Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church (60320 Views)

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices / Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do / Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by oliver003: 9:37am On Jun 15, 2015
twoondei:
One of my patients bought a 5litre gallon of holy water for 500k from those banner wearing people as treatment for pericarditis after refusing surgery..
He died just after he finished drinking the water.
Things are bad around here
too bad!
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Orunto: 10:12am On Jun 15, 2015
God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:23am On Jun 15, 2015
Imagine!
30watts:

Lol for my church Pastors' wives get special seat sef and some rich folks that always donate money.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by BSlimited: 11:03am On Jun 15, 2015
I love this write up, please i will like to have your contact or you can have mine. Pls do drop your email so i can get in touch with you. Reading your piece gave me hope, that we still have Nigerians who haven't been spiritually bankrupt.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by donj84: 11:06am On Jun 15, 2015
Rendezvou:
There are many unscriptural activities going on in the church today which Christians pretend not to see. The more we keep silent, the worse things would become. Though we are aware that many happenings in the church today are signs of the end time, it is our duty to put things right and strive to revive the ‘old time religion.’

1. Charging Consultation Fee-
Paying certain amount of money before you can see the man of God has become a common practice in many churches nowadays. So many pastors have commercialized deliverance, salvation and spiritual counselling against the Lord’s wish- Matt 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

2. Selling Some Spiritual Items-
I’m more particular about churches selling holy water and anointing oil in plastic containers and bottles where worshippers are disallowed from bringing theirs but compelled to buy from the church. Let them buy from wherever they choose; your role is to ensure those items are blessed and sanctified.

3. Making Tithe Card Compulsory-
I have no objection to the issuance of tithe cards for those who want it. Some churches have denied
members some privileges because they do not have their tithe cards which serve as evidence to know tithe payers. I, like many others prefer paying tithes anonymously. Someone may be paying tithe regularly having his card checked and signed by the pastor and still feign being saved.

4. Setting up too many church societies-
It is unfortunate that church leaders rarely check the activities or attend meetings of these societies. Many have derailed from their essence and a lot of such church societies now run like town meetings, social groups or cooperative societies. Let us cut them to size, review their activities regularly, and ensure prioritization of spiritual events in these societies.

5. Singing and Dancing to Worldly Music-
We really need to watch it here. We listen to hip hops, Rocks etc which are trending and become tempted to copy the rhythm and sometimes lyrics of such music for church use. Many of these songs and dances are not glorifying God so why copying the world? Ladies now twerk and wiggle in sexually provocative styles in churches at the sound of such worldly music. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world , neither the things that are in the world . If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. Choirmasters and Music Coordinators pls take note.

6. Stipulating Minimum Amount for Offering-
Few days ago I was in a gathering and the pastor announced that those who do not have up to a certain amount of money to put down as offering should not bother to come out. This wasn’t the first time I’ll hear this announcement coming from the alter. This approach to collection of fat offerings should not be encouraged in the church. Jesus praised the poor widow who cast just two mites into the treasury because that was all she had [Mark 12: 41-44]. If such marginalization was declared before casting of offering at the temple, the poor widow would not have been able to cast her offering which Jesus acknowledged as the greatest of all offerings. Pastors should stop deterring people from casting their offerings; we do not need to inform them that fingers are not equal. Preach and tell the congregation the benefits of giving bountiful offering to God and let Him nourish His word in their heart and not indirectly telling them, ‘you cannot give the little you have to God.’

7. Organizing sport/game Competitions-
I do not know when sporting became an important spiritual exercise in the church. I once attended a church where a football match between two parishes led to a serious fracas. This later grew to a feud and it took many years for some of the youths and priests to heal the wounds of bitterness sustained during the match. It is more ideal to organize Bible quizzes and competitions which is very much unlikely to sow seeds of discord.

8. Letting out Church Premise/Properties for Secular Purposes-
I my humble opinion, it isn’t right to rent out church properties for non-religious activities such as club parties, political meetings etc. They may violate your rules and you would not be able to stop them until they are through.

