Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria (16292 Views)

Complete POS Software For Boutiques, Eateries, Pharmacies And Supermarkets / Complete POS Software For Boutiques, Eateries, Pharmacies And Supermarkets / Licensed Pos Software For Pharmacies, Supermarkets, Bookstores, Hotels & Eatries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 12:05pm On Jun 04, 2015
I wrote a previous post on steps to own a Pharmacy in Nigeria here: https://www.nairaland.com/2352771/steps-owning-pharmacy-nigeria

If you ever wondered why, as lucrative a business as running a Pharmacy is, many still run down, I'm about to let you know some reasons. Can you think of some big names that are no more?
Let me give you some insider's clue and, don't mind me, I write with Pharmacists in mind

Why Your Predecessors Close Shop

You can sum the major reasons up under these categories

1. They thought being a good Pharmacist is enough to be a good business owner.

Entrepreneurs have different mindsets than professionals o. If you don't groom yourself and even be willing to pay neutral consultants to learn from (because your should-be mentor is also your competitor) you may learn the hard way

2. Bad location

Location is (almost) everything in any business but you will be amazed how many get this wrong-- may be because it wasn't thought in school? I don't know. What I know is that good location is not just about where you can get many customers. It's about where you can get and retain customers with purchasing power that suit your strategy, get and retain correct staff, spend less on operations etc

3. No or poor business plan

Success comes with its own challenges. A Pharmacy that is making a lot of money can close down because of that- it breeds competition, more tendencies for dissatisfying customers, expansion crisis. You must have a plan to scale through the challenges of the business at every stage

4. Poor staff motivation

This is key and I can tell you this is one major Pharmacy killer. Your staff members are not your resources ! I object to that capitalist language- calling humans resources, and of course, using them as such. If you don't know how to treat your staff like partners and first customers you will soon join those ones big Pharmacies that are now dead or a shadow of their past.

Practically speaking, this entails a lot of discipline and commitment, becoming groomed for effective leadership (for example, understanding what and how to delegate is key), planning for long-term employment and many other stuffs.

5. Bad financial practice

The money you can make in retail pharmacy multiplies with the number of branches you have. If you don't plan long term, you put a cap on how far you can go because your decisions will be poor.

Practical example: Some Pharmacies are very good in owing suppliers and then suppliers avoid them or refuse to sell to them and they can't meet up with demands. Of course, if I come today and you don't have what I want to buy, same tomorrow, same next week, I may not bother again.

One financial error some Pharmacy owners make is treating the company as their ATM machine. You better know where your income to run personal affairs will come from before opening your Pharmacy. Otherwise, you will kill the business before it gets the chance to flourish.
Having a solid financial plan- such that takes as many things as necessary into consideration AND following it is key to keeping your Pharmacy alive and well

6. Ahh! I haven't mentioned poor customer service!

Customer is king is not an entertaining slogan o. And the fact that they are coming doesn't mean they are satisfied sir! One of them may be planning to become a competitor and capitalize on how insensitive you and/or your staff members are. Otherwise, they may be waiting and even praying for that competitor to come and the good God WILL answer their prayers because He wants the best for people while you give them trash services.

You must be deliberate about customer satisfaction. All this promos some Pharmacies so don't keep customers o. If customers don't FEEL like you care about them and not just the money you want to make, sorry they will enjoy your promo and still not be loyal to you.

I hope you'll put these things to heart and use them in business.

If you have something serious to discuss with me please go ahead or send a mail to mailboominn@gmail.com and make the subject obvious so that I can know its not one of those mails.

Thanks.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by afanide: 3:16pm On Jun 04, 2015
very correct.

Business owners should give priority to no.6

In one customer lies Millions of customers. When you treat them right, them will bring more customers to you.

8 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Ayjos10(m): 4:31pm On Jun 04, 2015
y do i av the feeling to use dis guy as my E-mentor? Mayb followin u will benefit me on d lng run

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 4:53pm On Jun 04, 2015
Ayjos10:
y do i av the feeling to use dis guy as my E-mentor? Mayb followin u will benefit me on d lng run

Hopefully. We are all learning anyway.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by DjHypno(m): 5:54pm On Jun 04, 2015
Hopefully things will get better.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by asumo12: 5:55pm On Jun 04, 2015
WHY
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Emade(m): 5:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
Learning sumtin thanks op

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 04, 2015
Your points are valid for all businesses and not just for pharmaceutical

3 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by rawtouch: 6:00pm On Jun 04, 2015
Applies to all businesses

3 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by 3direct: 6:01pm On Jun 04, 2015
all bussiness applied

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by mactoni91(m): 6:02pm On Jun 04, 2015
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by elohorayodele: 6:10pm On Jun 04, 2015
almost bought one a while back but backed out
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 04, 2015
Wish for the best expect the worst. We can only hope it gets better... Proper Preparation precedes progressive prosperity.
The P's of entreneurship

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by ibkgab001: 6:13pm On Jun 04, 2015
Fake Drugs
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by ihesiuloa(m): 6:16pm On Jun 04, 2015
I guess you should add " going for entrepreneur training and learning skills in leadership" this would enhance pharmacy owners and business owners in general cool

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 04, 2015
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by AreaFada2: 6:26pm On Jun 04, 2015
Even recharge card sellers can benefit from this. Customer service is VERY important, but in 9ja, most businesses treat customers like they are just a bunch of troublesome pests. Even big banks. Just forget civil servants. Pathetic.

3 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
NEPA wahala nko?

