Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,346 members, 7,815,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? (2758 Views)

Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer / How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Christ Died / Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2015
Luke 22:
39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. 45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

The gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) were written decades (30 - 40 years) after this event. No one was with Jesus when He said that prayer. There was no one watching; no eyewitnesses. How was the event recorded? Or was the author (who was not Luke) just making up a story?

2 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Cutehector(m): 4:33pm On Jun 07, 2015
The bible was written based on inspirations directly from the holy spirit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:33pm On Jun 07, 2015
The Holy Spirit
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2015
Or maybe he told the disciples when he rose from the dead

1 Like

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by ozolity(m): 4:43pm On Jun 07, 2015
My brother, it was revealed to them. The Bible was written by the inspiration of God. U wud ve asked who recorded the creation account on Genesis one. Was Moses there when God was doing the creation?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 4:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
mkpakanaodogwu:
Or maybe he told the disciples when he rose from the dead
mkpakanaodogwu:
The Holy Spirit
Cutehector:

Ok. I was expecting this. Now either the Holy Spirit inspired Matthew and didn't inspire the other writers (Luke, Mark and John), or it never inspired Matthew.

Didn't inspire the other writers in the sense that their story contradict. For example, the genealogy of Jesus in Luke contradicts Matthew's; the number of people who visited the tomb of Jesus are different in all accounts; Luke puts the death of Jesus after the day of Passover, while John puts it on the Passover etc. Take your choice.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 4:47pm On Jun 07, 2015
ozolity:
My brother, it was revealed to them. The Bible was written by the inspiration of God. U wud ve asked who recorded the creation account on Genesis one. Was Moses there when God was doing the creation?

Still, the writer of Genesis never claimed to be inspired. The author of Peter and Timothy claimed that.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by bigtt76(f): 4:47pm On Jun 07, 2015
Holy Spirit get levo naaaa grin

Pr0ton:

Ok. I was expecting this. Now either the Holy Spirit inspired Matthew and didn't inspire the other writers (Luke, Mark and John), or it never inspired Matthew.

Didn't inspire the other writers in the sense that their story contradict. For example, the genealogy of Jesus in Luke contradicts Matthew's; the number of people who visited the tomb of Jesus are different in all accounts; Luke puts the death of Jesus before the day of Passover, while John puts it after the Passover etc. Take your choice.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Cutehector(m): 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
Pr0ton:

Didn't inspire the other writers in the sense that their story contradict. For example, the genealogy of Jesus in Luke contradicts Matthew's; the number of people who visited the tomb of Jesus are different in all accounts; Luke puts the death of Jesus before the day of Passover, while John puts it after the Passover etc. Take your choice.
Man's wisdom is foolishnes unto God and the lord's foolishness is wiser dan man's wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 4:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:
Man's wisdom is foolishnes unto God and the lord's foolishness is wiser dan man's wisdom.

Was that a "run-away"?

4 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 4:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
bigtt76:
Holy Spirit get levo naaaa grin

grin grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by blackmartial(m): 4:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
probably the angel that was with him? hahaha.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Rilwon: 4:56pm On Jun 07, 2015
Cutehector:

hahahahahahahaha grin grin christians and pure lies.

4 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
Pr0ton:
Luke 22:
39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. 45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

The gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) were written decades (30 - 40 years) after this event. No one was with Jesus when He said that prayer. There was no one watching; no eyewitnesses. How was the event recorded? Or was the author (who was not Matthew) just making up a story?
2nd peter 2:20-21:: 20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. So the Holy Spirit of God is the author of the Bible, not matthew, nor james, nor peter...

1 Like

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 5:16pm On Jun 07, 2015
polymathic:
2nd peter 2:20-21:: 20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. So the Holy Spirit of God is the author of the Bible, not matthew, nor james, nor peter...

Cool. Holy Spirit says above three people visted Jesus's tomb (Luke 24:10) and aslo says only two people did (Matt 28:1). Which is right?

