Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father (2030 Views)

Having Trouble With Your Drivers, Get A Professional Driver In Abuja Or Lagos / I Need To Buy A Gift For My Girlfriend's Father! / Am In Trouble With The Wife I Married Today Saturday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by ChrisF: 5:41am On Jun 01, 2015
My girlfriend and I started dating 8 months ago, and I only recently met her father 2 weeks ago because he had been in Nigeria on business. Her mom loves me and we get along very well, and she even taught me how to make gbegiri and ewedu soup, but her father seems very cold and dismissive toward me, and he barely even acknowledges my presence when I greet him. My girlfriend told me that he doesn't have a good history with black Americans, because some of them robbed his convenience store many years ago. What can I do to make him see that I'm not a bad guy? I have a degree, a good job, and I come from a good family, so I don't see what the big deal is. I just don't think it's right to come into a man's house, knowing I'm dating his daughter, and not have any sort of report with him.

Please, if you guys have any suggestions on how to deal with this situation, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by chineloSA(f): 6:18am On Jun 01, 2015
Dude exercise some patience and continue being nice, he may eventually come around. smiley smiley

Buy him something that he loves and bring up interesting conversations.

It's not like you can confront him, abi. Don't even think about going there. smiley
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by bewla(m): 6:19am On Jun 01, 2015
take it slowly ur time will come
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by thorpido(m): 6:32am On Jun 01, 2015
Exercise patience.Love conquers.
He's had a bad experience with black americans like you said so you won't expect him to warm up to you easily.
Keep greeting him whenever you meet him and try to have some conversations but don't force it.Just exchange few words and that's okay.You could buy a bottle of wine and give him.

Most importantly,keep being the good man that you say you are.Your ways will convince him.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 01, 2015
Good fathers dont joke with their daughters.

The robbery is just an excuse, he knows that he cant judge a whole race based on one persons behavior.

You gilfriends dad is going through a phase of understanding that his baby daughter is grown up and another man will be looking after her.

He will come round

Just continue to be civil and friendly towards him, but most importantly treat his daughter right. That in the end will be the factor that will warm his heart towards you.

I repeat . . .Treat his daughter right.

all the best

2 Likes

Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by ChrisF: 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2015
Thank you all for the suggestions. Yeah, I sort of got the impression that confronting him would not be a wise option. I think I'll try the gift idea, and see how he responds.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by KanwuliaJara: 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2015
Erm. . . . .

Nigerian women do not last long with African American males o.
I don't know ANY.

Her father has every reason to be concerned.
I would be.

But I would not interfere.
I will allow her a chance at happiness.
If you know anything about AFRICAN DADS and their daughters, it should not be surprising to you.
As long as the father does not accept you, YOU HAVE NO FUTURE WITH HIS DAUGHTER.

Please, say goodbye to her as fast as you can! kiss
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by SAMBARRY: 8:06pm On Jun 01, 2015
I thought you usually sing that nigerian men are for nigerian women and vice versa cheesy
KanwuliaJara:
Erm. . . . .

I don't know ANY.

I would be.

If you know anything about AFRICAN DADS and their daughters, it should not be surprising to you.
As long as the father does not accept you, YOU HAVE NO FUTURE WITH HIS DAUGHTER.

Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by KanwuliaJara: 9:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I thought you usually sing that nigerian men are for nigerian women and vice versa cheesy

I did not change my views.
But anyone is free to "mis-adventure" or "para-adventure"!
Or "BONAventure" kpa-kpa! grin
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Stillfire: 10:13pm On Jun 01, 2015
Nigerian fathers are only interested in knowing about your intentions to marry their daughters, and not about you 'dating' their daughters.
No, he won't hold you to high esteem, until your intention to marry his daughter is clear.
I'm sure he's pissed you had the guts to come to his house without marriage on the agenda, lol. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Stillfire: 10:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Erm. . . . .
I don't know ANY.
I would be.

This combination is rare. You are even more likely to see Nigerian women with a White man than a Nigerian woman and African american.
The only AA male and naija female combination I know, the naija woman father is not alive.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by SAMBARRY: 10:45pm On Jun 01, 2015
grin
KanwuliaJara:

I did not change my views.
But anyone is free to "mis-adventure" or "para-adventure"!
Or "BONAventure" kpa-kpa! grin
grin grin
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by SAMBARRY: 10:49pm On Jun 01, 2015
Stillfire:

This combination is rare. You are even more likely to see Nigerian women with a White man than a Nigerian woman and African american.
The only AA male and naija female combination I know, the naija woman father is not alive.
Jim iyke and his half aa and half Jamaican girlfriend nko? cheesy

they were together for a while before the 2 use beating to quench themselves before they seperated grin

they even fit each other. 2 aggressive and hot tempered partners. Relationship in paradise cheesy grin
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by KanwuliaJara: 12:04am On Jun 02, 2015
Stillfire:

You say rare?
I have NEVER seen that o!
E nor dey happen!
For GOOOOOOOOOD reasons! kiss

Unless na for "CARD"!
Even then. . . . Na HAYWIRE! grin
I cannot attempt to TRY it o!
The utmost regret in life! cry

From frying pan to HELL FAYA!!!!
Na GANJA una go chop for breakfast, lunch and dinner 365 days pah-ya ke!

