Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,941 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) (21503 Views)

Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / I Was Sidelined In Disbursement Of Campaign Funds- Chris Anyanwu. / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by koboko69: 4:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
Naptu...just like u, I saw the blunder. I was shocked even dolts like FFK didnt understand the bill. Nairaland's politics section is a joke now

4 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by honeric01(m): 4:14pm On Jun 07, 2015
One of the reasons alot of them are unemployable. they hardly read and when they do, no comprehension.

2 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by superstar1(m): 4:16pm On Jun 07, 2015
The words ''defilement'' and ''unlawful carnal knowledge'' are talking about ra.pe.

If someone marries an 11year old kid, and consumate the relationship in bed, will that be seen as defilement? Will that not be seen as conjugal bliss between husband and wife? There is no way marriage will be seen as unlawful carnal knowledge.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TheOtherview: 4:18pm On Jun 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Have you ACTUALLY read the bill?

Isn't it clear enough that anyone molesting a minor is subject to life imprisonment?

Liable means that the person WILL be sentenced if proven guilty!

If you want to talk about enforcement...that is another thing!

Why not just respond to the point I highlighted - if you have anything meaningful to say - instead of asking me a silly question?

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by gbrown(m): 4:18pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2487485_img20150606122115_jpegb2027ffe21fc722db8797b4a5e4c6cbd
pls forget this tale by moonlight, all i can see are two sets of law, one is applicable to the poor man, while the super rich is above this law, now Mr poster, answer this simple question, is senator yerima the senator who married a 10yr old Egyptian not in the same senate with Chris anyanwu? So why has he not been prosecuted?Chris anyanwu is a disgrace to womanhood.

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by boma95(f): 4:21pm On Jun 07, 2015
And I was beginning to think I'm the only sane person here.... all these half baked bloggers be misleading the public undecided

3 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by babyfaceafrica: 4:22pm On Jun 07, 2015
Well, you mean you need for than one witness to corrobate rape...u aint gonna catch anybody!!!.....she may have good intentions this bill is flawed.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 07, 2015
TheOtherview:

Why not just respond to the point I highlighted - if you have anything meaningful to say - instead of asking me a silly question?

I have read what you said....and I am still convinced that people who molest a child would get life imprisonment.

Or are you saying that the law says that those who molest under 18 get off scott free?

Anyway....I might be wrong...and a legally trained person can set me right....but as far as I am concerned....Nigeria's laws have no hiding place for those who molest kids. Enforcing the law is another story....but this law is a step in the right direction.

3 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by idu1(m): 4:23pm On Jun 07, 2015
Gullible youths....

Olodo they don't know anything....

This case is similar to yerima own...
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Bigdreams(m): 4:24pm On Jun 07, 2015
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 07, 2015
superstar1:
The words ''defilement'' and ''unlawful carnal knowledge'' are talking about ra.pe.

If someone marries an 11year old kid, and consummate the relationship in bed, will that be seen as defilement? Will that not be seen as conjugal bliss between husband and wife? There is no way marriage will be seen as unlawful carnal knowledge.

Well, under such a law(Indeed under British common law...under which most Nigerian law is based)...a child cannot validly consent to a marriage,or indeed to s..ual relations.......so such a relationship is illegal...and the ''husband'' is liable to be jailed.

6 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by dapyd1(m): 4:24pm On Jun 07, 2015
Thought as much...
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by idu1(m): 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
Gullible youths....

Olodo they don't know anything....

This case is similar to yerima's own...
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by solaugo1: 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
Recruitment Aptitude Tests Made Easy @ www.recruitment.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TheOtherview: 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I have read what you said....and I am still convinced that people who molest a child would get life imprisonment.

Or are you saying that the law says that those who molest under 18 get off scott free?

Anyway....I might be wrong...and a legally trained person can set me right....but as far as I am concerned....Nigeria's laws have no hiding place for those who molest kids. Enforcing the law is another story....but this law is a step in the right direction.

"Liable to" is less definitive than "Shall" - that's my point.
Go back and check my previous post again.

What stopped the Senate from putting a clear and unambiguous stake in the ground eh?
You and I both know what militated against...

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
All I keep seeing is girl, girl and girl

So it only girls that get defiled or rape @ their young age....

And the so called nairaland feminist is not saying anything about this

Ooo..I forgot,feminist has and will always be about the female selfish desire

Bunch of hypocrites

5 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2015
TheOtherview:

"Liable to" is less definitive than "Shall" - that's my point.
Go back and check my previous post again.

Sigh....all your definition tells me is that it means...they would 'Most likely be jailed''.

So, they will still end up getting jail...any violator. (Assuming the law is enforced).