You buy a drug which needs steady refrigeration for it to be preserved, NEPA shows working, fuel scarcity strikes, everything gets ruined, you dispose, capital is affected.

3 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by meshacha1: 6:32pm On Jun 04, 2015
Why are ppl not commenting on this thread?
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by laurel03(m): 6:38pm On Jun 04, 2015
because dr shop is in Nigeria...... Business no easy to survive in Nigeria...
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by IamChiboi(m): 6:49pm On Jun 04, 2015
Nice write up, I can totally relate to this, by the way, am a pharmacist

4 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by stlarry001(m): 6:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
naija mentality
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Youngmaster0(m): 7:05pm On Jun 04, 2015
i don't know how to begin by telling you how good ur write up is to me, poor staff motivation using them as if they are your properties is killing me in my boss pharmacy, as why sometimes too i no longer care about taking good care of his pharmacy for so f**k him

Second is the poor customers services , anyway that's his business him should do with it whatever he pleases
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by dave2meek(m): 7:11pm On Jun 04, 2015
Thanks op

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by pharmagba: 7:15pm On Jun 04, 2015
PMIcon:
I wrote a previous post on steps to own a Pharmacy in Nigeria here: https://www.nairaland.com/2352771/steps-owning-pharmacy-nigeria

If you ever wondered why, as lucrative a business as running a Pharmacy is, many still run down, I'm about to let you know some reasons. Can you think of some big names that are no more?
Let me give you some insider's clue and, don't mind me, I write with Pharmacists in mind

Why Your Predecessors Close Shop

You can sum the major reasons up under these categories

1. They thought being a good Pharmacist is enough to be a good business owner.

Entrepreneurs have different mindsets than professionals o. If you don't groom yourself and even be willing to pay neutral consultants to learn from (because your should-be mentor is also your competitor) you may learn the hard way

2. Bad location

Location is (almost) everything in any business but you will be amazed how many get this wrong-- may be because it wasn't thought in school? I don't know. What I know is that good location is not just about where you can get many customers. It's about where you can get and retain customers with purchasing power that suit your strategy, get and retain correct staff, spend less on operations etc

3. No or poor business plan

Success comes with its own challenges. A Pharmacy that is making a lot of money can close down because of that- it breeds competition, more tendencies for dissatisfying customers, expansion crisis. You must have a plan to scale through the challenges of the business at every stage

4. Poor staff motivation

This is key and I can tell you this is one major Pharmacy killer. Your staff members are not your resources ! I object to that capitalist language- calling humans resources, and of course, using them as such. If you don't know how to treat your staff like partners and first customers you will soon join those ones big Pharmacies that are now dead or a shadow of their past.

Practically speaking, this entails a lot of discipline and commitment, becoming groomed for effective leadership (for example, understanding what and how to delegate is key), planning for long-term employment and many other stuffs.

5. Bad financial practice

The money you can make in retail pharmacy multiplies with the number of branches you have. If you don't plan long term, you put a cap on how far you can go because your decisions will be poor.

Practical example: Some Pharmacies are very good in owing suppliers and then suppliers avoid them or refuse to sell to them and they can't meet up with demands. Of course, if I come today and you don't have what I want to buy, same tomorrow, same next week, I may not bother again.

One financial error some Pharmacy owners make is treating the company as their ATM machine. You better know where your income to run personal affairs will come from before opening your Pharmacy. Otherwise, you will kill the business before it gets the chance to flourish.
Having a solid financial plan- such that takes as many things as necessary into consideration AND following it is key to keeping your Pharmacy alive and well

6. Ahh! I haven't mentioned poor customer service!

Customer is king is not an entertaining slogan o. And the fact that they are coming doesn't mean they are satisfied sir! One of them may be planning to become a competitor and capitalize on how insensitive you and/or your staff members are. Otherwise, they may be waiting and even praying for that competitor to come and the good God WILL answer their prayers because He wants the best for people while you give them trash services.

You must be deliberate about customer satisfaction. All this promos some Pharmacies so don't keep customers o. If customers don't FEEL like you care about them and not just the money you want to make, sorry they will enjoy your promo and still not be loyal to you.

I hope you'll put these things to heart and use them in business.

If you have something serious to discuss with me please go ahead or send a mail to mailboominn@gmail.com and make the subject obvious so that I can know its not one of those mails.

Thanks.

Let me add more
7- Poor inventory control
8- Absence of a good pharmacist / professional on duty ( for retail pharmacy)
9- poor stocking and improper management of stock leading to much expiry

3 Likes

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:22pm On Jun 04, 2015
toyetade:
Your points are valid for all businesses and not just for pharmaceutical

100% right, just that that's my field and it pains me to see Pharmacies put on sale or just run down by "experienced pharmacists".

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:23pm On Jun 04, 2015
DjHypno:
Hopefully things will get better.

Amen.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:25pm On Jun 04, 2015
rawtouch:
Applies to all businesses

You'r right
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:26pm On Jun 04, 2015
elohorayodele:
almost bought one a while back but backed out

I'm interested in your reason for backing out pls.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
grin
ibkgab001:
Fake Drugs
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:29pm On Jun 04, 2015
ihesiuloa:
I guess you should add " going for entrepreneur training and learning skills in leadership" this would enhance pharmacy owners and business owners in general cool

yea, what I meant by grooming oneself

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Legit Platform Has Been Paying Me / Why You Should Stop Playing With Your Most Valuable Asset. / Is Branch Money Lending App. Scam Or Legit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.