Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,574 members, 7,816,414 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum (33977 Views)

Free Online Training On Clothes And Crafts / Free Online Training On Clothes And Crafts / Make up and Gele tying training - Master the arts and crafts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum by NigerMan1: 2:07pm On Jun 01, 2015
Jobneeded12:

The superior race has always been yoruba/Edo see arts

Jobneeded12 - Superior race? Jesus! And this is coming from a graduate? First they're NOT race but sub-tribes of the larger BLACK RACE.

My dear I bleed in my heart so much the damage modern politicians and tribal leader have injected into this country via-a-viz the youth. In history and even in the affairs of men, races, tribe, tradition and culture are not superior to the other. Everyone bring something tangible to the table, at one time or the other, to make the whole.

However this salient virtue has been LOST in Nigeria chiefly because political and tribal leaders in their quest for supremacy and CONTROL over the citizen's mindset and conscience, enacted this mantra of "we are better than you.....bal bla bla"

And if you say Edo/Yoruba were superior. what would you said about the Kanuris, the Nupes, Igalas, Fulanis etc? Again my dear, there're nothing known or recorded as "Yoruba arts" in the ancient culture.
Re: Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum by NigerMan1: 2:07pm On Jun 01, 2015
scholes0:
Shebi the Binis said they have nothing to do with Yoruba people ancestrally, yet they worship well known Yoruba Gods like Olokun, Osun, Sango, Oduduwa and Ogun, while Yoruba do not worship any Edo/Bini gods/goddesses
But not doubt, the Yorubas and the Edos were by far the best art makers in all of Sub Saharan Africa. (Especially when it had to do with sculptures and carvings)

If you'd done enough research you won't type this vain conclusion. I will continue to remind you guys about the real "Yoruba" origin itself, so you can stop supplanting the olden days/ancient events with the modern.

You Wrote: "known Yoruba Gods like Olokun, Osun, Sango, Oduduwa and Ogun, while Yoruba do not worship any Edo/Bini gods/goddesses"

You have no business discussing history, if you think and conclude that those gods were/are today's Yoruba origin. They're NOT. For example, ONOKUN (Olokun) is 100% Benin god and still exist today.

However then Benin introduced ONOKUN (Sea Goddess) worship among other gods and tradition to Lagos. The word "OKUN" is also Benin etymological but being used by modern day Yoruba lexicon.

In the same vein, many parts of present day Yorubaland such as Ekiti and Ondo were once ruled by Benin and those gods were also introduced.

About Ancestry: That's a different ball game altogether, why quick to mix two unrelated issues? This is the problem about you Yorubas when you deliberately throw FACTS to the wind to grandstand.

Today, you Yorubas worship the IGUNUKO Masquerade which originated from Nupe about 175-220 years. Now do we conclude that NUPE is Yoruba ancestry? Maybe...

The word/title "OBA" is also 100% Benin origin but being used in many parts of present day yorubaland. Now do we conclude that all Yorubas have Benin ancestry? Maybe...

You Wrote: "But not doubt, the Yorubas and the Edos were by far the best art makers in all of Sub Saharan Africa..."

This is not true at all. Again it shows you should not be contributing to historical discourse of this nature at all. And I say this with due respect sir/ma.

Many of you rush to conclusion of our collective history based on your present political and tribal leanings; thereby ERODING possibilities of having only the TRUTH as our standard record.

What is Yoruba Arts? There was nothing known in recorded ancient history as "Yoruba arts". What are recorded are: Benin arts, Ife arts, Igbo Ukwu arts etc.
Re: Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum by NigerMan1: 2:36pm On Jun 01, 2015
twosquare:
Nigerman1 don dey spew ignorance since....even till 1897? Oookay....perhaps I should know whom the Ekitis were fighting their domination in Kiriji war then....Like Shymm3x said, Ife birth those two great Empires and that's the bedrock of the two civilizations and that's also why the heads of benin kings where buried there in ancient times. It is
symbolic.

twosquare - Oh I see. So Nigerman1 is ignorance while you choose to believe a tribal narrative created by your Yoruba leaders and writers in the 1950s about Benin origin?

As for what Shymm3x said, he merely REGURGITATED the spurious Yoruba folklores without evidence. So is an old UNFOUNDED story among you modern Yorubas to CONSOLE yourself. And this inform the reason you hate to be challenged to prove, rather you resort to insults and abuse.

If you can get off the lies you'd been told from the cradle, dust up your mindset and do more research and INVESTIGATE "If the present day Yorubaland was the same 200, 400, 500, 700, 950 years ago..." you will blown away by the truth.

Oh and you spewed that Yoruba created lies again - "Benin kings were buried..."
Can you back it up with facts and figures?

The Ekiti parapo war was MORE present than ancient. Long before the Ekiti war, the entire land of present day Ekiti/Ondo was 100% vassal to the Oba of Benin.
Re: Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum by NigerMan1: 2:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
macof:

As at 1893 Ekiti had become a powerful independent united nation who fought the ruthless and daring Ibadan to a stand still to secure that. Bini never held the "whole" of Ekiti... wat like 3 kingdoms out of 16 has turned into "whole"
cheesy
anyway no reason to take an Esan (who's history is unknown) anti-yoruba Bini slave seriously

macof - why challenging only a SMALL part of my post and facts? Why don't you tell me that the Benin Kings never rule over any part of present Ondo/Ekiti state?

Would you dispute the fact that the "The Deji of Akure" originally known as UDEZI was not a vassal king to the Oba of Benin till 1897? Please if this sound strange to you, before you start abusing me, go and found out about this truth.
Re: Nigerian Arts And Crafts On Display At The British Museum by akigbemaru: 6:45am On Jun 19, 2015
YOURUBA BENIN AND IGBO KINGDOMS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Checkout This Hilarious Makeup Transformation / Makeup Artiste Dies While Returning From An N8k Bridal Job - Picture / 8 Signs Your Tailor Is Going To Disappoint You (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.