Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,085 members, 7,821,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He (735 Views)

Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far / What Number Comes After Trillion? See The Name Of The World Largest Numbers / Tough English Tongue Twisters To Help Your Grammar And Pronunciation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by alfredo1(m): 5:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
HOW FAR CAN ONE GO WHEN COUNTING NATURAL NUMBERS IN YOUR MOTHER TONGUE BEFORE HE/SHE BEGINS TO INCORPORATE ANOTHER LANGUAGE OR COMPLETELY COME TO A STOP?
Ever wondered how far you can go in counting natural numbers? This was the question I asked myself this evening when my little sister, Trustline Alfred, was learning how to count natural numbers to one hundred. Unfortunately I may say, she could only count to 20 correctly after which she began to skip some numbers. Not too bad for her age though.
With that thought going through my mind, it occurs to me that different languages also have limit to how far one can go in counting natural numbers before one either begins to incorporate another language or even come to a halt. It’s however a fact that natural numbers has no limit. They start from zero (0) to infinity.
In English language for instance, one can count natural numbers from zero (0) to 999,999,999,999,999 (this figure is open for corrections).i.e nine hundred and ninety-nine trillion Nine hundred and ninety-nine billion Nine hundred and ninety-nine million Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand Nine hundred and ninety-nine. I am sure the igbo guys in the house will add naira to this figure. Beyond this figure people begin to use words like zillion, bazillion etc. It’s important to note that zillion is not a natural number. It is used humorously to describe large numbers.
In hausa language however, one can only count from ‘sifili’ (zero) to ‘dubu dari tara da chasa’in da tara Da dari tara da chasa’in da tara’ (i.e 999,999) beyond which English language is been incorporated. For example, million daya (1,000,000), billion biyu (2,000,000,000).
Coming down to my mother tongue – adara language of the Adara ethnic group in Kaduna state. One can only count from ‘izi’ (i.e one) to ‘atadi abauzi ni ishibauzi ni bauzi’ (i.e 999). Beyond this figure we begin to bring in hausa language and subsequently English language. For example ‘adubu ata’ (i.e 3,000). Dubu is a hausa word.
So guys, how far can one go when counting natural numbers in your mother tongue before he/she begins to incorporate another language or completely come to a stop?
Cc Godwin Gagai Alfred AkA dat ADARA boy AKA sneakG AKA Alfredo

1 Like

Re: How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by ese79(m): 6:56pm On Jun 01, 2015
wow... Alright. I guess the op wil give me a little time let me start counting and see where i can reach....
Re: How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by ese79(m): 6:57pm On Jun 01, 2015
wow... Alright. I guess the op wil av to give me a little time to start counting and see hw far i can go ...ovo, ive, era', eni, ...abeg am comin op....meanwhile, i rep urhobo!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by alfredo1(m): 6:58pm On Jun 01, 2015
^^^^
OK. No qualms. Waiting...
Re: How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by Olami90: 7:01am On Jan 10, 2019
Good morning alfredo1

Please I need to discuss with you pertaining to Udusok. Your input will be greatly needed and appreciated.

It is a bit urgent and I have sent you pm and I am looking forward to you giving me your time.

I actually want us to talk off Nairaland, possibly WhatsApp.

Thanks much.
Re: How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by Olami90: 7:03am On Jan 10, 2019
alfredo1:
^^^^ OK. No qualms. Waiting...
I dropped a message for you earlier and also a pm. I need you to come up timely please.
Thanks much
Re: How Far Can One Go When Counting Natural Numbers In Your Mother Tongue Before He by hos4x(m): 9:30am On Jan 10, 2019
Why will I want to say one million in my local dialect?

If I say I want to give you one million and you say "ehn"
The money don go be that

(1) (Reply)

Funny Answer By A Student / University Of Ilorin Is The Most Chosen University In Nigeria By Jambites. / BSU Medical Student Besiege Vc's Office With Dead Body Of Colleague

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.