Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,760 members, 7,827,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria (16308 Views)

Complete POS Software For Boutiques, Eateries, Pharmacies And Supermarkets / Complete POS Software For Boutiques, Eateries, Pharmacies And Supermarkets / Licensed Pos Software For Pharmacies, Supermarkets, Bookstores, Hotels & Eatries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:32pm On Jun 04, 2015
Imanuelle:
NEPA wahala nko?

You buy a drug which needs steady refrigeration for it to be preserved, NEPA shows working, fuel scarcity strikes, everything gets ruined, you dispose, capital is affected.

many things I didn't mention but from my observation, I gave the most virulent killers
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 7:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
Youngmaster0:
i don't know how to begin by telling you how good ur write up is to me, poor staff motivation using them as if they are your properties is killing me in my boss pharmacy, as why sometimes too i no longer care about taking good care of his pharmacy for so f**k him

Second is the poor customers services , anyway that's his business him should do with it whatever he pleases

He go beta
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by gatiano(m): 7:43pm On Jun 04, 2015
Very simple answer! It is because they are not devils, because they are not evil enough. I mean literally but I object to it. When the evil concept of a successful pharmacy is known, maybe we can reverse the case back to righteousness.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by mmsen: 8:45pm On Jun 04, 2015
Staff are resources - the problem with many proprietors is that they treat resources like 'juniors' instead of respecting them as stakeholders.

Of course some go too far the other way and tolerate too much but there must be a balance.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by akigbemaru: 9:02pm On Jun 04, 2015
why pharmacies fold up.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by elohorayodele: 9:30am On Jun 05, 2015
PMIcon:

I'm interested in your reason for backing out pls.

Goodwill on it was virtually negative as patronage was low, a lil bit inaccessible due to bad roads too
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Dollarboom: 10:11am On Jun 05, 2015
All businesses have the same challenges. Constantly innovating is the key to success in business.

Meanwhile, let your money work for you.

If you have investable #1M and above, and you're OK with 10% monthly returns and you don't have unnecessary phobia for forex biz. You can talk to me right away on: 08162868544.
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 05, 2015
We were one of the big player in this biz,I spent all my childhood in it,I can tell u that staff is biggest cause of failure
1, staff stealing yr money and goods.
2,Competitions,when people see you re doing well they'll come looking for shop near you.
3,location
4,death,the death of owner spelt closing down
5,pricing,if yr prices are too much more than yr neighbours,then forget it because customers actually talk to each other's more than u think.
6,fake drugs,if u sell fake and you re found out punters will stop coming .
I can go on and on,this business to do well on it,you must spend years to learn it being a pharmacist is not a guarantee to succeed.

1 Like

Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 5:31pm On Jun 05, 2015
euromilion:
We were one of the big player in this biz,I spent all my childhood in it,I can tell u that staff is biggest cause of failure
1, staff stealing yr money and goods.
2,Competitions,when people see you re doing well they'll come looking for shop near you.
3,location
4,death,the death of owner spelt closing down
5,pricing,if yr prices are too much more than yr neighbours,then forget it because customers actually talk to each other's more than u think.
6,fake drugs,if u sell fake and you re found out punters will stop coming .
I can go on and on,this business to do well on it,you must spend years to learn it being a pharmacist is not a guarantee to succeed.

1. I'm aware that pilfering is a major issue. We have cctv, security personnel and devices, workplace policies, regular stock-taking and use of appropriate software to put a check on that. These are important investments that must be considered when going into the business.

2,3&5 Competition, Location& Pricing are very important but inseparable issues and should be considered in business plan.

4. Death of owner: that's what happens when one runs a pharmacy without a system. But it is very real challenge especially with PCN regulation of a Pharmacist-only ownership

6. Why person go open pharmacy come dey sell fake drugs (why would one open a pharmacy to sell fake drugs)?
I give you 159% grin
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 9:04pm On Jun 06, 2015
elohorayodele:

Goodwill on it was virtually negative as patronage was low, a lil bit inaccessible due to bad roads too

hmmm
Re: Why Big Pharmacies 'close Shop' In Nigeria by PMIcon(m): 12:40pm On Mar 17, 2016
More on Staff: How Exactly Does It Affect A Pharmacy?

1.Exodus.

When your pharmacists/staff leave, few things may happen:
a. the experience they gathered in your pharmacy will be used to better the lot of your competitor

b. you start losing money to get and train another person which may take time.

c. It slows down growth beyond calculations

d. Planning becomes a challenge. They may leave when you need them most to execute your own plans.

e. Your weaknesses are exposed to more and more people with each person who decides to leave. (Family members to start with wants to know why and they have the right to.Friends planning to join your company will consult with them first.) Soon, getting good hands becomes a challenge and you would wonder why. It's because your brand is depreciating in the industry for employment.

By the way, staff turn over rate can be a pointer to how good your structure and practice has been. It is a score for your performance as a business owner.

Well, people complain about pharmacists always moving from one pharmacy to the other. They are always looking for greener pastures. But there are reasons.

# Many pharmacy owners don't have plans for the future of their pharmacists and staff. It becomes a challenge to introduce later when it wasn't in the plan from onset.

Creating a career progression plan is important. What SHOULD happen to a pharmacist that stays up to 3years, 5 years, 10 years(you've not thought of that?!) and what's your plan to make it happen? Why do you think people leave community pharmacy to become medical reps? You think about your future, they think about theirs too.

# Motivation and incentives You can't be comparing your staff with the worst in town when it comes to remuneration and incentive package and then start comparing them with the best pharmacies when it comes to service delivery and sacrifice.

What's your plan for better remuneration as the pharmacy grows? Do your staff know your plans?

#How challenging are you? Too little and too much kills motivation Do you set goals for your staff? Are you flexible when goals are consistently not attained by any unit? Any reward for meeting new targets? Are you faithful with the rewards?

# Structure and policies When you can't be predicted or when your staff don't what to do in peculiar/uncommon situations other than to call you, it can be very stressful for everyone(not only you), staff and customers alike. Everything can't depend on you. And everyone can't do everything.

Do you have a training system? A return policy? A customer reward program? Inventory management policy? etc

EVERYTHING IS BRANDING AND YOUR BRAND AFFECTS INSIDERS AS MUCH AS OUTSIDERS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Legit Platform Has Been Paying Me / Guinness Nigeria Suffers 76% Profit Decline / Is Branch Money Lending App. Scam Or Legit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.