospital LASUTH ikeja.

He was immediately treated for convulsion and given a reference letter to LASUTH. l immediately drove down to LASUTH IKeja and on arrival we were told there is no (light) to conduct blood transfusion and referred to LUTH idi-araba mushin with an assurance he will be treated.
Baby Salman struggled and raised our hope with normal respiration that he was indeed gonna make it. At LUTH same night, we were told there was no light, no bed, no blood. A bag of blood needed to save his light cost only N5,000.00 but no room for accomdation. He was neither checked nor given first aid.

Students Doctor at LUTH were the doctors on duty at the Children Emergency Ward and said there is nothing they could do. We were referred to Randle General Hospital in Surulere same night same thursday, On getting to Randle, we were waiting for the Doctor while the baby was vomitting seriously and only for the Doctor to announce that he could not be treated there.

We were referred to MASSE General Hospital at Lagos Island same night same day. At Masse hospital, we were told no space to admit him as they have alot of babies to be administered upon. And someone suggested we go to FMC (Federal Medical Center) at Apapa via IDDO Oyingbo. We drove there again same night and on getting there they said they don't do blood transfusion there.

Finally we gave up and decided to go back home around 1 am Friday morning, baby Salman was still battling with life, we decided to locate Gbagada General Hospital on our way back to our private hospital and we lost our way only to end towards Berger instead of Oshodi to locate Gbagada, alas we ended up in an accident.

I rammed under a container truck that was packed on the highway without any safety indication, no back light, no reflective red sticker showing the trailer was not moving, l was about avoiding a trailer that was blowing out heavy smoke, and gradually slammed on my brake immediately l saw the packed trailer and miraculously my car ran under the trailer behind got the car bonnet flattened almost damaging my windscreen and then l knew God was with us as l was push back my seat with something like an airbag and the car came to an halt.

The driver quickly kick start and move the trailer as fast as he could, l came down and was shivering and checked the car, found out the engine was intact and my wife and baby too was save behind me. I had no injury in the process because my seat belt too held me tight and my car airbag was intact as well.

We drove down and headed towards our private hospital. Baby Salman was still breathing. On getting to the hospital he was placed on the drip, injections and oxygen. He was responding and at about 4:30 am Friday morning we headed for Gbagada General Hospital was he was still breathing. We got relived on getting to the children's ward seeing they are capable on reviving the baby.

While waiting for the doctor to come, my wife whispered to me that he was dead. At this moment tears rolled down freely and was calmed by the doctor on arrival. My baby struggled for life, yearning for revival through those journeys he never gave up, baby Salman was a 7months baby delivered in a normal birth even with already discharged placenta in the womb. He came out strong and smiling at will, after 2 days after delivery we were discharged. My hospital was at fault here because we were not willing to go home due to his prematurity but the doctor said we could go home. He ought have been placed on intensive care.

Now l shared this experience with everyone that need to know and to learn from me. Either way l was wrong or right but l know the government owes everybody a duty of care and that can be sued and or be sued for.

Please share my story to everyone on your list maybe it will get to the table of one those killers in government, health ministries, general hospitals and the society at large.

I lost my baby boy to a system failure.

Samson

Please moderators l will be happy and fulfilled if this post hit the front page.[/quote]
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Ewuro4: 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
Kai!!! I'm sorry Mr. Samson. RIP Baby Salman. sad

UCH is even worse with their crazy power outs , where pregnant women in labor have to climb stairs to maternity ward.

God help us, Help Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by eleko1: 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2015
U are on point here but u knw those CMD can frustrate thing with their twist/turn baseless allegations to cover up/countered the OP claim'The baby was brought in dead and bla bla tales'.By the time they toast U around,U'll knw beta.
Delafruita:
its not always a waste of time.the op suing them could help save the life of another person's baby
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Onegai(f): 1:52pm On Jun 01, 2015
OP, name the private hospital you guys used for the birth. If you sit down and "leave it to God", you are merely condemning another child to Salman's fate. On no account does any hospital with a sane qualified doctor releases a pre-term baby, even if the child is so strong as to be drinking Alamo and wrestling physically at birth. I'm speaking from experience, it shouldn't even be a matter of cost, the hospital's job is to save lives.