9. Organizing Excursions and Sightseeing-
This should be left for our work places, families, schools and any other moderate social groups which we may belong to. Christ sent us to the whole world on a mission assignment to evangelize and win souls to the kingdom and not to catch fun. I have attended an excursion organized by the youth leaders of a church and to be honest, nothing gave glory to God in all we did. In fact, it may turn to an avenue for brethren to engage in sexual immoralities.

10. Inviting Secular Musicians and Comedians to Perform at Church Functions-
I have heard some blasphemous jokes from many comedians lately. It is so saddening that churches invite such performers to anchor programmes and all you hear are disrespectful words against God all in the name of making people laugh. How can you bring a secular musician to the church and expect him to bring down the spirit of God with his or her hip hop or RnB?

May the Lord revive the church again. Amen

Nice right up bro.. I will like to comment on 7 and 9. Organizing football match is to bring unity and fellowship among brethren and also draw people closer to church before working on their spiritual life. Those one u witness was just immature christains that went to play that ball. There's no problem with excursion, its were u going for the exculsion, the kind of program arranged and the spiritual life of the organizers that matter..all boils than to the spiritual life and maturity of the people involve

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by jamesbridget13(f): 11:17am On Jun 15, 2015
Rendezvou:
I love going on excursions too, I love adventures and sightseeing. But you can get this outside the church. It is not a spiritual activity and it has lured some youths to sexual immoralities and other unholy acts in many instances. I do not see why churches would prefer excursions to evangelism. I know a church that has organized several excursions some of which I have attended but yet to mobilize its youth for evangelism of any sort. The issue is that social events has prevailed over spiritual activities in many churches.

It is important to be mindful of activities that would feed only our bodies and not our souls in churches.We should have a life outside the church for moderate social and extra religious activities.
just of recent d youths of my church went for a burial. the next day been sunday? our pastor had to announce his feeling of what he saw. this youths did not only accept acoholic drinks but brought it down to d church n consumed it right in d church leaving d empty cans littered all over d place. u can imagine it. though excursion or social gathering is not bad to me. but i wld support u by saying it has caused lots of harm than good since Christ is only interested in d salvation of our souls

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by systemz(m): 11:53am On Jun 15, 2015
menesheh:
Since all religious believes are man-made, men are still doing some rework to suit whatever motive one intend to achieve.

If Christianity isn't man-made, there wouldn't have been room for all those unbiblical practices, there would have been Devine intervention to fixe those errors.

The only comment that has entered my ears.

Will mankind ever wake up from the phenomenon of mind control!!! It doesn't look likely.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by dubemivan(m): 12:06pm On Jun 15, 2015
At Op I understand some points you trying to make here... but trully, some of your statement here are either biased or untrue! for example the football match, whatever had happened shouldnt be a criteria to admit its wrong for churches to play match together! Do you know that football is one of the most uniting sports in the world and it can play crucial role in uniting the body of Christ too. you mention about Selling spiritual item, I dont think there is anything wrong with a christian or church itself selling such items, atleast it save members the stress and the expense of going into the market to get such things at the time of immediate need. beside if church isnt permitted to sell spiritual items then who do you expect to do carter for the church spiritual items... is it the muslim or the unbeliever in the beer parlour?
For other points you raised, I strongly believe that such churches are either immature or are fake in the real sense... so beware!
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by guyla: 12:13pm On Jun 15, 2015
All this points are synonimous with one man churches (new generation/Business centre churches

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by chinnyness122(f): 1:10pm On Jun 15, 2015
I see nothing wrong in 7 and 9. or is dia a portion of d Bible dat condemned it? undecided
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 15, 2015
mark2sunny:

Which world are u living in bro?