3 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
Pr0ton:
Luke 22:

The gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) were written decades (30 - 40 years) after this event. No one was with Jesus when He said that prayer. There was no one watching; no eyewitnesses. How was the event recorded? Or was the author (who was not Matthew) just making up a story?
one thing is clear, those epistles were written years after the Ascention........so the memories of the writers must have been a little jiggled that their accounts slightly differ individualy.
Notwithstanding, the purpose for the epistles is not to tell us old fables of men, but to let us see the life of Christ from different perspectiives, different individualities, who wrote their own accounts without consulting eachother, yet vindicated one point:
that Jesus Christ, the Son of the Almighty God, lived a sinless life, was crucified and rose again, and is with the Father.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2015
basbone:

one thing is clear, those epistles were written years after the Ascention........so the memories of the writers must have been a little jiggled that their accounts slightly differ individualy.
Notwithstanding, the purpose for the epistles is not to tell us old fables of men, but to let us see the life of Christ from different perspectiives, different individualities, who wrote their own accounts without consulting eachother, yet vindicated one point:
that Jesus Christ, the Son of the Almighty God, lived a sinless life, was crucified and rose again, and is with the Father.

Apart from skipping the question "how did the writer of Luke 22 write about such event when, apparently, no one was there to witness it?" and not disturbed by the idea that s/he might be making up something, you repeated same point that can be found in ancient mythology. Why did the early Christians (non-gnostic) pick four out of the many Gospels available then? They thought they were not inspired. Sure the OP could have been one of the criteria they used in determining which was inspired or not. Same thing we're applying to this particular Gospel of Luke, and if no answer/rational explanation is provided (and which seems there is none) then we can discard the Gospel as non-inspired, too. Or we can follow the other alternative: getting naive and deluding ourselves into believing something we knowledgeably know is false, and consequently keep proclaiming things that make us look ridiculous like the words in bold in your post.

5 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 07, 2015
Pr0ton:
Luke 22:

Holy Ghost.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2015
barrnchedo:
Holy Ghost.

Pr0ton:

Didn't inspire the other writers in the sense that their story contradict. For example, the genealogy of Jesus in Luke contradicts Matthew's; the number of people who visited the tomb of Jesus are different in all accounts; Luke puts the death of Jesus before the day of Passover, while John puts it on the Passover etc. Take your choice.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by adexsimply(m): 8:17pm On Jun 07, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Nobody: 12:07am On Jun 08, 2015
Pr0ton:

Apart from skipping the question "how did the writer of Luke 22 write about such event when, apparently, no one was there to witness it?" and not disturbed by the idea that s/he might be making up something, you repeated same point that can be found in ancient mythology. Why did the early Christians (non-gnostic) pick four out of the many Gospels available then? They thought they were not inspired. Sure the OP could have been one of the criteria they used in determining which was inspired or not. Same thing we're applying to this particular Gospel of Luke, and if no answer/rational explanation is provided (and which seems there is none) then we can discard the Gospel as non-inspired, too. Or we can follow the other alternative: getting naive and deluding ourselves into believing something we knowledgeably know is false, and consequently keep proclaiming things that make us look ridiculous like the words in bold in your post.
Do you believe in God?? If yes,
then do you believe Satan exist?? If yes,
then Do you believe that Satan was once a beautiful arch angel, ushering praises to God If yes,
then do u believe that Satan rebelled against God and was cast down from heaven If yes,
then u are any of Christian, Jew, Muslim or Satanist (yes satanists believe the same too!) but......

