Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,555 members, 7,850,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:36 AM

BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch (48960 Views)

APC Senators' Truce Talks Upset Saraki’s Alliance With PDP. / Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" / Check Out This Fight Between Biafrans,bbc & Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by olaniyanc: 7:33am On Jun 04, 2015
olaniyanc:

Aisha Buhari is a hard working lady. Aisha is not a treasury looter and not flashy . She doesn't has to dress like a pauper to represent Nigeria. She doesn't asked anybody to be stoned to death like Mama Piss from Okrika because of power and filthy lucres.
We love you Aisha. Your Excellency.You must keep looking young and beautiful.

Up Nigeria. The African Giant.

Sai BUHARI
Sai Jagaban

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by FreeGlobe(f): 7:34am On Jun 04, 2015
the luxury homes in asokoro is next.. Nigerians have been swindled by APC

3 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 04, 2015
Nigerians and luxury are twins. Nigerians are the highest spenders in the UK. they like to live extravagantly; their senators earn more the President of USA. Bunch of confused people. smh seriously.

http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/nigerians-are-highest-spenders-at-heathrow-airport-shop/

3 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by tommykiwi(m): 7:35am On Jun 04, 2015
Una neva start to complaint oh! Na change una want,change is here already.

3 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Umarmusa1988(m): 7:36am On Jun 04, 2015
all4naija:
This old woman and her husband are going to spend the nation income as their personal money. angry
undecidedsad

NAFDAC pls come to nairaland some dey take weed before dey comment ooo.
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 04, 2015
talktimi:
Photos of Nigeria's first lady wearing an expensive watch led some Nigerians to ask whether they undermine President Buhari's "man of the people" image.

In March, Muhammadu Buhari was elected as Nigeria's new president after a campaign which took a strong anti-corruption stance. Buhari underlined his humble credentials by raising money from ordinary voters. He even had to stretch his finances to pay the fee to register as a candidate.

This image was diluted somewhat when his wife, Aisha Buhari, was pictured wearing an expensive-looking watch at her husband's inauguration last week and these images were shared on the Instagram account of the photographer George Okoro.

Nigerian press described it as a Cartier Baignoire Folle 18-carat white gold diamond timepiece that was estimated to cost around $50,000 - more than £30,000 or about 10m Nigerian naira. Others, however, pointed out that knockoff versions are available for as little as $100.

Aisha Buhari's watch - the real version at least - retails for tens of thousands online

Aisha Buhari's watch - the real version at least - retails for tens of thousands online

Around 3,000 tweets mentioning the first lady's name and the word "watch" have been posted. Many were critical and raised a sceptical eyebrow about where Mrs Buhari might have got the money to buy such an expensive piece of jewellery. "Aisha Buhari will be wearing a N10million watch and her husband told us he borrowed money to buy his presidential nomination form," said Twitter user Kate Vincent.

But others defended her: "Aisha Buhari didn't use Nigeria's money to buy her watch so what exactly is the problem? Am i missing something? Why is it a big deal?" tweeted @SalaudeenNana.

Blog by Mike Wendling
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-32991164

Nigerians r not upset... IGBOS R UPSET COS THEY COMPLAIN EVERYTHING. Igbos really want to make the country unsafe to create avenue for their yeye Biafra.

PEJ use more expensive watch. PEJ is more flamboyant with her ojuju Calabar masquerade attire.
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 04, 2015
All we know is the watch she wore looks like the allegedly expensive luxury watch. However, no one can tell if it's the real deal—there are so many luxury brands with look-alike replicas you might need the service of an experienced jeweler to spot the difference. These are just pictures, and the vituperations are utterly unnecessary IMO. Also the first lady's wealth is independent of the President's wealth. That the President purported he had just a million in his account before elections doesn't mean his wife was as broke. It could have been a gift even.

Rather than frustrate his administration with impertinent matters not worthy of discourse, I implore we all concentrate on more pressing matters of concern. We are still in debt & there are still bombings. The power sector is still suffering, and in the face of dwindling oil prices, the economic strain doesn't seem like it would vitiate any time soon.

Abeg make una leave matter for Mathias.

4 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by bofoy(m): 7:37am On Jun 04, 2015
BRAINLESS PRESIDENT FUCKEN gene - ral

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by bofoy(m): 7:37am On Jun 04, 2015
bofoy:
BRAINLESS PRESIDENT FUCKEN gene - ral
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by babeface3: 7:37am On Jun 04, 2015
That could pay my PhD tuition in the US instead of lying idle on that wrist. embarassed embarassed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 04, 2015
adamskutty:
G
G-Gangstar cool
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nicepoker(m): 7:39am On Jun 04, 2015
Dannyset:
Sense?
It could be a gift, afterall Julius Berger built Babangida a mansion as gift.
now tell us who gave her the watch.
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 04, 2015
nigerianvenom:

But why haven't we heard anything from saharareporters, punch and thenation?
Does it mean they are not aware of this news?
Which SR? Which TheNation? Those are APC propaganda wing...who cares when we have citizen journalists?