A world in which I have been liberated from the falsehood of monetary tithe that is used to fleece us in our churches. Now where in scriptures are christians asked to tithe money of their income. You have to twist scripture or add to it to arrive at the monetary tithe doctrine preached in churches today.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Coolcube: 1:36pm On Jun 15, 2015
People just come up with theories and postulations about Christianity. True, somethings are not expected in the church but saying sports n excursion are not allowed is the height of it. Well, I guessed there was no where in the Bible where it was stated that churches should have schools, or hospitals, so they shouldn't.
Many overnight pastors who just come with principles that lacked Logos and Rhema.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Coldfeet(f): 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2015
salykely:

I don't know what brought swearing here. You could easily have read my post and waka pass but you lack the freedom to do that. Shalom go in peace
Are you new on nairaland? Check the Islamic section where everbody have to accept Islam before making a post there! Isn't that swearing of oath?

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by samplegirl(f): 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2015
twoondei:
One of my patients bought a 5litre gallon of holy water for 500k from those banner wearing people as treatment for pericarditis after refusing surgery..
He died just after he finished drinking the water.
Things are bad around here

Goodness! He must have been in heaven by now.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by samplegirl(f): 2:39pm On Jun 15, 2015
brize:
Thats why i told you about Catholics here,that excursion we are talking about is just like once in a year for most of the organisations here and what do you think we use all other days to do We worship and evangelize too, for the sexual immoralities in excursions hmmmm i wont tell wat i dont know, when ever we go on excursion the boys has their separate place from the girls, the Rev. Father always stay in the same place with the boys just to check on them................ Catholics dont take likely anything that goes against life and God.....

I was expecting you to give us just one spiritual or moral value excursion will add to a Christian life . I am not saying excursion is evil but how does it concern a body charged with spreading the gospel?

Please tell us.

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by samplegirl(f): 2:42pm On Jun 15, 2015
Orunto:
The churches can do all of those things you are criticising. They can charge for conselling and use the money to improve the household of God. The Bible says, "In all labour is a reward, the talk of the lips tenneth unto penury". King Solomon told us of music being the food of life. God loves music. The Angels sing day and night @ the The Temple of Grace. So when humans sing anywhere anyhow on earth, they please God. God loves Hollywood, Nollywood, Pub-songs etc.

Ever come across where Bible talked about false teaching?

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Orunto: 3:45pm On Jun 15, 2015
Yes, like Barjesus. We know them by inspiration and we avoid them. It is like a Church you don't like their practices, get out of there fast. It is a church, not a court. God judges everybody, every church, every organization etc individually in His own way. What I am preaching is enjoy yourself but don't WASTE yourself and don't waste anything that is created by God and man.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Eze2000(m): 4:25pm On Jun 15, 2015
As a prophet of God myself I'm shocked at all d going-ons in the name of doing God's work. in the early before my calling I was many times a victim of these 'worldly working churches' and of course 'false prophets'. The opinion terrible these things have created in the minds of the average man and indeed the general public is very painful and shameful to say the least.. it is due to this I refused to answer or accept my calling for over 15 years until I got hit with spiritual problem that forced me to bend to my destiny as a man of God.
Sometime few months ago I started a tread here mentioning my being a prophet and seeking a fitting wife. The general response was so horrible I stopped reading after the first 5 posts.
My people there fakes and original in everything most of all in the ministry of the gospel. Whichever church or prophet asks you to buy holy water or olive oil at outrageous prices because it is blessed is a thief and a fraud. A kind hearted rich man donates aid to the poor only to discover its agents distributing the aid are collecting payments for it! ....how will he will feel? How do think God feels? and church or prophet charging money to administer Gods blessings will be stripped of his powers by God and the only alternative will be to join the long line of fake, false or evil prophets who get powers from the occult.
As for title cards and other money grabbing schemes which are a cunning exploitation of God's commands by modern day churches I can only feel shame and apologise to you all out there for the greed of 'your fellow men'

2 Likes

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Harvard13(m): 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
Rendezvou:
I love going on excursions too, I love adventures and sightseeing. But you can get this outside the church. It is not a spiritual activity and it has lured some youths to sexual immoralities and other unholy acts in many instances. I do not see why churches would prefer excursions to evangelism. I know a church that has organized several excursions some of which I have attended but yet to mobilize its youth for evangelism of any sort. The issue is that social events has prevailed over spiritual activities in many churches.