What made u believe all these
Are they written in the bible or koran
Who was there when all these were happening
So you see? Christianity is a religion of believe in faith. I was not there when God created the world.
I wasnt there when God divided the red sea.
I was not there when Daniel was thrown into the den of lions (who even recorded that, was it Daniel)
I wasnt there when the devil came to tempt Jesus in the wilderness (infact, Jesus wasnt the one that recorded it and His disciples were unlearned men)
I wasnt there when Jesus was speaking to the thieves cruxified beside him (i wonder whether His desciples were there even)
But I am here to quote a scripture......"the comforter whom the father will send, will teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance...."
so the Holy Spirit taught them all these and brought it to their remembrance.
The Holy Spirit may make me see a vision from one perspective, yet make someone else to see the same vision from a clearer succinct perspective. We dont have the same grace, and the Holy Spirit cannot work in us all the same way, else it becomes magic.
Paul had a revelation of the past glory of Christ. John the beloved had a revelation of the future glory of Christ in a succinct manner. Thats how the Holy Spirit works!
Now to ur question........
If u can tell me who recorded the meeting between God and Satan over the life of Job or
who recorded the argument between Moses and God in the burning bush Or
who recorded the dispute between the arch angel and satan over the body of moses (read Jude)
Then i will tell u who recorded that statement made by Jesus.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2015
basbone:

Do you believe in God?? If yes,
then do you believe Satan exist?? If yes,
then Do you believe that Satan was once a beautiful arch angel, ushering praises to God If yes,
then do u believe that Satan rebelled against God and was cast down from heaven If yes,
then u are any of Christian, Jew, Muslim or Satanist (yes satanists believe the same too!) but......

It's No. I don't. Why should I believe what people wrote for believing's sake in lack of evidence to substantiate their claim? It's utterly irrational and ridiculous. Only fear draws people to believe these kind of things, even when it is unbelievable. And if you're talking about Atheistic Satanists, they don't believe those tales happened for real. They make use of the tales in the figurative sense. They don't believe Satan and any other characters exist.

What made u believe all these
Are they written in the bible or koran
Who was there when all these were happening
So you see? Christianity is a religion of believe in faith. I was not there when God created the world.
I wasnt there when God divided the red sea.
I was not there when Daniel was thrown into the den of lions (who even recorded that, was it Daniel)
I wasnt there when the devil came to tempt Jesus in the wilderness (infact, Jesus wasnt the one that recorded it and His disciples were unlearned men)
I wasnt there when Jesus was speaking to the thieves cruxified beside him (i wonder whether His desciples were there even)
But I am here to quote a scripture......"the comforter whom the father will send, will teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance...."
so the Holy Spirit taught them all these and brought it to their remembrance.
The Holy Spirit may make me see a vision from one perspective, yet make someone else to see the same vision from a clearer succinct perspective. We dont have the same grace, and the Holy Spirit cannot work in us all the same way, else it becomes magic.
Paul had a revelation of the past glory of Christ. John the beloved had a revelation of the future glory of Christ in a succinct manner. Thats how the Holy Spirit works!
Now to ur question........
If u can tell me who recorded the meeting between God and Satan over the life of Job or
who recorded the argument between Moses and God in the burning bush Or
who recorded the dispute between the arch angel and satan over the body of moses (read Jude)
Then i will tell u who recorded that statement made by Jesus.

The same purpose this thread was created for. No one was there. And the only obvious conclusion or consequence is they made it up. The claim that Holy Spirit inspired them is not only self-comtradictory, it is only claimed by them. Holy Spirit never told you it inspired them and so believe, did it?

2 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 08, 2015
Pr0ton:

It's No. I don't. Why should I believe what people wrote for believing's sake in lack of evidence to substantiate their claim?
then i see no reason arguing with you on this matter. I rest my case here.

1 Like

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Scholar8200(m): 5:56pm On Jun 08, 2015
Of course the Holy Spirit did, by revelation (in accordance with Christ's promise in John 16:15b)! For example, the Lord's supper was between Jesus and the twelve. However,Paul, before ever meeting the other apostles physically got a detailed revelation of the ordinance exactly as it happened:

1 Corinthians 11:23- 24

23 For I received from the Lord Himself that which I passed on to you [it was given to me personally], that the Lord Jesus on the night when He was treacherously delivered up and while His betrayal was in progress took bread,
24 And when He had given thanks, He broke [it] and said, Take, eat. This is My body, which is broken for you. . .