5 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by hansad: 7:41am On Jun 04, 2015
laffytaffy1:
where is wole soyinka ? you would think by now he would have said something. The hypocrisy with Yoruba people is just sad I swear.

To send Jonathan and his Igbo crew away from Aso Rock, SW Catholic Cardinal, Catholic Bishops, Nobel Laureate, Retired military generals, journalists, name them - they were all of the same opinion that Jonathan and his Igbo crew must not continue in Aso Rock.

All sorts of lies were manufactured in the SW to paint Jonathan govt dark colour.

Buhari rejected three times was suddenly painted a saint by SW controlled media all influenced by ethnic/religious bigotry to send away those regarded as unequal Nigerians away from Aso Rock.

Buhari said Abacha was not corrupt. Most Northern leaders do not regard stealing oil money from Niger delta as corruption.
People of SW ought to have known this.

9 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 04, 2015
talktimi:
Photos of Nigeria's first lady wearing an expensive watch led some Nigerians to ask whether they undermine President Buhari's "man of the people" image.

In March, Muhammadu Buhari was elected as Nigeria's new president after a campaign which took a strong anti-corruption stance. Buhari underlined his humble credentials by raising money from ordinary voters. He even had to stretch his finances to pay the fee to register as a candidate.

This image was diluted somewhat when his wife, Aisha Buhari, was pictured wearing an expensive-looking watch at her husband's inauguration last week and these images were shared on the Instagram account of the photographer George Okoro.

Nigerian press described it as a Cartier Baignoire Folle 18-carat white gold diamond timepiece that was estimated to cost around $50,000 - more than £30,000 or about 10m Nigerian naira. Others, however, pointed out that knockoff versions are available for as little as $100.

Around 3,000 tweets mentioning the first lady's name and the word "watch" have been posted. Many were critical and raised a sceptical eyebrow about where Mrs Buhari might have got the money to buy such an expensive piece of jewellery. "Aisha Buhari will be wearing a N10million watch and her husband told us he borrowed money to buy his presidential nomination form," said Twitter user Kate Vincent.

But others defended her: "Aisha Buhari didn't use Nigeria's money to buy her watch so what exactly is the problem? Am i missing something? Why is it a big deal?" tweeted @SalaudeenNana.

Blog by Mike Wendling
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-32991164

what if she is wearing the fake one of $100 or a gift from one northern billionaire.? GEJ distributed gold iphone to guest in his daughter's wedding yet nobody complain.

GOD PLS. GIVE THEM BIAFRA AND LET NIGERIA MOVE FORWARD. IGBOS R THE REAL ENEMIES WITHIN NIGERIA. I WANT BIAFRA TO SUCCEED SO THAT WE CAN HAVE PEACE.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by ralph28(m): 7:42am On Jun 04, 2015
It is necessary we check mate all these,just to preserve the future.
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by biggybanty7(m): 7:44am On Jun 04, 2015
All dis watch issue na lie but nairalanders na mumu most of una be sha das y I no fit blame una.and una go dey claim say una go sch take luk @ d watch and jst decide is 10million big lie my pple I sale expensive watch,dat watch no even tink of reachin million,but as na bad belle most of una b na una get una mouth
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by kingbasil: 7:44am On Jun 04, 2015
francizy:

Those ones fit be two million each. The bra go get diamond buckle while the g-string will be made of gold! cheesy

Totally wicked...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 04, 2015
i told you guys dis man and his wife are sham, but una no gree. #babaonechance.

5 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by amichaelz101(m): 7:46am On Jun 04, 2015
talktimi:
is it your money ?
thats not a wis qstn
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by dazzlinglyme: 7:47am On Jun 04, 2015
strongerthaneva:
#cluessless is now trending..
baseless point like yours is now trending undecided
strongerthaneva:
#cluessless is now trending..
baseless point like yours is now trending
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 04, 2015
The way Nigerians comment on issues is very funny. Its like a lot of us are anxiously waiting for the new government to fail so that we can laugh at its supporters and say all manner of things forgetting that whether PMB governs well or not his family won't be adversely affected, its the ordinary Nigerians that will suffer if this administration fails just like in some past administrations. The big question shouldn't be the price of the watch rather it should be whether it was her personal or government money that was used to purchase it, except we are saying that she doesn't have a right to spend her hard earned money. Let's not forget that the word 'expensive' is relative. I was a GEJ supporter but the progress of Nigeria is my only interest hence I have decided to give the new administration my support and pray that it lives up to expectation shouldn't that be our collective prayer ?

