Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,759 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer (9956 Views)

Where Did Closing Eyes During Prayer Mentioned In The Bible? / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? / Is Closing Eyes While Praying Biblical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by lopjohnny(m): 1:06am On May 08, 2016
Closing of the eyes while praying, does it really matter or is it even biblical that you must close your eyes when praying
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Tapout(m): 1:11am On May 08, 2016
dunno o... IMO, I feel it's to avoid distractions

32 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by chivic(m): 1:26am On May 08, 2016
When you close your eyes most times, you concentrate more,but when you open your eyes,you could easily be distracted.Even voodoo and other secret society close eye,in other to concentrate Beter.
However,its not a command in the Bible

17 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by tripplephi: 1:34am On May 08, 2016
lopjohnny:
Closing of the eyes while praying, does it really matter or is it even biblical that you must close your eyes when praying

There is no scripture to this effect of closing eyes... Just like there is no scripture for kneeling down or wearing scarf to pray... Hence if you can stay FOCUSED with your eyes open then pray that way... The main point is prayer must be without ceasing. Bless ya

4 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Nobody: 2:59am On May 08, 2016
Sometimes u see clearly with ur eyes closed.

7 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Freedom4us: 4:46am On May 08, 2016
Nope it just helps concentration.

it's not a requriement

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by ironben(m): 5:39am On May 08, 2016
No sir, it is not.

If you disagree, try that while driving in traffic. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by ngmgeek(m): 7:40am On May 08, 2016
Nope
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by tspun(m): 7:40am On May 08, 2016
These are the reasons while u should close your eyes when praying

1. So that you won't be carried away/arouse by the a.s.s of that sister standing/sitting in front of you
2. so not to feel inferior/condemned by the vibrant prayer of that brother/sister beside you
3. We close our eyes sometimes for the Pastor's selfish mission (can't expand on this, pls use ur initiative)
4. To give 100% of our attention to God
5. To avoid talking to another whilst prayer in going on
6. To avoid seeing the overly-emotional sisters/brothers sentiments.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by pinkiberry(m): 7:40am On May 08, 2016
Yes, to avoid distraction sent by the evil one.

2 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by omowolewa: 7:41am On May 08, 2016
No, especially while praying for a mad person or when you're the driver of a moving vehicle or you need to be conscious of your environment.

But it good to avoid distraction and probably encourage other to answer alter calls.

2 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by fireforfire: 7:41am On May 08, 2016
If u like pluck out ya eyes while praying. Who cares

2 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by gentlesoul196: 7:41am On May 08, 2016
I open mine most time so I can see the spirit descending on me

2 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by maduxs: 7:42am On May 08, 2016
Ya as long as you are safe where you're praying
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by sassiemyk: 7:44am On May 08, 2016
It's a personal decision. sometimes one can even pray on his/her heart. closing the eyes when praying is not necessary cos we are told to pray even while we walk on the road, lay down, stand up. etc.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by cold(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2016
Shutting your eyes whilst praying is just another relic of colonial conquest. The early missionaries made the gullible African convert to shut his eyes in the course of praying to his new god. And whilst he was at it, his land was exploited, pillaged and plundered. These are well worn traditions still used today by the so called men of god to fleece the gullible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by IMO22(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2016
The prayers I can emphatically say I received answers to were brief and said wit eyes open.
#IDoWhatWorksForMe
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by greatness22(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2016
Present day Nigeria, i won't advice my enemy to close their eyes oh........

Who closing of eye don epp grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by yinkuscious(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2016
If u are praying alone, u might nt need to, but in a congregation, to avoid distraction its adviseable.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by bluecircle470: 7:44am On May 08, 2016
Concentration is wot matters. Closing of eyes will mk u concentrate the more by nt being distracted from moving objects.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Vince77(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2016
Freedom4us:
Nope it just helps concentration.

it's not a requriement
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by hakeem4(m): 7:45am On May 08, 2016
Nope , but I remembered when I was in sec school that my school Chaplin punished me for not closing my eyes
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by alizma: 7:45am On May 08, 2016
it is not a must and I also don't think is biblical. you can open your eyes and pray if you can completely separate your mindset from your views.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by brightballer(m): 7:45am On May 08, 2016
Watch And Pray!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by benedictac(f): 7:45am On May 08, 2016
Why we close eyes while praying is to avoid distractions and to be fully focused.

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Adonis3: 7:45am On May 08, 2016
chivic:
When you close your eyes most times, you concentrate more,but when you open your eyes,you could easily be distracted.Even voodoo and other secret society close eye,in other to concentrate Beyer.
However,irs not a command in the Bible
wah bouh muslims

tripplephi:

There is no scripture to this effect of closing eyes... Just like there is no scripture for kneeling down or wearing scarf to pray... Hence if you can stay FOCUSED with your eyes open then pray that way... The main point is prayer must be without ceasing. Bless ya

[b]lol... You sure abouh that??cheesy

For the first part, do you mean there's no scripture that commands us to kneel or kneeling at all was never supported by the scriptures

For the second part, unless of course if you're talking specifically about scarf and not just covering of hair

Now here's my take,

It is obvious that we blacks have taken religion more seriously and deeper than the people who even brought it to us

We have become religious extremists which birthed a whole lot of funny "mandatory" practices when the whites have almost forgotten about what they even brought to us (funny enough, they're even doing better than us in every ramification).

Well, how you choose to pray or serve your GOD is simply at your own discretion so long as it doesn't go contrary to what is in the Bible

I keep telling people my faith is based on my understanding of the Bible (of course I could pick a thing or two from religious leaders) but never on my denomination because in the end, GOD doesn't recognise the church you attended![/b]

#Adonis3HasSopken
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Rainbow07(m): 7:45am On May 08, 2016
True talk...i'm easily distracted when my eyez are open

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by tollytexy(m): 7:45am On May 08, 2016
As for me.. one eye opened.. the other closed.. so I'm in between
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Lexusgs430: 7:47am On May 08, 2016
The Bible says be watchful and prayerful. How can you be watchful if you close/shut your eyes?

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by bezimo(m): 7:47am On May 08, 2016
No where in the Bible is it stated that thou must close your eyes when praying.

It became a norm when it was seen as preventing distraction or enhancing focus while praying.

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Nobody: 7:48am On May 08, 2016
It doesn't really matter closing your eyes when praying, but practically people tend to concentrate more closing there eyes, and for you to achieve your core aim of praying you need to avoid distraction completely and concentrate more.......... Am not sure if it is biblically proven......
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by chimaobinelson(m): 7:50am On May 08, 2016
kai, i wan see god

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Am Leaving Christianity For New Age / Cutting Down Witchcraft Covens. / Let's Take A Look At Slavery As Contained In Bible Verses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.