Galatians 1:12
12 For indeed I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but [it came to me] through a [direct] revelation [given] by Jesus Christ (the Messiah).
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 6:09pm On Jun 08, 2015
Scholar8200:
Of course the Holy Spirit did, by revelation (in accordance with Christ's promise in John 16:15b)! For example, the Lord's supper was between Jesus and the twelve. However,Paul, before ever meeting the other apostles physically got a detailed revelation of the ordinance exactly as it happened:

1 Corinthians 11:23- 24

23 For I received from the Lord Himself that which I passed on to you [it was given to me personally], that the Lord Jesus on the night when He was treacherously delivered up and while His betrayal was in progress took bread,
24 And when He had given thanks, He broke [it] and said, Take, eat. This is My body, which is broken for you. . .

Galatians 1:12
12 For indeed I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but [it came to me] through a [direct] revelation [given] by Jesus Christ (the Messiah).

Saving the OP from repeating posts (and thus get bored) by reading previous posts is a virtue.

Pr0ton:

Didn't inspire the other writers in the sense that their story contradict. For example, the genealogy of Jesus in Luke contradicts Matthew's; the number of people who visited the tomb of Jesus are different in all accounts; Luke puts the death of Jesus before the day of Passover, while John puts it on the Passover etc. Take your choice.

1 Like

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Scholar8200(m): 7:12pm On Jun 08, 2015
Pr0ton:

The Genealogy of Matthew traced Christ's descent from Joseph while that of Luke traced it from Mary.

As regards the passover, the Lord's supper (before crucifixion) was held on the day of the passover (see Luke 22:13-23) hence it is not possible that Luke will at the same time say the crucifixion was before the passover!

As regards the number of those at the tomb, notice that the emphasis of the revelation to Paul was not peripherals such as the location of the supper or where John placed his head not even the name of the owner of the house, but matters relevant to redemption; the omission of a name by one, while not emphasizing the number involved by the other, does not necessarily mean a contradiction.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Princewell2012(m): 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2015
@proton, why are you disturbing urself over nothing, i have gone tru ur signature, i discovered you are not a christian, and you are just seeking attention and just coursing unnecessary havoc into
the body of Christ. How i wish they will ignore all ur useless post and satanic topics. The lord will judge you weather you believe it or not.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 10:05pm On Jun 09, 2015
Scholar8200:

The Genealogy of Matthew traced Christ's descent from Joseph while that of Luke traced it from Mary.

How can a reasonable person take this as Mary's genealogy when it reads, "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli..."?

As regards the passover, the Lord's supper (before crucifixion) was held on the day of the passover (see Luke 22:13-23) hence it is not possible that Luke will at the same time say the crucifixion was before the passover!

There was a flaw in my post that led to this misunderstanding. In Luke, Jesus died after the Passover Luke 22:13-20; Luke 22:66. In John, he died on the Passover John 19:14-30. I've corrected that. And still, an apparent contradiction.

As regards the number of those at the tomb, notice that the emphasis of the revelation to Paul was not peripherals such as the location of the supper or where John placed his head not even the name of the owner of the house, but matters relevant to redemption; the omission of a name by one, while not emphasizing the number involved by the other, does not necessarily mean a contradiction.

That's no excuse for a kind of an all-knowing Holy Spirit who wouldn't want his gospels to appear contradictory.

That's not all the contradictions in the gospels. There are lot of them. Some are the location where Jesus appeared to his disciples. Was it in Jerusalem as Luke says, or Galilee as Matthew says? Did Jesus teach his sermon on the mount as Matthew says, or in the plain as Luke says? Was the hometown of Joseph and Mary Bathelem as recorded in Matthew, or Nazareth as in Luke? Was Jesus born during the days of Herod as found in Matthew, or Quirinius as found in Luke? And many more.