So what I advise you (and anyone else who has a grevious complaint) is to speak to a lawyer, collate all the facts (including the name of the private hospital you birth in) and send it to every blog. Nigerians hate bad publicity and it's a great way to make them sit up. The lawyer will help you sue (one of my family friends will tell you that he has handled maternity malpractice against big private hospitals like Reddington sef, so yours is a small fish).

Or you can sit here and be collecting our condolences until the next baby suffers like Salman. And the next baby. While everyone is shouting all sorts of ineffectual prayers.

I understand what you went through, my siblings worked and taught at LUTH, Masse and co. And they are all horrified at the corruption and lackadaisical attitude they met there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
lionshare:

This very story brought tears to my eyes! Aside, being emotional Nigerian Health Workers don't give a hoot about their patients. They are so lackadaisical about their work, and if you are not willing to grease their palm they wont do nada, I dont get it; why must i pay you to do your own job? I am not holding forth for the government, but its obvious the Immediate past governor of lagos made some improvements on the health sector, but don't be surprised that some workers are diverting resources meant for the hospital for their own self aggrandizement. This is unfair, a lot of people are dying....

@Op i am sorry for your loss and I pray heaven grant you the fortitude to bear the loss. Also, i think its imperative that you sue the private hospital where your son was delivered and I wish there is a way we can get government to comment on this matter.

At times you can't really blame the health workers esp the doctors. The doctors for instance are really over worked and underpaid, and the government chose to sack them for protesting. Even, we patients attacked them "for selfishness". If you are in such position, will you give in your best?

In addition to those, there are no standard equipments, no light for their functioning etc. I'm opportuned to meet these people frequently and I know what's up.

3 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 01, 2015
rosy27:

thats another case entirely.the doctors on duty were not competent enough to take delivery not to talk of cs and it was in the night between 11pm and 4am.infact they needed to be taking instructions frm their oga on phone cus he was not around before they know what they will do next.it was the oga that suggested its membrane that they should rupture it.cus i was very aware of everthing that was going on. This private hospital is one of the best o. We spent close to 200k just in two weeks that my baby was kept in the nursery. May God help us

I used to think its midwives that take deliveries though I'm aware doctors to are well trained for that. You might not be absolutely correct for saying the doctors are not well trained to take deliveries because there are different types of deliveries depending on how the baby is coming and the nature of the pelvic bones of the women.

Some deliveries need a specialist strictly esp if the baby is lying across or oblique and is preterm in addition. Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by fpeter(f): 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2015
words fail me!

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 01, 2015
cecegorz:

Your story is heart wrenching! I can't imagine all of you running from one 'hospital' to another in the middle of the night, only to be told the same useless stories time and again.
However, I believe that the hospital that delivered your baby is hugely culpable and can be sued for negligence.
Do you know that good hospitals will even insist that a full term jaundiced baby will stay under photo treatment until it fully clears before discharge, how much more for a pre-term baby?
You owe it to the general public, even if you don't want to sue them, to make an official report to the NMA Lagos for proper review of their activities, and sanctions if found wanting.
Strangely, some of these hospitals employ quacks and sub-par consultants, just to make money off unsuspecting public.

Take heart for your son's demise. God will give your family more healthy sons as you desire. But this hospital/doctor must be brought to proper scrutiny.

