Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

The Burial Positions In Some Parts Of Igbo Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Burial Positions In Some Parts Of Igbo Land (1117 Views)

Photos From The Burial Of The Olubadan, Samuel Odulana, In Oyo State / Dignitaries At The Burial Of Ooni Of Ife (photos) / Not Too Long Ago, Pupils Went To School Unclad In Some Parts Of Nigeria (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Burial Positions In Some Parts Of Igbo Land by belente(m): 4:18pm On Jun 06, 2015
I had been opportune to attend burials especially in nkanu areas of Enugu state. when putting the corpse in the grave, they always position the casket in one direction or the other depending if the dead is a male or female. please Nairlanders, what is take on that
Re: The Burial Positions In Some Parts Of Igbo Land by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:59pm On Jun 06, 2015
What do u mean by position?
Re: The Burial Positions In Some Parts Of Igbo Land by belente(m): 5:15pm On Jun 06, 2015
mkpakanaodogwu:
What do u mean by position?
I mean during burial when people argue or say the head/ legs should face this way or that way
Re: The Burial Positions In Some Parts Of Igbo Land by Superrich(m): 3:46am On Jul 01, 2015
In the Aniocha/Oshimili areas of Delta state, Nigeria particularly and probably other areas of the state and other igbo cultures, it is a common practice to find their dead buried with their heads inwards and their legs to the door or outwards.

It is generally believed that that burial pattern ensures the spirit of the dead stays out and not roam about in the house or within the household.

I cannot support this line of belief with any emperical proof but this has been the practice in these areas for as long as I know.

I have particularly noticed this pattern in all the burials I have withnessed in these areas and have cause to believe there must be good reasons for that.

(1) (Reply)

17 Year Old Feud Between Olubadan Of Ibadanland And Alaafin Of Oyo Finally Ends / IF NO CIA, ADEBOYE WOULD STILL HAVE FAILED TO FINISH ME OFF. / Khran Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.