You can up with the "run-away" explanation again by saying though one affirms Nigeria gained independence in 1950, and another says 1970, there's nothing wrong with their idea. The most important thing is Nigeria gained independence.

2 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 10:12pm On Jun 09, 2015
Princewell2012:
@proton, why are you disturbing urself over nothing, i have gone tru ur signature, i discovered you are not a christian, and you are just seeking attention and just coursing unnecessary havoc into
the body of Christ. How i wish they will ignore all ur useless post and satanic topics. The lord will judge you weather you believe it or not.

If you've got no explanation to give, and which is very bad of you as a Christian, take another job of making and planning judgement with your lord. As for me, I don't care.

2 Likes

Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Scholar8200(m): 9:41am On Jun 10, 2015
Pr0ton:

How can a reasonable person take this as Mary's genealogy when it reads, "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli..."?
Women's name hardly appear in genealogies; in tracing the genealogy from Mother's side, the name of the son-in-law is used else Joseph cannot be the son of Heli and Jacob at the same time; he was son-in-law to Heli (or how many female names are found in that list?)

There was a flaw in my post that led to this misunderstanding. In Luke, Jesus died after the Passover Luke 22:13-20; Luke 22:66. In John, he died on the Passover John 19:14-30. I've corrected that. And still, an apparent contradiction.

The passover was not a day event it was a weeklong(and each week has its own sabbath) event see Exodus 12:14-17 Leviticus 23:5-7

And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever. 15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. 16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you. 17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread;

5 On the fourteenth day of the first month at twilight is the Lord’s Passover.
6 On the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
7 On the first day you shall have a holy “calling together;” you shall do no servile or laborious work on that day.
(AMP)

The two ran concurrently and the blanket word 'passover' must have been because the activities in the latter was a part of the former.

Some are the location where Jesus appeared to his disciples. Was it in Jerusalem as Luke says, or Galilee as Matthew says?
Jesus appeared to His disciples more than once after resurrection. Sometimes not all of them but only a few were present when He appeared.
Acts 1:3 shows that He was with them for forty days before Ascension.

3 To them also He showed Himself alive after His passion (His suffering in the garden and on the cross) by [a series of] many convincing demonstrations [unquestionable evidences and infallible proofs], appearing to them during forty days and talking [to them] about the things of the kingdom of God.
(AMP)

Did Jesus teach his sermon on the mount as Matthew says, or in the plain as Luke says?
It was on the Mount. The verse you are referring to in Luke, as regards the sermon on the mount, was commenced on another paragraph. Mark clarifies that after the disciples were chosen they all... Mark 3:19
19 and Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house.

Was the hometown of Joseph and Mary Bathelem as recorded in Matthew, or Nazareth as in Luke? Was Jesus born during the days of Herod as found in Matthew, or Quirinius as found in Luke? And many more.
Kindly specify these with quotes lest if I stated them, you claim that those were not the ones you had in mind.
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by mustymatic(m): 10:48am On Jun 10, 2015
Cutehector:
Have u received urs too?
Re: Who Recorded The Prayer Of Jesus About Letting His Cup Pass Him? by Pr0ton: 3:23pm On Jun 13, 2015
Scholar8200:
Women's name hardly appear in genealogies; in tracing the genealogy from Mother's side, the name of the son-in-law is used else Joseph cannot be the son of Heli and Jacob at the same time; he was son-in-law to Heli (or how many female names are found in that list?)

The idea that females name don't appear in genealogies to explain a case like this doesn't hold water. Five female names (Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary herself) are mentioned in the genealogy of Matthew. An all-knowing Holy Spirit (a non-author of confusion) would have simply included Mary's name or state explicitly that the genealogy is of Mary, that is if it intended it to Mary's.