Is there anything like a sub par consultant? I doubt.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by forlahkhe: 3:45pm On Jun 01, 2015
Hmm....sorry for ur loss, may God comfort u. I lost my precious mother too tru ds non challant attitudes of Doctors. My mother had intestinal obstruction bt we couldn't afford d bill(#150,000) by a private hosp in ijebu ode so we brought her to lagos hoping to get a better and cheaper service besides my sis is based in lagos. When we got to gbagada general hosp, she was placed in emmergency unit. She had endogastric tube to evacuate her intestinal content. She has not eaten for 4weeks since she bcame sick. She was placed on drip. Later d surgeons came and each person wl com and press her stomach(swollen & painful) and prescribe drip. They later booked her for surgery and demanded #40k(cheaper we tot), they said she shd b transferred to ward B where no relative would slp wt her, those in ward B ar expected to b taken care by d nurses. They wl b d 1 to giv dem food and care of them. Ward B is neater and silent bt wen we transferred mom there we saw dt d reverse was d promise they made. They leave d patients to wallow in pain unattended to. They just giv drugs and change drip and d nurses go bak to their common room to gossip. 3 days before surgery, we were asked to go do scan nd x-ray for mum, they rejected d results of those ones we av with us. What baffles me is dt despited plenty x-ray centres around gbagada hospital, we were instructed to go to mary- land, its either mary land or none. So, we left gbagada in the morning (11am) and on getting to maryland their x-ray machine is faulty. They didi only d scan for us, because of traffic we got back to gbagada @ 7pm; my mummy was in serious pain, she was just crying all through. D only source of strenght my mummy had was d drip which we have removed since morning and when we got back @ night, d nurses ddnt show any concern dt my mum was weak, it was wt pleading they put back her drip for her. Diff. Things happened dt I can't stat explaining now....to cut d story short, d D-day for d surgery came. We were all happy full of hope.( Meanwhile, since they ddnt allow us sleep wt our patients in ward B, I used to go and peep @ my mum in d mid night and I always c her crying in pain with nobody attending to her.) The MD, Dr Orhiafor came and checked on my mum, he asked us to get blood frm blood bank wch we did, we got everytin ready for d surgery. They av worn d green overall for mum for d surgery(10am) and Doc. Orhiafor told Dr sholanke( d surgeon managing mum b4)to step out of d case and he asked Doc. Tunji(TJ) to com in then he went through our file, he sed he won't do d surgery w.out d x-ray result and we told him wot happent; there he took is phone to call the owner of d diagnostics centre and he sed their machine has been repaired. So dr orhiafor asked us to take mummy back to maryland for d x-ray. Immediately mum heard dt, she started crying(orhiafor shouldn't av sed it in her presence) and she bcame cold. We begged and begged that they shd allow us do it @ a near by, they sed NO. Orhiafor said he would come bak for d surgery in 2days time cos d following day is a public holiday and wen my mummy heard dt too, she was crying dt she can't hold d pain for 2more days again. Mum bcame cold and started shivering seriously, I quickly ran to d theatre(there's an office there) to call on d Drs bt sholanke sent me away and TJ was busy playing with a woman. I ran to Orhiafor and he sed" go n call d younger doctors or is it me dt wl now follow u, common get out" I left in tears and disappointment. Wen I got bak, my mum was already gasping(4pm) I ran again to emmergency and pleaded to 1 Doc to follow me and giv her some hope, wen d Doc got there, he just sed"pele o" and he went to nurses common room and was asking y they don't have cold cocacola in their fridge.....when d nurses saw dt my trouble is too much, they gave me an endless list of drip and injection to go and buy @ the pharmacy. I rushed down to buy( I ddnt even collect change) and on getting back they have placed mum on oxygen bt I noticed that they ddnt put on the oxygen & when I told them they shouted @ me and said" when u know all ds y bring ur mother to d hospital". My mother struggled till she later gave up. When she died (8pm)we wanted to take her corpse bt d nurses sed they must take her to mortuary and we wl pay 10k to get her, we had to beg again to get our corpse oo. We ddnt even get death certificate cos d person to stamp has closed. I later learnt dt docs would refer patients to diagnostics centre where they get their own percentage on every money they patient pays. D nurses too said they know dt what the Drs ar doing is nt proper bt they(nurses) can't attend to surgery patients because the Doc wl hold them responsible incase their flup so they are sorry that they watched my mum died

