Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Pidgin English: Do You Know What A Meme Is? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin English: Do You Know What A Meme Is? (2254 Views)

Interesting Fact About Pidgin English / Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Nigeria's Pidgin English Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pidgin English: Do You Know What A Meme Is? by wetinhappen(m): 4:53am On May 31, 2015
I'm sure you've noticed a word like 'meme' these days on the internet. You have, abi? I have too sha, but I can't really tell what made this word get so much attention from me today. May be, na curiosity or perhaps an accident but ‘at-all, at-all na im bad pass’, we'll learn about this word today.

A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture" You may have seen ‘memes’ online but I bet you didn’t know those things are called ‘meme’. Ya, me too! I no bin sabi oo! Okay, for some online meme samples (mme uto iko mbakara’do aba) I’ve attached a couple of them.

Y-e-a-h!! You’re shouting now! Yes, those things are called ‘memes’.

With a hot cup if Lipton Tea beside me, I had paused a bit, trying to figure-out what possibly could be those ideas, behavior, or style that had spread from person to person in Uyo.

Remember, it could be tangible or non-tangible. It could be seen but not felt. You're free to think about such memes in your neighborhood too! Can you pick any? Write them down. I really want to read them. Like seriously, I ‘really-really’ want to read them.

Have you ever spent a moment of your thoughts on your neighborhood? Like, do you really consider yourself an ‘area person?’ Do you appreciate the beauty of nature? How many people you really sabi for ya area? How many home-boys know you? Do you have love? Do you really have love… for your neighborhood? Anyway, ‘Make I ress (rest) mbok before ‘ntongo n-speak in tongues nte etubom abob asiak aying.’

‘Ikisuk ikama mkpo ‘meme’ ami k’ubok! For Uyo, I tried writing down a few scenarios. There was a time in Uyo where we had ‘Sai Monkey’, 'Mben kodido (corridor) and the 'Wale-enye ke neck' boys terrorizing the entire length of Abak road from Qua Ibeo Church ke Plaza to Ikot Oku Ikono junction.

If you can't remember or simply don't know about these things as 'Owo Uyo afo'dohgo', 'Da, even messenger obong idung mbufo afon ukan!' Any way, do intimate us if you need to know. Just drop your appeal by commenting to this post. I'm sure other readers will be willing to help. Da, kuu’togho oo, k’ubre mbre oo!

So what was the 'meme' then? If a man passes you by, and accidentally hits his shoulder against yours (anywhere along Abak road back then), you will agree with me that the only action you'd take is first, touch your wallet then your 'private parts', okay for the church people, 'vital organs'. Shey you grab?

One other meme would be the idea of you 'shinning your eyes' whenever you enter a certain area in the t-a-a-a-n-g (town).

Back then, Etuk/Nsasak street 'still dey hot’, Akpan Essien, Itam street, Jubilee, Urua Ekpa, EMCO Lane, Aka Etinan, Ekpenyong, Ekpanya, Itam Junction, Eka Street, Use, Mbribit, Ikot Okubo, plenty!

Can you recall other b-a-a-a-d areas in Uyo back then? Please share it with us. Just make a comment. What was the 'meme' back then in such areas?

Okay, apart from the ones I've mentioned, can you share 'memes' in other aspects of your experience in in this t-a-a-a-n-g (town)?
‘Nte ata’awo Uyo afoo’dogho’, No fall your hands oo. If you have read to this point, there’s no way ‘muuduu’aka icomment ke post ami.

Let me see how much of ‘Owo Uyo’ you really are!

Ekpo tua ekpo!

Ikpa wed mkpo oo!

Re: Pidgin English: Do You Know What A Meme Is? by bewla(m): 5:56am On May 31, 2015
grab your copy now
Re: Pidgin English: Do You Know What A Meme Is? by tpiadotcom: 6:39am On May 31, 2015
op you need Jesus for sure.
Re: Pidgin English: Do You Know What A Meme Is? by sogtek: 7:23am On Feb 12, 2017
Do want to know more about uber campy and how you can take advantage of it by using to get a cheap taxi...click the link below
http://www.sogtek.com/uber-uber-taxi-uber-work-request-uber-taxi/

(1) (Reply)

Marriage Culture In Jukun Land The Jukun People With Their Rich Afro-asiatic He / Is There Any Culture In Igboland That Does Not Allow Women To See Men When Eatin / Meet Olori Adebukola Ogunwusi, Wife Of Newly Crowned Ooni Of Ife(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.