The verse is apparently clear that the genealogy is of Joseph. Giving Joseph Heli as a father is just one of the many errors in the Bible. So your point holds no real point.

The passover was not a day event it was a weeklong(and each week has its own sabbath) event see Exodus 12:14-17 Leviticus 23:5-7

And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever. 15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. 16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you. 17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread;

5 On the fourteenth day of the first month at twilight is the Lord’s Passover.
6 On the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
7 On the first day you shall have a holy “calling together;” you shall do no servile or laborious work on that day.
(AMP)

The two ran concurrently and the blanket word 'passover' must have been because the activities in the latter was a part of the former.

Whether it's for seven days, here's how the Passover goes:

12 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, 2 “This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year. 3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household. 4 If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbor, having taken into account the number of people there are. You are to determine the amount of lamb needed in accordance with what each person will eat. 5 The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. 6 Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the members of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight. 7 Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs. 8 That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast. 9 Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire—with the head, legs and internal organs.10 Do not leave any of it till morning; if some is left till morning, you must burn it.11 This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is theLord’s Passover."

The lamb is to be slaughtered in the evening of Nisan 14, and eaten in the night, before Nisan 15 (the next day)

In Luke 22 Jesus ordered his disciples to prepare the passover and ate with them, which would definitely be Nisan 14. That same night Jesus was arrested, but not cruxified. It was until the next day, Nisan 15, that he was cruxified Luke 22:66

In John 18:28, "28 Then the Jewish leaders took Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness they did not enter the palace,because they wanted to be able to eat the Passover.", it was the day the Passover was about to be eaten. But before that morning, John 18:3 So Judas came to the garden, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and the Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons., Jesus had been arrested the night prior to the morning. And in John 19:14 It was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about noon [Close to evening, when the Passover was to be eaten] Jesus was cruxified (not arrested in Luke's account) - contradiction.

Jesus appeared to His disciples more than once after resurrection. Sometimes not all of them but only a few were present when He appeared.
Acts 1:3 shows that He was with them for forty days before Ascension.

3 To them also He showed Himself alive after His passion (His suffering in the garden and on the cross) by [a series of] many convincing demonstrations [unquestionable evidences and infallible proofs], appearing to them during forty days and talking [to them] about the things of the kingdom of God.
(AMP)

‘Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, “He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee;there you will see him.” This is my message for you. [Matthew 28:5b-7, NRSV]

“Suddenly Jesus met them and said, ‘Greetings!’ And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, ‘Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.’" [Matthew 28:9-10, NRSV]

The deal between Jesus and his disciples was for them to meet in Galilee. That happened in Matthew:

“Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted.” [Matthew 28:16-17, NRSV]

But it was at a different location in Luke

That same hour they got up and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven and their companions gathered together. They were saying, ‘The Lord has risen indeed, and he has appeared to Simon!’ …While they were talking about this, Jesus himself stood among themand said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost.’ [Lk 24:33-34, 36-37, NRSV]

Now this isn't the question about the number of times Jesus appeared to his disciples, but the location at which he appeared to them in accordance to his words in Matt 28:9-10

It was on the Mount. The verse you are referring to in Luke, as regards the sermon on the mount, was commenced on another paragraph. Mark clarifies that after the disciples were chosen they all... Mark 3:19
19 and Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house.

You've made no point here. Both sermons have parallels, but at different location. Commencing on another paragraph has nothing to do with the information being passed.

Kindly specify these with quotes lest if I stated them, you claim that those were not the ones you had in mind.

I'm particularly interested in the timeline of Jesus's birth. Was it during the days of Herod, or while Quinirius was governor over Syria? in Matthew and Luke respective.

I would also love to see how you deal with Matthew 10:10 and Mark 6:8.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Real Life Story I Need Help To Leave Occult Group Ogboni / Hell Fire Teaching does not make sense- A look at Rev King Burning Sinners! / Daddy Freeze Explains Why Lucifer Is Not Satan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.