4 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 04, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
One chance
Nigerians ve bin fulled by "holy" Buhari
Still don't understand how one old man fulled us all

Am dedicating dis ftc, to all dana air crash victims, may d lady(mother Mary) of all airways, intercede on their behalf to his son lord Jesus Christ, to grant dem eternal rest, Amen

Not all Nigerians where fooled, I myself wasn't fooled.

2 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Kingsasian(m): 7:50am On Jun 04, 2015
adamskutty:
Abeg. U are beauty and not a beast, spend the money ooo, so much money oo. grin grin grin I am very upset that it cost just 10million naira, it is too small for her, walahi! grin grin grin . Atleast a watch of 100million naira would have been better. Oooh! My goodness, her skin glows like the flames from an acetylene torch unlike the other one with rough skin like aba dirty roads. grin grin grin grin grin

SPEND THE MONEEEY O. grin grin grin grin grin

Saaaai buhari till 2023! grin grin
hahahahahahaha, I love this love poem. As a matter of fact I so much love this woman. I am even surprise that she wore a wrist watch that cheap.

1 Like

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by bencobenz(m): 7:50am On Jun 04, 2015
hansad:

yet IBB government jailed Prof. Tam David West over a gift of wrist watch West received from abroad when he was Petroleum minister.

Nigeria is George Orwell's Animal Farm - some animals being more equal than others

David West was a government official when he received the gift and by the rule of engagement, he's not supposed to collect gift so that he won't be compromised. Companies do so too. Aisha Buhari is not holding any government position, so she's free to receive gift from whomever she likes.
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 04, 2015
PDPmamapiss:

what if she is wearing the fake one of $100 or a gift from one northern billionaire.? GEJ distributed gold iphone to guest in his daughter's wedding yet nobody complain.

GOD PLS. GIVE THEM BIAFRA AND LET NIGERIA MOVE FORWARD. IGBOS R THE REAL ENEMIES WITHIN NIGERIA. I WANT BIAFRA TO SUCCEED SO THAT WE CAN HAVE PEACE.

Yes, as said by HRH Sanusi, the man you worship and call a hero.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/yorubas-are-the-problem-with-nigeria-says-sanusi-lamido-sanusi/
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 04, 2015
Ikengawo:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2469227_kai_jpegb47bc645f534b220ef506e8c9d5d6b51
[size=20pt]ONE NIGERIA
ONE CHANCE
[/size]
why our mothers are in ijaw land suffering ........

God punish buharı

2 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Echo50(m): 7:55am On Jun 04, 2015
She is beautiful, puttg on a nice watch & if you dnt like that, 4go it "sai baba" What do u undstnd by change? hahahahahahahaha...
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Ifebazz(m): 7:56am On Jun 04, 2015
talktimi:
I got it on good authority that it was a replica gift from her rich uncle cool
Daddy you can lie eh....
Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:58am On Jun 04, 2015
PRESIDENT BUHARI SHOULD BE TRIED FOR O.B.T
If not for that provision in our Constitution which confers immunity on certain level of executive officers, then our President Muhammadu Buhari should be facing the jury at this very moment, telling them why they should not send him to prison for obtaining our votes with false pretense.
You will remember that our President promised us during the electioneering campaign that he was going to declare his assets publicly, and because of that promise, many millions of Nigerians gave him their votes. Today these votes have made him our President and he has failed to keep to his own term of the contract, and there is no better way to understand this than to say that he actually duped us of our votes.
Our President promised us during the campaigns that he was going to run a lean government, but the few appointments he has made so far shows that he is not ready or never really planned to keep such deal.
O.B.T or Obtaining By Tricks is a criminal offence and one is guilty of that if he makes you part with something valuable on the pretence of rendering one service or giving you some material things in return, but fails to do so after having misled you into parting with your valuable. In a a democracy, votes are great valuables, and before any politician gets your vote, he or she is supposed to make tangible offers, which he or she must keep. President Buhari has defrauded us of our votes, and he must pay.

2 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 04, 2015
Ikengawo:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2469227_kai_jpegb47bc645f534b220ef506e8c9d5d6b51
[size=20pt]ONE NIGERIA
ONE CHANCE
[/size]
why our mothers are in ijaw land suffering ........

God punish buharı

see buharı who said that he borrowd money while his wife woe a wrest watch that wort of #10,453,000 of the half of money his husband borrow from the bank. ...

buharı is a scam

5 Likes

Re: BBC: Nigerians Upset Over First Lady's Flashy Watch by victors123: 8:00am On Jun 04, 2015
Hmmm o. Oga ooo this tins we are borrowing she borrow it!!! We done enter one chance!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

COVID-19: Governors Fume As Interstate Travel Ban Collapses / Izombe, Oguta In Imo Deserted As Soldiers Order Shoot At Sight, 3 Dead (Video) / Nigerien Arm Supplier To Bandits Beaten To Death And Dumped In A Sokoto River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.