Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,401 members, 7,954,582 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:41 PM

Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death (1032 Views)

Church Building Mishap: Akwa Ibom Governor Orders Arrest Of Contractor / Four Soldiers Drown In In Bayelsa In Boat Mishap / Baraka Sani, Senator Basheer Lado Escape Death In Kano As Mob Attacks Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by igbokwesampson(m): 6:47am On Jun 06, 2015
Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/over-120-escape-death-as-aero-aircraft-develops-fault-mid-air/

Over 120 passengers, including the Director, Muslim Rights Concern, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, on Friday evening escaped death as an Aero Contractors Airline Flight 180 from Lagos to Kaduna developed technical fault mid-air.
The aircraft was said to have suddenly lost altitude, 20 minutes after it departed the domestic wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, forcing the aircraft to wobble in the air for over one hour before it was eventually diverted to Abuja.
Akintola, who broke the news toNew Mail,said the flight took off from Lagos at exactly 6.30pm.
He said 20 minutes into the flight, the aircraft lost altitude and the passengers had to make use of the oxygen masks as the plane continued to wobble, while dropping steadily.
Akintola said, “The plane lost altitude 20 minutes after takeoff. We had to make use of the oxygen masks. We saw smoke outside the plane, probably coming from the engine compartment.
“At this time, the whole plane was thrown into commotion. Many passengers screamed and some fainted. Prayers upon prayers were offered. Some shoutedAllah, others Jesus.”
Akintola said it was in the midst of the commotion that the crew, whom he commended for their professionalism and unusual calmness, announced that the plane would be diverted to Abuja.
He said, “While the pilot was making the announcement of the flight diversion, I noticed that his voice was trembling. He told us that Abuja was 120 miles away and that we would land in 25 minutes. But we were not sure we would make it.
“In fact, I quickly recited theKalimah(the Quranic invocation of the oneness of Allah), believing that the end had come,” Akintola added in messages toNew Mail.
He said that the plane finally touched down in Abuja at about 9.00pm and upon landing in Abuja, the officials of the airline told the devastated passengers that the fault would be hurriedly repaired and that the plane would proceed to take them to Kaduna, their original destination.
As of the time he spoke withNew Mailat about 9.30pm, he said he was already in a taxi taking him from Abuja to Kaduna as he could not risk being “flown in the same aircraft that was divinely saved from crashing.”
Akintola said, “As I am talking to you, I am now in a taxi taking me to Kaduna. They said they wanted to repair the plane and that we should wait so it takes us to Kaduna. Allah forbids. They asked how many of us wanted to disembark and almost everybody came out.”
WhenSaturday PUNCHcalled Akintola at about 11pm, he confirmed the incident and said he was about entering Kaduna.
He said, “When the aircraft wanted to land in Abuja, the tyres failed to come out on time and that again caused more commotion among passengers. At last, we landed at about 7.35, about 50 minute of trauma mid-air.”
A statement by the airline read, “Aero confirms that there was depressurisation in the aircraft cabin leading to the dropping of oxygen mask. And since Aero has a maintenance facility in Abuja, the flight to Kaduna was diverted to Abuja this evening to fix the problem.”
The General Manager, Public Affairs, Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, Mr. Fan Ndubuoke, said he had yet to be briefed on the matter.
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Escalze(m): 6:48am On Jun 06, 2015
Thank God ooo

Since this administration took over, its been one disaster or the other

Hmmm......yeye dey smell

5 Likes

Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by INTROVERT(f): 6:51am On Jun 06, 2015
the officials of the airline told the devastated passengers that the fault would be hurriedly repaired and that the plane would proceed to take them to Kaduna, their original destination.

I would not enter that plane again for all the tea in China. angry

4 Likes

Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 06, 2015
shocked thank God!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by kay1one2(m): 6:55am On Jun 06, 2015
Thank God for safety.
Next time just throw the muslim overboard!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by stinggy(m): 7:03am On Jun 06, 2015
He said, “While the pilot was making the announcement of the flight diversion, I noticed that his voice was trembling. He told us that Abuja was 120 miles away and that we would land in 25 minutes. But we were not sure we would make it.