Semantics too much.

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by superstar1(m): 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Well, under such a law(Indeed under British common law...under which most Nigerian law is based)...a child cannot validly consent to a marriage,or indeed to s..ual relations.......so such a relationship is illegal...and the ''husband'' is liable to be jailed.

Under the customary law of Nigeria which our marriage law derives its root from, the parental consent is the most important thing. Once there is parental consent to the mariage, no matter the age of the child, the husband can consumate the marrriage, except there is angreement between the families ab initio.

Though I am not a lawyer.

That is why you will still have to do traditional wedding whether you are having court or church or mosque marriage. The husband cannot be jailed.

Like someone said, a part of the law is for the rich and a part is for the poor.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by ajos145(m): 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2015
If having sex unlawfully wit a girl below 13yrs is an offence; what then makes it lawful to have sex wit a girl of such age?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2015
superstar1:

Under the customary law of Nigeria which our marriage law derives its root from, the parental consent is the most important thing.

Though I am not a lawyer. That is why you will still have to do traditional wedding whether you are having court or church or mosque marriage

Traditional wedding is not necessarily compulsory.(My parents never had one...church only+ registration at church by the Law.).

But a child is not legally recognized as being able to give valid consent to se...x.....even if the parents say yes.(and the parents could be prosecuted under the law if they facilitated such a union).

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
ajos145:
If having sex unlawfully wit a girl below 13yrs is an offence; what then makes it lawful to have sex wit a girl of such age?

In law...a child (under 18) CANNOT validly give consent to sex.

Simples.

6 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by ajos145(m): 4:32pm On Jun 07, 2015
superstar1:
The words ''defilement'' and ''unlawful carnal knowledge'' are talking about ra.pe. U are right jare.

If someone marries an 11year old kid, and consumate the relationship in bed, will that be seen as defilement? Will that not be seen as conjugal bliss between husband and wife? There is no way marriage will be seen as unlawful carnal knowledge.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by obstead200(m): 4:33pm On Jun 07, 2015
I've always known that as long as ahmed Sani is not the president of the senate,our senators can never pass such stupid bills na.

the guys in the Red chamber always prefer hot girls with correct frontal and backtal assets (e.g campus babes and co) not primary 3 children.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
Based on this bill ~80% of married Northern men, Buhari inclusive, should be in jail.

Nigeria's executive arm of government sucks!
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by charly4lyf(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
Better
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by superstar1(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Traditional wedding is not necessarily compulsory.(My parents never had one...church only+ registration at church by the Law.).

But a child is not legally recognized as being able to give valid consent to se...x.....even if the parents say yes.(and the parents could be prosecuted under the law if they facilitated such a union).

I really doubt whether there is any marriage without the traditional aspect of it being done. Your parent's own is an exception and aberration. Most times the traditional is even compulsory more than the court or church or mosque. Speaking from Yoruba marriages, dunno of the rest though.

The parental consent is really taking responsibility for the child, i believe. I think they should make the stupid law more explicit, it is quite ambiguous and a smart criminal will get a way with it easily.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by scentmarlc(m): 4:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

am sure yu know a link to back up yur claims wud be nice for a start. I love yur passion though
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by esere826: 4:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

thanks Naptu
for doing some extra research
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by anonimi: 4:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Yes wherever there is misinformation, false propaganda....etc.....I shall be there to always save the day.! smiley

Except......
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
This corrects the misinterpretation most nigerian folks had about the bill.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Anaskie(m): 4:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
gbrown:

pls forget this tale by moonlight, all i can see are two sets of law, one is applicable to the poor man, while the super rich is above this law, now Mr poster, answer this simple question, is senator yerima the senator who married a 10yr old Egyptian not in the same senate with Chris anyanwu? So why has he not been prosecuted?Chris anyanwu is a disgrace to womanhood.
Na wa o. Even after the lengthy explanation given by the Op, you could still type this?

Bros, please its not the function of the Senate to prosecute.

And how exactly is she a disgrace to womanhood?

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by excellentmomma(f): 4:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
But why did they have to classify the ages multiple times if anything above age 11 is not consent? Why not say strait away, 18 and below, 17 and below or 16 and below, and martial out the consequent penalty.

They want to create confusion in the law courts right? Anybody could get away with defiling age 12 to 18 as it is, it's just pure law jargons.

Yerima would have bribed those who tinkered with the age of a child in that bill grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

After Tinubu’s Letter To Oyegun, Buhari Meets APC Chairman / Ex- Commissioner In Police Net For Defiling 15-yr Old In Calabar / 2023 Presidency: APC Govs, Senators Behind Tinubu To Succeed Buhari – Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.