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by DrGroove(f): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2015
Loss of a child is not a man's loss. Why are you ranting n faking emotions? or is it because it was a baby boy? Allow your wife, the real person,who has lost this baby be the chief mourner.not you.
You are a man...You can have hundred of that child within one year
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by yetseyi(f): 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
DrGroove:
Loss of a child is not a man's loss. Why are you ranting n faking emotions? or is it because it was a baby boy? Allow your wife, the real person,who has lost this baby be the chief mourner.not you.
You are a man...You can have hundred of that child within one year

Have some sympathy.
Try to be a bit sensitive, all what you just typed is totally uncalled for.

4 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Sirniyeh(m): 4:50pm On Jun 01, 2015
Hun un un Nigerian!
Brother, Kindly accept my condolence...Twins Ahead

This reminds me the case of my third born in year 2011at UCH Ibadan.

Could you believe that with emergency, my son was abandoned for 24hrs. We arrived with ambulance exactly 12noon and they didn't operate him until the following 12noon even at the point of death. As big as UCH, we could not get oxygen as the boy had gone already!

Thank God for good Samaritan among the patients who sacrificed her own oxygen for my son to survive him till following day because he could not breath on his own.

Our health sector is deadly. Time will not permit me to narrate all I encountered at UCH. Had it been I lost the boy, I had sworn to set the whole hospital ablaze. (No be joke oooo) Glory be to God, the boy is alive.

FOUR THINGS Favour Me:

1. Prayer: it is not academic or gentle man praying. If you have the spiritual understanding, you can withhold life for 12hrs with prayer additives...sometimes, at the critical point, fear complicates issue. While my wife was crying, I carried the baby inside lonely and performed what I know how to do best. (Spiritual Insurance). Later we entered ambulance. Infact, I became laughing stock before people...

2. Internet: infact, I read beyond my profession. I read wide. I had equipped myself with knowledge about the illness to the extent I was even putting the so-claimed Doctor through. Knowledge is paramount. Because no one is 100% perfect especially the quack professionals that our system are producing this day.

3. Money: Chai...money answereth all things. Inspite of prayer and knowledge, if cash is not available, it could have been another story. Money may deprive some people from going to standard hospital...note

4. Integrity: Hun un un there is law of Karma. If you are kind to people especially at the critical times, favour can never elude you as well. Preserve lives either by kindness or cash, it is called spiritual insurance. I have dedicated my life to RESCUE MISSION. So, my goodness favoured me as good Samaritan voluntarily sacrifised her own Oxygen..

Please permit me to use this medium to preach.
We need to innovate our mind beyond sympathy.

RIP to the dead

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Lobolintin(m): 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2015
Yoi could have used sunlight ....... My niece had such and we used direct sunlight in the afternoon
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by MnenaSadiku(f): 8:21pm On Jun 01, 2015
I am so sorry for your loss. The Lord grant you and your family the fortitude to bear the loss of baby Salman. Take care.

All these stories sef! May God help us in Nigeria. Corruption has eaten deep into very fabric of this nation. From the leaders to the followers. Can you imagine doctors and nurses playing with the lives of people? Na wa o! angry

I pray that this new wind of change will blow to our health sector o!!!

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by seyesko(m): 8:24pm On Jun 01, 2015
This is very touching. Accept my condolence, R.I.P Salman.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by TCD: 8:36pm On Jun 01, 2015
lolly2pops:
May God see you and your loved ones through these trying times. I have found myself in similar situations as you before and this is what I have learnt, not that you need to know this now but for many others to take note. May you be strengthened in Jesus' name.