It is important to be mindful of activities that would feed only our bodies and not our souls in churches.We should have a life outside the church for moderate social and extra religious activities.
do u know that pple "tap current" inside church? pple have sex in church toilet. get one thing...its not d excursion dar is bad, its d pple. excursions nd sports are very good ways of uniting youths.
u saw those bad things, didnt u gain anything or see any good thing in the excursion?
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by mccooler(m): 6:11pm On Jun 15, 2015
God bless you

Rendezvou:
There are many unscriptural activities going on in the church today which Christians pretend not to see. The more we keep silent, the worse things would become. Though we are aware that many happenings in the church today are signs of the end time, it is our duty to put things right and strive to revive the ‘old time religion.’

1. Charging Consultation Fee-
Paying certain amount of money before you can see the man of God has become a common practice in many churches nowadays. So many pastors have commercialized deliverance, salvation and spiritual counselling against the Lord’s wish- Matt 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

2. Selling Some Spiritual Items-
I’m more particular about churches selling holy water and anointing oil in plastic containers and bottles where worshippers are disallowed from bringing theirs but compelled to buy from the church. Let them buy from wherever they choose; your role is to ensure those items are blessed and sanctified.

3. Making Tithe Card Compulsory-
I have no objection to the issuance of tithe cards for those who want it. Some churches have denied
members some privileges because they do not have their tithe cards which serve as evidence to know tithe payers. I, like many others prefer paying tithes anonymously. Someone may be paying tithe regularly having his card checked and signed by the pastor and still feign being saved.

4. Setting up too many church societies-
It is unfortunate that church leaders rarely check the activities or attend meetings of these societies. Many have derailed from their essence and a lot of such church societies now run like town meetings, social groups or cooperative societies. Let us cut them to size, review their activities regularly, and ensure prioritization of spiritual events in these societies.

5. Singing and Dancing to Worldly Music-
We really need to watch it here. We listen to hip hops, Rocks etc which are trending and become tempted to copy the rhythm and sometimes lyrics of such music for church use. Many of these songs and dances are not glorifying God so why copying the world? Ladies now twerk and wiggle in sexually provocative styles in churches at the sound of such worldly music. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world , neither the things that are in the world . If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. Choirmasters and Music Coordinators pls take note.

6. Stipulating Minimum Amount for Offering-
Few days ago I was in a gathering and the pastor announced that those who do not have up to a certain amount of money to put down as offering should not bother to come out. This wasn’t the first time I’ll hear this announcement coming from the alter. This approach to collection of fat offerings should not be encouraged in the church. Jesus praised the poor widow who cast just two mites into the treasury because that was all she had [Mark 12: 41-44]. If such marginalization was declared before casting of offering at the temple, the poor widow would not have been able to cast her offering which Jesus acknowledged as the greatest of all offerings. Pastors should stop deterring people from casting their offerings; we do not need to inform them that fingers are not equal. Preach and tell the congregation the benefits of giving bountiful offering to God and let Him nourish His word in their heart and not indirectly telling them, ‘you cannot give the little you have to God.’

7. Organizing sport/game Competitions-
I do not know when sporting became an important spiritual exercise in the church. I once attended a church where a football match between two parishes led to a serious fracas. This later grew to a feud and it took many years for some of the youths and priests to heal the wounds of bitterness sustained during the match. It is more ideal to organize Bible quizzes and competitions which is very much unlikely to sow seeds of discord.

8. Letting out Church Premise/Properties for Secular Purposes-
I my humble opinion, it isn’t right to rent out church properties for non-religious activities such as club parties, political meetings etc. They may violate your rules and you would not be able to stop them until they are through.

