Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English (672 Views)

Buhari Is Not The Right President For Nigeria- Wole Soyinka / The Right Way To Make A Lady Fall In Love With You Madly / Help! I am addicted to doing it everyday single day. Please advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by Codyt(m): 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2015
Good day all,
I need your advice on the most suitable or formal use of "YES" or "YES PLEASE" when asked a positive question.

There's this sister of mine always inconveniencing and indirectly embarrassing me whenever I use "YES". She immediately reiterates say "YES PLEASE" which I find somewhat annoying when discussing general things. She does the same with "NO" by saying I should instead say "NO THANK YOU".
I feel it's a one-on-one conversation and which our English should be informal no matter how random the conversation gets.

I need your candid opinion on this issue.
Re: Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by jaybee3(m): 1:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
Codyt:
Good day all,
I need your advice on the most suitable or formal use of "YES" or "YES PLEASE" when asked a positive question.

I have this elder cousin of mine always inconveniencing and indirectly embarrassing me whenever I use "YES". She immediately reiterates say "YES PLEASE" which I find somewhat annoying when discussing general things. She does the same with "NO" by saying I should instead say "NO THANK YOU".
I feel it's a one-on-one conversation and which our English should be informal no matter how random the conversation gets.

I need your candid opinion on this issue.
It's appropriate and courteous to use "Yes please" or "No thank you" if you are being offered something.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by Codyt(m): 1:11pm On Jun 05, 2015
jaybee3:

It's appropriate and courteous to use "Yes please" or "No thank you" if you are being offered something.
Noted thanks. But in a general convo is it all the way needed?
Re: Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by jaybee3(m): 1:14pm On Jun 05, 2015
Codyt:

Noted thanks. But in a general convo is it all the way needed?

It's not a necessity but rather polite way of answering questions
Re: Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by GeneralQuamdeen: 1:53pm On Jun 05, 2015
Will you like to have some tea? A- Yes. B. Yes, please. The different between A and B respond is courtesy.. which is not really necessary in all kind of convo, be it formal, informal, written and spoken. Unless your cousin is forcibly demandinq you qive him respect.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by Codyt(m): 2:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
GeneralQuamdeen:
Will you like to have some tea? A- Yes. B. Yes, please. The different between A and B respond is courtesy.. which is not really necessary in all kind of convo, be it formal, informal, written and spoken. Unless your cousin is forcibly demandinq you qive him respect.
Nice reply. Why do people quest for respect so much? It was just an informal convo.
Re: Nairalanders Please Advice On The Right English by GeneralQuamdeen: 3:31pm On Jun 05, 2015
Codyt:

Nice reply. Why do people quest for respect so much? It was just an informal convo.
I wonder, if i think i deserved to be respected, i'd rather let him realize it himself than to demand it myself. I rank people in my life base on how they respect me, so why force respect in them?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Walking Down The Aisle / I Will Love To Visit Western Africa - Katarina West / The Necklace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.