Most times convulsion in infants and toddlers are due to high fever associated with viral or bacterial infections. If all these hospitals you went to could not accommodate the child, all they needed to do was break that fever before you guys left. This can be done by using infant fever suppositories and ensuring that the child is kept in a well ventilated environment with no clothes on. A cold bath can also help. A baby with convulsions must always be laid on their side and not be restricted. Any other position may cause the child to choke in their own vomit/saliva or even swallow their tongue , which will eventually see them cease breathing. The most important part is prayer for only God holds the key to life and death.
I think it's better you educate yourself and stop misinforming others with wrong Info which might lead to loss of life. convulsions in children can be fever related or non fever related. even simple hypoglycemia can make a child convulse.i wonder which cold bath , fever suppositories and fresh air will correct hypoglycemia which can be fatal.

3 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by TCD: 8:44pm On Jun 01, 2015
@wasamtech what was the birth weight of your baby?
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by tunesoft(m): 8:55pm On Jun 01, 2015
I must say, Am so sorry about your loss. It's so unfortunate that this is happens in most hospitals in lagos. However, we must not be quick to judge that health workers are at fault...like, for one: we say the private hospital does not have a ICU?. Answer...will you say because there is no ICU a hospital should not function? If Yes..then there will virtually be no private hospital in lagos. Running an ICU/NICU is expensive...constant electricity..(which the Government can't guarantee, diesel for generator is gold, so really...I don't blame the private hospital much....but I must say...abinitio the hospital shouldn't have taken the delivery. They should have reffered knowing very well they don't have the facilities for complications that might ensue. Guess greed on thier part. 2. For refferal system being poor..yes very poor....what do you expect or lasuth...that is the refering point for over 1000 babies born in lagos per day..when capacity s just in tens in this hospital. So u want them to take the patient..knowing fully well they can do little or nothing for d baby. Sharply we are quick to tackle the docs and nurses on duty....if the photothepary unit in an hospital is 10...will the nurses or docs turn themselves to photo units? Or turn themselves to diesel to run Gen in a Nigeria we are all in...and fuel be like Gold everywhere..and the so called idiots going on strike were not told to make available fuel to life saving instituitions...yet if health workers go on strike for these issues above people will chastise them for leaving the masses to die. Yet we are the ones that leave the masses at the mercy of Nigerian factor. Before I submit, while I might be a partisan to the idea of suing health workers or CMDs...we should remember 1st that we are all still in Nigeria where we are still struggling....Get me a hospital that has a 30 bedded capacity NICU....or with functioning incubators...uninterrupted power supply...with WHO standard of at least A nurse to 2-3 patients...at least 3 specialists...(still standard), with functioning 5 ambulances, well paid medical Officers and Nurses..and other health officers...WHO standardised Laboraoties. Like 6-8 of such facilities spread around lagos. Then and only then can u sue a worker for reffering without doing nothing. Are we aware that the total number of ICUs in lagos for adult is just about 30-40 including private oo. The whole lagos oo....megacity. Luth has about just 6-7 functioning ICU beds...yet when they refer say no bed space...we all want to cut off the health care workers head. We must not all wait till we..our parents...our children..our friends...our families become victims before we cry out. (as some people will say now..'God forbid'...) well sha...Na Naija we all still dey. Period

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by tammie24: 9:34pm On Jun 01, 2015
Oh!
I'm in tears
I have a 5months plus old
She smiles so much
As a mother, stories like this kills me

It is well
May God grant you the fortitude to bear the loss
And may God give you the one that will bring back ur Joy(Amen)

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by rosy27(f): 9:58pm On Jun 01, 2015
Lobolintin:
Yoi could have used sunlight ....... My niece had such and we used direct sunlight in the afternoon
sun wetin? I pray u will not give birth to a preterm baby cus with preterm u go no say jundice get level, preterm babies are prone to jundice at a very high level and those of us that had premature babies may God protect them. At the same time i will advise u read more about jundice on the internet so that if we see any baby with jundice we wont advice they keep the babay at home for any traditional treatment cus the more it stays in their body, the more damage it does to the brain. Nobody pray for cerebral pulsy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus / Seun Omobo Emerges Chairperson Of The FIP-YPG / Man Who Woke Up From 244 Day Coma, Dies After He Was Hit By A Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.