9. Organizing Excursions and Sightseeing-
This should be left for our work places, families, schools and any other moderate social groups which we may belong to. Christ sent us to the whole world on a mission assignment to evangelize and win souls to the kingdom and not to catch fun. I have attended an excursion organized by the youth leaders of a church and to be honest, nothing gave glory to God in all we did. In fact, it may turn to an avenue for brethren to engage in sexual immoralities.

10. Inviting Secular Musicians and Comedians to Perform at Church Functions-
I have heard some blasphemous jokes from many comedians lately. It is so saddening that churches invite such performers to anchor programmes and all you hear are disrespectful words against God all in the name of making people laugh. How can you bring a secular musician to the church and expect him to bring down the spirit of God with his or her hip hop or RnB?

May the Lord revive the church again. Amen

1 Like

Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by gbodimowo(m): 7:04pm On Jun 15, 2015
menesheh:
Since all religious believes are man-made, men are still doing some rework to suit whatever motive one intend to achieve.

If Christianity isn't man-made, there wouldn't have been room for all those unbiblical practices, there would have been Devine intervention to fixe those errors.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by Otunbatrafford: 7:31pm On Jun 15, 2015
OK. Continue.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by salykely(m): 9:18pm On Jun 15, 2015
Coldfeet:
Are you new on nairaland? Check the Islamic section where everbody have to accept Islam before making a post there! Isn't that swearing of oath?

Well this particular post made front page. Not that I went searching in Christianity section
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by ArcToyin(m): 10:15pm On Jun 15, 2015
menesheh:

u called christianity man-made?
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by brize(m): 12:12am On Jun 16, 2015
samplegirl:

I was expecting you to give us just one spiritual or moral value excursion will add to a Christian life . I am not saying excursion is evil but how does it concern a body charged with spreading the gospel?

Please tell us.
am done with you my dear...... Have a nice day
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by menesheh(m): 6:43am On Jun 16, 2015
ArcToyin:

u called christianity man-made?

Yes

Are you surprise..

Not only Christianity but thousands of other religious believes are same.
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by karkel(m): 8:16am On Jun 16, 2015
lexy2014:
were they going 2d other side 4 sight seeing or 4 evangelism?
all was part of his ministry while on earth
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by karkel(m): 8:17am On Jun 16, 2015
6280kole:

Go n read the full chapter. What sayest the scripture? How readeth thou?
broda I study ma bible I don't read it..........all was included in early ministry while on earth
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by lexy2014: 8:30am On Jun 16, 2015
karkel:
all was part of his ministry while on earth
D creator of d universe sight seeing. that's interesting. I checked John 4:34 and Luke 4:18. I tried so hard 2 find something on sight seeing but I didn't. Pls check those scriptures. Maybe I missed something
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by karkel(m): 8:35am On Jun 16, 2015
lexy2014:
D creator of d universe sight seeing. that's interesting. I checked John 4:34 and Luke 4:18. I tried so hard 2 find something on sight seeing but I didn't. Pls check those scriptures. Maybe I missed something
pls broda pls dnt read d bible but study it kinly
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by lexy2014: 8:44am On Jun 16, 2015
karkel:
pls broda pls dnt read d bible but study it kinly
its d one I have studied sorry I mean "read" that I have shared with u. If u have superior argument based on d bible u have "studied", pls share. So again, check d scriptures I gave u and revert. Maybe I missed something
Re: 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church by ArcToyin(m): 4:28pm On Jun 16, 2015
menesheh:

Yes

Are you surprise..

Not only Christianity but thousands of other religious believes are same.
am surprised if you are a christian but i wont be surprised if you arent one. i disagree with you capitally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igbo Deities Sold In A Museum Abroad (Photos) / When You Are Now Addicted To Pornography / Sex Between 12-3am Leads To Unanswered Prayers - Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.