Muchechecheche

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by SAMBARRY: 7:51am On Jun 02, 2015
Like you already know Jim and his girlfriend relationship was like grin
KanwuliaJara:

You say rare?
I have NEVER seen that o!
E nor dey happen!
For GOOOOOOOOOD reasons! kiss

Unless na for "CARD"!
Even then. . . . Na HAYWIRE! grin
I cannot attempt to TRY it o!
The utmost regret in life! cry

From frying pan to HELL FAYA!!!!
Na GANJA una go chop for breakfast, lunch and dinner 365 days pah-ya ke!

Muchechecheche
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Phut(f): 10:35am On Jun 02, 2015
Stillfire:
Nigerian fathers are only interested in knowing about your intentions to marry their daughters, and not about you 'dating' their daughters.
No, he won't hold you to high esteem, until your intention to marry his daughter is clear.
I'm sure he's pissed you had the guts to come to his house without marriage on the agenda, lol. cheesy

ROFL @ your last sentence. You speak the truth
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Jamean(f): 11:16am On Jun 02, 2015
Just be patient..be yourself too. Don't try to impress him.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by KanwuliaJara: 11:41am On Jun 02, 2015
SAMBARRY:
Like you already know Jim and his girlfriend relationship was like grin

Yep!

AKATASTROPHIC! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by omoharry(f): 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2015
Stillfire:
yaaa! you have a point. I remember when i was growing up, my sister husbands never came to the house while dey were still dating...the only time they came was when they have stated their intention to marry my sisters. so you may be right.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by ChrisF: 5:18pm On Jun 02, 2015
Stillfire:

Hmm, I never really thought about it that way...In the Afro-American culture, meeting the parents of the person you are dating is considered normal, just as long as it's a serious relationship and not a fling. I have every intention of marrying this woman, but I also see no reason to rush into such a large, and life altering decision. I wonder if it would be best to avoid visiting her at her house until I'm prepared to make a proposal.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by raumdeuter: 6:30pm On Jun 02, 2015
Most fathers are cautious of young men and their daughters

How old is the girl and how old are you?

if both of you are matured and you look responsible enough to get married he would turn around

How many fathers immediately warm up to their son in law? It takes time
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by SAMBARRY: 6:35pm On Jun 02, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

Yep!

AKATASTROPHIC! cheesy
the effect of weed did wonders on the 2 of them well cheesy grin
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by armyofone(m): 8:11pm On Jun 02, 2015
Just have good intentions and not out to play long term boyfriend and girlfriend thing, eat or chop clean mouth and walk away. No play thing...your seriousness with the relationship will win him.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 03, 2015
ChrisF:
My girlfriend and I started dating 8 months ago, and I only recently met her father 2 weeks ago because he had been in Nigeria on business. Her mom loves me and we get along very well, and she even taught me how to make gbegiri and ewedu soup, but her father seems very cold and dismissive toward me, and he barely even acknowledges my presence when I greet him. My girlfriend told me that he doesn't have a good history with black Americans, because some of them robbed his convenience store many years ago. What can I do to make him see that I'm not a bad guy? I have a degree, a good job, and I come from a good family, so I don't see what the big deal is. I just don't think it's right to come into a man's house, knowing I'm dating his daughter, and not have any sort of report with him.

Please, if you guys have any suggestions on how to deal with this situation, I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Maybe he is expecting you to lay down flat when you see him and you insist on standing on your two feet
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 03, 2015
I suspect this is a cooked up story! I doubt if an American who is educated like the OP claims would right "report" instead of "rapport"

1 Like

Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by lovemaths(f): 10:04am On Jun 03, 2015
Babymama1:

Maybe he is expecting you to lay down flat when you see him and you insist on standing on your two feet
lol as in Yoruba way of greeting.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by ChrisF: 4:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
raumdeuter:
Most fathers are cautious of young men and their daughters

How old is the girl and how old are you?

if both of you are matured and you look responsible enough to get married he would turn around

How many fathers immediately warm up to their son in law? It takes time

I am 25, she is 24. You have a point, I didn't expect him to warm up to me immediately, but I also didn't expect the "cold shoulder" I have been getting.
Re: Black American Having Trouble With My Nigerian Girlfriend's Father by ChrisF: 5:06pm On Jun 03, 2015
jcmaiah:
I suspect this is a cooked up story! I doubt if an American who is educated like the OP claims would right "report" instead of "rapport"

That's messed up lol, my degree is in mechanical engineering, and everybody knows engineers can't spell cry

(1) (Reply)

New Moms Guide / This Lady Needs Your Advise / Training! Training!! Training!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.