Nothing more scary.

Happy you guys made it alive. That could have added to the RIPs we type almost every hour in this nation lately.
Thank Gods!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by GogetterMD(m): 7:06am On Jun 06, 2015
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Tolexander: 7:07am On Jun 06, 2015
kay1one2:
Thank God for safety.
is that what your god taught you?
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by kay1one2(m): 7:19am On Jun 06, 2015
Tolexander:
is that what your god taught you?

E pain you?!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Pavore9: 7:21am On Jun 06, 2015
Thank God!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Tolexander: 7:22am On Jun 06, 2015
kay1one2:

E pain you?!
ya, so painful seeing silly post!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 06, 2015
kay1one2:
Thank God for safety.
I am a Christian but I take serious exception to your statement.
Anyway, thank God for their lives. Imagine being on air for 2 and a half hours for a trip that was meant to last for like an hour.
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by redsconsult(m): 7:24am On Jun 06, 2015
praise the lord
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Youngsage: 7:24am On Jun 06, 2015
igbokwesampson:

He said that the plane finally touched down in Abuja at about 9.00pm and upon landing in Abuja, the officials of the airline told the devastated passengers that the fault would be hurriedly repaired and that the plane would proceed to take them to Kaduna, their original destination.
As of the time he spoke withNew Mailat about 9.30pm, he said he was already in a taxi taking him from Abuja to Kaduna as he could not risk being “flown in the same aircraft that was divinely saved from crashing.”

Akintola said, “As I am talking to you, I am now in a taxi taking me to Kaduna. They said they wanted to repair the plane and that we should wait so it takes us to Kaduna. Allah forbids. They asked how many of us wanted to disembark and almost everybody came out.”
WhenSaturday PUNCHcalled Akintola at about 11pm, he confirmed the incident and said he was about entering Kaduna.

Well... So what if the taxi had an accident on the way to Kaduna?? He was also lucky he arrived safely in that taxi IMO... It is GOD who saves and protects. No means of transport is safest, If GOD said he will make it in THAT airplane, nothing would have stopped it. whatever is destined to happen will happen.
I've seen and heard of quite similar instances where one in trying to avoid a seemingly fatal disaster perharps , runs into a FATAL disaster.

The DANGER of FEAR!!!!

Well, happy for the survivors though...
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 06, 2015
This is why I dread travellin by air. It's so fcckin scary!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by seunlayi(m): 7:29am On Jun 06, 2015
I tell you had it been that this happened, pmb name go suffer

1 Like

Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by EmmyBoy2(m): 7:30am On Jun 06, 2015
INTROVERT:
the officials of the airline told the devastated passengers that the fault would be hurriedly repaired and that the plane would proceed to take them to Kaduna, their original destination.

I would not enter that plane again for all the tea in China. grin cheesy

Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by dridowu: 7:31am On Jun 06, 2015
igbokwesampson:
Hahahahahaah , ds part got me laughing but seriously, who will enta such plane again when u know what u encounter in mid air but thank God the situation was under control

1 Like

Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by EmmyBoy2(m): 7:33am On Jun 06, 2015
kay1one2:
Thank God for safety.
its unfortunate the kind of contributions one sees on nairaland these days......
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by otokx(m): 7:35am On Jun 06, 2015
So the mgt of aero expected those traumatized passengers to board the same aircraft even though fixed to Kaduna?

That is the definition of lawlessness, the regulatory body should do the needful.
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by kay1one2(m): 7:39am On Jun 06, 2015
Tolexander:
ya, so painful seeing silly post!

Take some analgesics!
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 06, 2015
Na wa oooooo
Re: Air Mishap: Over 120 Passengers On Board Escape Death by blank(f): 8:00am On Jun 06, 2015
Won't even dare enter that plane again. Would take a long while before i enter Aero after that sef.

(1) (Reply)

SAN Rank: Committee Shortlists Keyamo, Muiz Banire, Bert Igwilo, 47 Others / VP Osibanjo Tweets About Him Resuming In Villa (picture) / Warning Graphic: The Marikana Killings, History Repeating Itself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.